Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Xaris posted:

I'm not familiar with Denver, especially downtown, but I could see charging for parking because people will just use that poo poo to leave and go walk around downtown instead--it's likely very costly and theyve probably found a sizable majority just park and walk away. And if you're really going to spend hundreds or more at a upscale mall, $10 isn't unreasonable in a downtown area where hey they can also go walk to a nice resteraunt after!. SF mall here doesn't even have its own parking but there are $$ parking garages near.

E: I just read it and first hour is free and second is 3$. That's more than reasonable for actual shopping so I don't see the problem? It'll probably be a big success

It's usually more suburban areas here that have free parking

It's not downtown. It's about 4-5 miles SE. No rail or direct bus service to get you downtown either. The area is densely populated in spots, but not densely enough to justify it.

The neighborhoods right around it will suck it up, but a lot of people won't be making special trips there anymore. When you have a million square feet of retail space, you need those people who make the occasional special trip to the fancy mall in the city. Those people will now say "gently caress it, I'll just go to one of the other 3 decent indoor malls still left in this city (Park Meadows/Flatirons/Mills)."

At least they aren't going to charge mall workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PallasAthene posted:

Maybe Staples survives by corporate accounts.

One of my friends is a assistant manager for a retail store and she was complaining about how their shop vac gave out and they had to wait for one to get shipped from Staples. I asked why they didn't just go to the Lowe's across the street and buy one and she said their company has some kind of contract to get all their general supplies from Staples, so when they needed a new Shop Vac, they ordered one for like $125 and had to wait for like a month to get it. Lowe's had the same one for like $75, but the way their accounting is done, they have a specific Staples budget for ordering stuff, and if she were to use the general budget to go buy one for half the price, her store would actually be penalized more for doing that.

Every time I go into one of those office supply stores, they have a millions signs for auto-replenishing printer ink and paper deals, so maybe they just get a bunch of businesses onto those programs and that keeps them open.

I'm pages behind but theres huge margins in corporate ink and toner. it made me six figures my first year out of college in sales.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

natetimm posted:

Parking is at an overpriced premium in downtown San Diego, but the central mall, Horton Plaza, still will let you park there for something like 4 hours for free if you just run their ticket through the validation machine in the center of the mall.

I would go to sea port village and get an ice cream at Ben and Jerry, they'd validate, then I'd go about my business and leave with out paying for parking

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cliff Racer posted:

Harrisburg's malls are all doing fine except for the inner city one, which honestly was never actually successful in the first place and the one that got hit by white flight (though it also was never doing great and shuffled through a whole bunch of anchor tenants over the years.) However there's been a real resurgence in the white flight mall, S&C (Books A Million but for hipsters, anime fans and people who want retro video games) moved in and other nerd type places seem to be doing well. Hair/nail salons, dollar general competitors and empty store fronts are still all present but the place is looking better than it has in a decade.

I was at that mall in May to go to the Second & Charles, knowing nothing about Harrisburg or its malls, and the place seemed like it was dying horribly. The worst food court.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, it was much worse than that two years ago! Funny that the S&C (which occupies a mid-sized space) is so much better at drawing in customers for the mall than the Outdoor World is. Don't get me wrong, OW gets people in its doors, but practically none of them venture out into the rest of the mall and the malls typical patrons don't seem to take a visit to it either.

I'm eagerly waiting to find out if the mall's Macy's survives. I am hoping it does and, as its the only Macy's in this area, don't think it has too much to worry about. I was in there buying socks a few months ago and it wasn't a ghost town so ehh, it might make it. Rent has to be dirt cheap in that place too.

edit: Realistically speaking a food court only really needs one place you are okay eating at and with a Taco Bell, McDonalds and chinese place it should do for most people's needs. Never mind the fact that there's like six or seven empty locations.

edit: The only thing I regret is that it had a massive play area with like Sesame Street ball tosses and stuff in the basement when I was a kid and thats now all mall offices/abandoned. There's a smaller arcade tucked into a corner of the second floor with some good machines (Rival Schools!) but I feel like half the stuff is shut down whenever I venture into it.

Cliff Racer has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Aug 12, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Waroduce posted:

I'm pages behind but theres huge margins in corporate ink and toner. it made me six figures my first year out of college in sales.

i live in trash central and there are boxes upon boxes toner cartridges in varying states of disrepair that people try to hock off. like if there is one thing people steal from their place of employment its boxes of loving toner cartridges. i guess because they cost like $80 each new and if you think that they cost $80 because the demand can't keep up with supply they seem like a good thing to steal but lol

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I remember my parents taking me with them when they would "mall walk" around the Westfield Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Washington. I think it was that one, anyway. It was a large oval so you could just keep walking forever and ever and ever while asking if you could go into EB Games.

