Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm looking for a headphone recommendation. I'm a medical student, and our school posts all the lectures online, and I find that a better use of time than attending lectures, since you can stop/replay as well as manipulate the playback speed. I'm looking for a headphone with at least moderate isolation, that folds up and comes with, or has optionally available, a hard-case for transit. I take a lot of public transit and my backpack takes a lot of bumps and whatnot, so that's non-negotiable. I listen to music while reading occasionally, but am not ultra concerned about sound quality. That said I'm mostly listening to classical, jazz or ambient/post-rock, so I'd prefer a more neutral sound vs a hyped bass. I'll probably be getting the new MacPro launching some time next month, which doesn't have a headphone jack, so I guess it has to be Bluetooth. Budget could go up to $250-300 for a perfect solution but would prefer to spend less.

Apple has a BTS deal with a free set of wireless Beats right now if you're in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Krinkle posted:

I looked at a bunch of Sennheisers but then went on the advice of a guy I barely know to get audio technica M50x. Though he said M50s. They were horrifying. I've never seen such thin awful thin plastic that was 100% for sure going to break. I have no confidence in these headphones. And they claim to be closed but they don't reduce sound at all. These broken hyperx cloud II's, just putting them on my head block out more sound than the AT M50x's playing music. It's like they don't even try.

I returned them and my stomach is in knots. Goddamn I got buyers remorse on these.

The Sennheiser HD 598s look sturdier, though still plastic, but the answered questions on amazon seem to suggest that they do not even try to block out sound coming or going. If someone is on a phone call behind me are they going to pick up computer stuff played at a reasonable volume?

Are you sure you got M50x?

I really dislike them for a bunch of reasons but they're not flimsy, and unless they completely don't fit your ears or you're using velour pads they should isolate decently well. Could they have been a knockoff?

The M50 are definitely sturdier than 598s. I guess the question is, what do you want from a headphone? Do you need isolation and low leakage? Do you need them to be portable? What sources are you using? Check out the OP, there's a guide for how to post a request for recommendations. If you can answer some of those questions, we can likely make a good recommendation.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Krinkle posted:

I looked at a bunch of Sennheisers but then went on the advice of a guy I barely know to get audio technica M50x. Though he said M50s. They were horrifying. I've never seen such thin awful thin plastic that was 100% for sure going to break. I have no confidence in these headphones. And they claim to be closed but they don't reduce sound at all. These broken hyperx cloud II's, just putting them on my head block out more sound than the AT M50x's playing music. It's like they don't even try.

I returned them and my stomach is in knots. Goddamn I got buyers remorse on these.

Sounds like you got a fake headphone, tbh.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone was looking for some pretty decent workout BT headphones Costco has the plantronics backbeat fits on sale for $55. I've been using them for the past 2 hours to work out and I'm extremely happy with them for that price.

They aren't completely noise isolating which I thought might bother me at first but I like being able to hear something if needed.

If you have a Costco.com account you can order them there or take a shot at a price match at bestbuy. The bestbuy thing is a huge YMMV thing though since the version that they carry are "bestbuy exclusive" or some poo poo but they are the same ones. I got lucky and the manager did it for me.

Anyway that's my story thanks for reading.

I just got a pair of these after reading this and I think they're pretty good so far, I've not been to the gym with them yet but wearing them walking about the house (I'm disabled so I walk with crutches if that makes any difference) they are pretty comfortable though I'd of liked replaceable tips of some kids as one of them is just a bit on the big side, they are also a bit loose on the headband but not bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm looking for a headphone recommendation. I'm a medical student, and our school posts all the lectures online, and I find that a better use of time than attending lectures, since you can stop/replay as well as manipulate the playback speed. I'm looking for a headphone with at least moderate isolation, that folds up and comes with, or has optionally available, a hard-case for transit. I take a lot of public transit and my backpack takes a lot of bumps and whatnot, so that's non-negotiable. I listen to music while reading occasionally, but am not ultra concerned about sound quality. That said I'm mostly listening to classical, jazz or ambient/post-rock, so I'd prefer a more neutral sound vs a hyped bass. I'll probably be getting the new MacPro launching some time next month, which reportedly doesn't have a headphone jack, so I guess it has to be Bluetooth. Budget could go up to $250-300 for a perfect solution but would prefer to spend less.

