Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Or the fact that there were no Mario characters in the show (that I can remember anyway), which I always found a bit strange.

probably had something to do with there being a mario cartoon airing?

i think the megaman cartoon was a little later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

probably had something to do with there being a mario cartoon airing?

i think the megaman cartoon was a little later.

There was a Zelda cartoon airing too but they still got an episode devoted to them.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Link in that cartoon invented the bomb jump years before samus did it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

There was a Zelda cartoon airing too but they still got an episode devoted to them.

As I understand it, a Mario crossover was in the cards, then NBC happened to both shows and they died a horrible death.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

It's weird how Mother Brain was like the main villain but Samus was only in the comic books.
If I recall correctly there was an interview where the writer mentioned not knowing who she was.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Monk E posted:

If I recall correctly there was an interview where the writer mentioned not knowing who she was.

And as a result, we got Audrey II as a giant talking brain. :allears:

That show was such a wonderful acid trip. It was mega-goodicus.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mother Brain's appearance and King Hippo's nipples made me not to want to watch the show as a kid.:cry:

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
So, to bring things back to mega man, are there ways to buy and play command mission on modern systems? I looked at psn and nintendo and it didn't look like there were any forward ports on it, but I liked that game when I first played it 8 years ago.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played Rockman 4:BCAS. It's extremely fun and cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Monk E posted:

That show was the ultimate example of people making cartoons in the 80s not giving even a quarter of a poo poo. They didn't look anything up, regularly made entire episodes revolve around in-jokes, and had endless contempt for the audience. The entire reason Simon Belmont in that show as a weird goggle-wearing prima donna coward was because they knew a guy named Simon that they didn't like.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait, seriously? That's amazing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lurdiak posted:

That show was the ultimate example of people making cartoons in the 80s not giving even a quarter of a poo poo. They didn't look anything up, regularly made entire episodes revolve around in-jokes, and had endless contempt for the audience. The entire reason Simon Belmont in that show as a weird goggle-wearing prima donna coward was because they knew a guy named Simon that they didn't like.

What was the reason for Megaman being an overweight dwarf in green tights?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TaurusOxford posted:

Like I said, they didn't look up what any of those characters looked like before drawing them. They were clearly just working off vague descriptions for every Mega Man character, as evidenced in the episode where Dr. Wily and his robot masters show up.

"a robot with scissors on his head"

"a robot with a buzzsaw blade on his forehead who shoots buzzsaw blades"

"a robot made of wood who has a shield weapon"

So I'd assume Mega Man was described to whoever drew him in similarly vague terms and everyone agreed that that obese midget was good enough.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine Simon has something to do with Simon from the band Prozzäk

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TaurusOxford posted:

I assumed that was just an interpretation of his in game sprite.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Schwarzwald posted:

If they had ever seen anything resembling his in game sprite there's no indication of it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok but explain the football-throwing alien and the bizarre renderings of Light and Wily

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sorbocules posted:

So, to bring things back to mega man, are there ways to buy and play command mission on modern systems? I looked at psn and nintendo and it didn't look like there were any forward ports on it, but I liked that game when I first played it 8 years ago.

Nope, although if you aren't against it you can homebrew a WiiU to play the GameCube version. I think it's called Nintendon't.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

One website suggested it was an interpretation of Bad Boxart Megaman.

I remember as a kid one of my TV's old vacuum tubes damaging its ability to show the color blue, so when I played MM 1-3 Mega Man was some shade of green. I then watched Captain N, saw green Mega Man and said "Sure, that looks legit." I didn't know he was supposed to be blue for a very long time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Captain N Metalaman looks better than regular Metalman. He just makes more sense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eopia posted:

If they had ever seen anything resembling his in game sprite there's no indication of it.

It does resemble his in game sprite, just with the color off.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It also gave us Quint, and we should respect that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Captain N Metalaman looks better than regular Metalman. He just makes more sense.

Their woodman is legit cool too.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Eopia posted:

I remember reading an article about this. The designer had to play the game quickly and his TV had hosed up colors, so Megaman was green. He had no other frame of reference so they just went with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looks like X2 and X3 are finally on the 3DS eshop, in Europe at least, with the usual SNES release buy one get the other 50% off for a bit.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
http://nerdist.com/the-new-mega-man-animated-series-will-have-a-more-optimistic-blue-bomber/

This is going to suck. This is going to suck just like MN9 did. If it doesn't, hey it'll be a nice surprise. The franchise has run out of oil indefinitely it seems, anything the Blue Bomber touches nowadays just turns to poo poo. The lovely Touch™, if you will.

