Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lamalice are unfortunately also kind of boring as hell for being such a big part of MD. They're not particularly fun to fight and the last stage in particular is tedious as hell due to their three-tier nature.

In case anyone was wondering, localization company:

Also Calvina? Kind of broken as poo poo:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

ImpAtom posted:

The Lamalice are unfortunately also kind of boring as hell for being such a big part of MD. They're not particularly fun to fight and the last stage in particular is tedious as hell due to their three-tier nature.

Set up: The Original Enemy: The experience: The game.

The pay off better be good enough.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I really haven't enjoyed the Lamalice. Like, at least the Yokojin had Kana, Turtle Dude, and those other two monsters to go with them. Lamalice stages just tend to end up being very...bland, so far. Like maybe Debudebabide or someone will be there too but also maybe not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How'd the localization hold for the rest of the game, ImpAtom?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Glad I'm not the only one that finds regular Granteed to be thoroughly underwhelming. Not much armour, can't hit due to size and slow as heck. My Granteed has 7 accuracy upgrades and it still can't hit for toffee without Strike. It's also responsible for the stupidest SR point where you have to just hide everyone in the battleship and wait for the enemies to come to the immobile Granteed and hope they don't blow up the ship. Meanwhile the Bellezelute is strong out of the box, crazy fast, the upgrade is outrageously powerful and Calvina is incredible.

For some reason I thought the Lamalice were an old thing and they were just being faithful to an older design so I was giving them a bit of a pass based on that. I will say getting the Cana and then the other ones in a single counterattack phase is satisfying the first few times though. Kanan, Taihou, Kukuru, ToTetsuOu and the yokijin themselves were weird and cool. The ghosts things so far look like Mischief Maker critters and have a Guyver Megasmasher. Looking forward to seeing where they go though, fingers crossed it won't be another 4 years!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

How'd the localization hold for the rest of the game, ImpAtom?

By and large it's about what you saw at the start. It averages as dry-but-understandable (with a lot of poor punctuation) but occasionally delves into straight incoherent or obviously mistranslated. (There's a scene where Calvina yells about being trained by Ja-Mu for example though they correctly translate it the rest of the time as her training him.) There's a lot of little nagging annoyances that annoyed the hell out of me but I imagine that for most people it will be good enough.

It's basically in the level of "for something you're importing, it's reasonably coherent, if it was given an official US release I'd REALLY expect another editing run."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 14, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The translation is mostly solid. Sometimes it just gets "What?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Eh, even when it gets incoherent it doesn't descend into being complete wordsalad, it's mostly just a word accidentally being used twice or an incorrect word (why instead of what). You can adjust for it and it'll make sense.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

So can I put Calvnina in the Granteed like I did in J?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You can tell it's 1 or 2 editing passes from being totally fine. I don't know if it's where I've got used to it but it definitely feels like it was worse at the start. Touya's dream sequence was particularly not so hot.

MechaX posted:

So can I put Calvnina in the Granteed like I did in J?

Nope! Plot declares that only Touya can use it.

Thinking about it, there's not been many characters since the original two OG games that you can actually swap around. Why can't I put Josh in a Grungust? Hugo can't handle a Gespenst? The guys around for the first two games have a pretty big pool of stuff they can all share and swap round. At least the Aile Chevalier is allowed to equip weapons this time.

Oh! And Haken says "Hikari ni nare" for the Boost Hammer, in case anybody else cares!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

You can tell it's 1 or 2 editing passes from being totally fine. I don't know if it's where I've got used to it but it definitely feels like it was worse at the start. Touya's dream sequence was particularly not so hot.

Nope! Plot declares that only Touya can use it.

Thinking about it, there's not been many characters since the original two OG games that you can actually swap around. Why can't I put Josh in a Grungust? Hugo can't handle a Gespenst? The guys around for the first two games have a pretty big pool of stuff they can all share and swap round. At least the Aile Chevalier is allowed to equip weapons this time.

Oh! And Haken says "Hikari ni nare" for the Boost Hammer, in case anybody else cares!

Josh needs his gimmick system for full piloting potential. Hugo makes no sense though since he canonically piloted a Gespenst.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
He can figure something out! I also realised that maybe Hugo won't pilot a Gespenst because of what happened with Foglia. I'm sorry Hugo I didn't mean it like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really glad the Exexbein isn't pilot locked anymore but I wish the Garmried and Cerberus weren't. It's super-annoying having two units that can't be piloted by anyone else.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not using them anyway, I can't even remember the last thing of any note Hugo or Aqua did. Someone probably commented on the DFC suit once. Again. Meanwhile Josh and Laci are supporting the hell out of Calvina's thing, and pretty much all the grunts have passed through one of the many scenes of Touya and Tenia in the mess hall. Maybe I just took the wrong splits but Hugo and Aqua might as well have not been in the game I read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm not using them anyway, I can't even remember the last thing of any note Hugo or Aqua did. Someone probably commented on the DFC suit once. Again. Meanwhile Josh and Laci are supporting the hell out of Calvina's thing, and pretty much all the grunts have passed through one of the many scenes of Touya and Tenia in the mess hall. Maybe I just took the wrong splits but Hugo and Aqua might as well have not been in the game I read.

