Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Dead Space 2 had the craziest death scene I've ever seen, and it's from an enemy that only appears a couple of times and would rarely kill you. This Thing-like upside-down skull spider jumps on your shoulders, pries your head off, and then interfaces its weird tentacle with your spine and inserts its crazy skull onto your body and puppets your corpse. Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dead Space 2 had the craziest death scene I've ever seen, and it's from an enemy that only appears a couple of times and would rarely kill you. This Thing-like upside-down skull spider jumps on your shoulders, pries your head off, and then interfaces its weird tentacle with your spine and inserts its crazy skull onto your body and puppets your corpse. Brutal.

I thought that was the first one. The only death scene I remember from 2 is the eye laser death scene

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Maybe, they kinda blur together for me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I thought that was the first one. The only death scene I remember from 2 is the eye laser death scene

Is that the end section where it's specifically designed to make you squirm?

Cause having to slowly insert a long needle into his eye was hosed up and worse if you messed it up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was a cool sequence until I hosed it up for the sixth time in a row because his eye randomly flickered at the wrong time, then it was just tedious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The deadspace "drag you down a corridor and into a tentacle mouth" death is the worst one, I think. Mostly because of that brief moment when Isaac almost manages to get out.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Tomb raider had a ton of brutal death cuts ends, but they were mostly from environmental deaths.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Tomb raider had a ton of brutal death cuts ends, but they were mostly from environmental deaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1a1uNknCc

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I always laughed at the failed qte death scenes in legend, anniversary, and underworld

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Bad fake. The ones in the game dragged on for way longer.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It's weird how the grisly deaths in Resident Evil and Dead Space feel way less skeevy and exploitative than those in Tomb Raider 2013.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I played RE3 for the first time around 2002? 2004? something like that. I'd somehow played every RE up to that point but that one, especially loving RE2. RE3 really blew me away. I was totally immersed in this PS1 game, and the only other game to do that for me was Silent Hill. Do you really only fight Nemesis 7 times? I felt like I encountered him dozens of times.

You can actually encounter Nemesis much more than 7 times, and if you run instead of fight he'll hound you through much of the game, which is awesome. Another way to put it is that there are only 7 unique windows of time that killing him will give you a drop. When I set out to get the drops I set the encounters this way:

1. The RPD courtyard.
2.When he jumps through the RPD window. You can lure him to the Branagh room and exploit a glitch and kill him easily with the knife.
3. Fry him with the restaurant explosion. He'll get up when you leave but killing him again won't get you anything else here.
4. I'm going from memory, and these next two are fuzzy. I think this is when you come back from the Sales Office, when he breaks the fire hydrant.
5. Just before you you bring all the items to the cable car (I think). Or maybe it's outside the power station.
6. Electrocute him on the Clock Tower balcony.
7. In the Clock Tower ballroom, after Jill is cured. You can drop Nemmy as Carlos but this doesn't get you anything.

You only encounter him in actual boss fights after this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe, they kinda blur together for me.

You were right it was from Dead Space 2 . That game was great.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NESguerilla posted:

You were right it was from Dead Space 2 . That game was great.

Huh, I thought it was from the first one. Then again, those 'splitter' necromorphs showed up in both, so maybe it was in 1 and 2.

On the topic of where you could fight Nemesis, I thought it was cool how if you did things in different orders, it'd mix up the storyline a little bit (or at least the dialogue). Like, if you went to the newspaper office before the diner, little things would be different, or which Nemesis option you took seemed to affect where he shows up later. I seem to remember some choice resulting in Jill suddenly being surrounded by four zombies before Nemesis rocket launchers them, which didn't happen every playthrough; or Carlos first showing up in a slightly different location.

Who knows how accurate my memory of it is, but one I remember for sure is based on what route you take as Carlos, there's a room in the hospital where you either find your zombifying friend Murphy and mercy kill him, or you find Nicholai gunning down a UCBS guy, who then pulls out a grenade to try and take him down with him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which results in Nikolai taking a header out of like a six story window. Being Nikolai, he's fine.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

gently caress Nikolai. He gets a tentacle to the face every time I play

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's weird how the grisly deaths in Resident Evil and Dead Space feel way less skeevy and exploitative than those in Tomb Raider 2013.

Yea cause its just men dying and LOL who cares about men dying horrible grisly deaths, but a woman? Yea that's awful and terrible and clearly shows that the developers where jerking off to it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress Nikolai. He gets a tentacle to the face every time I play
I shoot him down instead. Just feels so much more satisfying. That and because I always go for the "Barry Ending".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Alteisen posted:

Yea cause its just men dying and LOL who cares about men dying horrible grisly deaths, but a woman? Yea that's awful and terrible and clearly shows that the developers where jerking off to it.

Weren't there like a shitload of "accidental" deaths in the original Tomb Raider? Also I think the skeevy nature of the opposing forces in the remake and Rise made me wanna not play them. Or at least in 2013.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

widespread posted:

Weren't there like a shitload of "accidental" deaths in the original Tomb Raider? Also I think the skeevy nature of the opposing forces in the remake and Rise made me wanna not play them. Or at least in 2013.

