Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Uhh I'll usually just put about 3 grams in a coffee mug, pour hot water and keep refilling once it gets halfway down. Add more tea when it starts to weaken, keep drinking till you're done. Not very complicated!

Ineffiable posted:

The real answer is you just dump a teaspoon of leaves in a mug and then use boiling water.

If tea is too weak, keep adding half a teaspoon until you have desired flavor.

thanks.

Ineffiable posted:

Grandpa style is basically hardcore gently caress the rules style, just asking for parameters goes against the entire spirit of it.

I was mainly asking just so I could avoid ending up with something incredibly nasty (like bitter and really overbrewed) if I were to try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If it's bitter, drain some water and add some fresh hot water. You should have drank half of it before it gets bitter and you can simply add more hot water.

Grandpas gives no fucks, you just keep adding hot water and they'll keep drinking.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's that time of year again...

https://www.teavivre.com/sale/anniversary-celebration.html

"Lucky is also your power"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Juaguocio posted:

It's that time of year again...

https://www.teavivre.com/sale/anniversary-celebration.html

"Lucky is also your power"

I have a love/hate relationship with this time every year. They have a lot of wonderful tea. Even going through customs, the delivery is really pretty fast. The Premium Long Jing is really very good. Their Tie Guan Yin is pretty green, and also pretty tasty. Sale starts August 2.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I am almost out of good tea but summertime is for drinking pitchers of garbage. I should try cold brewing some of their 2016 green sampler. The Bi Lo Chun was very good.
Be sure to grab the $3 credit for posting a TeaVivre bag on social media.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jhet posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with this time every year. They have a lot of wonderful tea. Even going through customs, the delivery is really pretty fast. The Premium Long Jing is really very good. Their Tie Guan Yin is pretty green, and also pretty tasty. Sale starts August 2.

Yeah the Premium Long Jing is outstanding for the price, especially when it's on sale. I like it better than a lot of early flush Long Jings that are 2-3x more expensive.

Teavivre has some really nice black teas too. Their selection of Keemun is very good, and I'm a big fan of the Wild Lapsang: http://www.teavivre.com/lapsang-souchong-wild-black-tea/

They seem to have quite a few new teas this year as well. I'll definitely be picking up some of the new batch of Da Hong Pao, as well as some of the organic greens.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Is anyone else having problems with the Lucky Draw? I was able to do it once the other day, but now when I try to hit start the button just changes to "exit" without spinning or selecting a prize.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Verant posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the Lucky Draw? I was able to do it once the other day, but now when I try to hit start the button just changes to "exit" without spinning or selecting a prize.
Switch to HTTP. HTTPS is broken

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh dear, I seem to have purchased 2 kilos of tea. Dang it Teavivre, why must you have so much nice stuff!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Just did my order.

Silver Jasmine Green Tea (Mo Li Yin Hao) for everyday drinking.
Smaller amount of Da Hong Pao for some premium drinking. Then 3 other Oolongs as samples, want to explore different flavors.

Also some Chrysanthemum as a sample because I want to know what it tastes like.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I picked up some of their raw pu'er minituos.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If anyone missed out on the Teavivre anniversary sale, their oolongs are 20% off right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For whatever reason, I decided to weigh my tea today instead of grandpa methoding it and now I remember why you're supposed to measure it.

It's either that or this Ceylon Black is really just resonating with my palate today.

Also, teavivre needs to have fewer sales, because I can't drink as much tea as I want to buy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know this post is from months ago, but I realized I hadn't read this thread in almost two years and got caught up tonight. The "drain" on the left side of your table is actually from a water cooler. It's the part the jugs sit on, with the protruding part inserting into the jug to drain water (see image 5 here). Hope that helps. :shobon: Sweet table, btw.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Oh, interesting. I guess that makes a lot of sense!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I bought about 2 oz of turkish tea and don't own a caydanlik . I really don't want to buy one. Can I just boil the tea leaves and drink it that way?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Seems like roughly the same process as brewing Russian style, where you make the tea in concentrate form and then dilute to taste with hot water afterwards, so yeah, go hog wild

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I'm looking to try out some Chinese black teas, particularly Yunnan. Any recommendation for a good starting off point?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I had a pretty excellent experience with Yunnan Gold Noir Rings from Aroma tea. It's malty and honey-tasting without being too overpowering or bitter, plus the leaves are rolled into little rings as the name suggests. The leaves naturally have a bit of yellow in them.

Here is a link to Aroma Tea Shop's page for it. You can also find similar prices at most other retailers.