Nah. Hugo and Aqua are basically Sir And Madam Not Appearing In This Game. They get a small handful of lines and that's about it.

Of the recent characters they easily got the shortest end of the stick. Even Ing does more.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

They are members of the squad that has no plot relevance in this game. Can't be helped.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really glad the Exexbein isn't pilot locked anymore but I wish the Garmried and Cerberus weren't. It's super-annoying having two units that can't be piloted by anyone else.

Yeah, especially because one will always be empty!

Is Gilliam's ace as bad it reads on the wiki? Auto-scan within 10 squares? And I wish Aussenseiter proc'd Ratsel's by itself but I guess he'll have to hang near Gilliam for a while. IS there a list of what counts as what colour, I'm colour blind so it would be nice. For Haken's ace: do subpilots count? If so then twinning him with Ibis gets him +20% from Aschen + Ibis/Tsugumi/Sleigh and I don't think there's anything else with as many girls. Kei's ace in Z3 counted subpilots for sure, but it was a much more subtle effect damage-wise.

Caphi posted:

Haken calls Aqua Miss Celeb Legs or something and I think that's it. Hugo pipes up a bit in the Touya route at the start as the leader of the squad until Kai shows up and then is never seen or heard from again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Is Gilliam's ace as bad it reads on the wiki? Auto-scan within 10 squares?

Yeah, it's pretty weak and actually annoying because it slows down turn starts.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

Is Gilliam's ace as bad it reads on the wiki? Auto-scan within 10 squares? And I wish Aussenseiter proc'd Ratsel's by itself but I guess he'll have to hang near Gilliam for a while. IS there a list of what counts as what colour, I'm colour blind so it would be nice. For Haken's ace: do subpilots count? If so then twinning him with Ibis gets him +20% from Aschen + Ibis/Tsugumi/Sleigh and I don't think there's anything else with as many girls. Kei's ace in Z3 counted subpilots for sure, but it was a much more subtle effect damage-wise.

You don't even need to be colorblind, I paired Katina (Gigan) with Sanger last time but now I have no idea if Dygenguar is considered black, red, both, or neither.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the record: Dygenguard is black, Haken's ace does count subpilots including Ascen

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's pretty weak and actually annoying because it slows down turn starts.

Jesus I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. If scan did the evasion down/accuracy up effect that it sometimes does (I think it did it in W?) then that'd be something, but just regular scan? I can see it saving me all of 3 of Eun's SP on the rare occasion I want to scan something.

Caphi posted:

You don't even need to be colorblind, I paired Katina (Gigan) with Sanger last time but now I have no idea if Dygenguar is considered black, red, both, or neither.

At least Katina's activates if she's in a red thing which should hopefully cover Red Grungust 2 + 3, Red Gespenst, GIgan, Red Exbein and Yuuki's Randgrith or whatever its called.

Dygenguard is black though? Geez. Thanks for the help!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Jesus I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. If scan did the evasion down/accuracy up effect that it sometimes does (I think it did it in W?) then that'd be something, but just regular scan? I can see it saving me all of 3 of Eun's SP on the rare occasion I want to scan something.

At least Katina's activates if she's in a red thing which should hopefully cover Red Grungust 2 + 3, Red Gespenst, GIgan, Red Exbein and Yuuki's Randgrith or whatever its called.

Dygenguard is black though? Geez. Thanks for the help!

Katina's ace bonus does count Grungust 3 which is yet another reason it is the ideal robot for her.

And yeah, Dygenguard is black which makes parking it next to Ratsel super-ideal.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I started pairing Ratsel with the Type 0, so I hope that counts as black.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah the Kyosuke/Sanger + Ratsel/Excellen combo deathball around the map anyway for me so that should be a good time. I'd expect the Type 0 to count too, but you'll soon find out once Ratsel is aced"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like the Type 0 should go with the Type 3 just on grounds of being the Grungusts with P-ALL chest blasters.

P-ALLs are weird. I'm feeling like putting Lamia back in the Angelg now that I have the Brigandy so they can do that together and also snipe things together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I started pairing Ratsel with the Type 0, so I hope that counts as black.

It does but I don't think his sub-unit counts? At least it didn't seem to to me.

I paired Katina with Compikaiser and Brigandy with Gespenst Haken with various optional weapons for a good chunk of the game before I shoved Al Van in there.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

After going from 12 deployment slots + 2 forced deployments on one mission to a whopping loving 9 slots on the next, I may very well have just given my TV the finger.

Goddamn this is getting annoying.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Caphi posted:

I feel like the Type 0 should go with the Type 3 just on grounds of being the Grungusts with P-ALL chest blasters.

P-ALLs are weird. I'm feeling like putting Lamia back in the Angelg now that I have the Brigandy so they can do that together and also snipe things together.

