Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's a combination of him being a bad teacher, but also a good coach. When someone is very stressed and trying to perform a complex task, helping them just focus on each step they need to complete is good practice. Less "you don't know to click on the icon" and more "you got this, just start with the first step".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

She had issues because she didn't use a change directory command initially. They probably didn't even teach her that you can kinda stumble through linux commands using tab for autocomplete.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

It's a testament to the show's ability to create tension that I didn't even realize that sequence was only 4 minutes long. It feels much longer than that.

OTOH the long pauses between statements between her and the FBI guy were really grating.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grinning Goblin posted:

She had issues because she didn't use a change directory command initially. They probably didn't even teach her that you can kinda stumble through linux commands using tab for autocomplete.

I had to chuckle at this little detail because it's one of the first things you have to become accustomed to when going from a GUI to a terminal. It was a well thought out detail.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Snak posted:

I think it's a combination of him being a bad teacher, but also a good coach. When someone is very stressed and trying to perform a complex task, helping them just focus on each step they need to complete is good practice. Less "you don't know to click on the icon" and more "you got this, just start with the first step".

Yep, it's like training your everyman how to computer; "Ok open this program, you've only clicked once you need to double click, now click in this box and type google, you almost got it but you typed goggle"

Also why does everyone have a boner for Kali Linux?
EDIT: Nevermind looks like it's built for pen testing, guess that makes sense.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2016

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

GutBomb posted:

...who brought their laptop along in a bag.

Also a UPS, lol

edit: I signed up on that whoismrrobot site that was linked a few pages ago. Today, they sent out an email linking to this:

https://www.whoismrrobot.com/endgame/

CloFan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 16, 2016

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

CloFan posted:

Also a UPS, lol

edit: Also, I signed up on that whoismrrobot site that was linked a few pages ago. Today, they sent out an email linking to this:

https://www.whoismrrobot.com/endgame/

drat those were fun. How'd you feel about it?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sorry, everyone on that train.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Super Slash posted:

Also why does everyone have a boner for Kali Linux?
EDIT: Nevermind looks like it's built for pen testing, guess that makes sense.

They hired a former FBI infosec agent as technical consultant, and gave him enough power to get part of S2E1 rewritten because the hack wasn't realistic enough.

quote:

As for the ransomware attack in the season two premiere, it represents the standard operating procedure for Mr. Robot's writers. All ideas start in the show's core writers' room (which met last fall for S2) and then consultants like McGregor come in later in the process. When McGregor met with staff in January, the framework of S2 episodes was already in place, and he could then plug in ideas to help increase the accuracy of show. "With this particular hack [what became the ransomware attack], everything was in place," McGregor said. "But when I had to come up with the tech screenshots, I realized it wasn't feasible." (McGregor wrote a bit more about the process on his Tanium blog.)

You read that correctly. In order for a hack to appear in the show, writers and consultant will attempt to execute it in real life. It's a big reason why screenshots of those lines of code inspire many a blog post. When McGregor's original white hat-testing failed, he then went back to Esmail and the writers, who empowered McGregor and head technical writer Kor Adana to come up with a more viable alternative.

“We wanted to do a big hack in episode one that affected E-Bank, and one of the ideas we came up with was to do ransomware—it's very topical and it affects businesses today," McGregor said. “So I got the opportunity to dust off my pen-testing skills from the FBI. I opened the Metasploit framework, did some customization, and what was shown [in the episode] was a bit of my own technical artwork for the show. That's pretty cool."
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/07/expect-mr-robots-take-on-the-fbi-to-be-very-real-thanks-to-a-former-employee/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Paradox Personified posted:

drat those were fun. How'd you feel about it?

I didn't get past the first level before leaving work :saddowns: Ended up poking through the code before figuring out the third chapter, whoops

There's some cool art in that, too:

https://www.whoismrrobot.com/endgame/assets/f1f7ecc876a2dc91c46734ac1157e9a3.png

https://www.whoismrrobot.com/endgame/assets/06d48e84ca96a97cbc549ee9277e381c.png

Also,

John Big Booty posted:

Sorry, everyone on that train.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
We're getting Season 3.

Even though the ratings are still modest, USA could not give less of a poo poo so long as the show keeps winning awards.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Spergatory posted:

We're getting Season 3.

Even though the ratings are still modest, USA could not give less of a poo poo so long as the show keeps winning awards.

I assume they're hoping for a sleeper hit, like Breaking Bad. I heard great things about it, but it's popularity didn't seem to explode until about season 4 or so (maybe 3).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Powers posted:

I assume they're hoping for a sleeper hit, like Breaking Bad. I heard great things about it, but it's popularity didn't seem to explode until about season 4 or so (maybe 3).

I think they're just happy to have a prestige show, period.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/ecorpmessaging/status/763069801799352320

Turns out the adverts that have been running for an E Corp Messenger is actually a Mr Robot mobile game that's out now on iOS and Android.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 17, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Was anyone else severely annoyed that the final command Angela was being given wasn't "now hit up, backspace, 1" and was instead "just type it all over again just to replace the last character."

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

It crossed my mind but it didn't cause my heart to beat faster or make me feel stressed or anything.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rocksicles posted:

All Angela's scenes are shot incredibly.

And her wardrobe has been absolutely :stwoon:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Someone please confirm, is the music used for this new To Catch a Predator series the same music used in the intro of Mr.Robot's first episode where Elliot busts the child predator? If so that would be so fitting.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Someone please confirm, is the music used for this new To Catch a Predator series the same music used in the intro of Mr.Robot's first episode where Elliot busts the child predator? If so that would be so fitting.

Yeah that's music from episode 1 season 1. Track 2 on volume 1 of the Mr. Robot score music.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
The game is pretty clever. I'm enjoying it.

They wiped my SD card!! I'm on an iPhone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Suits!

Spergatory posted:

We're getting Season 3.

Lol the show is sure slipping fast as it gets wackier! I hope they can finish it up in season 3 and keep it short and sweet.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 18, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yup he killed him!

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Tenzarin posted:

Yup he killed him!

I guess only two people are watching the show.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm watching too but I tend no to livepost unless something crazy happens. I think the majority of people here watch it through VOD

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I'm watching as well. Gonna need a GIF of that CSPAN footage.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress yeah Joey Badass

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ChiliMac posted:

I guess only two people are watching the show.

Yea it seemed like no one was today.

Dangerous Person posted:

gently caress yeah Joey Badass

I'm glad the threat was a bitcoin gang that failed to have someone posted as a look out and no one ever turned around while slash sounds were happening.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Was wondering when the other shoe would drop with Leon, and :stare:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Goddamn Leon! So White Rose has been looking out for Elliot?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I couldn't understand what he said to Elliot toward the end there. Something say Such and Such I did right.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I couldn't understand what he said to Elliot toward the end there. Something say Such and Such I did right.

White Rose.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Hollismason posted:

Told Elliot he was going to get a letter in a couple days and to do what it said. He said that when Elliot saw White Rose to tell him that he did good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have the biggest crush on Elliot's shrink :3:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
And here it comes...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
HERE IT COMES

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
OMG someone link those people who called this!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Oh hey the internet was sort of right

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They really let the prisoners run some crazy websites in the library!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Everyone knew it was coming but that was a really well-executed reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that is bizarre.

• Locked thread