Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Crocobile posted:

Do you mean Mantzoukas? TBH I felt like a lot of the "dumb June" bits were Mantzoukas making a huge deal out of every admittedly ineloquent (though not that crazy once I got what she was saying) or benign/inane observation June made.

Yeah, June is only part of the problem. She needs cohosts that know how to draw out her ideas and when to just get the show back on track. I think one of the moments that spawned the dumb June gimmick was toward the end of Street Fighter when she asks "What exactly is a Street Fighter?". Jason howls with laughter and repeats the question while their guest tries to explain it with other movies and video games. But she's the only one not taking the title for granted. She's confused because that title for that movie make no drat sense. She had an insight into what a broken adaptation it was but they treat it like a joke.

So We Hate Movies, there's a podcast that doesn't piss me off. I thought Dracula 2000 was a great choice for a rerun, particularly because of their annoyance at the movie going meta by including the book as fiction in their world. It pairs nicely with This Ain't Yo Momma's Dracula, Dracula Untold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait, Paul Scheer's a comedian?

Well, he was part of Human Giant which is one of the funniest sketch comedy shows ever.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

The Twinkie Czar posted:

So We Hate Movies, there's a podcast that doesn't piss me off. I thought Dracula 2000 was a great choice for a rerun, particularly because of their annoyance at the movie going meta by including the book as fiction in their world. It pairs nicely with This Ain't Yo Momma's Dracula, Dracula Untold.

I wish there was more discussion of what the alternate history of Andrew assassinating Fred Durst in a Virgin Megastore would look like

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
One thing I appreciate with WHM is the fact that they use an instrumental jingle as a theme tune, instead of an embarrassing, self-referential song that so many podcasts, even good ones, insist on having. What's the obsession with those?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I could have sworn Dracula 3000 (which I thought was the sequel to Dracula 2000) took place in space.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

I could have sworn Dracula 3000 (which I thought was the sequel to Dracula 2000) took place in space.

It definitely does. Also, Coolio is there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I've only ever seen one "the book Dracula exists in the same world as Dracula himself" done well, and oddly enough that was from a recent tabletop RPG about "Jason Bourne/Burn Notice v worldwide vampire conspiracy".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

It definitely does. Also, Coolio is there.

And it had an amazing ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_PuM3nxgiw

e. per the IMDB Tribune's quotes page

:eyepop:

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 14, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rick posted:

Well, he was part of Human Giant which is one of the funniest sketch comedy shows ever.

Rob Huebel must be hilarious then.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

Rob Huebel must be hilarious then.

He is!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I forgot about that Elliott Smith joke until just now. Holy poo poo.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I've pretty much unsubscribed to every bad movie podcast but WHM at this point—and they're one of my favorites in general. I still check out The Flophouse occasionally, and while I like their personalities, at this point it seems like talking about the movie itself is a weary obligation they speed through so listeners can prompt them to do the same bits for the following 40 minutes. (And Dan generally seems too "sleepy" to watch movies or wrangle Elliott anymore.) And I kinda stopped listening to HDTGM around the June-ification of the show, though it's not her fault at all. It honestly felt a little patronizing every time some off-the-cuff remark or genuine attempt to be funny was met by "WHAT!? WHAT!?" followed by minutes of analysis. The "What is a Street Fighter" thing was definitely a funny moment, but man have they been sweatily trying to recreate it ever since.

Also, I'm someone who podcasts for a non-living, it kinda irks me when the more famous ones can get away with some pretty low-quality tech. There's one out there I really love and don't want to shame by name, but every time they play a sound or song by literally holding an iPhone up to the mic, I ask myself "Does anyone know the computer they're literally recording this through can do the same thing a million times better?"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I like both HDTGM and WHM. I guess I'm a sparkling unicorn or something.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So, I was in another thread that reminded me of Wickerman, which was released in 2006. What are the chances it's part of the Spooktackular this year? I want them to discuss the bear punch :allears:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I like both the Flophouse and WHM. Flophouse seems a lot more chill sometimes. My favorite episode of the Flophouse is the Bratz.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Shirec posted:

So, I was in another thread that reminded me of Wickerman, which was released in 2006. What are the chances it's part of the Spooktackular this year? I want them to discuss the bear punch :allears:

I feel like it's at Birdemic levels of overdone, but it's a possibility.

People need to know how boring and repetitive it is outside of the few absurd moments.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

ghost emoji posted:

I forgot about that Elliott Smith joke until just now. Holy poo poo.

That's one of my faves.

Although, after their intro apologizing for any possible jokes about Craven, I was amazed the PSH joke went by untouched.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crocobile posted:

Once June disappeared from the show (her and Scheer had a baby so she was busy) there were a BUNCH of multiple big-name guests for live shows and they were just too unorganized and obnoxious. I listened to "Can't Stop The Music" and the guests + hosts just shouted/bickered over eachother for some unfunny bit for like 45 minutes before talking about the movie. That was when I unsubscribed.

The one where the guest (Rhea Butcher?) said how useless a penis is and they all yelled on about how the penis is the rainbow bridge in Asgard and then Butcher yelled "You guys yell about penis for 45 mins meanwhile I can't get a woman president!" ?

Everyone laughed so I guess it was funny but I think I had to be there. :shrug:

HDTGM is kinda forgettable, I don't recommend it to anyone unless it's a specific episode. Where as WHM I tell people to look through all the episodes, even with movies they haven't seen.

e;
And here I thought Dracula 2000 and Queen of the Damned were the same movie!

Queen of the Damned is an Ann Rice adaptation right?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 15, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Holy poo poo, the intro for the Jupiter Ascending new/live episode.

I am a Real American....