Try Brigandy+long range Leonysus team, their ranges and attack types match perfectly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As I understand it, people are mostly disappointed with Calvina in MD because big parts of her J plot are kind of just gone. Al Van didn't murder her coworkers anymore, and in fact sorta stops existing as an antagonist pretty fast. Calvina's still mad, but not to the absurdly hilarious extent that sort of carried you through how boring J was. Her big retribution scene when she gets the Brigandi was practically a footnote compared to all the hype Dracodeus got. Jua-Mu's hatred of her is pretty much the only part of her plot that was fully preserved, but he's also literally the only Fury antagonist worthy of note so it kind of seems more like the game just dropped the ball hard on writing the Fury.

Meanwhile with Touya, while his plot isn't exactly poetry it's the obvious A Plot. His events from J are greatly expanded, and while the Granteed sucks it's reaaaaally clear that they blew big chunks of the budget on the Dracodeus' animations. Contrast the Brigandi, which while incredibly overpowered is also sorta lackluster looking.

So it's both Calvina's plot getting trimmed and Touya's plot getting a huge spotlight shone on it. This was inevitable, and it's not a bad thing IMO (I wouldn't have wanted a full game of Calvina Smash either), but it's still something you can be disappointed about if you were a fan of Calvina's route in J.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Do you guys have a list of suggested tag teams? I really don't know what kind of synergy I'm looking for right now and just kind of throwing people together that I think might work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Contrast the Brigandi, which while incredibly overpowered is also sorta lackluster looking.

... What?

Brigandi has some of my favorite animations in the game and I can't really imagine why it would be lackluster unless you're just comparing melee attack animations to ranged attack animations.

Like most of what you said doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Calvina has pretty much the entire first half of the game (and is only prevented from having the entire first half of the game by the Touya path split where he doesn't even get his robot until just before they join together.) It swaps over to being more about Touya in the second half for certain but that is in comparison to Touya's first half being entirely sidelined or getting kidnapped multiple times. Even then Calvina has a lot more antagonism with Ja-Mu than Touya does (up to and including him having an exclusive Ace bonus just for her).

Basically the only thing I can think them significantly changing is Al Van being most instantly not a bad guy and that's kinda necessary considering how poorly it was handled in J.

Edit: MD's plot is fairly thin overall but if I had to say someone got screwed by it it would be the GC guys who just kind of meander around despite it being their debut game. The GC plot wasn't exactly big in the first place but they turned out any chance to really flesh it out and hilariously murder all the Gardisword so they don't even get the big reconciliation scene like the J guys do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 14, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Haken and the Hyperion are a real obvious combination because Haken's Ace bonus gives him a damage buff for each female subpilot. Him having Attacker is the icing on the cake.

Anybody with Synchronize or whatever that spirit was called can be pretty fun to pair with people with absurd stats.

If they have Accel/Quicken, it's always worth throwing them in.

As a side note, pairing together love interests tends to be a bad idea because either A) they have Ace bonuses that rely on being separate units (Josh/Glacies, Arado/Seolla, probably a few others) or B) the typical One Is Melee and One Is Ranged hits them hard and you end up with one half of the Twin being useless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought Gundam EXFB for the hell of it. I haven't owned one of these since Gundam vs. Z-Gundam like ten years ago. There sure are a lot more MSs now. Turn A sure is weird, with double hammers as its main ranged weapons and the beam rifle as a sub weapon. Gyan's shield can release air mines! That's all for now.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ImpAtom posted:

calvina buddies high five, but gently caress you bamco for disabling all sharing on ps4 jesus christ

and to think, i was sure we wouldn't get anything as busted as Z3's action economy and the Wing Zero in this game!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BlitzBlast posted:

while the Granteed sucks

Fight me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's bad. It has movement, range, post movement attack, energy, accuracy, and SP issues, so you basically have to baby Touya to get as much use out of it as a Grungust.

Dracodeus is nuts, though!

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's bad. It has movement, range, post movement attack, energy, accuracy, and SP issues, so you basically have to baby Touya to get as much use out of it as a Grungust.

Dracodeus is nuts, though!

Like I've told you before, I think you're exaggerating a bit. The biggest issue IMO is the crippling 0 and -5 accuracy most of his attacks have.

ShiunTouya fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 14, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
5 move and 1 P range until Will 120 isn't exaggerated.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Caphi posted:

5 move and 1 P range until Will 120 isn't exaggerated.

It's only 5 if you're a terrible person who doesn't use Tenia or Melua with him. :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
6 move and a hard 1 range post movement is still pretty bad. Burning Accel to have the same effective attack range as (or less than) most attackers have on normal power is still pretty bad. And who were you going to pair that 1 range with?

And it's not like he's a King Gainer who gets insane once he reaches his Will requirement. Orgonite Buster isn't exactly efficient as a bread and butter attack, and that's assuming Touya gets to that point with any expedience given his issues reaching or hitting enemies without leaking SP. This is why Granteed and any twin including it has consistently fallen behind on every front every time I've had to use it.

And yes, I gave him the headband. And a booster.

At least I think I'm about to get the Dracodeus.

• Locked thread