Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

help I'm playing a survival type game where the literal basic premise is gathering supplies to survive but I'm too loving retaarded to understand the basic core mechanic of the game

just having a count down bar that you have to feed uranium you mine from flowers by shooting at the flowers with a gun is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

bump_fn posted:

help I'm playing a survival type game where the literal basic premise is gathering supplies to survive but I'm too loving retaarded to understand the basic core mechanic of the game

He understands it, he just thinks it's stupid. R>C>P.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wonder if some of the gender things are supposed to be cheeky since they don't seem to do anything else and besides feeding them so you see a little smily face you don't really do anything with the animals like breed them or whatever. If the game somehow made Vectorized Gender or Prime Gender meaningful it'd be cool. But I think their just poking fun at the LGBTQUIA community. :sigh:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
fair enougfh im not defending survival game mechanics but idk what people expected

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

bump_fn posted:

fair enougfh im not defending survival game mechanics but idk what people expected

Well not that every one of these games has to come back to minecraft and even if you think minecraft is stupid it's still one of the only games that comes close to getting all those mechanics right. Feeding yourself which is essentially what life support charge is, in minecraft is a lot more dynamic and depending how heavily modded you play it, can eventually be trivialized and automated appropriately. Heck almost everything in this game was done better by minecraft. Planets are just biomes but from what I can tell it's not like Minecraft where you get the thrill of discovering that a particular biome has a really sweet thing in it since you're guaranteed several million square miles of evenly distributed resources and Events or whatever, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to get to the next biome. Unless I haven't gotten to some part with epic insane monsters you have to fight who do more than run at you in a straight line or robots that arent brain dead drones, even the combat is better, for all the customization you can do to your guns and crap.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wormskull posted:

Well not that every one of these games has to come back to minecraft and even if you think minecraft is stupid it's still one of the only games that comes close to getting all those mechanics right. Feeding yourself which is essentially what life support charge is, in minecraft is a lot more dynamic and depending how heavily modded you play it, can eventually be trivialized and automated appropriately. Heck almost everything in this game was done better by minecraft. Planets are just biomes but from what I can tell it's not like Minecraft where you get the thrill of discovering that a particular biome has a really sweet thing in it since you're guaranteed several million square miles of evenly distributed resources and Events or whatever, and it doesn't take 10 minutes to get to the next biome. Unless I haven't gotten to some part with epic insane monsters you have to fight who do more than run at you in a straight line or robots that arent brain dead drones, even the combat is better, for all the customization you can do to your guns and crap.

didnt read

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Surviving in this for me for 5 hours has been trivial and boring at best and just annoying at worst. Like what happens when you get out of your ship and its 500 degrees celsius on the planet. You just leave and even if you upgrade your Life Support a billion times you'll probably be in another galaxy and by odds alone you'll be next to a planet with all the same poo poo function-wise anyway.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

i dont really care about minecraft but the more i hear about this game the better i think of minecraft

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wormskull posted:

Surviving in this for me for 5 hours has been trivial and boring at best and just annoying at worst. Like what happens when you get out of your ship and its 500 degrees celsius on the planet. You just leave and even if you upgrade your Life Support a billion times you'll probably be in another galaxy and by odds alone you'll be next to a planet with all the same poo poo function-wise anyway.

leave your door open

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The biggest thing that blows my mind is that you can probably 100% a planet without exploring more than a few hundred miles around where you landed on it except for like waypoints which would just be a matter of flying to whatever one you're missing I guess. It's a shame really.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wormskull posted:

The biggest thing that blows my mind is that you can probably 100% a planet without exploring more than a few hundred miles around where you landed on it except for like waypoints which would just be a matter of flying to whatever one you're missing I guess. It's a shame really.

its realistic u can 100% the earth if you stay within the few mile radius of manhattan

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'll spend tonight 100%ing a planet, and get back to you on it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I really dislike the hunger mechanic in Minecraft, but as clumsy and shallow as it is in vanilla, at least it works toward a goal of pressuring the player to take early game risks. There's a bunch of collection stuff in No Man's Sky because ?????? Maybe because other survival games do it.

