Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you can afford to live near Shoreditch, you can afford to never have affordable takeaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chicken Cottage?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

tentish klown posted:

I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

How cheap? Voodoo Ray's is pretty drat good and I think it's half price on Mondays. Or maybe that deal is only on in Dalston? I often have dance classes in that area and try and go to the Itsu half an hour before closing to pick things up at 50% off.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

tentish klown posted:

I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

If you're spending that amount on rent can I recommend....cooking?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

If you're spending that amount on rent can I recommend....cooking?

He's bought it I think

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

He's bought it I think

I wish.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone got recommendations near Bow/Mile End?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dotori has closed down :smith:

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Dotori has closed down :smith:

WHAT

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Walked passed it earlier today. Sign saying they'd decided to close it as they need a break and there are no plans to reopen in the future.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone got recommendations near Bow/Mile End?

There's an OK-ish burger restaurant called Greedy Cow. Apart from that there's some pretty nice pubs around Victoria Park.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Walked passed it earlier today. Sign saying they'd decided to close it as they need a break and there are no plans to reopen in the future.

Considering how popular it was they can probably retire now but drat, that sucks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Considering how popular it was they can probably retire now but drat, that sucks.

Yes saw this on stroudgreen.org. Apparently the older guy who runs I is unwell and has had enough. :(

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm so gutted we never managed to go. The one time I almost booked a table they didn't have enough room for the four people in the party.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, going to London in a short while and my companion and I are real fans of fine dining. Price is not really an issue and menus are always nice (we like to be surprised).

We'd like to go to several (exotic) restaurant options, but in a fine dining setting. Any cuisine is enjoyed by us (Asian, European, American, ... ).

I've surfed around a bit and it is very difficult to find the 'best X cuisine' in London. For example, for Indian cuisine, the gymkhana appears often but also is sometimes not mentioned at all.

Therefore, any particular recommendations or world-renowned places you guys know of?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good news on Dotori - this from their Facebook page:

Hello customers!
Dotori is due to open again for business fairly soon this year.
We will keep you posted along the way with an open date.
We would like to thank all our customers for your patience and support during this long break.
p.s. we are working out another option in order to deal with the high volume of calls during business hours and we will let you know here, our website and restaurant with the details before we open.
We hope to see you all again very soon ☺
Thank you always.
Dotori, 18.08.16

Kalenden posted:

So, going to London in a short while and my companion and I are real fans of fine dining. Price is not really an issue and menus are always nice (we like to be surprised).

We'd like to go to several (exotic) restaurant options, but in a fine dining setting. Any cuisine is enjoyed by us (Asian, European, American, ... ).

I've surfed around a bit and it is very difficult to find the 'best X cuisine' in London. For example, for Indian cuisine, the gymkhana appears often but also is sometimes not mentioned at all.

Therefore, any particular recommendations or world-renowned places you guys know of?

Cinnamon Club is apparently very good for Indian. I've only been to the casual sister Cinnamon Soho, which is good. What exactly do you mean by exotic?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Fine dining + Indian = Rasoi in my head.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

angor posted:

Sounds good, but their website is closed unfortunately. Why do you recommend them specifically? I always like to cite my sources ;)

Any and all suggestions are still welcome, there are so many choices.
Don't feel limited to Indian or exotic cuisine btw.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hakkasan in Hanway Place springs to mind for upscale Chinese.

Obligatory Hawksmoor for upscale steak suggestion.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Fine dining + Chinese would be places like Hakkasan. Their tasting menu is fantastic.

If you're actually looking for fine dining and money isn't an issue then it really is worth looking at the Michelin starred ones. I'd go for the Ledbury, personally.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
For Chinese Hakkasan, Yauatcha and HKK are good. They're all owned by the same group anyway!
Otherwise, as sweek0 said, check out the Michelin list.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If we're going Michelin, the Square is amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Le Chalet du Poulet on Holborn is very good and open late.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Tasting menu at The Ledbury is one of the single best meals I've ever had. Definitely the best 'fancy' meal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

Tasting menu at The Ledbury is one of the single best meals I've ever had. Definitely the best 'fancy' meal.

Ledbury is excellent but I fairly recently had an amazingly good meal at Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley. I haven't been there for a long time, but :'Autre Pied does really excellent food in a slightly more casual setting than its upscale sister, Pied A'Tierre.