Don't get wireless headphones just because of the no-port rumor. A: It's just a rumor, nobody knows anything until it gets announced or there's a real leak, and B: if it turns out to be true, there will be an explosion of cheap, decent USB-C amp/dacs. Bluetooth headphones have come a long way in sound quality, but they're still a pain in the rear end for a lot of other reasons.

If you still want wireless, in that price range I'd try the Sennheiser Momentum or Sony MDR1RBT. If you don't, you've got much better options for much less cash.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you still want wireless, in that price range I'd try the Sennheiser Momentum or Sony MDR1RBT. If you don't, you've got much better options for much less cash.

How's the not-wireless Momentum? It's not on the buying guide in the OP, but I'm hoping it's okay.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't get wireless headphones just because of the no-port rumor. A: It's just a rumor, nobody knows anything until it gets announced or there's a real leak, and B: if it turns out to be true, there will be an explosion of cheap, decent USB-C amp/dacs. Bluetooth headphones have come a long way in sound quality, but they're still a pain in the rear end for a lot of other reasons.

I would say that this is more than a rumor, I can remember hearing about this one in the past and it seems pretty clear that this is what Apple wants to pursue, just like they eliminated all the ports from their Macbooks and replaced them with USB-C. But yeah, when it happens there will inevitably be DAC/Amp units released because most people aren't going to want to shell out for a super expensive headset that sounds like garbage. They'll buy the "port adapter" once and use whatever headset they want.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Krinkle posted:

How's the not-wireless Momentum? It's not on the buying guide in the OP, but I'm hoping it's okay.

I have the IEMs and the On Ear headphones, both are heartily recommended.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I bought the KT AZEs. First I put on the hard plastic tips that were in the center (are you even supposed to use these?) and they sounded terrible. But now I have the softest/largest ones on and they sound pretty great.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Anime_Otaku posted:

I have the IEMs and the On Ear headphones, both are heartily recommended.

Well alright. These cables are short. I guess I need an extender from monoprice. I hope they last forever. Ears are a little uncomfortable but the metal headband hasn't acclimated to my big head yet. Good so far!

Ear pain getting worse over time. Trying to think. Tried the headphones all the way extended, tried them high and balanced on the top of my ears. Not feeling great either way.

It's metal at the top, right? underneath the leather? I'd feel like a huge shithead if I try to loosen that metal up and it snaps.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Why can I not find a single Bluetooth headphone that allows me to play audio from multiple sources simultaneously?

Is this a design choice? A technological limitation?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Why can I not find a single Bluetooth headphone that allows me to play audio from multiple sources simultaneously?

I gave up on Bluetooth audio some time ago; it seems to be nothing BUT technological limitations.

In the end I gave up on my quest earlier to find good wireless headphones and just bought Sennheiser HD558s. Screw buttons and batteries and scary radio waves going through the air for now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

That is such an extremely rare use case that I can't imagine any manufacturer would bother to include it.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

MarcusSA posted:

Mine came over the weekend and drat I really like them. I changed out the stock pads for some felt ones and I am in love. They are definitely a great buy.

Mine arrived yesterday, and yeah they sound great. I'm glad that I ordered some new pads though, cause they really do suck. They get incredibly sweaty in no time at all.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Hey headphone guys!

So I work at home, Love my "headset" for the most part, but I am finding that after 9 hours of use, The ear cups get a bit tight I guess is the word? Either way, Battery life is only around 8 hours of solid use, and I'm looking at upgrading.

Currently I'm using a Sony Wireless Gold for my PC use. It works great, Zero bullshit setting it up. While some of you guys may think it sounds like poo poo compared to some of the actual headphone stuff, Understand im basically "Happy" with the sound quality of it. I understand it could be better, I can totally tell a difference between this headset and some old phillips cans from the 70s. WITH ALL THAT IN MIND!

I'm about to pull the trigger on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

Anyone have any on hand Exp with a set? Theres a logitech in the similar price range that gets some praise but this so far, reviews are saying it does get a legit 14-20 hours of use on a single charge, and looks far more comfy than the logitechs.