This is for a quarter pound but I actually found I drank through mine super fast even with multiple resteeps. I was quite surprised by how much I liked it!

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 23, 2016

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Any suggestions on some loose leaf black teas I could use for Ice Tea? I know that's not a popular use for it around here, but sick of the bags.

Edit: nevermind found suggestions a few pages back.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 24, 2016

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
thyme taste good in a tea

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

djinndarc posted:

I'm looking to try out some Chinese black teas, particularly Yunnan. Any recommendation for a good starting off point?

I got a few Yunnan teas from the Teavivre sale. Haven't tried the Golden Tip yet, but the lesser "Full-leaf" grade is very nice this year: http://www.teavivre.com/premium-yunnan-black-tea/

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hey everybody!

It's been great to see this thread keep chugging along for nearly 5 years (!?). Since it's been a while, I'm looking to maybe update the OP and would love to know if you guys have any recommendations, or if there's anything else you'd like to see on there. I've noticed a few links to vendors seem to be dead now so I'll probably be removing some of them if I can't find a working link.

(I did just add Teavivre since I noticed it wasn't on.)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm a big fan of Murchie's. They only have retail locations in BC, but the prices in their online store are very reasonable, and they have frequent sales.

Murchie's single origin teas are hit and miss, but their blends are really nice. Their Irish and Scottish Breakfast are my favorites when I want a strong breakfast style tea, and their black/green blends are surprisingly good too, especially No. 22 and the Library Blend.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

It's been great to see this thread keep chugging along for nearly 5 years (!?). Since it's been a while, I'm looking to maybe update the OP and would love to know if you guys have any recommendations, or if there's anything else you'd like to see on there. I've noticed a few links to vendors seem to be dead now so I'll probably be removing some of them if I can't find a working link.

http://www.aromateashop.com - Typically what I get my tea from. Owner/operator sources the teas himself. I also bought my ridiculous tea table from the dude who runs the show here. He's on the younger side and helped some businesses out in the local area get started in much the same model as he did, offering unlimited free samples for different teas. Based in San Francisco.

http://www.imperialtea.com - Roy Fong's a legit teamaster and does his own roasting from time to time. Pricy, but the quality of leaf is good here too. They also do direct sourcing like Aroma, above. Based in San Francisco.

http://www.lifeinteacup.com - Good for Drago Well pre-orders. They also collaborate with some pottery type people to offer teawares.

http://www.yunomi.life/ - Direct sourcing from Japanese farmers and pottery folks (cups, pots, etc)

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ldllu?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 - eBay store, I never bought anything from here but I have window shopped for a long time. If anybody has bought from here, I'd love to hear about it, personally

http://jingteashop.com/ - mid and high grade teas, predominantly Chinese and Taiwanese in variety. I'd call it a website that you'd step up to if you want to expand your selection and try some newer more expensive stuff

http://www.itoen.com/ - Japanese major manufacturer of teas. They are responsible for the "Tea's Tea" brand of bottled ready to drink teas. In general, pretty good - if I had the choice between Snapple/Honest Tea/etc. and a bottle of Tea's Tea unsweetened, I'd go for that. Found most anywhere these days.

http://usa.lupicia.com/ - A Japanese company that has physical stores in only a few places in the US. Online ordering seems to work and they could best be described as a competitor to Teavana but more geared towards weeaboos. The actual leaf quality is pretty good from the last time I got something from them. Stores in Hawaii, Tokyo, San Francisco.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really like Taiwan tea crafts. Great selection if you're looking for Taiwanese stuff.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

I'll go ahead and recommend Friday Afternoon Tea. They primarily sell geeky-thing-themed blends that are really good and make pretty good gifts. They also sell single-origin teas, which I haven't tried.

As an example, there's Courtesan's Blend (I have a package labelled "Inara's Blend" that I bought from the woman who runs it when she was just getting things off the ground). There's also (non-trademark-infringing) Disney, Harry Potter, vampire, MLP, Doctor Who, and Pride & Prejudice themed ones, among others.

If you like supporting tiny, family-run businesses and/or geeky things, I highly recommend them.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I think I've finally hit an excellent sweet spot with jasmine green tea. Picked up a solid amount of Silver Jasmine Green Tea (Mo Li Yin Hao) from Teavivre. It's great stuff but almost too floral, I've been cutting it half and half with a much cheaper jasmine green from the local Asian grocery store, Wei-Chuan brand. It's also really nice for the price.

