Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

<The Spider scowls.>

"It is up to you my child to find an oblation that satiates me. I deal not in commerce like my merchant sister. I demand! I crave. I hunger for your hard-earned veneration. But I am kind, and if you are sincerely ignorant do not despair, for I will make it known what fits my purpose."

<The spider taps you once with a spindly leg upon your hand. You feel no different, yet when you look upon the monstrous snake that lies dead beyond your little gathering you get the distinct impression that it is somehow spoiled.>

I see, a refined lady such as yourself wants little to do with such a boring object as a corpse, it is the struggle of a still living creature that you crave, is it not?

Still, doing a deal with a deity, to save a guy working for another deity, and one that's not known for giving rewards doesn't sound very good.

Might be better to "try" to save him, and if we fail, hey, new sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I don't trust the spider, for what it's worth. I want honest work, not whatever this is.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

I see, a refined lady such as yourself wants little to do with such a boring object as a corpse, it is the struggle of a still living creature that you crave, is it not?

<You have been granted the ability to judge the worthiness of creatures you encounter for the sake of fulfilling your vow. Not that you have yet taken the vow. You sense that asking it to elaborate further will only provoke it.>

Voting is closed.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A shipwrecked soul

You excuse yourself from the spider, not wanting to get embroiled in another godly quest so soon after your last one, yet not wanting to offend it either.

“Stay with him until I get back.” you say to Johakim and he nods. He doesn't seem to have noticed your conversation with what you assume is the Goddess Lolth, or at least one of her servants. Either that, or he thinks talking to spider-gods is so common place as to be outright boring.

You take a brisk jog back to your horses. Thankfully they have not been eaten by Salmonsters nor torn asunder by Owlbears or even frightened off by your latest battle. They stand where you left them, grazing or sleeping, even nuzzling each other as is their wont. <They are unworthy.>
You dig through your pack, find the be-wrapped box that carries inside it the cupcake that you so dearly mean to consume. How long has it been since the last one? A week? Far too long. The thought of only six remaining at home, at the rate which you have gone through them? Unbearable.
But those worries are far away. You have a stranger to save, a cupcake to eat and the Gods Themselves are watching.

You hurry back to your recruits, most of whom are busy trying to find safe entry into the wreck. The fact that a one ton snake is covering half of it isn't helping matters, so progress is slow.
Abigail is running around making whooshing noises and swinging 'her' new sword about, doubtlessly reliving the fight. People are giving her wide-berth for now, but tempers have calmed at least.

You set yourself down next to the broken knight, set the cupcake out before you and soon drift off into another world, carried by the drone of his litany and the all encompassing splendour of your supernatural desert.

---

As you regain your vision, albeit with a now familiar sepia filter, you find yourself assaulted by a large number of nearby impressions. Too many. Some are warm, some are cold. Some tug at you strongly, others not at all. There are seven glowing orbs in your immediate vicinity.
One red, one blue, one greenish yellow. One purple and distinct, one muted yellow. One the darkest green. And another, weak and feeble. So minute you can barley make it out amongst the others.
You could inspect them. It would be easy. They are inviting.

There is a multitude of presences nearby. You cannot see them, but you can feel them.
Something is blocking you.

There is a curious absence. A place where you may not look. Cannot.
It is impossible.

There is a curious presence. It feels familiar. It tugs at you.
There is something wrong near it. It is chilly.
Going there is easiest of all.

There is something wrong further away. It is very cold.
Going there would not be to difficult.

You feel more tugs, stretching from you into the distance. Back to Braav? To Tukatt Hold? Orienting yourself here is next to impossible.
Going there would be hard.

You have many 06 crumbs remaining.

---

You feel an overwhelming horror.
It is behind you.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Go to easiest presence.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Turn around

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Focus ourselves, try to identify which presence belongs to who. Can we find the spider? Is it on the place it's impossible to look at?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Guys I think the thing behind us might be somewhat urgent

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Waci posted:

Turn around

Let's flip that dead snake the bird.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Waci posted:

Turn around

Do it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Waci posted:

Turn around

Aw crap. I think the arbalest ripped out its soul, and now the snake is mad at us.