Thoughts?
Headsets under 200 that are wireless and as nice?

Wireless is a huge deal to me. Being able to walk around while I work and having a decent range is super important.

Guess someone hold my hand and tell me It'll be ok?

Also is this the right thread for "gaming headset" questions? Couldnt find anything in games or anywhere else for fancy headset poo poo. Either way, Thanks in advance. :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Electronics idiot question: I have a headphone amp with only 3.5mm input. I also have an integrated amp with an RCA tape recorder output. Is it safe to use a 3.5mm->male RCA splitter to get the integrated amp output into the headphone amp?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

EbolaIvory posted:

Currently I'm using a Sony Wireless Gold for my PC use. It works great, Zero bullshit setting it up. While some of you guys may think it sounds like poo poo compared to some of the actual headphone stuff, Understand im basically "Happy" with the sound quality of it. I understand it could be better, I can totally tell a difference between this headset and some old phillips cans from the 70s. WITH ALL THAT IN MIND!

Also is this the right thread for "gaming headset" questions? Couldnt find anything in games or anywhere else for fancy headset poo poo. Either way, Thanks in advance. :)

Most people will tell you a "gaming headset" is poo poo. That said, my Astro a40s are the loving most comfy headset i've ever owned, and they're good at picking up footsteps in game. The hardware mixamp is where they really shine, though. I like being able to seperate game/voice volume.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deviant posted:

Most people will tell you a "gaming headset" is poo poo. That said, my Astro a40s are the loving most comfy headset i've ever owned, and they're good at picking up footsteps in game. The hardware mixamp is where they really shine, though. I like being able to seperate game/voice volume.

Does that DAC or AMP or whatever, Plug in USB? Looks like it by all counts, Just have to make sure due to works poo poo needing to be USB at a base level (Wireless for example, I think need a dongle, not just a bluetooth connection). Also are those wireless (Or do I have to go to the 50s)? Thats a deal breaker if it has to be plugged in. If its wireless hows the battery? Gotta be able to get through 9 hours with minimal charging. Like, a short lunch break charge at most.

Those look pretty rad actually. Shame they are a bit on the "high side" for prices. Though I'm sure I could find a sale or something. I do need to order semi soon.

Thanks for the recommend. Didnt even think to look at Astro, I always forget they exist.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 14, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

What's the opinion on buying "lightly used"? In this case, mid-tier open over-ear headphones, not IEMs or anything that could get all funky with earwax and sweat and whatnot. I'm pining for a pair of AKG K7XX, but they're a Massdrop collab that may never be for sale at retail again for all I know. I found a pair on eBay that claim to be lightly used and look as good as new in pictures, and common sense is telling me it's fine (since I've beat the hell out of my current headphones' drivers for the past 8 years and they still sound pretty solid) but I just wanted to make sure since it's eBay and all. I'd rather not gently caress over the seller by refunding (let alone eating the return shipping cost) if there's something wrong with them.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Fostex T50RP mk3

These seem pretty rad as well, and I dig the look, which does score extra points. They're in stock at the local Guitar Center, so I'll probably go demo them tomorrow and see if they're up my alley. I could devote the $50 or so I'd save over the used K7XX to replacement pads, too.

About semi-open -- I've never tried a pair; is it drastically different re: hearing outside of the cans? I want to say openness is important to me, as my primary use for headphones is playing rhythm games where tight timing is key, and being able to hear your fingers pressing the keys in time with the music is a plus. I'm kinda kidding myself, though, since I've typically got my volume up loud enough to the point of drowning out that feedback, even with fully open headphones.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 15, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Maybe not the place for this, but any ideas are appreciated. I have a headphone and a mic jack on the front of my pc. I have headphones with an in-line mic on them and there are separate 3mm plugs for each at the end after going into a Y-split. I want to keep my USB desktop mic in (I can always turn it off) as well as my speakers (without sound of course) and then just plug the headset in the front.

