Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Arabian Prince posted:

So has CIG even thought
....yeah, that's where that sentence stops, don't you think? ;)

Although the sad fact is that they probably do have people working there who have thought it through, but none of them are in any position to make meaningful decisions about what the game should be like, and anyway, the game itself is nowhere near being functional enough to support any meaningful decisions in the unlikely scenario where one of them got to make some. It's probably easier to keep your head down all day and find a door you could fix in the next patch or make a space-hat or whatever. Safer, too. Maybe if you do the task assigned to you without offering your unsolicited and unwanted "thoughts," you can get someone to write you a nice letter of recommendation when you suddenly find yourself having to move to another city and find another job at another company for personal reasons nothing to do with job satisfaction seriously just tell management they should keep doing what they're doing best place to work ever YAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

D1E posted:

GAMESCOM 2016 - CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES - STAR CITIZEN PRESENTATION WITH CHRIS ROBERTS

"We invite you to join the presentation as it’s broadcast LIVE on twitch.tv/starcitizen FRIDAY 8/19 at 9pm CEST / 12pm PDT / 7pm UTC"

Please post this at least once per page thread friends. It would be great to have ALL THE GOONS in attendance live on Twitch to celebrate the latest news together!

*I call dibs on username DIGITALLY GRAPED

Dibs on NONCONSETED FINGERS

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trilobite posted:

....yeah, that's where that sentence stops, don't you think? ;)

Although the sad fact is that they probably do have people working there who have thought it through, but none of them are in any position to make meaningful decisions about what the game should be like, and anyway, the game itself is nowhere near being functional enough to support any meaningful decisions in the unlikely scenario where one of them got to make some. It's probably easier to keep your head down all day and find a door you could fix in the next patch or make a space-hat or whatever. Safer, too. Maybe if you do the task assigned to you without offering your unsolicited and unwanted "thoughts," you can get someone to write you a nice letter of recommendation when you suddenly find yourself having to move to another city and find another job at another company for personal reasons nothing to do with job satisfaction seriously just tell management they should keep doing what they're doing best place to work ever YAY

Some of the reformed backers responded to one of my posts recently echoing this.

"Has CIG thought about how LTI will even actually work"

The answer is that they said at one point what LTI would be and over the years have contradicted, changed, half referenced it so much that it's obvious they have zero actual plan, no documentation, nothing in the works. Chris Roberts decides everything and he is busy with his movie shoot.

Backers will answer this with "Of course" and then lightly reference the original definition CIG laid out then throw in 3,000 words of complete conjecture.

They have described mining a dozen different times in a dozen different ways. Nobody knows which version is the actual truth, what stage of work is complete on it, when it would even be in the game and the only way you can keep justifying all of this bullshit is if you are deluded enough to cherry pick 1/10th of the information CIG has given that you like and then pretend that's what you will get. The only reason to do that is to prove that you are right about Star Citizen not being a scam though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Marching Powder posted:

someone posted a question by a citizen on the rsi forums that asked basically 'if we have 1million citizens and 9 million active npcs alll trying to dominate control for wealth in 100 systems, how the gently caress will that work' and the official response was 'i have no loving idea'. that should give you some insight into how much cig has thought about anything chris has promised. also if anyone wants to repost what i'm talking about that'd be cool.

What? No,
  1. The 9:1 NPC-to-PC ratio is relevant when discussing griefing or the viability of niche spergtastic career choices
  2. When discussing whether that might lead to too high player density or the consequent performance penalty, that problem's solved by instancing
  3. If you're worried the instancing will lead to small battles with paltry client counts, that's solved by nesting the instances so they're computationally separate while being fully integrated into a bigger world
  4. If you, by contrast, worry that you have no friends so your ship will fly with crew=you, then [goto 1]

This might hurt your brain at first but after a wihle it's start to amke p. sense o7

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What's wrong with your avatar? :colbert:

nah just kidding you it's had a good run

Variety is the spice of life.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/twerk17/v/83547289?t=4h51m43s

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That makes me think boarding will be incredibly fun and in no way encourage camping.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Why does no-one die when they're shooting each other?
Why do the shots come from his shoulder rather than his gun?
Why does he have a developer console in an MMO?
Why do none of the walls or doors work?
Why does the ship look like an undecorated Doom 3 map?
Why does he steer with his rifle?
Why does he celebrate when his ship steers right into a rock?

Never mind the magical ammo, the incompetent cockpit design, and the regular set of bugs. None of this makes any sense.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

Why does no-one die when they're shooting each other?
Why do the shots come from his shoulder rather than his gun?
Why does he have a developer console in an MMO?
Why do none of the walls or doors work?
Why does the ship look like an undecorated Doom 3 map?
Why does he steer with his rifle?
Why does he celebrate when his ship steers right into a rock?

Never mind the magical ammo, the incompetent cockpit design, and the regular set of bugs. None of this makes any sense.
-they do, guns might be kind of weak i guess?
-jank
-was it a dev console or just console?
-jank
-CIG
-CIG
-because his hijacker bit it and it was kinda funny and not what he expected, but what he was hoping for; honestly, this is the first time the game has ever seemed kinda fun, though it reminded me of Alpha Prime

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ok, maybe it wasn't a dev console, but what's the difference?
You generally want to keep that stuff out of players hands in these kinds of games. Sure, it's probably just the regular Cryengine console that they haven't disabled, but again, why?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chalks posted:

Is the paywall up atm for this board? I thought it was, which means if wtf is actually reading this himself he already has an account (??)

the paywall is down

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I wish I knew how to make videogames because I have some fantastic ideas for storylines.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Hello WTFOsaurus :wave:

You are a salty butthurt snowflake and your red hair is poo poo

please don't digitally rape me :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

I wish I knew how to make videogames because I have some fantastic ideas for storylines.