They fact they had some intern recreate him in Illustrator instead of like...oh I don't know, maybe hiring someone like Andrew Dickman who's made mockups of a MegaMan Animated Series in his spare time and works in the animation industry instead of guys who are like "Oh jeez, I don't know what people want out of the show. MegaMan is...a nice kid! A real...good, guy! We definitely kept that intact! And hey, remember Fan Man and Shock Man? Be sure to keep an eye out for those classic characters!" I'm imagining this Woody Allen esque dude wiping sweat form his forehead answering these questions with like 0 confidence in his work because he's fully aware he has no clue what he's doing.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

http://nerdist.com/the-new-mega-man-animated-series-will-have-a-more-optimistic-blue-bomber/

This is going to suck. This is going to suck just like MN9 did. If it doesn't, hey it'll be a nice surprise. The franchise has run out of oil indefinitely it seems, anything the Blue Bomber touches nowadays just turns to poo poo. The lovely Touch™, if you will.

I honestly don't see what there is in that interview to be unhappy about?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't see what there is in that interview to be unhappy about?

"I literally look through 30 to 50 fins on the head, and then you redo those 30 to 50 with 20 more and it’s, like, a lot of fine-tuning. For people that are like, “Why are they doing this?” Well, we spent a lot of time…"

I'm sorry, am I looking at the right artwork for his redesign?

It's going to be bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't believe the mega man cartoon might not be good, this definitely means nothing good can come out of mega man ever again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

"I literally look through 30 to 50 fins on the head, and then you redo those 30 to 50 with 20 more and it’s, like, a lot of fine-tuning. For people that are like, “Why are they doing this?” Well, we spent a lot of time…"

So your argument is the same "We saw one picture, ergo this is terrible" thing as before?

There's nothing in that interview which is anything more than meaningless fluff. It's impossible to judge anything about it unless you're someone upset that Mega Man isn't going to be dark and cynical.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 19, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, that interview told us drat near nothing. No reason to really go either way on how this show will be, though I hope to god it looks nothing like that art.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fan Man and Shock Man.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As long as they don't forget Jake and the Fat Man

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

Yeah, that interview told us drat near nothing. No reason to really go either way on how this show will be, though I hope to god it looks nothing like that art.

Yeah. That.

Dabir posted:

Fan Man and Shock Man.

Yeah. That.

The last good thing the franchise, or anything related to it, did was 6 years ago. I'm fine with waiting even longer quite frankly, but almost every attempt in between that time has comedically fallen flat on it's face in some form or another. (Rockman XOver, Mighty Number 9, Red Ash's bizarre and unecassary kickstarter) That, or it's been super confusing and/or sad. (Legends 3 cancellation, Universe and Online's cancellations) The only thing that was decent was Gunvolt as a spiritual successor to Zero/ZX.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Here we go. $thing gets rebooted/remade. Not allowed to say anything bad about it because it's not out yet. The only reason you don't like it is because it's different and any disappointment is on the level of complaining it's ruining your childhood.

LemonLimeTime posted:

The last good thing the franchise, or anything related to it, did was 6 years ago. I'm fine with waiting even longer quite frankly, but almost every attempt in between that time has comedically fallen flat on it's face in some form or another. (Rockman XOver, Mighty Number 9, Red Ash's bizarre and unecassary kickstarter) That, or it's been super confusing and/or sad. (Legends 3 cancellation, Universe and Online's cancellations) The only thing that was decent was Gunvolt as a spiritual successor to Zero/ZX.
At least he was done well in Super Smash Bros :unsmith:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Here we go. $thing gets rebooted/remade. Not allowed to say anything bad about it because it's not out yet. The only reason you don't like it is because it's different and any disappointment is on the level of complaining it's ruining your childhood.
At least he was done well in Super Smash Bros :unsmith:

Oh right, yeah, thats true about Smash.

Honestly? I want something bold and different and daring and fresh and new for the MegaMan franchise. But I also want it to not be garbage. I want something akin to when Legends first came out or Battle Network. BN feels like the last good new creative thing they did with the franchise. After that anything good was just.....collections, remakes, or throwbacks.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I like how you're going from "I'm not allowed to say ANYTHING bad about ANYTHING" from people declaring the entire thing will suck off absolutely nothing.

Yes, complaining about a thing you like being rebooted or remade before you've seen anything of it is in fact dumb and is usually complaining because it's different.

It is entirely possible the new Mega Man will not be good but it is worth waiting until you have something to actually go off of before you declare it Ruined Forever. Without that it's hard to buy the complaints are anything but "my childhood/it's different" because... there's nothing to actually talk about besides the design which is a single out of context picture.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 19, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are dumb reboots out there but i honestly have no idea why i should care about the mega man cartoon unless every mega man video game is going to suddenly be based on it for some insane reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

there are dumb reboots out there but i honestly have no idea why i should care about the mega man cartoon unless every mega man video game is going to suddenly be based on it for some insane reason

The next Mega Man game is pretty likely to based on it, to be fair. It's also completely irrelevant to if it will be GOOD, which depends a lot more on what development team they get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dabir posted:

Fan Man and Shock Man.