Problem is that my ASUS Realtek HD Audio Manager that opens when I plug something into the front doesn't let me select both. In fact I can't get the mic or headphones to work when plugged in separately using this split cable. They work if I get down and plug them in behind the pc but then I have to unplug the speakers too. With just a normal headphone cable, sound will work.

edit: I seemed to fix it by changing the Recording Device to 'Separate all input jacks as independent input devices'

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2016

evilcat
May 16, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

Anyone have any on hand Exp with a set? Theres a logitech in the similar price range that gets some praise but this so far, reviews are saying it does get a legit 14-20 hours of use on a single charge, and looks far more comfy than the logitechs.

Thoughts?

Wireless is a huge deal to me. Being able to walk around while I work and having a decent range is super important.

I wouldn't touch that mostly due to the Razer name, their products can be hit and miss enough. A Steelseries wireless or Astro gaming headset do a bit better in reviews than Razer at least. The logitech is also likely a good one, I had one of their cheaper headsets for a very long time, their products seem generally good.
My honest and personal recommendation would be to, if wired was acceptable would be to snag headphones you like and a modmic for better price:performance than most gaming headsets give.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

EbolaIvory posted:

Does that DAC or AMP or whatever, Plug in USB? Looks like it by all counts, Just have to make sure due to works poo poo needing to be USB at a base level (Wireless for example, I think need a dongle, not just a bluetooth connection). Also are those wireless (Or do I have to go to the 50s)? Thats a deal breaker if it has to be plugged in. If its wireless hows the battery? Gotta be able to get through 9 hours with minimal charging. Like, a short lunch break charge at most.

Those look pretty rad actually. Shame they are a bit on the "high side" for prices. Though I'm sure I could find a sale or something. I do need to order semi soon.

Thanks for the recommend. Didnt even think to look at Astro, I always forget they exist.

The A40s are wireless and use a usb hardware amp. The 50s are wireless but have a known issue with buzzing in the right side. Would not recommend.

yesacs
Dec 3, 2006

Come on man! If you don't eat, your handsome looks will deteriorate.

enojy posted:

What's the opinion on buying "lightly used"? In this case, mid-tier open over-ear headphones, not IEMs or anything that could get all funky with earwax and sweat and whatnot. I'm pining for a pair of AKG K7XX, but they're a Massdrop collab that may never be for sale at retail again for all I know. I found a pair on eBay that claim to be lightly used and look as good as new in pictures, and common sense is telling me it's fine (since I've beat the hell out of my current headphones' drivers for the past 8 years and they still sound pretty solid) but I just wanted to make sure since it's eBay and all. I'd rather not gently caress over the seller by refunding (let alone eating the return shipping cost) if there's something wrong with them.

The K7XX drops actually seem to happen quite regularly, I think there were two in last two months. In fact, another drop happened today.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

yesacs posted:

The K7XX drops actually seem to happen quite regularly, I think there were two in last two months. In fact, another drop happened today.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition

Son of a bitch! I literally just got back from picking up a pair of Fostex T50RP mk3's from Guitar Center after an impressive demo (thanks for the goon influence there, Dr. Fishopolis!) However, now that I'm home, I feel as if I'm ever-so-slightly underpowering them with my FiiO E10K (even though the math checks out based on impedance and sensitivity; I'm not super educated on this stuff, so I couldn't say for sure.) Fostex's 50-ohm, 92 dB/mW sensitivity vs. AKG's 62-ohm, 105 dB/mW sensitivity -- any opinion on which would be better driven by the E10K? The K7XX's would actually end up being cheaper, too, since I can already tell I'm going to want replacement ear pads for the T50RP's. Then again, the T50RP's are handling everything I'm currently throwing at it really, really nicely.

Based on the limited provided specs of the E10K (rated at 200mW @ 32 ohms, assuming ~110mW @ 50 ohms[T50RP mk3], ~80mW @ 62 ohms[K7XX]) and the chart near the top of the page here, the T50RP mk3 require about 75mW and the K7XX require only 3 or 4 mW based on their respective sensitivities, but again, the whole "K7XX are hard to drive" trend via googling them is throwing a wrench in all of these dumb numbers when only a few mW at 62 ohms are puportedly required to fully drive them to 110dB.

