Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think there was a giant robot dungeon in a Final Fantasy game, but I can't remember which game.

FF4 features a giant ancient robot that your party explores more than once, iirc, although the first time around it's just a mysterious techno-tower called Bab-Il. ...FF4 is kind of all over the place :allears:

Not liking the new direction Hospo's cartoonist has taken, though. Why can't they do more work like their old strips, dammit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

SatansOnion posted:

FF4 features a giant ancient robot that your party explores more than once, iirc, although the first time around it's just a mysterious techno-tower called Bab-Il. ...FF4 is kind of all over the place :allears:

Not liking the new direction Hospo's cartoonist has taken, though. Why can't they do more work like their old strips, dammit?

breath of fire 1 also had a giant monster dungeon.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Didn't Earthbound also have a giant robot that you first dungeoned in, then controlled?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the problem with taking Hourai High down from within is that no given apparatus of Hourai High is actually competent enough to destroy itself?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 19 - Can I See Your Hallpass?

As the two begin to walk off, Leroy falls to his knees at the agony of a full bladder.

: Only one thing we can do, then! Let's split up and find a free toilet separately!

Because of the new rule, Hourai's bathrooms are now flooded with people who had the smart idea to hold it in until they couldn't take it...just like every other student. There's a single bathroom that's been left unoccupied in the school, and our goal is to find it.

It is good to know that privacy isn't too much of a concern, since you can go up and just open whatever stall you want. You think we could share the toilet, Pengoon?

Oh, no problem. I guess that's a no to sharing, though.

Since we're nearby, we might as well check out the newest movie in the projection room.

Starfish Ron: A Love Story

The only free toilet on campus is located out in Suzuna Lake at the Musketeer's base.

: I have some information on the secret society you're looking into. If you're interested, come to the VIP toilets at the Committee Centre. I'll be waiting!

That's one way to get ahold of somebody.

It's even funnier/creepier in the girl's version. After Lara finds an open stall in the Assembly Hall...

She's accosted outside the bathroom. 'Scuse you indeed, Miwasaka.

: Of all the places to pick...
: Let's just go.
: Yeah...
: Oh, where's Daichi?
: He must be stuck in one of those huge queues for the toilets...

: S-sorry to keep you waiting.
: So you found somewhere? What a relief.
: Er... Er, yeah, I found a good place... A-anyway, let's get out of here ASAP.
: We're going to go to the VIP toilet at the Committee Centre. It looks like we can find out something about the secret society there. Don't ask.

: Um... It's not what it looks like...

It's good to see that the rest of the group holds Daichi in about the same regard as I do. Before we get to the VIP toilets, there's two phone numbers to collect.

: We do not ally ourselves with ze Student Council or other groups so zat we can maintain our neutralité. As a result, our organisation is unrecognised by ze Student Council...
: Do you understand, messieurs? If you discover any villainous cads disturbing ze paix, inform us at once.

We also need to grab the number of the head of the other biggest group on campus, the Patrol Squad.

: I'm Kontou of the Patrol Squad. We battle day and night for peace in our school. Contact me if you find yourself in a spot of bother.

With that taken care of, we can make this chapter's calls.

: Wow! Leroy! I still can't believe you managed to crush that huge robot!
: Looks like we sent that tub of lard Shin to the hospital! And get this - the nurses can't keep up with his demands for hospital food!
: Grr... Do they seriously think stopping people from using the toilet is going to improve their stamina?!
: Sniff... A school festival? ...Sounds fun...
: I see... So aside from Rachel, Class Representative Shin was in on the whole thing too? I really can't believe it. I'm worried that your opponent might be even bigger than we thought. Be careful...
: Mitsurin... Mitsurin want to visit old school sometime.
: GREETINGS. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE SO-CALLED INVINCIBLE 22 WAS NO MATCH FOR US. THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR ONE ROBOT IN THIS GAME. HA. HA. HA. TEST: HELLO? NO RESPONSE FROM USER DETECTED.
: Hmm... So Shin was that secret society's pawn in the end? You never can tell with some people...
: ...Let's see what you've got!
: Zere are 'uge crowds pour les toilettes? What a shameful t'ing to 'ave occur on our watch!
: Where'd that Roku got off to? I was doing a junk sale with him at the school festival. That sneaky kid... He must have heard about some big business opportunity!

Alright, Hospo is now on the scene.

The Committee Centre has beefed up their security with some recolors. Safety Sergeants, Safety She-Devils, and Patrol Squad Leaders now protect the halls.

VIP toilets time! This is actually pretty exciting.

: Maybe they're in the ladies'?

That's slightly suspicious, but hey, I'm a trusting guy. Maybe the ladies' room has a nice place for us and Miwasaka to sit and chat.

But then again, since when was being trusting a good idea in a video game? You trust people and bam! You get surrounded by crazy dudes in robes in the bathroom.

Pfft. Nice outfit, dork.

: Oh, spare me. You're the ones who abandoned me after I got injured. I'm just returning the favour. Take them!
: Argh!

: This is the work of a secret organisation. They're called the Subterra Society, and they're plotting to take over the school.

:goonsay: In the original Japanese, the name of the organization is Kouzan Nostra, an obvious play on Cosa Nostra. However, "kouzan" also means mine (as in a mineshaft) and the organization's symbol is a shovel, so it's a slightly untranslatable pun.

: What?! The Subterra Society?! Ooh, I don't like the sound of that.
: Quiet, you. Pay attention. They've been making a network of secret paths using the school toilets so that they can move around freely. They're searching for something.
: I managed to stop them, but I got caught in their trap... And on top of that, I managed to get stuck with HIM.

: You're the one who jumped the gun just to show everyone what a good little girl you are. I think you're being rather quick to judge, wouldn't you say? No wonder they call you Bad Luck Betty.

: Yes, that's right.
: Splendid! Subterra are none other than the first target of the Twilight Penguins! Those unpleasant rotters are attempting to usurp our dreams of conquering the school.
: I snuck into their secret base here to make a formal protest...only to end up getting captured on my way to see those responsible.
: Wh-what? Are you crazy?!
: And what's more, I'm rather disappointed at the treatment I've been given.

: We've got to make Subterra pay for what they're doing to Hourai. Any enemy of theirs is our friend!
: You can't be serious!
: You've made the smart choice. It's very reassuring. Now that we've got a team going, let's see about getting out of this pit, eh?
: Kamifukuoka... Er, I mean, "Great Leader." How are we supposed to do that?
: Simple! This lock's no match for me.

: Oh, my dear Miss Beatrice! I didn't say anything because if I did and escape from here with you, you'd only just turn me straight into the Public Safety Committee.
: Grr...

: Let's not waste any more time here. Since you let the leader of the Penguins go, don't expect any help from me. What you do from now on is up to you.

A bunch of high-school students and a guy in a penguin suit... I'm sure we'll be able to stop an evil organization.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm totally with the penguin dudes. gently caress these public safety douchebags.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, boss characters only get weaker and frailer when they join your party!

Oh god he's going to have like half a hit point.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 20 - Anti-Bullying Program

Last time we were captured by Roku and teamed up with the Great Leader of the Twilight Penguins.

Kamifukuoka quickly slips out of his penguin suit to join us.

Well, I guess you can't wear that penguin suit all day...right?

I can't show off his Friend Skill quite yet, as there's nowhere for me to raise his Friend Level. However, it's actually a new one, unlike Chihaya and D-51's. He starts out in the Anime club and is the only character so far (other than Leroy and Lara) who has all four club types open to him.

Speaking of Chihaya...she's actually Kamifukuoka's special person. The feeling is not mutual, though. Good luck, buddy.

Welp, time to finally bust out of this place.

Oh boy, another sewer dungeon. It's not the worst sewer dungeon I've ever been in, but still, it's a sewer dungeon.