The mall near me now is in a town of like 90k and seems to be doing okay. It's just two stories with the top story devoted to offices and the bottom for stores. It has a Sears though so we'll see if that drags it and the city down with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ruby Tuesday's is closing like 15% of their locations, which doesn't seem like nearly enough

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If a Walmart gets plenty of traffic but doesn't hire enough people and goes through a lot of turnover and doesn't invest in repairs or in ensuring people are properly trained is it a sign that they're circling the drain or a sign that they're doing well enough that they just don't care?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RandomPauI posted:

If a Walmart gets plenty of traffic but doesn't hire enough people and goes through a lot of turnover and doesn't invest in repairs or in ensuring people are properly trained is it a sign that they're circling the drain or a sign that they're doing well enough that they just don't care?

They're probably like Comcast in that situation.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

RandomPauI posted:

I've personally thought that it's a temporary stopgap. That they aren't necessarily circling the drain yet but the steps they've taken to pursue infinite profit have had a devastating cumulative effect.

I did some years there and the stores in our area (and I figure company wide from my experience on two sides of the country, and knowing people in other regions.)

To cut costs (and drive profits for stocks like we were discussing earlier) they've radically changed the back room process over the past decade.

Each Department (Grocery / Dry Grocery / Dairy / Tools / Softlines / Produce / HBA / Cosmetics / Toys / Sporting Goods / Etc) were all manned by a Department Manager in the past. Inventory / Stocking was their responsibility as well as customer service. This progressed to one associate being over the entirety of the grocery section. In my store it was a frazzled grandma in her 50s that our career retail store manager would literally scream at. Other huge chunks of the store were like Tools / Toys / Sporting Goods / Home all under one employee. Clothes all under one employee.

It got to the point where my job was 1000x harder because I did inventory audits, so when a Department Manager did their daily inventory count of an item, I was supposed to verify the accuracy in the back room. Cue the 4-5 Department Managers over 20+ departments never actually doing the counts, so my accuracy reports were never generated, so I was screamed at.

The Departments are parallel to the register example and how everyone jokes there are 20+ checkouts and 1-2 are open. They originally did that because they used to staff them and poo poo sucks now because they aren't. They've completely slashed operational workforce by probably 75% and are aiming for even more automation. Clothes / Electronics and now Food come with wireless RFID tags as they expand automated inventory, and they are consistently pushing automated checkouts. They've pushed inventory responsibilites off on the people stocking the shelves as well.

This all leads to the store looking like complete poo poo and nobody being able to get any assistance, ever since if you do find the unicorn employee they probably don't even work in the department they are in charge of and 1 person can't stock 4-5 peoples worth of incoming freight during the day.

so TL:DR answer for your question is : They aren't circling the drain yet, but when the preemptive devastation of their own company stops being effective then they will be circling the drain. However, I would expect them to be the last retailer standing so probably a really long time yet while the other niche retailers ("Electronics" "Office Supply") implode.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I for one really appreciated being told "we'll get in the DVD you need to watch before you can use the electric cartpusher" every two weeks for the past three months. Maybe they'll do something now that I've had to file a workman's comp claim and see their doctor who recommended physical therapy. Who am I kidding? When I started the assistant manager said just do 10 carts at a time, then other managers praised me for doing more than 20 at a time, then when I filed the form the assistant manager said I only supposed to do 15 carts at a time.

I'm more than a little worried that my pee has taken on a slight pink hue

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

RandomPauI posted:

I for one really appreciated being told "we'll get in the DVD you need to watch before you can use the electric cartpusher" every two weeks for the past three months. Maybe they'll do something now that I've had to file a workman's comp claim and see their doctor who recommended physical therapy. Who am I kidding? When I started the assistant manager said just do 10 carts at a time, then other managers praised me for doing more than 20 at a time, then when I filed the form the assistant manager said I only supposed to do 15 carts at a time.

I'm more than a little worried that my pee has taken on a slight pink hue

Wait you are doing more than 20 carts without a cart pusher? Jesus christ that must be some serious strain.

I thought I was going out of my way getting 8-12 manually whenever my stores completely ran out of carts and someone would come to the back screaming at inventory to go clear the parking lot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Wait you are doing more than 20 carts without a cart pusher? Jesus christ that must be some serious strain.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that all of the people who knew how to work the cartpusher "left" at the same time.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
typically in retail you don't want to substitute the cogs of the machine with your own body parts and you definitely don't learn how to run machinery.