I think I'll probably end up returning these within the week grace period and give those K7XX's a shot based on my gut, even though I hear those too are harder to drive than the numbers suggest. If those don't work out, I can always sell them and head back to Guitar Center. This is my first time ordering something from Massdrop; are they already at their lowest price with the green bar already all the way to the right?

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 15, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The T50RP are definitely really loving hard to drive. I think a good rule of thumb is: if your amp is purely USB powered, it's probably not gonna cut it. The way I see it is that for most people they're amazing $250 headphones that come with a free amp. To elaborate:

T50RP Mk3: $160
Shure 1540 pads (non negotiable upgrade, the stock pads are hellish): $40
An SMSL SAP-VI to drive the things: $50

So the $160 price point is a little deceiving, but what you end up with is planars that sound better in my opinion than the oppo PM3 and compete with the Hifiman 400i, both of which cost $150 more than you'll spend on the whole package I just described.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

emdash posted:

Electronics idiot question: I have a headphone amp with only 3.5mm input. I also have an integrated amp with an RCA tape recorder output. Is it safe to use a 3.5mm->male RCA splitter to get the integrated amp output into the headphone amp?

Yes, they're both line level, so that'll work fine.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
So Re: Headphone amp/DAC chat. What would I get out of using one of those with my phone and recently purchased pair of Superlux HD668Bs?

I mean, they seem really expensive and all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

It's the right thread insofar as we're going to tell you not to buy one because they are all poo poo.

This is sort of unorthodox but here's what I'd do. Get these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Philips SHP9500. They sound amazing and cost $58 dollars. Importantly, they have a normal 3.5mm jack, so you can use whatever cable you want.

Now get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...+with+mic&psc=1

Plug that fucker right in. It sounds surprisingly good. Now you have amazing bluetooth headphones. It has a built in mic, so now it's a wireless headset too.

This, I promise, will sound better than any gaming headset ever made.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

-Anders posted:

So Re: Headphone amp/DAC chat. What would I get out of using one of those with my phone and recently purchased pair of Superlux HD668Bs?

I mean, they seem really expensive and all.

Not much unless your phone's headphone output is noticeably noisy or distorted, or if you have to max it out to get decent volume from your headphones. Those superlux are pretty easy to drive so I wouldn't bother unless you just like to be fancy and carry extra poo poo around.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's the right thread insofar as we're going to tell you not to buy one because they are all poo poo.

This is sort of unorthodox but here's what I'd do. Get these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Philips SHP9500. They sound amazing and cost $58 dollars. Importantly, they have a normal 3.5mm jack, so you can use whatever cable you want.

Now get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...+with+mic&psc=1

Plug that fucker right in. It sounds surprisingly good. Now you have amazing bluetooth headphones. It has a built in mic, so now it's a wireless headset too.

This, I promise, will sound better than any gaming headset ever made.

So I'm seeing lots of headphone jacks and no USB.

I have to use USB. This isn't optional. If the mic and headset are not combined USB as a single device my work software does not play with it.

9 of my use hours is work. Per day. So being USB it more important than marginal sound increases that I'm going to lose to Bluetooth compression anyways. I mean I get it. I'm not arguing that some wired combo with plugins isn't better sounding. But understand I'm moving this from multiple computers, and it needs to literally be plug and play. So multiple things to hook up and move around with chords bundled up to hook into Bluetooth things. Yeah can't do that.

Hopefully that don't come off crappy. Ultimately the gaming headphone space is the only place that seems to cater to what I need this moment. And that is the sub 200 option currently being reviewed pretty well minus some nit pick stuff. Was hoping someone had some hands on. Really it's getting ordered tonight either way. Just didn't know if anyone had a single solution similarly priced. Sub 200, new preferred due to how much I use it. Can't risk a crap battery ya know?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

So I'm seeing lots of headphone jacks and no USB.

I have to use USB. This isn't optional. If the mic and headset are not combined USB as a single device my work software does not play with it.

I'm confused.

Don't use the cable that comes with the headphones. Take the Mpow thing and plug it right into the jack at the bottom of the headphones. Now you have bluetooth headphones. No wires involved. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth, get a bluetooth dongle. If you need to move to another computer, pair it to another computer.

This is another thing that does what I'm describing: https://thebtunes.com/ except it costs $80 which is absurd.

