Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
What pads are recommended for mostly street, some autocross, and light track duty? Or should I run two sets? For a B7 S4, not a light car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Run two sets of pads. Probably rotors, too. Also bring your street rotors to the track so that in case if you have an issue, you have backups.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Phone posted:

Run two sets of pads. Probably rotors, too. Also bring your street rotors to the track so that in case if you have an issue, you have backups.
Gotta pay the play, right? :shepspends:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I mean, you bought a B7 S4, there are clearly things that are significantly more expensive than a set of brakes. No sympathies here.

Or here:

On a more serious note, you buy fancy track only pads because you have 2 tons of German engineering barreling down the front and back straights. Everything works, it's great. Running those same pads on the street will either chew up your rotors or your pads (or both) because they're never able to get up to working temp. ~goodbye $275 front pads~

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do run ME22's always on my two summer cars, although one is track use only (drive there, and drive back) and the other I only drive 2-3 times a week, and to the track. When I had XP8s they also worked well on the street, but were extremely dusty and noisy. Both of my cars are under 2800lbs though...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The B7's bad rap was what enabled me to purchase it without completely obliterating my bank account. Mine doesn't burn oil, doesn't chain rattle, and has a carmax warranty on it (although not for much longer). Bought it at 36k miles and sits at just under 50 now. I'm not sure what could replace it for anywhere near the money. AWD, manual, and a V8 that sounds like satan being torn a new rear end in a top hat when you run it catless (guilty). Maybe I'd be better off autocrossing and tracking my miata to start, though.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

willroc7 posted:

Maybe I'd be better off autocrossing and tracking my miata to start, though.

To start? Yes. Many times yes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had any luck find Puma Speed Cats in a store where I could actually try them on? It seems like they're very difficult online, and nearly impossible at a retail store.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

um excuse me posted:

Has anyone had any luck find Puma Speed Cats in a store where I could actually try them on? It seems like they're very difficult online, and nearly impossible at a retail store.

This is going to sound dumb but check to see if your local outlets or whatever has a puma store. I saw them at the one near my place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

um excuse me posted:

Can't you just buy them at zappos? Free exchanges both ways.
Unless you're not murican, in which case, i'm sorry your country hasn't caught up to our ability to spend mass amounts on poo poo on the internet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I took the dumb Civic I bought last year to the Mosport DDT on the weekend. And holy hell is this brake bias fun. And this track is small enough that 120hp is not really an issue.

RaceChrono said this was my fastest lap. Not perfect. But it was my first time there. And I was busy instructing most of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEThL3x_pZ4

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

I took the dumb Civic I bought last year to the Mosport DDT on the weekend. And holy hell is this brake bias fun. And this track is small enough that 120hp is not really an issue.

RaceChrono said this was my fastest lap. Not perfect. But it was my first time there. And I was busy instructing most of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEThL3x_pZ4

The first turn is a real blast.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I'm running at Laguna Seca on 8/1 so come say hi if you're there! I'll be the blue Miata #33

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I'm running at Laguna Seca on 8/1 so come say hi if you're there! I'll be the blue Miata #33
There's a mustang meet up going on nearby right now, but it wasn't worth the drive from sac for me right now.

Have fun!

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Track day at Laguna Seca was a success! Fastest lap I managed to do was 2:02:42, which was better than my previous day by ~3 seconds. I think I'm losing lots of time after turn 5 going up the hill but had a blast regardless. Can't wait to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BMyexoXZg

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone ever order from demontweeks (or other UK sites)? Thanks to brexit the CAD->GBP is seriously favourable right now and I need some race gear. I got a quote for $1000CAD for an OMP First Evo, but the same suit is 309 pounds in the UK which works out to $540CAD. Even with shipping it's still a massive price difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Track day at Laguna Seca was a success! Fastest lap I managed to do was 2:02:42, which was better than my previous day by ~3 seconds. I think I'm losing lots of time after turn 5 going up the hill but had a blast regardless. Can't wait to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BMyexoXZg

Nice slow hands. :)

94 C package? M-Edition?

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
M-Edition. Currently running EBC Greenstuffs but I think I'd like to go to something more track specific. Carbotech XP8s all around perhaps?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'd be really tempted to just step up to PF11; it's not like they're that much more than Carbotech. Hawk DTC60 front, DTC30 rear has also been done by a lot of Spec Miata guys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have a set of track dedicated wheels, DTC-60s on all 4 corners.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Anyone ever order from demontweeks (or other UK sites)? Thanks to brexit the CAD->GBP is seriously favourable right now and I need some race gear. I got a quote for $1000CAD for an OMP First Evo, but the same suit is 309 pounds in the UK which works out to $540CAD. Even with shipping it's still a massive price difference.

I'm in the uk and Demontweeks is fine although a bit expensive. Might wanna check out http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/ which is normally cheaper than DT.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I do run ME22's always on my two summer cars, although one is track use only (drive there, and drive back) and the other I only drive 2-3 times a week, and to the track. When I had XP8s they also worked well on the street, but were extremely dusty and noisy. Both of my cars are under 2800lbs though...

