Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
If you aren't sauteeing your gnocchi in the first place then what the gently caress are you doing with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never had gnocchi :ohdear:

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

If you aren't sauteeing your gnocchi in the first place then what the gently caress are you doing with your life.

Good time to repost this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You should try some. They are delicious and filling, if a bit time consuming to make.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I put a pinch of sugar in my tomato sauces for the flavour but yikes

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Neither have I. But my first impression is that they'd be chewy and kind of stick to your teeth. Can someone describe what the texture is actually like?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

It's like a delicious cloud with a slightly crunchy exterior.
I'd only ever eaten it at cheapo restaurants or boiled premade stuff and that was like eating glue.
One Sunday my gf and I decided to try and make some and even our amateur attempt was delicious.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cohsae posted:

It's like a delicious cloud with a slightly crunchy exterior.
I'd only ever eaten it at cheapo restaurants or boiled premade stuff and that was like eating glue.
One Sunday my gf and I decided to try and make some and even our amateur attempt was delicious.

I've never had good gnocchi. How do I make it right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You gotta admit, that is perfectly executed. 99% of similar attempts in this thread are a heap of wet stuff with too much sauce oozing out.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Somfin posted:

I've never had good gnocchi. How do I make it right?

I used this recipe and it's easy and turns out good gnocchi.

The basic information is:
  • Use a starchy potato like desiree potatoes
  • Boil potatoes in their skins
  • Use a potato ricer to mash them (do not use a food processor)
  • You don't need egg, only potato and flour
  • Cook gnocchi once they are shaped-because you don't want to add too much flour
  • 1 kilo desiree potatoes
  • 350g Italian 00 flour plus extra for the board
  • Your favourite sauce to serve it with (pesto, simple tomato, browned butter & sage, whatever takes your fancy)
  • You will also need a knife or pastry cutter and a ridged gnocchi board or fork

There's photos on the page I linked of how to roll the dough and cut / shape the gnocchi itself.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I used Ramsay's recipe, it has egg and ricotta although afaik potato and flour is the more hardcore way to do it. Might have to give it a try...
Ramsay's is pretty similar overall although the potatoes are baked not boiled to keep them as dry as possible (maybe if you don't add egg a little moisture is good?).
I think you want the dough to be just a little bit sticky by the time you're about to start rolling and cutting.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Going back to bacon in a tube, that can't keep safe for long can it? Will we see people try this and get sick?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

cyberia posted:

I used this recipe and it's easy and turns out good gnocchi.

The basic information is:
  • Use a starchy potato like desiree potatoes
  • Boil potatoes in their skins
  • Use a potato ricer to mash them (do not use a food processor)
  • You don't need egg, only potato and flour
  • Cook gnocchi once they are shaped-because you don't want to add too much flour
  • 1 kilo desiree potatoes
  • 350g Italian 00 flour plus extra for the board
  • Your favourite sauce to serve it with (pesto, simple tomato, browned butter & sage, whatever takes your fancy)
  • You will also need a knife or pastry cutter and a ridged gnocchi board or fork

There's photos on the page I linked of how to roll the dough and cut / shape the gnocchi itself.

I skimmed the recipe, but I usually use semolina flour for density, since I found all-purpose flour to make them a little too fluffy for my tastes. If you don't have a board like they do in the recipe, I usually form them against the tines of a fork to create the ridges.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

:stonk:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

I prefer my spaghetti without a side of DIABEETUS, thanks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

Going back to bacon in a tube, that can't keep safe for long can it? Will we see people try this and get sick?

i dunno, you can buy bacon jam and it is shelf stable (refrigerate after opening though)

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

i dunno, you can buy bacon jam and it is shelf stable (refrigerate after opening though)

I love those legalistic "No nitrates* (except the ones we added that we don't have to call nitrates for some reason)" labels. It's the dumbest labeling loophole

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RareAcumen posted:

Why is that meat full of teeth? :gonk:

To me they look like the cross section of shrimp small pastries.

Still horrifying.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Xen Tricks posted:

I love those legalistic "No nitrates* (except the ones we added that we don't have to call nitrates for some reason)" labels. It's the dumbest labeling loophole

Is it even a loophole? I think it's a thing for natural/nongmo idiots who don't really understand what they are trying to avoid in processed products

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Is it even a loophole? I think it's a thing for natural/nongmo idiots who don't really understand what they are trying to avoid in processed products

It's a loophole in that it allows them to pretend to said idiots that the thing they are buying doesn't contain ***scary chemical of the day***, isn't it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
You look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rottin Into something that looks like cheese. So you say "That's it, I gotta leave this place! I don't care what these people think. I'm just sittin here makin myself nauseous with this ugly food that stinks"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BraveUlysses posted:

Its a loophole in that cooked cured meats have actually been linked to cancer through nitrosamines so there's a legitimate reason to avoid nitrates and nitrites added to meats.

The weirder/loopier hole thing is also calling it uncured after the addition of celery powder. I had thought uncured was supposed to be the real dogwhistle for the slightly more informed hippies and the addition of celery powder to something called noncured meat is kind of concerning from a labeling point of view.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

Man, I should open a Cash Crab restaurant. Hot dogs and hoagies and gnocchi, everything comes with a can of Coke. No substitutions.

Would eat there. Speaking of which, let me apply for the tester position...

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Not sure I want to taste fried anything if I decide to drink a pop. Mmm, oil and sugar.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

You look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rottin Into something that looks like cheese. So you say "That's it, I gotta leave this place! I don't care what these people think. I'm just sittin here makin myself nauseous with this ugly food that stinks"

I understand this reference :golfclap:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
That's just two microwave pizzas stacked on top of each other. That's cheating.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Uncooked bread and.... diarrhea?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah goulash is not pretty.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EorayMel posted:

My flesh vitiates

I think it's black (red?) pudding with whole barley in it. Yum

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Pookah posted:

I think it's black (red?) pudding with whole barley in it. Yum

i think that's some sort of lunch meat with olives in it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

BraveUlysses posted:

This is the worst poo poo I have ever put in my mouth. I didn't buy it and i didn't feel bad throwing it right the gently caress away after trying a little bit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey look Korean Italian food

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

subpar anachronism posted:

Not sure I want to taste fried anything if I decide to drink a pop. Mmm, oil and sugar.

It actually smells and tastes like carbonated maple syrup. I got a case on clearance and made friends try it when they wanted a beverage before I gave them anything good.

Only one person finished the can.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Is this what happens when you eat like 30 Snickers and drink 8 liters of Mtn Dew a day?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It probably wouldn't even taste that bad its just wildly unnecessary to add that much sugar. You need a teaspoon or maybe two at most.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It probably wouldn't even taste that bad its just wildly unnecessary to add that much sugar. You need a teaspoon or maybe two at most.

Man I dunno about you but I think roughly 2 cups of sugar where it don't belong wouldn't be the best tasting thing

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Xen Tricks posted:

Man I dunno about you but I think roughly 2 cups of sugar where it don't belong wouldn't be the best tasting thing

That would probably be all you tasted. Like eating a thing of caramel and randomly getting the taste of the tomato sauce/a noodle (i would say garlic but anyone putting that much sugar in sauce deffo puts one tiny garlic clove in at max)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

''Cash Crab's Sad Snack Shack''