Are you saying you need a non-bluetooth, but still USB wireless headset?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm confused.

Don't use the cable that comes with the headphones. Take the Mpow thing and plug it right into the jack at the bottom of the headphones. Now you have bluetooth headphones. No wires involved. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth, get a bluetooth dongle. If you need to move to another computer, pair it to another computer.

This is another thing that does what I'm describing: https://thebtunes.com/ except it costs $80 which is absurd.

Are you saying you need a non-bluetooth, but still USB wireless headset?

Basically yeah. Either the dongle I use has to be set to send voice and sound or has to be for the unit itself. Between telecom software, meeting software, and a bunch of other poo poo, it has to be a single USB connection for "both".

Bluetooth by itself is hit or miss. I have a couple "sets" that won't work or sync up with every system.

Kinda why I'm stuck in the "gaming headset" world.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

Basically yeah. Either the dongle I use has to be set to send voice and sound or has to be for the unit itself. Between telecom software, meeting software, and a bunch of other poo poo, it has to be a single USB connection for "both".

Bluetooth by itself is hit or miss. I have a couple "sets" that won't work or sync up with every system.

Kinda why I'm stuck in the "gaming headset" world.

Ah, I get ya. Wow, that's a very specific use case.

If wireless weren't a requirement, I would say just get one of these things: https://www.amazon.com/external-Ada...=usb+sound+card

and a vmoda Boompro or equivalent. But other than that, yeah I guess it's headset land. I don't think I've even seen ones with dedicated dongles, but I guess they must exist. Sorry!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ah, I get ya. Wow, that's a very specific use case.

If wireless weren't a requirement, I would say just get one of these things: https://www.amazon.com/external-Ada...=usb+sound+card

and a vmoda Boompro or equivalent. But other than that, yeah I guess it's headset land. I don't think I've even seen ones with dedicated dongles, but I guess they must exist. Sorry!

Yeah I know right?

Seems I'm basically looking at logitech or razer under 200 Astro if over.

I'll let you guys know how the razer is. gently caress it. Worst case I'll have Amazon return it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The T50RP are definitely really loving hard to drive. I think a good rule of thumb is: if your amp is purely USB powered, it's probably not gonna cut it. The way I see it is that for most people they're amazing $250 headphones that come with a free amp. To elaborate:

T50RP Mk3: $160
Shure 1540 pads (non negotiable upgrade, the stock pads are hellish): $40
An SMSL SAP-VI to drive the things: $50

So the $160 price point is a little deceiving, but what you end up with is planars that sound better in my opinion than the oppo PM3 and compete with the Hifiman 400i, both of which cost $150 more than you'll spend on the whole package I just described.

I looked up the SMSL SAP-VI. Please forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but vendors that sell it rate it at 200mW of power to 32 ohms. The FiiO E10K is rated the same, so would you say they're roughly equivalent in power delivery? (Barring the power deliveries to other ohm levels that the manufacturers don't reveal -- for all I know, the FiiO could drop severely above 32 ohm due to its USB power while the SMSL might keep the mW higher as ohms increase.)

They sound great to me, and the only indication I have that I'm underpowering them is the endless cave that is audiophile/headphone forums via google. Well, that, and the fact that I have to have the E10K on high gain at 50-60% volume to get them pretty drat loud and kicking. I'm alright with that, though, because there's no clipping, noise, or other unpleasantness. They're still loud down at like 30% volume, but they don't start punching until I get to 50%. Anything above 50-60% is painfully/damagingly loud.

In the end, if I were to definitively find out that I'm only powering them to 85-90% of their potential and would need to invest hundreds more into an amp and DAC to get 100%, I think I'm alright where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with them, because hell, I've already ordered the Shure pads so gently caress it!

Edit: I forgot to ask, how do you replace the pads? I'm sure it's just a matter of pulling, but I gave them a gentle tug and they didn't budge, and I don't want to break anything.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 16, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I know right?

Seems I'm basically looking at logitech or razer under 200 Astro if over.

I'll let you guys know how the razer is. gently caress it. Worst case I'll have Amazon return it.