You're just going to rip off CIG, aren't you?
Not SC or SQ42 — CIG itself.

Tbh, I wouldn't recommend it. No-one would believe such an utterly nonsensical and ridiculous story.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If chris really is skipping it I wonder if they're worried about hecklers.

I would like to see chris respond to some hecklers.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

hakimashou posted:

If chris really is skipping it I wonder if they're worried about hecklers.

I would like to see chris respond to some hecklers.

"Erm... I find it... uh... really ANNOYING when... you... uh... do THAT. Do... uh... do you know who I AM? Uh... I'm Chris... erm... ROBERTS!"

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Now this is where I stop getting it:

Unless Chris is immensly loving dumb and naive, or is a literal comic book vilain, this clusterfuck has to be a waking nightmare right?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Chris is immensly loving dumb and naive

bazingo

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

TheAgent posted:

ummm no chris at gamescom

I don't think they'd gently caress with their German cash cow like that but there's supposedly prerecorded video of him

this has to be all lies at this point, pretty sure the people I've talked to are just trolling me

guess we will see in a few days

I think you're the target of a psyop and they're feeding sources different info to root out the leak. Normally, I would think this is absolutely stupid if this was used out side of military uses; however, we are talking about RSI and I wouldn't put it past them to waste their time like this.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

his nibs posted:

Hello WTFOsaurus :wave:

You are a salty butthurt snowflake and your red hair is poo poo

please don't digitally rape me :ohdear:

Quoted and archived so the courts will give you what you deserve for harassment

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Which, according to law* is death.

*Reddit-law. Only applicable in countries with no common sense, no age of consent and a constitutional right to get financially dominated

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wuxi posted:

A subscription to the Nobel Peace Prize?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

Sorry you all missed the video, this is the best I can do.

Whoever these guys are, I like you.

Hahaha holy poo poo. Has anyone bought Wtfo an account yet? Wtfo come talk to us about space games that are good. We can also talk about shooters that are good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tarkaroshe posted:

PMSL. I can't believe anyone is that stupid to throw a reputation they think they've built up for decades down the toilet just for money.
I think it's more subtle than that. I think that perhaps CIG know the trolls better than they know themselves.
Like using reverse psychology on a child, and knowing what to say (or not as the case may be) to trigger a desired response.

Yeah buddy, that's what's happening. CIG is manipulating Derek into lashing out because as we all know every game developer wants to have huge amounts of drama and controversy surrounding their project. :laffo:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Did they ever add the race mode that they showed off at last gamescom?

no wait. 2 years ago.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Wuxi posted:

it's true, I need a good tickling refactoring punishing so I learn my lesson

anyone?

his nibs fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 16, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Did they ever add the race mode that they showed off at last gamescom?

no wait. 2 years ago.

Yes. It's buggy enough that people have used it to “prove” that planetary landings are already in the game by clipping through the racetrack walls with their ships and flying around in the surrounding planet environment.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
guys imagine if chris roberts knew a single thing about games or film or management or speaking

like a single shred of competence

lol

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tippis posted:

Yes. It's buggy enough that people have used it to “prove” that planetary landings are already in the game by clipping through the racetrack walls with their ships and flying around in the surrounding planet environment.

Which, let me guess, is just a barren wasteland with a skybox?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSEq0N9d2A&t=38s

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wuxi posted:

Which, let me guess, is just a barren wasteland with a skybox?

It's decorated well enough that, at a distance, you can make it seem like you're flying over an actual planetary surface as long as you pick a good angle for the screen shot.

The strategy generally follows this pattern:

Sceptic: There's nothing to suggest that they'll ever be able to make planetary flight work.
Shill: Silly person! You can do that right now! Look here <flurry of images of a ship in atmo that can't be found on google>
Sceptic: …but that's not in the game.
Shill: Silly person! Yes it is! Here, have more <flurry of new images>
Sceptic: Riiiight… could you post a video of you flying from space down to that planet?

Sceptic: Hello?
Third party: Those are just images from the race map, where you've escaped the track.
Shill: Haha, you guys are sooo stupid and silly. You should have known that it's just from the race map where I've escaped from the track.
Third party: You mean, just like I said?
Shill: Haha, you guys know nothing about the game and shouldn't talk about it, you stup<banned>

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Is there a limit to the number of simultaneous viewers on a twitch stream? (serious question as I have rarely used twitch)

I would love for there to be like 1500 goons in the twitch stream for Friday's Gamescom presentation. I honestly cannot imagine what the chat would be like.

Oh, and like 37 hardcore Shitizens.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
:effort:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5dVLk1-0HQ&t=38s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRXGxUpaIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP92EGXelco&t=31s

AP fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 16, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D1E posted:

Is there a limit to the number of simultaneous viewers on a twitch stream? (serious question as I have rarely used twitch)

I would love for there to be like 1500 goons in the twitch stream for Friday's Gamescom presentation. I honestly cannot imagine what the chat would be like.

Large events on twitch regularly have upwards of 100,000 viewers so I think you'll be fine with 1500. Although I'd be astonished if you could find that many goons who give a poo poo enough to turn up :D

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So are they going to have a free week for gamescom? I'm eager to return to the world of Star Citizen

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you go on Steam and look at No Man Sky's most replied negative reviews there is a Star Citizen there shilling the game with a copy+pasted comment in every one lol.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D1E posted:

u dum

there are like 3 times more shitizens than goons

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Maybe it's fursuit dress up night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Decrepus posted:

If you go on Steam and look at No Man Sky's most replied negative reviews there is a Star Citizen there shilling the game with a copy+pasted comment in every one lol.

they did the same to elite for a while

funny seeing a negative review of elite with 200 hours played.

• Locked thread