Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Stinky_Pete posted:

Send out your resume to some places and see how you feel if they reach out. You can always say no.

This is pretty much always the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I applied to Google NYC last night on a whim. They got back to me at 9am today. Aren't Google recruiters notoriously bad or something?

Anyway lol I'm definitely not prepared for this process even after a few weeks of review.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My dad and I talked over dinner about my job, and I'm realizing that it's really not very stable because the project(/product?) I work on is neither business-critical nor brings much value. I've determined that this is because it has effectively zero product design and direction and has been languishing in development hell since 2014. I've invested enough in this team and project to know it's flaws well and I want to see it succeed. But, I'm not sure how worth it it is to bring this thing up to speed, since it's non-critical and has a bad reputation for being a lovely application. The company itself is a Fortune 100, so it's nice to have on my resume and pays better than my last job, but I'm not sure if it will last me very long at this rate.

Bringing this project back from the brink will take actual product direction, more developer discipline, and a lot of effort. I still feel like this can become something much greater, even with just a little design discipline applied (i.e. separating the data part of the app from the user-interface-and-tool part of the app). But, I have no real design or project management chops to speak of right now.

Is it worth it to try and push this project up, or should I be looking for greener pastures? I feel like it's too early to move on, but I'm less than optimistic about the stability/shelf life of this position.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2016

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Read some books on software design and get those chops now. Test our your new techniques to see if you can improve this application, then you'll be ready to use that story in the interview for your next job. Is this project in an object-oriented language? If so, read some Robert C. Martin and Rebecca Wirfs-Brock.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I applied to Google NYC last night on a whim. They got back to me at 9am today. Aren't Google recruiters notoriously bad or something?

Anyway lol I'm definitely not prepared for this process even after a few weeks of review.

I think it depends on the recruiter. I had a great experience. He was always punctual about calling when he said he would, and kept me updated about everything going on

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RE: my employer and faulty hiring practices, besides the compulsive liar, we have a new help desk guy. Seemed fine last week, but today he's wearing a "Three Percenter" hat. I understand this to be a militia organization associated with the Cliven Bundy fiasco, among other things. If I suddenly stop posting, it's safe to assume I died in a mass shooting.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Their recruiters are generally OK. Their recruiting process is horrible. Expect to wait a month after the interview before getting a decision. The recruiter will check in weekly to let you know to keep waiting though!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pr0zac posted:

Their recruiters are generally OK. Their recruiting process is horrible. Expect to wait a month after the interview before getting a decision. The recruiter will check in weekly to let you know to keep waiting though!

I mean I don't even know if I'll pass the phone screen so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :razz:

How do the types of questions they ask differ for people with less experience? The only people I know who have interviewed there are 7+ years of experience folks and I'm sitting ~2 and change.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My team at Google NYC has like 3 open headcount now. Do well and maybe we can be goonglers together. Perks include free trips to Germany several times a year.

I think we're hiring for SRE ladders though so if your applying to SWE only maybe not. :-/

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yeah, SWE here. I didn't apply for a specific team, just the general role. I'm fully prepared for a polarizing interview process and lots of waiting, but hey we shall see!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Their recruiters are generally OK. Their recruiting process is horrible.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I actually didn't find the recruiting process horrible, it just takes a long time for all the machinery to move you through the process pipeline. My recruiter was very helpful and open about the process, and I felt Google was way more straightforward about expectations and what was going on than other companies.

Also definite no-s probably bounce out pretty quickly, then you can try again in a year. Yes-es take a good while because of all the committees and review stages. Maybe-s have it the worst I imagine, because you'll do all the waiting, then maybe extra waiting and interviews, and then possibly not even get an offer after all that.

3 months in though it's probably the best job I've had as a software engineer. Probably still too early to tell if that's because of Google, new job shininess, or I just worked at horrible lovely places before now. :shrug:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
That's at least somewhat reassuring. How much time can I expect between HR call -> phone screen -> in person (if I proceed through everything, blah blah counting my chickens I know)? I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible while not stressing myself out too much.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You can go as fast or slow as you want, you are one of a gazillion people in their pipeline, they don't care if you delay 2 months or whatever, or try to get the next open interview slot 3 days from now.

My anecdote: Google had easily the worst process out of them, Facebook, Twitter, and some smaller companies. Also the only one who won't give meaningful interview feedback. Allllso I got stood up by one of their recruiters on a scheduled phone chat without so much as an apology. I think I'm over trying to work there.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 15, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

That's at least somewhat reassuring. How much time can I expect between HR call -> phone screen -> in person (if I proceed through everything, blah blah counting my chickens I know)? I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible while not stressing myself out too much.

I would expect a week between the HR phone screen and the phone interviews and then two weeks to the onsite. Most of the delays are post onsite as the process has multiple levels. If you want more time at any point to study, you can just ask. The recruiter should have no issue with delaying because of that. I would reccomending you talk to the recruiter without waiting as they explain the interview process.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

My Google recruiter has been great. He got me 10k more than I asked for in base salary and was responsive throughout the process.

I didn't have to do that much preparation tbh. I just spent a day at work trying to implement an AVL tree (I couldn't get the delete function to work), then a couple of times a week I would try to work on a couple of medium leetcode problems on pen and paper at a park, or hard ones at a computer.

The most important thing is to get a good night's rest before the interview day and be able to calm yourself and not overthink it or stress out.