Oh and never, never learn how to bail the carboard

99% of people are too scared to do that poo poo, so if you become the bale guy or the forklift guy or the starwars guy or the walkie stacker guy you will be the machine bitch of the entire store. The bailer especially though since it takes work and is "Scary"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what is the best office supply to steal from work to resell? (since it's not toner)

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if you become the bale guy or the forklift guy or the starwars guy or the walkie stacker guy you will be the machine bitch of the entire store

Do you mean the subject matter expert who knows the answers to all the Star Wars toy collectors' questions, or is that a Wal-Mart term for something else?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

PallasAthene posted:

Do you mean the subject matter expert who knows the answers to all the Star Wars toy collectors' questions, or is that a Wal-Mart term for something else?

Don't give a gently caress what they are actually called
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fh1mtPjF_M

Most people refuse to learn how to use them because they are more complicated than regular forklifts since you spin a handle that has all the various controls on it in addition to the backwards steering. So since nobody wants to learn them the 1 guy in the store that is certified will be everyone's machine bitch. Especially since their turn radius lets you use them in incredibly tight spaces and even people that are certified on them are too afraid to use them in the narrower aisles where pallets aren't supposed to be in topstock but always are

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Why would you not want to drive a fork all day, that poo poo is a highly cushy job?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ruby Tuesday's is closing like 15% of their locations, which doesn't seem like nearly enough

I used to frequent them for lunch when on the road for a previous job. It was always quiet and seemed pretty decent for the price.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Most people refuse to learn how to use them because they are more complicated than regular forklifts since you spin a handle that has all the various controls on it in addition to the backwards steering. So since nobody wants to learn them the 1 guy in the store that is certified will be everyone's machine bitch. Especially since their turn radius lets you use them in incredibly tight spaces and even people that are certified on them are too afraid to use them in the narrower aisles where pallets aren't supposed to be in topstock but always are

Dude those are fun to drive and having all the controls accessible on the throttle makes them easier to use than a forklift.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

they are consistently pushing automated checkouts.

When I was at Walmart last weekend a man in a yellow vest cheerfully said to me "May I suggest the automated checkout! :keke:" and I looked over his shoulder and saw a chubby teenage girl cashier at a free checkout staring back at me.

I hate automated checkouts. My niece loves going to MacDonalds now that they have the screens, I told her she wasn't allowed to use them when we go because I'm a grumpy bastard :mad:

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Just to add on to the Staples conversation, they are the 'official/sole' provider of supplies to lots of organizations. I work for a state government and we have to do all of our ordering through Staples. My girlfriend and my mother both work at hospitals and both of them have to order exclusively through Staples.

It's why Staples closed most of their brick and mortar retail stores awhile back I'm pretty sure ; most of their profit comes from these supply deals from what I can tell.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

When I was at Walmart last weekend a man in a yellow vest cheerfully said to me "May I suggest the automated checkout! :keke:" and I looked over his shoulder and saw a chubby teenage girl cashier at a free checkout staring back at me.

I hate automated checkouts. My niece loves going to MacDonalds now that they have the screens, I told her she wasn't allowed to use them when we go because I'm a grumpy bastard :mad:

I dont see what i would do a cashiers job without getting paid so I usually avoid self checkout.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think when a company starts making their company shittier at the expense of the customers but at a bump in saved pennies it's a good sign that company has started The Spin

It's the same way on TV shows how regular cast members start quickly dying off and get replaced as actors leave the sinking ship

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I actually love those shelf checkouts as long as I only have ~10 small items. And that's only because they aren't big enough to handle more items. The line is always way faster than the regular checkout, you don't have to worry about a cashier accidentally scanning something twice, or punching in the wrong code for a produce item and charging you more, or just moving at a snail's pace.
Fresh and Easy was awesome when it was still around since they had gigantic self check outs that were designed to deal with a cart full of stuff.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Professor Shark posted:

I think when a company starts making their company shittier at the expense of the customers but at a bump in saved pennies it's a good sign that company has started The Spin

Isn't that just the standard steady progression retail has been marching toward since big box stores arrived?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, what"s your corporate death pool pick?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

bongwizzard posted:

Why would you not want to drive a fork all day, that poo poo is a highly cushy job?

typically because

1) The people who say that have never had to actually do it

and

2) This isn't "Driving fork" this is having your normal job to do with people who refuse to get certified using you to supplement themselves. So instead of driving around all day in a cushy job you are constantly running to all parts of the store, while still trying to accomplish your mandated tasks within time limits and your own job that is typically the job of 3-5 people all for the princely sum of $7.25 - $8.00 / hr