Turn around

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The presence is our Ballista

Turn to heal the champion

We are a dwarf. We craft and fix and mend machines of war all the time. We're an accountant but a dorf is a dorf.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Be a medic!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arkanomen posted:

The presence is our Ballista

Turn to heal the champion

We are a dwarf. We craft and fix and mend machines of war all the time. We're an accountant but a dorf is a dorf.

The presence is our body, not the ballista. That's why it is easiest of all to go to.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We are the Dragonborn.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

The presence is our body, not the ballista. That's why it is easiest of all to go to.

Actually, that particular presence is not your body. Your body is elsewhere, closer and attached to you by a thin blue cord. Going there would be harder, for the looming presence is in the way.

Voting is closed.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Other Shore

You turn around, expend a crumb to gain a better understanding of your surroundings.
Your immediate and most pressing concern is the ten meter long serpentine spectre radiating abject terror. Unlike yourself, it does not have a cord to anchor it to its physical form. It stands between you and your body and eyes both with neck swaying.
It is keeping you from re-uniting with yourself. The snake seems sluggish, perhaps it is just as confused as you are? Two brightly glowing spears stick out of its body, and cracks have formed where they are embedded.

Two orbs, blue and red, move about slowly behind you. You sense two others, one yellow and one weak and indistinct, but their precise whereabouts is difficult with ascertain with the ghostly snake in the way.
You sense other warm presences further away. You sense a gentle tug pulling you towards the orbs, and elsewhere.

A machine stands to your side more real than anything else in this world. It is unnaturally cold, and four columns of light shine down upon it, illuminating the area. It tugs at you, it feels familiar. It is ##Nåzom Stegėth##

You are in great peril.
Something is wrong nearby. It is cold.
Something is wrong further away. It is cold.
Someone(s) or something(s) nearby is dying.
There is an absence you cannot fathom. You cannot perceive it. It is impossible.
You may observe anything nearby in greater detail at the cost of 01 crumbs.
Your movement is being restricted in the direction of your body.
You may move in any other direction. Cost is variable. You do not yet understand why.
Moving towards ##Nåzom Stegėth## would be easiest or cheapest.
Complicated actions will require the expenditure of crumbs. Cost is variable. You do not yet understand why.

You have 05 crumbs remaining.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 14, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Shoot it with the ballista.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

good idea to me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nettle Soup posted:

Is the ballista holding it to this plain or not? Either way Shoot 'im again!

I think with the 02/04, the 04 is because two projectiles are still imbedded in the snake. Let's see what happens in this plane.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
SHOOT THE SNAKE

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Nettle Soup posted:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Shoot snake

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
Shoot the Snake for Toils sake!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Wait actually you know what, it's probably the case that Lloth doesn't want the snake as equivalent exchange because the soul's buggered off to the astral plane here.

Loop our string around the spears to try and tie the bastard back into his badly damaged corpse. With any luck we can blow our crumb wad doing it and then pop out to live sacrifice it to the great mother.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0

This is not a vote.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Puppies are dicks posted:

Loop our string around the spears to try and tie the bastard back into his badly damaged corpse. With any luck we can blow our crumb wad doing it and then pop out to live sacrifice it to the great mother.

I like this idea

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

What makes you think once we revive it we'll be able to control or sacrifice it?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
EAT THE SNAKE.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Move to ##Nåzom Stegėth## to shoot the drat ghost snake

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I vote that you HAVE SEX WITH IT!!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nooner posted:

How the hell did you find this thread now?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Nooner posted:

oh god, it's spreading

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

oh god, it's spreading

I thought a sub-sub-subforum would be enough layers of protection

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Fyad-lite needs to stay in the GBS containment dome.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Toughy posted:

What makes you think once we revive it we'll be able to control or sacrifice it?

It's body is pretty badly beat up at this point, and worst case scenario we create an undead half ghost mind bending snake monster.

Oh wait also does our spider-sense tingle re: using astral snake as a sacrifice?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 15, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
are we really gonna have sex with the snake lol thats messed up man hahahaha

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Spiritual Warfare

As fear wafts from the ghostly viper in great torrents of broken emotions, you attempt to collect yourself and move to your Arbalest, which rests a scant few meters behind you.
The distance is short, but you feel the weight of the serpent straddling your cord an you move as if through molasses, and that in itself feels threatening enough. In this place, wherever you are, your movements are usually unhindered and faster than they would be in the normal world.