There's some new enemies to fight. Mystery Man has evolved in Hooded Subterraist and he is joined by Dark Chicken (maybe the same one from Uchina?). There's also the Underworld Fiend, looking very good with his plunger.

Like any good villainous group, Subterra loves just leaving macabre imagery lying around. Why a skull? Why is it here? So many questions unanswered.

Oh, that was quick.

: What?! Really?
: Yes, sir! It was in the Sudent Council President's desk! No doubt about it!
: Now that I've got the Pencil, dealing with them can wait... Now everything I want is in the palm of my hand. AHAHAHAHA!

If we head around to where Roku just was, we can see that he left behind a perfectly good Second Button. What a monster (it's a next-to-useless battle item, but it's still a waste to leave it behind).

After wandering around a bit more, we finally make it back to school grounds.

We promptly run right into Roku.

: Roku! Why do you keep trying to stop us?!
: I've never liked Leroy. Not since that kid transferred in. Not only did Leroy give me an injury so bad that I was laid up for a month...
: The conniving jerk even stole Hospo from me. MY Hospo. The Hospo everyone loves.

Well, I did kinda do that...But it was an accident. I'm sorry, okay?

: Shut up! I HATE Leroy. I don't care what happens to the school!

The rest of Hospo comes to Leroy's side to prepare for battle.

Yes, Roku does indeed seem to be flipping us off. Very rude. Despite his big talk, Roku doesn't have much to offer in battle. He can throw dynamite at us for some damage and can inflict Shy, but he moves slow and isn't really a threat. But, like a true jerk, he only gives us a measly 1 EXP and 1G.

: Ack! You...!

Roku breaks into a sprint and we give chase.

Luckily he slams straight into Miwasaka. Nice timing!

: Besides, I'd have trouble sleeping at night if you suffered because of me. Call this a favour. Now let's get out of here!

Actually...where were you? You asked us to come to the VIP toilets, but then you weren't there. If you got kidnapped, then why weren't you in the cage? Did somebody impersonate you to get us? Were you just screwing around while we were getting kidnapped?

I guess as long as it all ends well, it's fine.

Y-Yay?

The secret group is plotting to control the school, even going as far to use Rachel and Roku to achieve their ambitions. But what is their ultimate goal? Once again, the light of truth is again clouded by mystery. Eventually, December and Christmas came to Utsuho Island...

MYSTERY GROUP BEHIND PERVERSIONS OF JUSTICE, TOILET REGULATION REVEALED

Hospo reporters have uncovered the name of the organisation that's making life a misery for all Hourai students: The Subterra Society! Sadly, concrete details about the group attempting to control the school by manipulating school regulations remain unknown. The Subterra Society and its intentions remain shrouded in mystery.

Additionally, the Twilight Penguins released a firm rebuke, indicating their opposition to Subterra's plans. "The Twilight Penguins have already earmarked Utsuho Island for conquest. We were here first, so you can bloody well clear off!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that was a pitch-perfect set of stats for the King Pengoon, whatever his special abilities end up being.

Also good to see you've got someone sworn to your destruction because of a little bad luck. That's an important ingredient in a successful anime education.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 21 - Great Detective Classics

Ah, just another typical day at Hourai.

Hey Hospo, how are you-- URK.

: Got it. Thanks!

If you're gonna be delivering, could you at least deliver an apology to me?

: Wow, two letters no less. Ooh, does someone have a secret admirer?

I really appreciate the concern, Haru.

: So what do they say?

Might as well start with number 1.

I have a favour that I must ask of you. Please come to the Patrol Squad headquarters in Shinobazu Lake. --Asagi, Patrol Squad

Sounds vaguely worrying. And the second one?

The letter reads: I have a favour that I must ask of you. Please come to the Musketeers' headquarters in Suzuna Forest. --Shouko, Musketeers

Come on, Shouko, don't just copy Asagi!

The scenario doesn't change based on which one you pick, so let's just head over to the Patrol Squad.

: Asagi, eh... I wonder what she wants. Let's go and check it out!

: So what? Are you saying we should turn down a request from a girl?!

Since it's the day before Christmas Eve, there's a bit of Christmas spirit going on.

Before we head to the HQ, there's some things to take care of. First, there's a new club to join behind the Assembly Hall.

The next skill has a higher probability of inflicting Shy on all enemies while the last skill inflicts Amnesia on all enemies.

There's also some new re-colors lurking around - Gang Girls and Thugs.

This is also a good time to show off Kamifukuoka's Friend Skill, Enemy Swap. Using it will randomly switch out enemies for other ones in the area. Sometimes it just reduces the number of enemies, and sometimes it adds in even more enemies.

Helping the Committee Centre repair the tracks has also given us access to a new location deep in the jungle.

This is the only club that D-51 can join, and only he can join it. The next two skills attack all enemies, one with fire and one with ice. I'm glad D-51 is adjusting to school life and making connections.

Let's stop real quick to make some phone calls...

: Me and Isaac are going to have a sweet Christmas Eve party together... just the two of us! Tee-hee!
: I'm gearing up for a special solo party with Julia on Christmas Eve! Hehehehe... Hee hee hee... Heeheehee!
: Sigh... I wish they'd give it a rest just for once. Why do things like this always happen at Christmas?
: Is Christmas...fun?
: I know it's Christmas, and I know that you've got all these adventures and things to keep up with, but... Just don't forget you've got exams coming up, OK?
: What is it now? I've got to keep up the act, you know, so I'm rather occupied with preparing exams. Oh, come to think of it... The Twilight Penguins are a bit low on manpower at the moment. If you see anyone who might have a bright future with us, do let me know.
: Mitsurin no understand Christmas. Christmas food? Tasty?
: CHRISTMAS? ERROR. THERE IS NO ROBOT CHRISTMAS.
: Hear about any good jobs? Let me know if you do! I could do with some cash...
: By the way, that Taro Juice I drank at the end of the year was so delicious. I think I had some in the boys' dorm. It'd be nice if they sold it again this year...
: Subterra? What a strange name... So are they like the Twilight Penguins, then?
: How are you getting on with your investigation of Subterra? According to our research, the Evil Regulations are still sealed away somewhere. We've got to find them before Subterra do!
: You know what Christmas means? Thoughtful presents! Come on, Boss! I'll give you a discount! I heard that some shops from the mainland have started opening discount shops here... I'll show them who's boss in the end!

That Taro Juice sounds sufficiently 7 Wonders-esque, so Hospo is on the case!

: What's up?

: Is it really that rare?
: Well, yeah! No one even knows where or when it was made.

: I hear it tastes so bad it makes you want to cry. The only person to ever say it tasted good was Ryuunosuke Rusu...

: It's...SO AWFUL I WANT TO DIE! AUUUGH!

Yikes. I guess it's time to get going, for Daichi's sake. To Shinobazu Lake we go.

Such love in the air... It really is Christmas.

: We were protecting Akiko, this year's Miss Hourai. Yesterday, she was abducted by someone in Newtown... It seems those responsible are known as the Subterra Society.

: That's right. I wanted to ask you, Leroy, since you're fighting Subterra...
: Understood. Just leave this to Daichi and the Hospo team! Don't you worry, we'll have this all sorted out in a jiffy.
: What?

: Haru... Hinako! Let's go and investigate Newtown straight away!

I guess I can't argue with that. We all take our leave, but Daichi comes back for Round 2.

Me too, Asagi.

Lara's side is the same scenario, but it's Patrol Squad hunk and Mister Hourai Yashichi who was kidnapped instead.

Either way, our investigation starts at Newtown.

BGM: Christmas

Yes, ma'am!

: Talk to all of them, then we'll come back here and we'll pick apart their alibis. Otherwise, this is going to be like looking for a suspicious needle in a haystack of suspicious hay.