This isn't one of those dream jobs everyone always talks about where you drive around a forklift all day for a million dollars an hour, which I've never seen evidence of and driving forklifts is just as tiring as not even if you do get to sit down. It's doing a typical overworked and underpaid retail job with the added bonus of a special skill you aren't compensated for that nobody else wants to learn.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

typically because

1) The people who say that have never had to actually do it

and

2) This isn't "Driving fork" this is having your normal job to do with people who refuse to get certified using you to supplement themselves. So instead of driving around all day in a cushy job you are constantly running to all parts of the store, while still trying to accomplish your mandated tasks within time limits and your own job that is typically the job of 3-5 people all for the princely sum of $7.25 - $8.00 / hr

This isn't one of those dream jobs everyone always talks about where you drive around a forklift all day for a million dollars an hour, which I've never seen evidence of and driving forklifts is just as tiring as not even if you do get to sit down. It's doing a typical overworked and underpaid retail job with the added bonus of a special skill you aren't compensated for that nobody else wants to learn.

You guys aren't doing it right then. Being the only person able/willing to perform an important task is supposed to give you leverage. I definitely got out of other work back in my menial-movie-theater-employee days since I was the only person willing to climb up on the roof to change the marquee. Thursday nights were my 'gently caress you I have to change the letters' night.

What do they do when you're not at work if no one else can drive the forklift?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Krispy Kareem posted:

You guys aren't doing it right then. Being the only person able/willing to perform an important task is supposed to give you leverage. I definitely got out of other work back in my menial-movie-theater-employee days since I was the only person willing to climb up on the roof to change the marquee. Thursday nights were my 'gently caress you I have to change the letters' night.

I've seen customers turned away and shelves left empty because nobody would get anything down before. Typically though there is overlap since if 20 employees are there for the day there is usually 1-3 certified people. A lot of times I was the 1 person.

Luckily though you get no time off and get fired if you miss work so if you need the job you pretty much are always there so there is always machine coverage.

Lowe's had some high minded ideal where every employee was supposed to be certified on the machinery, but really 2 of the 4 truck unloaders were, so I bounced back and forth between operating a forklift for an entire Lowe's and trying to unload a truck, while being screamed at by one manager that the truck needed unloaded and screamed at by another that the forklift was needed to get _____ down

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

typically in retail you don't want to substitute the cogs of the machine with your own body parts and you definitely don't learn how to run machinery.

Oh and never, never learn how to bail the carboard

99% of people are too scared to do that poo poo, so if you become the bale guy or the forklift guy or the starwars guy or the walkie stacker guy you will be the machine bitch of the entire store. The bailer especially though since it takes work and is "Scary"

But if you do you can be like one of my coworkers that would sell bales/pallets

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

The employees were scheduled past the close date and were turning up to work to see the store's closed forever. This includes managers, etc. exception being the guy who hung the sign on the door. Everyone was pissed off for obvious reasons so they stoleplundered all the booze and threw a party.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WaryWarren posted:

:lol:

The city I lived in in Italy had 100,000 residents and 19 bookstores. The university towns I currently live in (combined population 70,000) have zero combined.

:ssh:
universities have these big buildings full of free books

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How is driving a fork tiring, you are just sitting there pulling levers? I had a cert for a while and being the fork op on a gig was like hitting the lottery. I have seen dudes get in screaming matches over who gets to drive the fork.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

amityville anus posted:

The employees were scheduled past the close date and were turning up to work to see the store's closed forever. This includes managers, etc. exception being the guy who hung the sign on the door. Everyone was pissed off for obvious reasons so they stoleplundered all the booze and threw a party.

I'm pretty sure all restaurant owners just write off the booze when closing a location. A friend has managed to close 3 different restaurants (both local and corporate) and her booze collection is magnificent.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like your username.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Fat Shat Sings posted:

these are called reach trucks and you can operate one if you're not an idiot and can master the strange art of driving or playing a video game. your main skill set has to be "not bump into poo poo so you dont set off the infolink alarm."

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Lol WHY DONT YOU APPLY YOURSELF AS A RATIONAL ACTOR IN THR LABOR MARKETPLACE??? *gets fired immediately*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Professor Shark posted:

I hate automated checkouts.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I dont see what i would do a cashiers job without getting paid so I usually avoid self checkout.

McPhearson posted:

I actually love those shelf checkouts as long as I only have ~10 small items.

i love self-checkouts, partly because i have a tendency to use an ungodly amount of coupons but mostly because i don't feel like talking to anyone when i'm running errands