Like it doesn't make much sense for No Man's Sky to be a survival game. You could just make it a Pokemon Snap-style scavenger hunt and ask players to find a certain set of landmarks/x number of creatures/etc. and it would make way more sense as a way to get players to explore as many planets as possible.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

[David Lynch voice] It's... such a sadness, that you can see cool things in the game because you know intellectually that nothing is truly rare. :sigh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

planets have a ton of waypoints on them , not just the 5 you have to get to "100%" it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i dont really care about minecraft but the more i hear about this game the better i think of minecraft

Minecraft is epic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

at the end of Arthur C Clarke's "The City and the Stars" the protagonist takes off into space to see if there's anything there, and he spends like two chapters frantically searching all the planets near the center of the universe for any signs of life, only to find them full of weird random patterns and without any seeming purpose, and eventually he gives up in defeat and that's basically the end of the book. What I'm saying is that No Mans Sky is an avant-garde piece aobut the meaningless search for fulfilment in a random godless universe and is basically an adaptation of The City and the stars. that's cool. peace

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
*werner herzog v.o*

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wormskull posted:

[David Lynch voice] It's... such a sadness, that you can see cool things in the game because you know intellectually that nothing is truly rare. :sigh:

TYVM for posting about why the game isnt good btw. ki was literally thinking of buying it lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
do you think this or Overwatch is the Skinner Box of the year? i think you could make a good case for both

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Skinner box? I barely even know her!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

do you think this or Overwatch is the Skinner Box of the year? i think you could make a good case for both

I don't know what that means but as far as being games their not even close to the same thing.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is it supposed to be like, you play the game because the point of the game is to make you play more. Overwatch the only things like that is the leveling up. So I don't know. Sorry...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

at the end of Arthur C Clarke's "The City and the Stars" the protagonist takes off into space to see if there's anything there, and he spends like two chapters frantically searching all the planets near the center of the universe for any signs of life, only to find them full of weird random patterns and without any seeming purpose, and eventually he gives up in defeat and that's basically the end of the book. What I'm saying is that No Mans Sky is an avant-garde piece aobut the meaningless search for fulfilment in a random godless universe and is basically an adaptation of The City and the stars. that's cool. peace

Well, that is somewhat cool but it doesn't make for a very fun game my man.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Well, that is somewhat cool but it doesn't make for a very fun game my man.
well yeah.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You can explore vague analogies to classic sci-fi works in No Man's Sky

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

Its the skinner box in the sense it skins you alive when you use it like that in Hellraiser

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This is my new podcast/music game. A 4 hour Springsteen live album was released today so I have quite a night ahead of me!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thank G*d, I mean, I am blessed, JUST BLESSED that I was not able to post on these forums for 30 days because it just built my hype up for this game more and more until I nearly squeed with joy all over my Gamestop (thank you Kevin DerCole, the DFM of the 8 gamestops in my area for hosting a midnight NMS event at my local GS, I sent you a personal thank you card in the mail you should be getting soon.) during our midnight release party. The first 10 hours that night I was overcome with... whats the word... well lets just say no human word for the emotion I felt exists yet. I sat there on the couch, exploring planet after planet, getting to name all the plants and animals, it gave me the same experfience that naming my 6 House Cats (Catte, POS, Stebe, Timb, Computer, and finally the runt of the little Anroid) did. I cannot begin to express the amount of gratitude I have for Hello Games, and Sean Murry. Thank you Sir, you have not just my 5s, you have my golden manbabies as well. Keep reaching for the stars folks, there are 17,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 out there to see and explore.

-BBG Out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

Thank G*d, I mean, I am blessed, JUST BLESSED that I was not able to post on these forums for 30 days because it just built my hype up for this game more and more until I nearly squeed with joy all over my Gamestop (thank you Kevin DerCole, the DFM of the 8 gamestops in my area for hosting a midnight NMS event at my local GS, I sent you a personal thank you card in the mail you should be getting soon.) during our midnight release party. The first 10 hours that night I was overcome with... whats the word... well lets just say no human word for the emotion I felt exists yet. I sat there on the couch, exploring planet after planet, getting to name all the plants and animals, it gave me the same experfience that naming my 6 House Cats (Catte, POS, Stebe, Timb, Computer, and finally the runt of the little Anroid) did. I cannot begin to express the amount of gratitude I have for Hello Games, and Sean Murry. Thank you Sir, you have not just my 5s, you have my golden manbabies as well. Keep reaching for the stars folks, there are 17,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 out there to see and explore.

-BBG Out

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so i should wait until this is 20 dollars to play it. got it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

Welcome back

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao I just finally registered the name Kevin DerCole in my mind.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out

You're welcome. Looking forward to the card, bud. (I'm Kevin DerCole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Black Baby Goku posted:

-BBG Out
welcome back baby

• Locked thread