Our task is to talk to the nine Santas spread throughout Newtown. For you sleuthing types, feel free to play along as I talk to all the Santas in alphabetical order.

Santa H has the audacity to be located in an area only accessible by the sewers.

That takes care of that.

Let's get cracking, baby!

: Out of the nine Santas at the yakiniku place, market and hospital, the ones that must be innocent are the ones that were with one or more other Santas the whole time.

Hinako gives us three groups of three options to pick from, and only one option from each group has an airtight alibi. Out of all the Santas, A-I, which three can be considered innocent?

Santas C, E, and I can be considered innocent.

Our investigation will continue next update!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And all the while you're hitting random encounters in Newtown, or is this just combat-free walk and talk?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Glazius posted:

And all the while you're hitting random encounters in Newtown, or is this just combat-free walk and talk?

Newtown only has random encounters at night, so luckily we're free to walk around uninterrupted.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does D-51 get any neat skills from that club? Or are they naff?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 22 - Christmas Party

Now that we've claimed several Santas as innocent, it's time to investigate further!

: Were you really at the yakiniku place and the market yesterday? Or were you somewhere else?

Haru wastes no time. This is an interrogation, not a social gathering.

: Wait, what? Why do you have to meet in secret?
: Well, the thing is... Our classes have been at odds because of our results in the athletics festival since May. We're both class representatives, so we met together to see if we could mend the rift... But then, when we met...we fell in love.

Awww, how romantic. A true love story for the ages.

There they go, off into the sunset. Well, maybe not the sunset, but you get the picture. That's two down, so let's continue.

: Are you sure you weren't somewhere else?

: ...The truth is, we were practising down in the sewer here.
: What?! Why do you have to hide down there to practise?
: We couldn't get permission from the Student Council... So what are you gonna do? You gonna turn us in?
: As long as it's nothing to do with the kidnapping, it's nothing to do with us.

: We've got a room behind the Assembly Hall. You're welcome to join whenever you like!
: Cool! Well, see you later.

I mean, the sewers might have good acoustics... But I have no idea how you didn't get the Student Council's permission. Hospo straight up blasted a hole in the wall to make their base, and you can't even play instruments in your clubroom?

The next Santa to question is taking a break in the yakiniku restaurant. You're not getting paid to eat, buddy.

: The truth is, I was with my friends trying to find a good birthday present for our Great Leader.

Kamifukuoka darts out from our party and heads for the toilet.

Twilight Penguins go!

Don't put your penguin feet on the table, Kamifukuoka. People eat there, for god's sake.

: Gah! Kamifukuoka! Er, I mean, Great Leader!

The Santa suits himself up as well.

: Well, I must take my leave now. Farewell!

: A-anyway... That clearly wasn't the kidnapper.
: Yeah, that's right...
: It looks like everyone's got some kind of story to back them up.
: That just leaves Santa H. But he might have got away by now!

As Haru says, Santa H has left town by this point.

: Let's go to Hachirou Shrine!
All: Yeah!

Since we've repaired the tracks, Hachirou Shrine is now a simple train ride away.

: There has to be a secret switch or something somewhere!

The switch is located in the adjunct room. At least make it a challenge!

A rather short and boring dungeon (as boring as lava-filled rooms can be, anyway). There are a few new enemies to be found within the walls.

Most interesting are Sham Santas, looking very jolly with their bag of tricks. They showed up in tandem with Rock Armadillos (very distinct from Rock Lobsters). There's also Bananhas and Raging Turtles.

After braving out the cave, we make it down to what looks to be a Subterra Society base.

: I would have let you live until then, but now I have no choice. Too bad, but this is it for you.

This battle just pits us against four Sham Santas. Easy-peasy.

: So what happened here?
: I was visiting Hachirou Shrine when I saw that Santa and the Principal come out. I thought it was pretty weird. Then, before I realised it, I was captured...
: The Principal again... But why were you here late at night?

: But I liked being a girl, so I asked them to let me stay this way!

My favorite part about this explanation is that it still doesn't explain why she was at the shrine late at night.

: I'm sorry I caused so much trouble, but I'm glad I could meet you, Leroy... Hee hee.

Did I just get a girlfriend?

I think I just got a girlfriend.

Don't be jealous, Yashichi. I'm sure you'll find a girlfriend one day.

In an alternate universe, Lara has just busted some Subterra Scum and rescued Yashichi.

: What happened?
: I was patrolling Hachirou Shrine, when this Santa and the Principal appeared from inside. I thought it was quite suspicious that late at night, but then suddenly I was struck from behind, and...
: The Principal again...
: Do you know about these people?
: They're called Subterra, and they're trying to take over the school. We're members of Hospo, and we're chasing after them.

: Allow me to join you!

Either way, Hospo saves the day once again!

: What about the rest of us?!

Meanwhile, Principal Ayame Tsukishiro continued her suspicious behaviour. But the kidnapping was no more than a prelude to a much greater plot...

Guess who's back!

: You've saved me again! Allow me to grace you with my presence as thanks!
: ...I don't like his smug attitude, but still, it can't hurt to have another member!

A CLOSE SHAVE

If it weren't for the quick thinking of the Hospo staff, one of Hourai's idols could have perished as a result of the Subterra Society's evil plotting. A Subterra member disguised as Santa was apprehended at the scene, underground Hachirou Shrine.

With Christmas almost upon us, the sound of Jingle Bells filled the streets, and even groups such as the Twilight Penguins and the Mad Scientists were keeping their noses clean. However, the Subterra Society appear to be stepping up their game.

In other news, the starfish-like lifeform that has been the subject of much rumour was revealed to be an alien called Starfish Ron. Have a merry Christmas, and a happy new year!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I've only read the first update so far, but I think I can safely already declare it a tragedy that this game didn't get translated and has no recognition.

Also while I'm posting this there's an image of a ninja trying to murder Santa Claus above me, so my point stands.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

I've only read the first update so far, but I think I can safely already declare it a tragedy that this game didn't get translated and has no recognition.

Also while I'm posting this there's an image of a ninja trying to murder Santa Claus above me, so my point stands.

You're in for a ride, alright. :allears:

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, it had the problem of being developed and published by virtually unknown companies (I figured out where I'd heard of J-Wing before, they published a crappy puzzle game for the Virtual Boy) and being an anime game before anime games were a viable choice to publish in America. (Speaking of anime games, I keep forgetting to comment but I've been enjoying your Rune Factory LP)

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 23 - This Is Not a Drill

These three groups will take lessons at their respective times to demonstrate their desire for learning."

: Oh no! My afternoon classes are about to start!

Another day at Hourai...I wonder what we actually learn here. I wonder if we learn anything here.

BGM: Hospo Editors' Room

: I think I've got a lead! It turns out that Houra's star archaeologist, Professor Daiouji, is due to give a lecture about something to do with "evil regulations" soon.
: Professor Daiouji? Isn't he that guy from the research department who's supposed to be a bit, er, eccentric? I bet he's probably just going to spout something completely pointless that has nothing to do with anything.
: Well, I'd rather hear him out than a certain young man who can't turn up a single lead!
: Bah! It's not easy, you know...

A ringing noise starts up.

: Principal Ayame! What happened?
: We're in trouble! Some creeps in strange outfits just turned up at the research centre, and...
: What?! Who were they?

: .........

: Wait! What if it's a trap?! This is all just a little too fishy for my liking...
: Well, you know what they say! Even if it is a mousetrap, you might still be able to grab some cheese! Let's see what the real story is!
: Er, what? I don't think anybody says that...

I hope everybody makes it their goal to now go around saying that phrase, 'cause it's definitely mine.

Since the phone's right here, might as well call everybody up.