The Sony PS4 Gold Wireless Headset is decent for your needs and I guess cheaper than the alternatives. It's $100 and build quality is kinda cheap, but what can you do. Having a headset with Playstation branded poo poo on it might be gaudy at work, but I guess it's on par with Razer and Astro?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Constellation I posted:

The Sony PS4 Gold Wireless Headset is decent for your needs and I guess cheaper than the alternatives. It's $100 and build quality is kinda cheap, but what can you do. Having a headset with Playstation branded poo poo on it might be gaudy at work, but I guess it's on par with Razer and Astro?

Funny story. That's what I'm replacing because i can't wear it beyond 8 hours and after 3 months of 40+ hours of use a day the ear pads are already flat and honestly they really need to be a bit better on range in my opinion. Plus the battery is starting to show death signs. I've lost an hour of use time already.

I really like them, and recommend them highly, and if I wasn't wearing them as much i wouldn't even have ordered the razer tonight.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

enojy posted:

They sound great to me, and the only indication I have that I'm underpowering them is the endless cave that is audiophile/headphone forums via google. Well, that, and the fact that I have to have the E10K on high gain at 50-60% volume to get them pretty drat loud and kicking. I'm alright with that, though, because there's no clipping, noise, or other unpleasantness. They're still loud down at like 30% volume, but they don't start punching until I get to 50%. Anything above 50-60% is painfully/damagingly loud.

In the end, if I were to definitively find out that I'm only powering them to 85-90% of their potential and would need to invest hundreds more into an amp and DAC to get 100%, I think I'm alright where I'm at. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with them, because hell, I've already ordered the Shure pads so gently caress it!

Edit: I forgot to ask, how do you replace the pads? I'm sure it's just a matter of pulling, but I gave them a gentle tug and they didn't budge, and I don't want to break anything.

Oh! Forget it, you're powering them just fine. That's better than my Monoprice dac/amp does, which sounds fantastic. Don't fall into the audiophile hole. If it's loud enough and sounds good, it's loud enough and sounds good.

Yeah, you just pull the pads off. It takes a little elbow grease. The old ones just wrapped around the cups, the Mk3 has a little flange slot that the pads fit into, just tug out one bit and you can slide the whole thing off. Getting new pads on takes a bit of stretching, just be careful and go slow.

The 1540 pads are like night and day for me, I think you're going to like them. It's like a soft, gentle hug for your head.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Well, strangely, the FiiO E10K plugged into my retina Macbook Pro was just enough to power the Fostex (albeit high gain and 50-60% volume,) but when connected to my Windows PC (where I'll be using the headphones virtually the entire time,) it wasn't cutting it. Had to max the volume knob out and it still wasn't loud enough, and clearly not as powered as they were when connected to the Macbook -- everything sounded much flatter. Windows sound was at 99% just as it was on the Macbook, so I've got no idea what the discrepancy is. I guess I'll just replace the FiiO with something that puts out more power, because I already love the way the headphones sound on the Macbook.

Edit: I think I solved the discrepancy; the games I play were defaulting to 75% of their own volume output!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Oh! Forget it, you're powering them just fine. That's better than my Monoprice dac/amp does, which sounds fantastic. Don't fall into the audiophile hole. If it's loud enough and sounds good, it's loud enough and sounds good.

Yeah, you just pull the pads off. It takes a little elbow grease. The old ones just wrapped around the cups, the Mk3 has a little flange slot that the pads fit into, just tug out one bit and you can slide the whole thing off. Getting new pads on takes a bit of stretching, just be careful and go slow.

The 1540 pads are like night and day for me, I think you're going to like them. It's like a soft, gentle hug for your head.

Thanks! I actually just went for the 840 pads; I didn't want to do anything drastic to the material/distance from ear to driver, and couldn't afford the 1540s because I am now broke. :lol:

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

enojy posted:

Thanks! I actually just went for the 840 pads; I didn't want to do anything drastic to the material/distance from ear to driver, and couldn't afford the 1540s because I am now broke. :lol:

The 840 pads are a huge step up, too. The 1540s look like they'll cause distance problems, but they're so squishy they actually compress down to about the same as the 840s. I actually think the 840s sound a tiny bit better, so enjoy!