Oh! Just thought of a good exotic-ish recommendation: Roka. Again, haven;t been for years but it was very very good.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions!

We are slowly zooming in -- Ledbury is on the list so far.

Would like two exotic options and thinking of Gymkhana for Indian (though is a 2 hour turnabout not rushed for the tasting menu?) and unsure about the Chinese option. Hakkasan was mentioned but they are present throughout the world so would rather avoid it. How is HKK and what do you guys think of Awong? http://awong.co.uk/

Both look incredible!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Kalenden posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are slowly zooming in -- Ledbury is on the list so far.

Would like two exotic options and thinking of Gymkhana for Indian (though is a 2 hour turnabout not rushed for the tasting menu?) and unsure about the Chinese option. Hakkasan was mentioned but they are present throughout the world so would rather avoid it. How is HKK and what do you guys think of Awong? http://awong.co.uk/

Both look incredible!

A Wong is very, very good. HKK is amazing though. HKK also do slightly more cocktails and dim sum (if that is your thing). However, A Wong is definitely London only since they used to be a takeaway.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A Wong is superb, worth going for lunch for the dim sum menu. I've never been in the evening but other posters have said it's just as good.

The food at HKK is incredible but the restaurant does have a pretty bland corporate feel to it.

Heston's Dinner is consistently brilliant.

Could look at somewhere like The Clove Club if you want a bit more of an east London/hipster type feel.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Not making it easier for the Chinese options!

Any other fine dining Chinese? Or are HKK and A Wong the best?

We might also go with another exotic cuisine, any recommendations knowing that we will do Indian, The Ledbury and Chinese already?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
There is Royal China which is more traditional. But really they are the best.

As for other exotic things, how about Japanese? There is Araki - the most expensive sushi restaurant in the world.

Also the less crazy priced Engawa. The company that run Engawa run the dining room at the Diet. I haven't eaten at Engawa itself, but if their food is at all similar you won't be disappointed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

angor posted:

Did Zaika close? It was the first Indian restaurant to get a Michelin star and was very good, although last time I was there it was 2001.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

tentish klown posted:

Everyone who made stupid replies to this, I can't believe it took me two weeks to come up with the correct answer.
Obviously the solution is salt beef bagels from Beigel Bake (on brick lane).

How did I not remember this place?

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Went to Rök in shoreditch the other day and it was really really good. Skipped the starters and had some pickles (quite sweet), two mains and two sides. The sides were probably the highlight (marrow mash especially), and definitely needed to accompany the mains. The wine was excellent and together for two people with deserts, which to be honest weren't fantastic, it came to £70 including service. We did go for only a glass of wine each as we were going out after.

Also they were out of two things on the menu, but had replaced them rather than just striking the options down which was cool and the replacements were delicious. Would totally recommend.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Hawksmoor was amazing. Went for a steak, not for roast.

Also ended up at one of the Dishoom locations for Indian food, which was pretty drat great.

Overall, went to London, had some good food.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd never had a good steak in the UK, only in the US because of their thicker cuts and whatnot. Then I went to Hawksmoor.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Oddly, the best steak I've had in recent memory was from The Lighterman in King's Cross. It's not a steak restaurant but the rib eye was even better than Hawksmoor.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I'd never had a good steak in the UK, only in the US because of their thicker cuts and whatnot. Then I went to Hawksmoor.

Also try Goodman's and Gaucho.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Steakandchips posted:

Also try Goodman's and Gaucho.

Goodman's is the best of all of these.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
London goons I need help!

Meeting some friends in London tonight. Doing drinks at Hawksmoor Seven Dials then dinner. We were planning on going to Native for dinner, but we're going to be 6-7 people and they only have room for 4 tonight. I live somewhere where culinary creativity barely exists, so I was looking for something interesting around that area for 6-7 people. Smoking Goat was on my radar but I'm vegetarian (the only one in our party) and that will have almost nothing for me. Was thinking maybe Dishoom but trying to stay away from Indian. Any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse

Check out Blacklock, they don't do reservations after 6pm so you're more likely to be able to just rock up and grab a table or have them take your number while you go for a drink nearby

edit: missed the vegetarian bit, don't go to Blacklock, they have no veggie main course options