: It looks like we're going to be real busy in the new year. I sure am glad that I've got Isaac to back me up!
: Hey! Hourai! Let's have a good year, OK? Just watch out for my full swing when I show off for Julia!
: They're in the Research Department, right? Let's take 'em out!
: Maybe... Sniff... Maybe if I go to the Research Department... Maybe they'll be able to... bring me back...
: I knew Ayame would wind up like that, acting all cute and doing whatever she wants...
: What?! Subterra showed up at the Research Department?! Excellent... I'll show them just how fearsome the Penguins can be!
: Principal? Mitsurin friend! Save friend!
: I AM INTERCEPTING MANY IMAGE SEARCHES FOR PRINCIPAL AMEYA... ERROR! EXCUSE ME. I MEANT AYAME. IT SEEMS THAT SOMEONE HAS ADDED AN INCORRECT ENTRY TO MY SPELLCHECK.
: My comrade-in-arms should be around here somewhere... Have you seen any other starfish?
: Happy new year!
: Happy new year.
: Is that what happened? OK, I'll go to the Research Department. There might be a bit of money in it for me!
: Come to think of it, I haven't seen the Principal lately. I wonder what she's doing? Do you know anything, Leroy?
: ...I see. Don't go around telling everyone! The Patrol Squad is investigating.
: Bon voyage! Still... Why did ze Principal go to ze Research Department?
: Valentine's Day is coming up! I've already stocked up on cards, chocolate, and treats... But that stupid Subterra's ruining my business! *sniff*

There's only a few things to do on campus, starting with showing off our new party members.

Akiko's Friend Skill (Crocodile Tears) and Yashichi's Friend Skill (Cheeky Grin) work basically the same way: they paralyze enemies for a turn. However, Akiko's only works on male enemies while Yashichi's only works on female enemies. Both of them also tend to crash the English patched game.

For as much boasting as Starfish Ron does, his Friend Skill is the same as Kamifukuoka's - it swaps enemies out for different ones.

Since it's the new year, we need to go check on a certain statue.

Alright! We're now at 5/7 of the Wonders. That's all we needed to do on campus, so it's time to get to the research department which is, er...

Right, west of the South Block.

Yes, random student, a journalist's job is never done.

The research department was previously unreachable, but some kind soul repaired the bridge. There's also some new enemies lurking about.

The Puppet Student (female) can pack a mean punch while Hypno Students (male) can leave us unable to act. The Demonic Teacher is a simple re-color and power-up.

While you can just immediately head to the research department, taking a quick detour to the south will give you the chance to join another club.

This club grants you no skills. However, combining it with the Alchemy or Ritual club raises the EXP you gain by 10 or 20% respectively. It's definitely one of the best Combo Skills in the game, especially at this point when you've mastered most or all of the clubs you need and have room to spare. The skills are called "Nice" and "Very Nice," mirroring my sentiments exactly.

: The key is the Cheerleading Club. Combine that with a special club found outside of the Club Centre, and... There's one caveat, though. It takes a special kind of person to use the mighty Cheer Dance skill. A surprising person.

Speaking of good skills, Cheer Dance is also something you'll likely want to get your hands on. Unfortunately, only the girl's side gets this skill because the "surprising person" in question is Yashichi. By combining the Cheerleading Club with the Patrol Club (exclusive to Yashichi), you'll get a full-heal for your entire party.

Now then, it's time to quit lollygagging - we've got a principal to save.

Oh, speak of the devil.

: Yes, but never mind me! The strange people I was telling you about went into the literature department...

: Got it! Just leave everything to us!

Oh, whoops. Maybe we should've trusted Haru after all...

Daichi and I join Haru in his long sigh.

: This is a perfectly legitimate form of plot progression!

That's right, no point in whining about it! We're supposed to get to the end of the department, but there's several pieces of literature sitting around.

A volcano found near the research centre in the west of Utsuho. Bordered on the south by the jungle. As such, people generally do not visit it. The mysterious Flying Whale and Rocketsaurus are said to inhabit the area."

I hope you enjoy Naga's lisp as much as I enjoyed typing it all out.

: My name ith Naga. I'm an offither of the Thubterra Tho...Tho...Thothiety! And trutht me, that maketh much higher up the ladder than Shin!
: And you, you're jutht wathting your time! By now, Mathter Jom-Ra will have found the next Evil Regulation in the archaeology department! Glee hee hee!

And with that, Naga bounces his way out of the building.

We'll give chase next update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So who is actually writing all these stupid regulations? This one seems more like it's punishing the teachers.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 24 - Quiet in the Library

After taking care of Naga, we're off to go find Principal Ayame.

Well, not without stopping off at the biology department first.

: He must be off sulking somewhere because we didn't give him his favourite cat food... Oh, Cattus, come back! I'm so sorry!

: Now cluck off!

Subterra should recruit this guy, he's ten times scarier than any member I've run into so far.

Mew to you too, sir.

As seen previously in the award-winning film "Starfish Ron: A Love Story," Starfish Romy chills down here in the biology department and will be joined by Starfish Ron when he's not in the party.

For now, it's onto the archaeology department. Like the literature department, there's a plethora of tidbits to read.

A celebrated archaeologist.
Gave speeches about his research into the myths of Utsuho after the war. Still studying myths and legends from a variety of areas to this day. One of the most respected professors at the school."

Founder of the Hourai Preparatory School, predecessor to Hourai High. Said to have adventured not only over all of Japan, but also as far as Tibet. Passed in 1868 aged 101."

74th Student Council President. Known for her charming, round eyes. Though she has yet to produce any new policies, the students trust her deeply. Previous year's Miss Hourai."

A forest in the southeast of the school. Musketeer territory."

Though previously a giant forest covering much of the island up to about 100 years ago, much has been cut down due to development of the school. Fueno Forest marks the west of the school, Suzuna Forest the east. The legendary Valentine Circle is said to be found here."

An uninhabited island to the west of Utsuho. The traditional summer Star Festival is held here."

There's only two new enemies wandering around the department - Demons and Subterra Battle-axes. Both are recolors, but Demons can cause Pheromone and Subterra Battle-axes can take away GP.

Nowhere else to go but in.

: Good thing we found it first!

Just what this RPG was missing: evil old wizard dude.

Let me fix that: evil old teleporting wizard dude.

Even more old dudes enter the fray.

: Wh-who are you?! You cowardly monster!
: Ha. If you say so. I am Jom-Ra -- the head officer of the Subterra Society!

With a flourish, Jom-Ra teleports in and yanks the tablet from Leroy's hands.

: Yes, Naga. Now put an end to these fools!

Joma-Ra out!

Oh, c'mon Naga, even that's too much. You might be part of an evil organization, but that doesn't mean you can go around throwing old men into walls.

Though he's still a pushover, Naga does have more tricks up his sleeves than most bosses do. He can summon fire spirits to attack the entire party and he can also inflict Selfish. Still not enough to beat us, though.

: Huh. I thought you'd be a bit more grateful considering we just saved you from a nasty doom.

: When they do, they'll be able to control the entire school with their power! I'd have gladly given my life to stop them... The only thing we can do now is search for the Three Items!
: What three items?
: Oh, don't you know anything?! Listen!

Daichi continues to be the butt of the biggest joke of all - his life.

: Quiet, boy! Now, I'm sure it was on top of this shelf... Ah! Found it!

: The ancient record says: "...The Evil Regulations had a terrible power, power enough to rule the entire school. There was nothing we could do. The school seemed fated for a shroud of darkness and suffering."
: "Yet, with the three legendary items said to have once been used by Hourai alumni... The Famous Sayings of Hokita, the Hundred-Year Pencil and the Student ID of the Ancients... We somehow managed to overcome the terrible threat posed by the Evil Regulations."
: So we need those three items to destroy the Evil Regulations...
: That's right! But we don't have much time...

: Yeah... That old pencil Roku had, maybe that was the 100-Year Pencil?
: What?! You've already found the 100-Year Pencil?!
: Then that means... The Sayings of Hokita must be that book the Principal found on the field trip!
: What?! The Principal has the second item?!
: No, we have it now.
: Oh, magnificent! What wonderful news! If the Principal had it...
: What about the Principal?