How do the types of questions they ask differ for people with less experience? The only people I know who have interviewed there are 7+ years of experience folks and I'm sitting ~2 and change.
It's independent of your experience. I got asked "find all triangles in a graph" right out of college. Every interviewer has their preferred question. I PM'd you the one I'd likely ask, though probably not on the phone.

mrmcd posted:

Yes-es take a good while because of all the committees and review stages.
Yeah, I interviewed at Mountain View on July 11th, and I gave my team choice on Friday and expect to get my offer today.

edit: the senior director is being hard for the hiring manager to reach to sign off on it apparently so I'm still waiting

How much time can I expect between HR call -> phone screen -> in person (if I proceed through everything, blah blah counting my chickens I know)?
I wasn't pursued past the phone screen when I applied right before graduating college, but then later when I had my current job I was contacted and told I wouldn't need to do another phone screen, so up to 2 years!

lol, but anyway I rebooted the process in early June, so if you imagine that being "right after" my phone screen, you can expect up to a month and a half before your interview date, but you'd probably be able to set it sooner if you like.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 16, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Any advice on what to say when giving 2 weeks' notice?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Tell them to not feel bad they have good dicks then slap their dick in your hand so they can see how big it is.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Keep it short and sweet. On a piece of paper:

quote:

<supervisor>:

This is to inform you that I am resigning from my position at <company> effective <actual last date of employment>.

Sincerely,

Stinky_Pete

* Feel free to put in an offer to help with transition, thank your supervisor for the opportunities you've had, or whatever else you deem appropriate.

FamDav posted:

Tell them to not feel bad they have good dicks then slap their dick in your hand so they can see how big it is.

Don't be sexist, offer to evaluate any genitals that are presented. Least you can do.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/reedcouk/status/763322792381210624

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking something more like

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 i quit good poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌quit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌I Quit

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks for the advice. All I know besides what I've read here is that one HN article about the guy who couldn't do that simple binary tree problem but wrote Homebrew and got salty about it.

Stinky_Pete posted:

"In 4 weeks you'll notice I haven't been here in 2 weeks."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rt4 posted:

Read some books on software design and get those chops now. Test our your new techniques to see if you can improve this application, then you'll be ready to use that story in the interview for your next job. Is this project in an object-oriented language? If so, read some Robert C. Martin and Rebecca Wirfs-Brock.

I can grab those books, sure. I just don't know what it is I need to do to make sure I get a stable and secure job - or if that's even what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what to do in my situation other than try and make it better.

I've got to draft a design document/single source of truth for a feature on our app, and I'm probably going to come up with total crap. :shepicide: At least I can try.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Stinky_Pete posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4UGtM4hDQ&t=109s

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

I was thinking something more like

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 i quit good poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌quit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌I Quit

dude you already knew what to write so why did you ask :v:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

My Google recruiter has been great. He got me 10k more than I asked for in base salary and was responsive throughout the process.

This doesn't really have anything to do with your recruiter. If the number the compensation committee comes up with is higher than what you're asking for, they'll give you that amount.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

This might belong more to the newbie programming thread.

I'm a year out of college and currently working at Big Tech Giant. I've recently received an offer for a quantitative trading firm in Chicago for $350k/yr guaranteed with a scaling bonus based on the performance of myself and the firm. I've heard horror stories of the working hours at a tech firm, but the money seems very difficult to pass up. The projects also seem very interesting at the company.

Is it worth sacrificing a year or two of social life in my early 20s for the $$$ and working 80 hour weeks? Should I just warm my seat at my current job? $350k seems to go a long way in Chicago by just looking at rent prices + the opportunity to learn crazy optimizations seems very tempting to me.

I'm currently at a fork in my life where I feel like I will regret one of two things in 10 years:
* not working harder and learning more while I could
* not hanging out with my friends + family while I had the time

and I can't find the best choice because I know I will regret whatever choice I make :/

Have any goons for quantitative trading firms? Is it actually 80 hour weeks? Was it worth it?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

sailormoon posted:

... $350k/yr guaranteed with a scaling bonus based on the performance of myself and the firm....

This is probably a scam

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There is a third trajectory which is the inverse of the first and including the second, which is not hanging out with friends & family because you're working harder for substantially less pay than you're capable of earning (because you hosed up). 100+ hour weeks for crappy pay for months has no way out really besides quitting and earning $0 while at least with a high paying job you can recuperate somewhat if you're getting worked into a brainless slush.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
$350k/year sounds implausibly high. And you have 1 year of experience? Do you have any reason (for example, uncommonly good college education) to think that you're somehow special enough to deserve that salary?

I'd be very careful about that offer, because it sounds too good to be true.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Try and find a compromise like 60 hours a week, $$ but something else like international travel. Quite a few hedge funds have international offices so you could potentially hop around.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

My team at Google NYC has like 3 open headcount now. Do well and maybe we can be goonglers together.

Wow this place is just crawling with characters.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Paolomania posted:

Don't worry I'm sure I'll bomb :razz:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Paolomania posted:

I think you're like the 4th or 5th person I've come across at this point. :ninja:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

b0lt posted:

This doesn't really have anything to do with your recruiter. If the number the compensation committee comes up with is higher than what you're asking for, they'll give you that amount.

No, it was a week after he said the pending base salary was 100k

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
An internal recruiter gets you to sign. They are not your advocate by any stretch of the imagination.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I know somebody that went to work in finance in Chicago straight out of college, he bought a Bosendorfer as a graduation present for himself. That was in 2009. He seems to have friends.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

sarehu posted:

I know somebody that went to work in finance in Chicago straight out of college, he bought a Bosendorfer as a graduation present for himself. That was in 2009. He seems to have friends.

I don't know what a Bosendorfer is but it sounds expensive.

Most of the people I know working 80+ hour weeks don't have (or at least don't interact with) friends. They're also in games and not pulling 350k.

My friends that jumped into finance straight out of undergrad got ~125k in NYC if I remember. 350 seems like a crazy number for someone at the junior or mid level.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I vote for taking the $350k job and writing a lengthy post about the experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean don't you need a PH.D. in math for a quant job?