I'd like to try the endless pads but annoyingly my front calipers only take pads made for wilwood dynalite, which limits the choice of pad I can use. I've still got my xp8s on at the moment out of lazyness, but I've driven the car about 4 times since the last trackday. Maybe i'll switch pads after the next one so I dont have to clean the wheels every time I drive the drat car.

I'll be doing another trackday at bedford on the 15th, hopefully this time there wont be a torrential downpour with sleet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

M-Edition. Currently running EBC Greenstuffs but I think I'd like to go to something more track specific. Carbotech XP8s all around perhaps?

Except for sounding like a school bus, XP-8s felt the same as stock pads on my Z4. I noticed a significant improvements with the XP-10s, though. Haven't tried any other pad yet.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What dashes are y'all using!!!
I don't wanna buy one that doesn't have awesome warnings and stuff and isn't visible in the sun etc etc. Minefield!
I have a FIA spec cage for the lsm3 on the way and I'm thinking I may as well just go the whole hog at this point tbh.

Anyone built their own splitter? That's my winter project to balance out the rear I've bought :mrgw:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

What dashes are y'all using!!!
I don't wanna buy one that doesn't have awesome warnings and stuff and isn't visible in the sun etc etc. Minefield!
I have a FIA spec cage for the lsm3 on the way and I'm thinking I may as well just go the whole hog at this point tbh.

Anyone built their own splitter? That's my winter project to balance out the rear I've bought :mrgw:

drat that looks great.

I've been looking into the Racepak IQ3 for my track M3 but haven't decided yet, also looking at android tablet options but they tend to be poo poo in the sun.

Aero talk I've heard alumalite works good for splitters and under body stuff. Doesn't take impacts great but is light and easy to work with. Not sure if I'll go full splitter but I'm going to enclose as much of the underside as I can for smoother air flow.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

track day bro! posted:

I'm in the uk and Demontweeks is fine although a bit expensive. Might wanna check out http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/ which is normally cheaper than DT.

Thanks, demontweeks looks to be the same prices for the gear I'm looking at and has a non-UPS option so I'll try them.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I knew speedventures with Fastivus would be a poo poo show. It always is when you got those festivals sharing the venue. Someone wrecking in every single run group, run groups getting held back a slot because of that.. but the PA wasn't working so lots didn't know, so run groups got mixed up, yadda yadda. Before I even got in some dick in a ricer with a maaaasssive intercooler pays the gate fee and just rips some elevens away from the gate person, the autocross people were standing there like what in the gently caress was that? Bailed so early.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey y'all I did a thing. Please help not spend ALL of my money on said thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAC674Um_Dc

Track days are on my list next.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I knew speedventures with Fastivus would be a poo poo show. It always is when you got those festivals sharing the venue. Someone wrecking in every single run group, run groups getting held back a slot because of that.. but the PA wasn't working so lots didn't know, so run groups got mixed up, yadda yadda. Before I even got in some dick in a ricer with a maaaasssive intercooler pays the gate fee and just rips some elevens away from the gate person, the autocross people were standing there like what in the gently caress was that? Bailed so early.

I only did auto-x with speedventures in fontana, but I was never impressed with them. Add a bunch of dubbers and well. . .

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KidDynamite posted:

Hey y'all I did a thing. Please help not spend ALL of my money on said thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAC674Um_Dc

Track days are on my list next.

Spend all of your money on said thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make sure you buy supplemental insurance for your track day

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Chump rented a DOT road sign for the 24 Hour @ VIR race this year:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

make sure you buy supplemental insurance for your track day

For sure. How much does that usually run?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Few hundred bucks with a 10% deductible usually.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

Chump rented a DOT road sign for the 24 Hour @ VIR race this year:

I know the E30 dash anywhere. Also, what does it say?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I 40
BLACK
FLAG

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BlackMK4 posted:

I know the E30 dash anywhere. Also, what does it say?

Apparently not since it's an E36. :P A repeating theme for the 24 hour race during the night has been "I didn't know that I was being black flagged", so Chisek decided to solve that problem this year.

e: might as well post the video here, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjugnu5pJk

I kind of started some poo poo with a somewhat notorious team on the forums. I indicated that I wasn't particularly impressed with Corvette on the track, and the owner immediately demanded an explanation. Turns out he was in the car when I saw him re-enter the track on VIR's back straight.

I don't know what's up with the audio, sorry!!

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 16, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuuuuuuck :lol:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
was that you driving? did he actually hit anything or was it just a spin?

i've raced in chump before but i'd be nervous as hell doing night racing with the kind of teams you see in chump

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That was me in the car.

He didn't hit anything; just pitched it in wrong. You can see @2:36 a little wiggle on a gentle bend on the previous lap where I caught up to him; the Corvette was super twitchy like that in almost every corner. They lopped off the fenders and hood and whatnot.

This 24 wasn't a bloodbath as it has been in previous years, Chump is definitely reeling it in. The lights were better on the car than the video leads on, but it's pitch black out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Race weekend, hooray. 1st in PTE out of 5. (2/5 aren't really in contention yet, and the other 2 retired)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtmVJDsX2ww

First few laps and lap 12 are interesting.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 24, 2016