: Could she be...?
: No way... Even the Principal's on their side?
: But... Remember how she tricked us, too?

: Well, we can't worry about her now. We've got to concentrate on getting all three of the Three Items. We already have The Famous Sayings of Hokita and the 100-Year Pencil... All that's left is to find the Student ID of the Ancients.
: Do you know where we can find it?
: Of course! I'm not senile yet, you know!

: Glad we're agreed! I'll take the liberty of joining you, then!

Together, they set out to find the Student ID of the Ancients. With the appearance of Naga and the ringleader, Jom-Ra, the Subterra Society was finally beginning to reveal itself. But what of the Evil Regulations? And is Principal Ayame really a traitor?

REVEALED: The truth about the school rules introduced by the Subterra Society!

An investigation by the Hospo team has revealed that the rules being introduced by Subterra were once known as the Evil Regulations, sealed away long ago. There is a total of seven of these rules, and it is believed that Subterra plans to use them to usurp the school.

The incident that took place in the research department in the new year is believed to be an attempt to take advantage of the limitations on movement brought about by the new Three-Shift Rule, in order to steal the material for the last Evil Regulation from the eminent historian Professor Daiouji.

Additionally, Hospo is now investigating any links between the Subterra Society and Principal Ayame, who went missing around the time of the incident.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So now the evil principle has the evil regulations. That can only end well.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Which of those rules have we seen so far?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Can we get a list of special persons at some point? I need to know who is most important to Starfish Ron.

God I hope it's me.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which of those rules have we seen so far?

So far the regulations introduced have been:
Mind/Body Training Rule (ch 2)
The Curfew (ch 5)
Gender Segregation Rule (ch 8)
Toilet Restriction Order (ch 9)
Three-Shift Lesson Rule (ch 11)

Explosions posted:

Can we get a list of special persons at some point? I need to know who is most important to Starfish Ron.

God I hope it's me.

I'll grant your wish right now! This list goes "Character - Special person":

Daichi - Hinako
Hinako - Daichi
Haru - D-51
Isaac - Julia
Julia - Isaac
Misato - Yashichi
Adachi - Kamifukuoka
Mitsurin - none
D-51 - Haru
Chihaya - none
Kamifukuoka - Chihaya
Akiko - Leroy
Yashichi - none
Starfish Ron - none
Professor Daiouji - Starfish Ron

And, for our two leads (my own personal choice):
Leroy - Akiko
Lara - Misato

Lucky you, it looks like you still have your chance to become Starfish Ron's special someone.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
I'm really glad Haru got someone nice, even if they're not human or possibly even capable of romantic relationships.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PeaceDiner posted:

Don't be jealous, Yashichi. I'm sure you'll find a girlfriend one day.

His potential girlfriend is trapped in the other half of the route split. Poor guy. (And also dead, but I don't think she'd let that stop her.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The sayings of Hokita, huh?

I'm expecting the ancient Japanese equivalent of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaHVJw79jo

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 25 - Mountain Climbing Excursion

: I knew it... She really was a spy for Subterra.
: ...She does disappear from time to time. Maybe she'll just appear out of nowhere again like she always does?
: I hope so...
: There's no time for moping around! Let's get a move on!

: Mount Amatsu! According to these texts, the Student ID of the Ancients is sealed within an old factory in the jungle at the foot of Mount Amatsu.
: Wow! Nice work, Professor!
: Now, enough lollygagging! We must go to Mount Amatsu at once!

Alright professor, calm down a second. We have some stuff to take care of before heading to Amatsu.

First we need to stop by the inn at the research department. The inn is actually comprised of the inn, the stores, and the storage room.

Gotta get some cat food, 'cause you never know when you'll run into a hungry cat.

While we're here, we may as well call everybody up.

: Ooh, that no-good principal! Just who does she think she is? Actually, just who IS she?
: So Japanese Valentine's is all about eating chocolate and tender moments, huh? Me, I took Julia to Fueno Forest, then...
: I still can't believe the Principal was working with Subterra all this time...
: I... I want to... Sniff... I want to be someone's Valentine too...
: Never mind Ayame - you've got to check out that old factory by Mount Amatsu!
: Hmm... So the key to conquering Utsuho is at the base of Mount Amatsu, is it? Intriguing.
: Mitsurin know. Big cat! Seen in jungle far away. Far away!
: ERROR: VALENTINE'S CARD NOT FOUND. QUERY: WHY DO HUMANS EXCHANGE PIECES OF PAPER? IT IS...MYSTERIOUS.
: The animals of this planet are in constant battle. It is a sad thing. Heh! Get it? That was funny. It sounded silly because I'm of a superior alien race. I order you to chuckle sardonically.
: I want to give someone special a Valentine's card... Too bad I've got my position as Miss Hourai to think about. Every year, it costs me 100,000 G just to get cards for the whole school...
: Every year I end up with a mountain of Valentine's cards. Ah... Unfortunately, it seems that not many cards came in this year... I suppose it must be down to all that's been going on lately.
: Oi! What are you playing at?! You've got to go and find the last of the Evil Regulations, post-haste!
: Still... I never would have expected Subterra to be so powerful. Even the Public Safety Committee's throwing all their resources into chasing them down. You should try to stay out of their way and help them if you can!
: It's nearly Valentine's Day, isn't it? I heard there's a place in Fueno Forest where your love wishes come true. I wonder if it's real?
: ...What?! It was Subterra who kidnapped Principal Ayame?! How dare they! We, the Patrol Squad, will bring them to justice!
: Quoi?! Ze Principal was kidnapped by Subterra?! We shall be looking into zis, mes amis!
: What?! Really? We've got to go to Mount Amatsu immediately!
: Hmph... So that's what happened at the Research Department. Right! I'll get my wares together and head out to do some business!

The next order of business is located within Fueno Forest.

There's a few new enemies roaming around here, with a real orange theme going on. Vicious Hooters and Noble Musketeers aren't anything special, and Giant Shrooms can cause Sick.

And bringing in a music reference is the White Snake enemy.

Since Professor Daiouji just joined us, let's check out his Friend Skill. It's super boring, because it's the exact same as Haru's down to the name. Disappointing.

: What?! You mean that legendary circle where you stand in the middle, think of the one you love, and it guarantees you'll be together forever?!
: That's right. I can't believe it's real!

Both Leroy and Lara get chocolate from Mutsumi at the Valentine Circle. They both just radiate charisma, so I guess Mutsumi can't resist either of them.

One last thing before we head to Mount Amatsu. There's a new film in the projection room, and Lara gets to watch it because she didn't pick up any extra characters except Misato. This film shows off "missing people," including characters you haven't gotten.

Visitors

Alright, onto Amatsu we go. Since the train line to it has been fixed, we can just head straight there.

BGM: Subterra Society

Mount Amatsu... is kinda a boring dungeon. It's big, sometimes I get lost, and it's mostly just a bunch of purple caves.

More shrooms and more music references with Utsuho Shrooms and Bee-Bee Kings. Also joining the shrooms are Mountain Mandrills.

There's also some pests around, with Utsuho Dragonflies and Man-Eating Dragonflies.

I know you all love caves as much as I do.

The gimmick of this dungeon are the pitfall rooms. If you look closely, you can see parts of the floor look different and will drop you to the floor below if you step on them.

There's even more enemies to find inside the caves, including Dark Sunflowers, Rocketsauruses, and Deadly Spiders.

As well as Armoured Whales.

If you make it to the top of the mountain, you can gaze out over Utsuho's forests. Nothing but trees out there.

After wading through water on the lowest level, we finally make it out of Amatsu.

And go right back into dungeons.

We run into Elephriends (who are not my elefriends) and Ur-Mandrills.