Has anyone tried the other one on Teavivre? In retrospect I probably should have ordered a sample. http://www.teavivre.com/mo-li-piao-xue-jasmine-green-tea/

I'm less interested in the fancy stuff like the pearls.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Currently, I make iced tea in bulk using these paper filter bag things, but they always open up midway through steeping and I end up having to filter all the leaves out. My wife mentioned wanting to get me one of these tea makers for my birthday. Does anyone know anything about them? Teavana has these in a gift pack with some sugar and a tea tin for $35, which seem OK given that that thing's $30 on it's own. However, I see reviews saying the seals leak. I found a similar one from Adagio that has much better reviews, but it's the same price as the Teavana one and listed as 28 oz instead of the 32 oz. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Or maybe a better recommendation?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Currently, I make iced tea in bulk using these paper filter bag things, but they always open up midway through steeping and I end up having to filter all the leaves out. My wife mentioned wanting to get me one of these tea makers for my birthday. Does anyone know anything about them? Teavana has these in a gift pack with some sugar and a tea tin for $35, which seem OK given that that thing's $30 on it's own. However, I see reviews saying the seals leak. I found a similar one from Adagio that has much better reviews, but it's the same price as the Teavana one and listed as 28 oz instead of the 32 oz. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Or maybe a better recommendation?

Can't you just tie the paper bags shut with cooking string? It works for me.

I have the Adagio one and it's very nice. It's easy to clean and everything comes apart easily enough where I wasn't concerned about breaking things. I'd go with the Adagio one just for that reason. I've never had it leak on me, and I pull it apart frequently after using it. So long as you keep the rubber gasket happy, it won't leak. I would have thought you could find replacement gaskets, but I can't find them on Adagio's website. I've had mine for a couple years and it's still great after regular use.

I avoid teavana like it's carrying the plague because of all their excess baggage in claiming health benefits, blending so much of their tea, and selling what I've found to be inferior product. That teapot might be fine, but I'd rather go with Adagio anyway.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks, that's good advice. I don't put any stock at all in Teavana as a company, but hey, a sale's a sale. I'll take another look at the Adagio one and think it over.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

World Tea House is a vendor operating out of Nova Scotia, Canada. They only have retail locations in Halifax, but they ship at a flat rate to Canada and the States, which could cost you more or less money than other places depending on how much and what you buy. They don't currently ship elsewhere, sadly.

Prices are neither amazingly high nor amazingly low, but the tea is always high quality and fair trade, and the blends are very well crafted. They sell some great oolong and their cream of Earl Grey is one of the best I've ever had. They also carry things like Vietnamese lotus tea, which are harder to come by in Canada at least.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks, that's good advice. I don't put any stock at all in Teavana as a company, but hey, a sale's a sale. I'll take another look at the Adagio one and think it over.

Gravity steepers all operate with the same concept, and they more or less have the same build quality I think. My adagio one leaked a few drops after dispensing fwiw, but it still makes them pretty excellent cold brewing devices.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

neogeo0823 posted:

They'll both be about the same (I have a smaller version of the Teavana one, bought because of work discounts). For what it's worth, I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's still really good and rarely leaks; I brewed a batch of cold-brewed genmaicha in it last summer and it worked nicely. :) I hope it works for you either way!

Speaking of Teavana, since we sell their products I'm kind of in love with iced Youthberry. I should really see if I can make up something similar through Adagio's blending setup because it's so good with lemonade.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, probably my favorite Teavana tea is the Blueberry Lemonade mix they make with Blueberry Bliss and... I think Pineapple Kona Pop? I don't shop them for "actual" teas, but their fruit teas can be really good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah their fruit teas are just fine and they have some flavors I haven't seen on other websites.

Their tea ware aside from the cast iron stuff is a reasonable retail price as well.

For teavana, avoid actual tea, and the cast iron tea ware. Everything else is fine, from fruit tisanes to cups to tea tins.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

Taiwan Sourcing, Yunnan Sourcing, Crimson Lotus tea and White2tea should deffo be added on there.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Silk road is having a end of summer sale: https://www.silkroadteas.com/summer-warehouse-sale/. I bought a bunch of fancy greens and that dan cong.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh man, Teavivre's 2016 Da Hong Pao is oustanding. Rich, buttery, and robust enough to handle higher temperatures and multiple steeps. I'll be getting more if it's still around during their next sale.

Their Liu An Gua Pian is also superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wasn't terribly impressed with their DHP from a few years back. It was waaaay too roasted compared to others I've had.