Rise is a lot more... standard I guess? in tone than the 2013 game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

widespread posted:

Skeevy nature? The villains in the reboot and Rise are fairly standard. It was Square-Enix's godawful marketing that made them look skeevy. The villains in the 2013 game are just some crazed cultists trapped on the island with Lara and trying to appease supernatural forces while the main villains in Rise are a mercenary army of a secret society hunting down a MacGuffin for nefarious purposes.

You also can't really blame the game for weirdos who get off to videos of video game characters dying either.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Skeevy nature? The villains in the reboot and Rise are fairly standard. It was Square-Enix's godawful marketing that made them look skeevy. The villains in the 2013 game are just some crazed cultists trapped on the island with Lara and trying to appease supernatural forces while the main villains in Rise are a mercenary army of a secret society hunting down a MacGuffin for nefarious purposes.

You also can't really blame the game for weirdos who get off to videos of video game characters dying either.

Oh, okay. When ya put it like that, it sounds a lot better. Guess I'll go play them two now. Or just consider them at least when buying/playing a game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

About as accidental as getting your head chopped off by a chainsaw.

I mean I don't understand where you're coming from, going down a pretty nasty current probably has its risks as does parachuting from somewhere or attempting to escape crazed cultists.

I don't get where the skeevy thing comes from, is it because she's a woman? Would you be fine if it was Nathan Drake getting impaled through the neck?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I mean I don't understand where you're coming from, going down a pretty nasty current probably has its risks as does parachuting from somewhere or attempting to escape crazed cultists.

I don't get where the skeevy thing comes from, is it because she's a woman? Would you be fine if it was Nathan Drake getting impaled through the neck?

You'll notice that Nathan Drake doesn't get those kinds of deaths. Most of his deaths are not graphic. The early game tomb raider was full of those kinds of deaths. Resident evil has been a series full of graphic deaths, from plants eating your head to a guy getting split open by a monster.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not to mention the developers of Tomb Raider stating that they wanted the player to empathize with and want to protect Laura. Which is something you'd never hear Naughty Dog say about Nathan Drake or Joel for example. So the gruesome deaths and all the horrible ways she gets hurt throughout that whole game paints it more in a skeevy light.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

By "accidental", I mean "the player is curious enough to see what happens when they go down a path they didn't choose or won't choose under normal circumstances".

And by skeevy, well, see post above. poo poo had the potential to play out like a Lifetime movie for all I know, which was the aforementioned garbage-tier marketing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shut up about Tomb Raider and stop overusing the word "skeevy" and watch the new RE7 "gameplay" trailer instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

Game comes out on January 24th, 2017. Villain in the tape is apparently Marguerite Baker. More details here.

Still not really feeling this myself. It doesn't really feel like I'm watching any gameplay, and there still doesn't seem to be any combat present.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Shut up about Tomb Raider and stop overusing the word "skeevy" and watch the new RE7 "gameplay" trailer instead.

Game comes out on January 24th, 2017. Villain in the tape is apparently Marguerite Baker. More details here.

Still not really feeling this myself. It doesn't really feel like I'm watching any gameplay, and there still doesn't seem to be any combat present.

There a reason why Marguerite Baker was spoilered? Also why do I see a possible reference to The Goonies with that name. I'm suddenly thinking of the old lady.

Also, it's probably gonna go the paranoia route? Wherein you THINK there's a zombie but in reality that whole sequence had to be cut due to deadlines.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If that's actual gameplay then everybody will be complaining about the AI that can't see 5 feet in front of them, even with a light source.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
giving me major clock tower vibes

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

General Morden posted:

This is exactly what I thought of when the girl was hiding on the balcony, like "drat this would make for a really good Clock Tower."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

widespread posted:

There a reason why Marguerite Baker was spoilered?
Politeness, mostly. She was a character mentioned in the demo, and some people might not yet want to know she straight up is a villain in the main game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Politeness, mostly. She was a character mentioned in the demo, and some people might not yet want to know she straight up is a villain in the main game.

Fair enough.

General Morden posted:

Just imagine scissor man or his very loving fat brother you meet at the end in VR.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Raxivace posted:

This is not going to sate anyone who's worried resident evil is just gonna turn into an outlast clone.

We already have an outlast 2 coming, and that might be better for the whole 'running away from evil things' genre. Can we get something with combat, horror, and counting my bullets?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

Can we get something with combat, horror, and counting my bullets?
What I don't get is that they keep saying resource management and whatnot will be in RE7 but literally none of the promotional videos or the demo have shown this off.

Like the closest thing they've actually done is post a picture of a shotgun on the FB page and say herbs are in the game.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Resident Evil 5 and 6 both feature women as 50% of the cast, my dude.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Raxivace posted:

I really hope they start showing some combat soon, yeah. This stuff looks fine, but I really don't need another Outlast-style avoid-'em-up in my life.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Starting to think when they said combat they meant like it would be really sparse and not much going on with it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If it was a 3rd person game I'd be expecting Heavy Rain-esque "combat," but since it's first I don't really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

My guess is that you won't get to do any fighting in the flashback/videotape segments, only in the present. The Playstation Blog entry claims this trailer is a videotape segment, although I don't know how that makes sense because you can see both of the character's hands on-screen at one point.

Is she wearing a GoPro?