As well as Giant Cats.

Speaking of giant cats.

With that, we've now gotten every party member in the game. Nothing like a party with a giant cat, alien starfish, ghost, and robot.

: Yes, this is the place.

I see the Public Safety Committee has expanded into acrobatics now.

: I was a fool. I should have known they would be after the resonator stones... We can't hang around here. Enough lollygagging! We've got to go!
: This is getting to be a pain in the neck...

The sign above the door that Daiouji was referring to reads "Amatsu Resonator Stone Factory" backwards.

The room begins to flash...

Until the two disappear in the light.

: They broke the theal which the Thtudent ID of the Anthienth had plathed upon it!
: What?!

Oh, hello there.

The robed man switches on the conveyor belt.

Please Naga, your lisp is too annoying for you to be a good reoccurring villain.

Naga's underling snatches the ID before anybody else can grab it.

: It'th time for me to put you in your plathe... My honour dependth on it!

Naga may be elite, but he isn't creative because this battle is exactly the same as the one from last chapter. Done and done.

Sorry and bye-bye! That's the last we'll see of Naga.

We still have to worry about getting that ID, though.

: Bah! I eat underlings like you for breakfast, and then I use their bosses for toothpicks!

: And you, you're just the same! Aren't you embarrassed to let them push you around?!

Beatrice storms up to Leroy and pushes an item into his hands.

: Yes... It's the Student ID of the Ancients. I'll entrust it to you for now. You must stop Subterra's evil plot!

: W-wait... Just hang on a minute. We still don't know what we're supposed to do...
: Subterra is going to try and bring back the Evil Regulations at the class representatives' meeting in the Assembly Hall. Now that you've gathered the Three Items, stopping them is YOUR responsibility!

Beatrice and her Public Safety goons leave, dragging the Subterra members along with them.

Will they succeed in using the combined power of the Evil Regulations to take over the school? Or will Leroy and friends, with an unusual task thrust upon them by the Public Safety Committee, somehow manage to turn the tables on Subterra? Meanwhile, the students of Hourai gathered in the Assembly Hall for the imminent class representative meeting... The time for Hospo's final battle with Subterra has come.

PUT AN END TO THE EVIL REGULATIONS!

The evil, creeping hand of the Subterra Society attempts to usurp the school. In order to defend and protect the three values beloved by Hourai's founder, Hokita: liberty, friendship and irresponsibility, we of Hospo have decided to fight our way into the meeting in the Assembly Hall where the final regulation is due to be ratified!

I was looking forward to Valentine's Day so much, and now it's all gone down the drain. This isn't some kind of joke. Hey, Subterra! Give me back my Valentine's Day!

Come! It is time for all students to unite under my banner and fight Subterra!

And now for a special after-chapter event...

: Happy birthday to you--
: Happy birthday dear Leroy--

As I decided at the beginning of the game, Leroy's birthday is in February. When it's your birthday, Hospo will celebrate and you'll get either items, stat upgrades, or both depending on which month it is. Because Leroy's birthday is in February, he'll get a 6-point upgrade to all of his stats.

: It's your birthday this month, right? We remembered! We all got you a cake. Now, blow out the candles! Go on, just give the A button a push.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Age raised by 1."

Okay, that's a pretty amazing joke.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PeaceDiner posted:

Update 25 - Mountain Climbing Excursion

Age raised by 1

That's cute. :3:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

PeaceDiner posted:

Yeah, it had the problem of being developed and published by virtually unknown companies (I figured out where I'd heard of J-Wing before, they published a crappy puzzle game for the Virtual Boy) and being an anime game before anime games were a viable choice to publish in America. (Speaking of anime games, I keep forgetting to comment but I've been enjoying your Rune Factory LP)

Well, I'm caught up now, and all I can really say is some strange mixture of :stonk: :v: and of course :japan:.

Even as someone who really dislikes anime(my lp choices aside, glad you like it, though!), this game is really charming in the goofiest ways. It's like if Persona had no demons/shadows, so they just had to have wacky school antics for the whole game and it got wonderfully bizarre. I'm not sure how you found this, but it's definitely something I'm glad you did and decided to show off.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 26 - Crashing the Party

"This does not apply only to classes and club activities, but within dorms and outside of school as well. Additionally! The mind and body rule, the curfew rule, the gender segregation rule... the toilet restriction rule, the three-shift lesson rule, and the uniform rule... These regulations, having proved essential for a healthy school, are to be prohibited from any modification or repeal!"

: Don't worry. The Council would never pass something so blatantly insane as that.
: Still, did you see them? They all staggered into the Assembly Hall like they were possessed...
: Should we...go in and check it out?
: Y-yeah, good idea...
: ...Yeah, just a peek...

Meanwhile, at the assembly hall...

Title drop! It's a title drop. You know things are getting serious now.

: Is everyone all equipped and ready to go? The plane's waiting on the roof.
: Alright, then. Let's go.

: No time for doubting yourself now! Come on, let's move!

Since all of the students went to check out the assembly hall, Hourai's main building is completely deserted. There's not much to do around here, but we do need to get that last Wonder of Hourai.

We return to the locked door in the teacher's lounge.

: What? There's just some old notebook...
: ...

: Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I guess we might as well go.
: ...It was kept hidden here for so long. There's got to be something to it!

Unlike all of the other Wonders, the Complete Notebook is actually an item. Using it will raise your Academics stat

There's one other door in Hourai's main building that the Student ID of the Ancients unlocks.

"It was ** years ago. A group called the Subterra Society appeared, and attempted to take over the school using regulations with the power of the Devil himself... the Evil Regulations. None could challenge the Evil Regulations, and it seemed as if Hourai's fate had been sealed.

But in our moment of darkness, the sacred Three Items reversed Hourai's fate! The power of the Three Items were such that they were able to seal away the Evil Regulations and return freedom to the school. In order to prevent Hourai from falling into peril again in the future, the Evil Regulations and Three Items were sealed away.

But we must stay vigilant. Remnants of Subterra exist to this day..."

With the history lesson done, let's take the chance to call everybody before beginning our daring raid.

: This is the final battle! But as long as Isaac's with me, we can make it!
: This is gonna be the final battle. Don't worry, I'm totally hyped! Let me show Julia what I can do!
: It's time to finally show Subterra who's boss! Lemme at them!
: Maybe now... I...I can finally...move on to the next world...
: The final battle's coming up. I'm so proud of you... I just know you'll protect the school.
: So it's time to give old Subterra the coup de grace, what? Perhaps I'll join you at the Assembly Hall... After all, conquering the school... No, conquering all of Utsuho is the destiny of the Twilight Penguins! We can't allow Subterra to get in our way, much less pip us to the post!
: Mitsurin do best! For Leroy! For all the jungle friends!
: QUERY: WHY WAIT? WE MUST GO TO THE ASSEMBLY HALL. THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT.
: If we win this battle, we can bring peace back to Utsuho! Be brave, human! Then, the way will be clear for me to...
: It's time for the final battle! I'll do everything I can to help put an end to this!
: The final battle is upon us. You have my sword!
: Oi! What are you playing at?! You've got to go to the Assembly Hall, post-haste! Oooh... I think I burst a blood vessel.
: Meeeeow meow meow!
: Well, if it isn't Leroy! I'm on my way to the Auditorium too! After all, the school's in trouble. Besides, if those goons take over, then it's gonna get harder for me to earn a decent crust...
: The only ones who can stand up to Subterra are the slightly goofy Hospo kids!
: ...I see. The Patrol Squad will fight alongside you... for Hourai!
: We Musketeers will help you... to bring back peace to ze school!

I'm really glad the Biplane Club forgave us for hijacking their plane and then crashing it into a giant robot.

: Once you break into the Assembly Hall, you won't be able to get out until you go down to the ground floor.