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At this point, I really don't want the ads to go. How else would we get stories about Stephen Sajdak and Eric Szyszka sleeping in Andrew Jupin's bed when he is out of town?

edit: HATE

e X fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I listen to podcasts to be entertained, and to check on the progress of the audio recording software. Is chemistry and good diction important? Of course, but we listen to three to five strangers talk for hours at time about bits of long dead pop culture to have fun. Instead of reading things like "I gorged myself on crisps while listening to this comedic laugh riot at work", I read things like the "oh the movie is overplayed" or "It was better with Chris Cabin on the show" etc, etc. #weWantWorf

If it wouldn't of been better then why didn't they ask you to pick the movie and the trio? :smugbert:

Its time to let podcasts simply be what they are, ENTERTAINMENT. I had FUN listening to it, and you will too, or keep your Harry's razor blade money and shut up!

Just saying!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jose Oquendo posted:

If that happens, we need a Goon Drive to raise money so we can get an absolutely ridiculously terrible movie picked.

"MOM!! THAT WEIRD FIGURINE IS EVIDENSH OF A DOOM HOUSSSHE!"
"I don't care, sweetie!"

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I don't know anything about Jupiter Ascending since I haven't watched it but Sean Bean can't possibly be meant to be a human-bee hybrid, right? That's a joke, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Chris Cabin intro this episode may be one of my top 10 WHM moments ever.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

davidHalestorm posted:

I don't know anything about Jupiter Ascending since I haven't watched it but Sean Bean can't possibly be meant to be a human-bee hybrid, right? That's a joke, right?

He's a humanoid alien with a great affinity for bees, at least. But yes, there are animal-people in JA because sure, why not?

Best part is near the end where Channing Tatum, playing Sexy Wolfman, grows beautiful angel wings and therefore transforms into every sad teenager's DeviantArt avatar.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is this the shortest episode yet? Kinda disappointed it's so short, since the movie seems to have a ton of things to make fun of.
Despite being short man are they constantly on fire throughout the entire thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I love that after like a year of hearing about how amazing the bureaucracy scene was from the internet they rightfully tear it apart and discard it in like five seconds because seriously, pointing out that bureaucracy is inefficient is like sub-Dilert levels of subversiveness and humor.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Calaveron posted:

Is this the shortest episode yet? Kinda disappointed it's so short, since the movie seems to have a ton of things to make fun of.
Despite being short man are they constantly on fire throughout the entire thing.

The live episodes are always drastically shorter unfortunately.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

duz posted:

The live episodes are always drastically shorter unfortunately.

Yup. When you've got a place booked for an hour, you've got one hour.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wait, how long is Jupiter Ascending? And It's about nothing? And it's got dog, elephant and bee people hybrids?

Seriously not a recommended watch even while high?

:psyduck:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Wait, how long is Jupiter Ascending? And It's about nothing? And it's got dog, elephant and bee people hybrids?

Seriously not a recommended watch even while high?

:psyduck:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it. As far as I'm concerned, that's a sign it's several hours of gently caress all, yes. I do recall Redmayne just going at it though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Redmayne goes hard as gently caress in it.

I liked JA a lot. It does feel like 3 movies crammed together, but that's a novel feeling I can appreciate.

Probably wouldn't rewatch it often, but it's definitely packed with interesting choices.

Also, knowing now what we all know about Channing Tatum, it really moves his character to a comedic space.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This prolly wasn't the intention of the WHM crew, but I really want to see this Jupiter Transcending movie. It sounds like Fifth Element-esque entertainment and I'll be watching it soon.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jupin Transcending

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jupiter Ascending is fun as gently caress and I'm genuinely shocked the WHM guys hated it so much. Like, it's not a good movie by any means, but it's massively entertaining.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

well why not posted:

Also, knowing now what we all know about Channing Tatum, it really moves his character to a comedic space.

Could you expand on this?

Kinda disappointed this episode was only an hour too, but thems the breaks. Better than no episode at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

Could you expand on this?

Kinda disappointed this episode was only an hour too, but thems the breaks. Better than no episode at all.

Tatum is a massive goofball. Check his Reddit iama for details.

quote:

Oh man. I love Pinterest. Swear to god. Just to not think about all the poo poo I have to do or what's going wrong, I just go and look at Pinterest. Or flipboard.

quote:

I just went to Iceland and tried to do a small expedition across the glacier and we didn't make it. We had to be emergency evacuated as there was a white out blizzard which I got to take a poop in. It actually freezes before it hits the ground.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

This prolly wasn't the intention of the WHM crew, but I really want to see this Jupiter Transcending movie. It sounds like Fifth Element-esque entertainment and I'll be watching it soon.
If you go in thinking Fifth Element, you're gonna have a bad time because you'll just be remembering a good movie you could be watching instead of Jupiter Ascending.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crocobile posted:

A bit more on-topic; I wonder if the Patreon for WHM will do away with the ads (which haven't really bothered me personally, but ymmv) or if listener request will turn into a Patreon/donation thing?

To be honest, I'm not bothered by the current run of ads. It's when they have to start shilling for Uber or whatever that scuzzy-rear end fantasy sports website was that I start scrolling ahead, looking for the theme music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

teen witch posted:

I'm about halfway through the Lady in the Water and I'm excited for the episode and angry that I'm pressing on with it.

Normally I do a quick wiki read-through but I feel that I get a bit more out of podcast by watching it.

I'm naming aliens in No Man's Sky 'scrunts' and 'gleep glorps'. Pretty funny listening to the Star Trek ep while playing it since they have a similar plot.
How harsh are they on Jupiter Ascending? If they mock Speed Racer or Sense 8 too much I probably won't be able to listen.
Maybe I should send in my story about carrying giant cardboard JA standees home and spending a month with Balaam Abraxas watching my lounge room.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 18, 2016