As you escape it, you take a moment to consider the snake, viz a viz worthiness as a sacrifice, but even the thought itself seems boring and useless. For what purpose would you do such a thing? You put it out of your mind, you have other things to do.

At last you come to ##Nåzom Stegėth##, though it is cold to the touch and has an aura of wrongness about it. Four pillars of light ascend into the sky around it and into the ground below, as if to pin it in place in your strange environs.
You know it to be loaded, but see no spear resting in the firing chamber. Curious. You move to the back, though hurried for the Snake might make up its mind at any moment, and take quick stock of the iron and oak display.

Most of the mechanical read-outs seem at first glance meaningless drivel. Strange markings that you cannot read. They do however have a sense about them, as if it was merely a different language.
The one you are most concerned about however still seems its normal imperial numeral self. [002/004]

With some effort you shift the weight of ##Nåzom Stegėth## around to aim at the wavering Boa and you feel something amiss. The turning gears are heavy and don't seem to assist you in the way they did before, slowing you down considerably.
Fortunately for you the Boa Conflictor seems ill equipped to deal with the two spears already piercing its form and is content to writhe in spiritual agony.
You notice two of the nearby orbs, the blue one and the red one, moving on their own accord, but this offers you no great insight into their secrets. You feel a tug to both of them.

What follows is a strange otherworldly dance as the eerily shimmering reptile attempts to expel the spears of light whilst you frantically try to pinpoint it with the iron cross-hairs of your siege arbalest. All set to the background of the silent starry stream of to your side; The River Ennui.

---

But everything changes when you pull the lever.
The world around ##Nåzom Stegėth## opens up, vibrating violently as one of the blue pillars of light outshines all else and fractures existence like a rock in a quarry before it fades away completely.

A vortex forms in front of your machine and you hear a sound like distant thunder as the air around you is sucked in and disappears into the now gaping maw centred around the arbalest.
Even secured as you are in the eye of the storm, you can still feel an inescapable pull that begs you to follow it into the real.
From your front-row vantage point you think for a moment you can see the clearing as it was, with daylight instead of the strange sepia tones and the humongous corpse of the fallen Boa instead of the spectre that looms over you.

But as suddenly as it began it is over; the rift closes and in its wake a shining blue-white spear, a cross between the four, now three, pillars that surround you and the iron javelin that Konnie provided for your journey is launched at incredible speeds from the firing lane of ##Nåzom Stegėth##
The display reconfigures itself before your eyes. New numbers appear, [001/003]

Before you can so much as blink, the bolt has struck the serpent in the lower body though it does not penetrate deeply. From the looks of it, the pain must still be unbearable.
The long reptilian wraith squirms and collapses to the ground, the three spears like weights dragging behind it as it begins inching towards the great commotion caused by your arbalest, originating from your exact position.
The wrath you felt before is long since gone, but something primal seems to have taken its place. The white, glowing holes where snake eyes should be know only resentment, and now that it has your scent you fear it will attempt to slake its thirst for revenge on you.

Not all bad news however, as this movement shifts some of its bulk of off your cord. You can feel the tension from it lessening each moment the Boa is allowed to crawl closer though the cost of this is fairly dire in itself:
If you don't put a permanent stop to it, and soon, it might just swallow both you and your arbalest whole. And then where would you be? Do ghosts even have stomachs? It looks keen to find out.

---

[Astral? 'Feeling' Summary]

You are still em-perilled, but the danger has lessened.
You feel a mixture of fear, pity and sorrow.
Something is wrong near ##Nåzom Stegėth##. It is cold. It is noticeably darker. Only three pillars of light now illuminate it, and it seems lighter, no, heavier, no, less of a thing then before?
Something is wrong further away. It is cold.
Someone(s) or something(s) nearby is dying.
You are surrounded by 6 coloured orbs of varying intensity, warmth, composition and colour. They tug at you.
There is an absence you cannot fathom. You cannot perceive it. It is impossible.
You may observe anything nearby in greater detail at the cost of 01 crumbs.
You may move in any direction. Cost is variable. You do not yet understand why.
Complicated actions will require the expenditure of crumbs. Cost is variable. You do not yet understand why.
You have 04 crumbs remaining

1: What do you do next?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

keep shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nyaa posted:

keep shooting

Yeah, I got no idea wtf is going on but shooting things until they stop being confusing isn't a terrible MO for a monster slayer.