After all the stuff Leroy's been through this year, I doubt there's anything he's not ready for.

: Please, do your best...for our sake!
: Thanks.
: Alright! Let's go!

After bouncing into the plane, we take off to the skies.

Daichi is also much better at steering the plane than last time. Perhaps he's been practicing?

Despite the fact that Leroy busted straight into the main part of the assembly hall at the beginning of the year, the hole in question does not take you there but instead drops you off in the wings of the hall.

It's a short dungeon that consists of pushing buttons and going through doors.

The only enemies here are Gaga Girls and Marionettes. They aren't too much trouble, though Marionettes can cause Amnesia.

While we're here, let's check out our new furry friend. Cattus's Friend Skill, Bribe, causes enemies to join your side by giving them money. It also crashed my game every time I used it on the English patch.

Now it's time to bust in and save the day.

C'mon man, we've run into your group so many times, you'd have thought that everyone would get an information sheet on us or something.

: You're finished!

: Ha ha ha ha... We have brainwashed all your fellow students. Their hearts and minds are ours!

Well, we have gone through this entire game beating up people, what's a few dozen more?

Our saviors are here! You wouldn't expect a bunch of guys in penguins suits could be saviors, but life surprises you sometimes.

: OK!

In a display of brutal savagery, Hinako knocks Mr. Subterra right off the stage.

Doing so seems to knock all of the students out of their hypnosis.

I kind of like the blue uniforms. Maybe we should keep them? I can't discount Subterra's taste in fashion.

: Muhaha... You must be shocked.
: Th-th-there's two Principals...! Where did they even come from?!

: Lady Kaname is the younger sister of Ayame Tsukihiro. From now on, the both of them will lead Subterra and Hourai High together!
: What the hell is going on here?! Bah! I don't know any more! Just give us back Principal Ayame!
: Impudent wretches. You'll make fine sacrifices for Subterra! Take them! Ayame! Kaname!

Now this is more of a proper boss battle. Ayame is the weakest of the bunch, as her only skill is the attack "Cross Attack" (which she yells out in proper anime fashion). Kaname is the support for the group, as she can raise everyone's attack and cause Amnesia. Jom-Ra has a veritable smorgasbord of attacks, starting with Fire, Water, and Thunder spirits which hit the entire party. His lecture, pictured above, can also hit the entire party. His last skill is the most dangerous, as it can instantly take out one of your party members (though he doesn't tend to use it, as I only got him to use it once in five different battles)

The final option in question is the time-honored tradition of "running away."

: More importantly, is Kaname OK? We were separated ever since we were little... She's my younger twin! She suddenly vanished one day...
: I never thought I'd meet her again in a place like this! Now that I think of it, they must have kidnapped her and brainwashed her... Sigh...
: Fate can be a strange and cruel thing. Well...never mind that. You've got to chase Jom-Ra! He's trying to use use some kind of strange power to take over Hourai!

: I was being used by Jom-Ra all this time...

Astute readers probably noticed that, at times, Ayame's portrait looked different - because it wasn't Ayame at all, but Kaname.

Ayame's portrait
Kaname's portrait

With Kaname and Ayame back to normal, all that's left is Jom-Ra. Join me next update as we race towards the final battle!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. A final battle. When I think of everything we've been through, I can't even conceive of what the final battle might be.

Unless...

BLUE BOOK FINAL! What was your most formative experience at Hourai High? (don't use X or Z)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looking forward to the final battle.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

If this final fight does not have at least one compare/contrast essay I'm gonna be fuckin' livid.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 27 - Final Exam

It's time to give chase to Jom-Ra, leader of the Subterra Society. After being defeated, he ran off into his base underground.

BGM: Subterra Society

Despite being the final dungeon, Subterra's base isn't much to sneeze at. I guess Jom-Ra didn't feel like setting aside any funds to hire an interior decorator.

What is fitting for a final dungeon is the amount of new enemies crawling around. Gold Shrooms can cause Pheromone while Black Dinomite can cause some nasty damage with his fire breath.

Stepping into the water bombards us with King Turtles, Crab Kings, and Uber Eels. Crab Kings are the only ones to really look out for, since they can hit 4 times per turn.

Naught Armadillos and Cock of the Walk are what I can only assume are Subterra's pets. I guess that means that the Subterra Matriarchs are responsible pet owners, coming into battle with them.

Last up are the Subterra Zealots, clothed in a fetching red.

Not all Subterra members are chomping at the bit to fight, though; some will even take a moment to chat with us.

Are you guys a crazy society or just mole people? Perhaps both?

Maybe you guys should get a nice vacation house in Newtown.

: It is said something very special is hidden there...

It's not just Subterra members under here, either.

: I'll help you, Hospo! I can sell you some special items on the cheap. Like anything you see?

Sorry, but no thanks. I've got a crazy villain to defeat, so there's no time to shop.

All that's left is to walk through these doors.

: Hey, Jom-Ra! Just what are you planning to do with this base of yours?!
: Ha! If you must ask, I'll tell! Listen well! There exist special stones on Utsuho Island that contain a strange power.
: We, the Subterra Society, are descended of a group that once came to seek them!

: They destroyed the mountain, taking what was ours with it, and built the school campus! We were trapped beneath the earth, left to wonder if we'd ever have a chance for revenge.
: Yes, we almost had the chance nearly 40 years ago, but it ended in dismal failure, and we don't talk about it in polite company. Rebuffed, we had been forced to perservere for more long months and years yet.

: Behold!

: Oh, you know about resonator stones, do you? Yes! I have finally obtained the power of the resonator stone! This legendary stone is said to be a relic of an ancient civilisation found only on Utsuho Island.
: A resonator stone has the power to amplify any wish or desire of the beholder...and turn it into a source of incredible energy!
: Are you going to use that to take revenge on Hourai?!

: Kaname was no more than a puppet! The Evil God Nubbins, no more than papier-mache! I created Subterra to control the school, excavate the resonator stones, and then use their power to conquer all of Japan -- no, the world!
: I will become unto a god! Uuuuaaaaaaahahahaha!
: He's totally self-obsessed.
: We've got to do something! If it's as Professor Daiouji said... We've got to keep Jom-Ra from getting his mitts on the resonator stones' power!

: We heard a loud noise... Are you harmed?!
: Lady Kaname is above ground...

: ...using the power I granted to me by the Evil God, Nubbins! Behold! Be grateful that you are one of the few to witness his divine form...
: ...for it will be the last thing you shall ever see! He has finally descended... Oh, Nubbins! Grant me the power to banish this evil!

: Ha ha ha! What a joke. Did you seriously get fooled by this thing?
: This stupid thing is such an obvious fake.

: Perhaps you'd like a taste of the resonator stones' power instead! I'll wipe all of you out in one fell blow! GWAAAAAARGH!

Was Jom-Ra's wish to be a buff Smurf? If so, then good job, dude.

: This is getting serious! Get ready, everyone! This is the last hurdle!

A pretty basic battle after last time's three-man boss. Jom-Ra's lost most of his moves, though he can still hit the entire party with fire. He can cause some nice damage with a special Resonator Stone-boosted attack, and can raise his evasion for several turns as well. He still goes down pretty easily, though.

Sorry Jom-Ra, magic steroids will only get your muscles so far.

A great rumbling starts to shake the room.

As the quake subsides, Jom-Ra begins teleporting around.

: Wait, Daichi! Look... Something really strange is happening to Jom-Ra!

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED... BEHOLD MY POWER.

SURFACE-DWELLING HUMANS... DOOM AWAITS YOU.

Request: denied.

As any sane person would do, the group runs back to the room's entrance as fast as their feet can.

: Come ON, Haru! This is no time for pulling and weeping!
: I...I know, but...!

: Hey...!
: The Three Items are shining...!
: ...Eureka! I see now! The Three Items must have activated to seal away evil!

> The Hundred-Year Pencil activated! All members' HP was fully restored!
> The Student ID of the Ancients activated! All members' GP was fully restored!

: Here he comes!

And here he is! Nubbins is a three-part battle with no stops in between, starting with the bottom-most Mr. Elephant. He's not a heavy-hitter, but he can still ruin your day and your battle. You need to watch out when he winks at you, because he has the ability to inflict any ailment on your entire party. It's a good idea to have at least two people in your party with either the Nursing or Eastern Medicine club so that one can heal if the other gets hit with an especially bad ailment.

Next in line is Mr. Turtle. He's the more physical of the two Misters, with body slams as well as fire breath. He's not as devious as Mr. Elephant, but his special move is a physical attack that ignores any defensive buffs you might've applied and doubles his strength.

And now for the big man himself, Nubbins. Well, Nubbins and his four weapons - spear, axe, skull, and scroll. Each of the weapons has their own HP pool, their own turn during battle, and their own moves. It's a pretty good idea to take them all out, since some of them can be a pain. Luckily they all have 1/4 the HP of Nubbins, so they go down pretty fast. The skull, spear, and axe all have physical moves with varying levels of damage, while the scroll can recover HP.

Nubbins himself can hit hard, but his main danger is a move that can instantly knock out anybody in your party. He's more likely to use it than Jom-Ra was back in his battle with Ayame and Kaname, but it isn't likely to completely ruin the battle.

With this, Subterra's reign of terror is finally over.

: We're getting out of here!

HOURAI UNITED TO SAVE THE SCHOOL! SUBTERRA SOCIETY DESTROYED!

The Subterra Society has finally been thwarted hard...for good. It emerged that they had brainwashed Principal Ayame's long-lost twin sister, Kaname, and used her to assemble the Evil Regulations in order to conquer Hourai High. The real culprit working behind the scenes was Jom-Ra, who took advantage of of an ancient feud against Hourai in order to collect the mysterious resonator stones.

However, thanks to the help of all students, teachers, the Patrol Squad, the Musketeers and the Public Safety Committee, Hospo writer Leroy's efforts successfully put a stop to Subterra and crushed the evil organisation for good! (We couldn't have done it without you.)

And thus, Hourai High was saved, peace returned to Utsuho...and a new Hospo legend was born!

That's the end of Leroy's battle, but not the end of the game! Look forward to one last update!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That final boss reminds me of the final boss of Final Fantasy VI. I wonder how many other multi-part (and not multiple forms) bosses there are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. Poor old fool never realized the problem. When you believe in your own power, you can't envision nearly as much as you could if you believe in something that doesn't have to be real. Thanks, random cult members, for dispersing the power of that stone.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

But Black Dinomite, *I* sell drugs to the community!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 28 - School's out

BGM: School 1

: That's pretty rich coming from a nerd like you!
: Hey, Leroy still hasn't turned up yet.
: Oh yeah... I wonder what Leroy's doing...? ...Hey!
: Hey! Come on, hurry!

: Hee hee hee... I remember when Leroy fell right through the Assembly Hall roof. It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since then. Come on, let's go in.

: Since the start of the game, I've never had a chance to turn up, so I created this opportunity today. Er, anyway, allow me to turn over the stage to the principal for her end of year speech.

: ...the school was saved from peril and probable doom. I almost want to kiss them as a reward!
: I, too, have gained confidence in myself after this year's events. I want to work hard as your principal for another year.

: Now, each class will receive their results for this year. I've got, er, stuff to do now, so that's it for the ceremony. Bye!

The students shuffle out of the auditorium and back to their classrooms.

: Tamonabe! Watanabe!

: You've done a great job. Here's your report.

: To remind you of this fact, I've given your grades a little boost.

BGM: Opening/Ending

: That's when you partnered up with Daichi and the others to work on Hospo. Well, now's not the time to give my opinion on Hospo. I have to say that I was quite embarrassed when I heard that you'd been sneaking into the girls' dorm in June. Well, boys will be boys... Don't worry - I misunderstood at first, but then Isaac told me what had actually happened.
: Was it during the Star Festival that you ended up fighting Rachel? I think it's safe for me to say it now, but I really hated her guts. Did you see those clothes she always wore? And that lipstick! Ugh! She must have been so envious of yours truly.

: Then there was the time you saved this year's Miss Hourai, Akiko, from those fake Santas at Christmas time... Maybe it's just me, but I've caught her checking you out in class, Leroy. During the new year, you went to the Research Department, Mount Amatsu and that ancient factory in search of the Evil Regulations...
: ...and then to the Auditorium to crush the Subterra Society for good! I could hardly believe that Ayame had an evil twin. (I could hardly believe someone else could be so insufferable...) Looking back on it, it may seem like you had a really hard time this year. Still, with that said, it looks like you've made some truly special friends.

Lara has a few different comments, since her adventure wasn't exactly the same as Leroy's:

: I have to admit I was a bit... Well, I was gobsmacked when I'd heard you'd been sneaking into the boys' dorm. I know you are a Hourai student after all, but still... Fortunately, Julia was there to let me know what actually happened. Ah yes - not only was I surprised by your sneaking into the boys' dorm, but then there was Misato, the ghost you brought back! Everyone was creeped out by her just sitting through the lessons going "..." all the time.
: Then there was the time you saved this year's Mister Hourai, Yashichi, from those fake Santas at Christmas time... Some Patrol Squad soldier he is! Still, he does have a charming goofiness despite the cool image he tries to put on.

After getting our report card, it's time for one last meeting in the Hospo headquarters.

: Yeah... I mean, a lot of things did happen.
: What's everyone else doing now?

: Julia made it to the next year without any trouble. Isaac was supposed to graduate, but... He was so worried about Julia, he ended up deciding to stay here another year.

: Ms Adachi's going to be our homeroom teacher next year as well.

: I wonder if Misato finally managed to cross over to the other side?

: What about D-51?
: He's in my room. I've been working on fixing him up some more.

: Chihaya's graduating, right? I heard she was going to go and train in Europe...

: I heard the Great Leader's started his campaign to conquer Utsuho together with Starfish Ron.

: What are Yashichi and Akiko doing?
: They're using their holidays to go back home for a while.

: I hear the Professor's hermiting it up in the research centre now, working on a new thesis.
: Hmm... Sounds like the Professor.

: It looks like Cattus Maximus is living in the aboriginal village now.
: Cattus Maximus and Mitsurin are getting on really well together, and I don't think he'll have to worry about food there.
: Oh yeah, and I heard Mitsurin's going to be transferring here in April!
: Really? We've got to recruit him into Hospo as soon as he gets here.

: What about Kaname?
: She's much better now. She joined the school staff since they were impressed with her experience in running large organisations.
: She's also a convenient stand-in for the Principal whenever she wants to sneak out. The Principal was pretty happy about that part.

: Even Jom-Ra was surprised by it!
: The hatred of the Subterra Society must have activated the resonator stone, so that the evil god Nubbins... Pfft... Hahaha!
: Ha ha ha! "Nubbins"! Who came up with THAT stupid name?

: What happened to the resonator stone in the end?
: It must have broken.

We all head outside.

BGM: Some Mysteries Still Remain

This is probably my favorite song of the entire game and as such comes highly recommended. It's a gorgeous piano remix of the dungeon theme that only plays here and for only about 20 seconds.

BGM: Staff Roll

This tune, on the other hand, is goofy and fun. Talk about emotional whiplash.

The credits first show off the cast of characters from both the girl's and boy's side before moving into crediting the staff, all while the girls at the bottom dance around. If you want to check it out, then go ahead:

Credits

And that marks the end of our adventures at Hourai High. I want to give a big thanks to everybody who read and commented! Keep the spirit of Hourai in your heart, and don't be late for anime school!

• Locked thread