Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I guess I can't say yes 100%, but it's not even in the picture when I'm trying to watch just from my desktop with VLC. That's watching right from the NAS. And when the setup was at my friend's place, everything was downloading and working fine.

edit: I was informed that you don't even need a script for SAB and Sonarr to work together so I disabled it. Right after a file downloaded it played in VLC. Then Sonarr did its own processing and renamed/moved the file, and now it no longer works in VLC. Maybe the problem is something related to transferring the file to the share on the NAS from the NUC. I have two switches on my network and the NUC and NAS are physically on different ones, so I'm going to put them on one and see what happens.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
My block account got eaten again. gently caress this and gently caress astraweb.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bigis posted:

My block account got eaten again. gently caress this and gently caress astraweb.

In addition to my baffling issues above, questioning Astraweb's performance is another thing I've been doing. Seems like nothing can be found. Was thinking of switching to a Giganews Highwinds reseller but would then wouldn't be able to use Blocknews as the block. Anyone use Thundernews? Saw them on Reddit.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is Astraweb a lot cheaper than competitors? I've always used Supernews and its been rock solid for the most part. The only completion issues I see is older stuff and my block accounts cover it nicely.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

The Gunslinger posted:

Is Astraweb a lot cheaper than competitors? I've always used Supernews and its been rock solid for the most part. The only completion issues I see is older stuff and my block accounts cover it nicely.

The only reason I've stayed is the 3 months for $15 promotion on Astraweb.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

The only reason I've stayed is the 3 months for $15 promotion on Astraweb.

I'm on the two months for $15 but that seems sort of average.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Supernews has always been great for me.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

A lot of us haven't been billed in a couple years so paying a little more on the block accounts is still a win.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Was thinking of switching to a Giganews reseller but would then wouldn't be able to use Blocknews as the block. Anyone use Thundernews? Saw them on Reddit.

I tnought Giganews and Blocknews sourced from different backends? I've used Giganews as my primary with Blocknews for block servers for many years.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I tnought Giganews and Blocknews sourced from different backends? I've used Giganews as my primary with Blocknews for block servers for many years.

Oh sorry meant to say Highwinds since that's what Thundernews is. You are correct.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I added a Usenet.farm trial as a backup a week or two ago, and it saved a couple failed downloads that were in the ~500 day range for me yesterday. I'll probably add that into my block backups along with Block news and Tweaknews (which is empty, and I really ought to refill).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

PitViper posted:

I added a Usenet.farm trial as a backup a week or two ago, and it saved a couple failed downloads that were in the ~500 day range for me yesterday. I'll probably add that into my block backups along with Block news and Tweaknews (which is empty, and I really ought to refill).

I've got them as a primary and love em, speeds could be better though (I haven't sat down and tried to determine if the culprit was my NAS or service).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

ILikeVoltron posted:

I've got them as a primary and love em, speeds could be better though (I haven't sat down and tried to determine if the culprit was my NAS or service).

I can't dump Frugal as my primary. I haven't found anything yet that beats $40/yr for unlimited, even if the retention is low. Anything past my primary hits my Blocknews block first, then Usenet.farm and Tweaknews.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

What's the best way to set up remote access to SAB/Sonarr/CP? I'd like to be able to add shows/etc and check SAB status from my iPhone, and my server is a Mac Mini. Would running a VPN server and some sort of dyndns client with a firewall blocking everything but VPN from the outside on the Mac be the best (i.e. most secure) route?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

slomomofo posted:

What's the best way to set up remote access to SAB/Sonarr/CP? I'd like to be able to add shows/etc and check SAB status from my iPhone, and my server is a Mac Mini. Would running a VPN server and some sort of dyndns client with a firewall blocking everything but VPN from the outside on the Mac be the best (i.e. most secure) route?

I would say either a vpn or reverse proxy. I run both as I have nzbget open to get remote pushes from indexers.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Should I be looking into getting in on another indexer in addition to my NZBS.org access? It doesn't seem like stuff gets posted on there very fast or at all recently. I know a friend found something on Dog when I couldn't on NZBS.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Should I be looking into getting in on another indexer in addition to my NZBS.org access? It doesn't seem like stuff gets posted on there very fast or at all recently. I know a friend found something on Dog when I couldn't on NZBS.

I've started collecting indexers like they're Pokemon. I only have vip on a few, but the others are there in case I'm having trouble finding something. I really need to setup nzbhydra.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tantalus posted:

I've started collecting indexers like they're Pokemon. I only have vip on a few, but the others are there in case I'm having trouble finding something. I really need to setup nzbhydra.

Neat, a modern replacement for NZBMegaSearch. Thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tantalus posted:

I've started collecting indexers like they're Pokemon. I only have vip on a few, but the others are there in case I'm having trouble finding something.

This is the correct thing to do.

VIP on at least one and collect as many as you can. Keep the accounts active. If one falls, move to others.

And you may as well load them into Sonarr/CP, use the API hits you have for free.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've been using newsgroupdirect because of their super cheap 1TB block sales, but I'm getting a lot of failures recently - who do they use?. Also is nzb.cat any decent? Currently using nzb.su but it's been a bit iffy.

e: v at that price for lifetime can't really complain, guess I'll use .su as a backup.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2016

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I've been using nzb.cat for a few weeks and it's pretty good. Not gotten too many fakes, and I've not had any completion issues on Supernews.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jacobobb posted:

I've been using nzb.cat for a few weeks and it's pretty good. Not gotten too many fakes, and I've not had any completion issues on Supernews.

I don't know that I've ever gotten a fake...

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

ijyt posted:

I've been using newsgroupdirect because of their super cheap 1TB block sales, but I'm getting a lot of failures recently - who do they use?

Highwinds

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Nzb Cat can often be slow to have stuff posted but in general it's nice.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

ClassH posted:

A lot of us haven't been billed in a couple years so paying a little more on the block accounts is still a win.

I think their billing department finally got their poo poo together though because i just received this e-mail:

quote:

Your Astraweb Usenet account is now due past due. We are unable to bill your credit card or it has expired. Please
ensure you make payment promptly to avoid any interruptions in service.

We are currently offering the following special offer if you reactivate your billing.

You will NOT be billed for any outstanding or previous amounts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL OFFER $8/month:
We are currently offering a special offer. $8/month for the Unlimited DSL plan. No download limits, No speed limits.
The pricing is fixed for the lifetime of the subscription. This plan normally costs $15/month

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Lol what kind of company can you not bill anyone for 2 years and still be around to let everyone off the hook. Running newsgroup backbones must be super high margin.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Newsgroup Direct is doing an unlimited account for $5.50/month for tomorrow only. Some dudes on Reddit said they had their accounts deleted by NGD for using several TB a month but I'll try cancelling my Frugal for the extra .50 cents a month & 2700 more days of retention (300 Frugal, about 3k NDG). I figure if they cancel my NDG I'll just go back to Frugal.

https://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2016/08/12/unlimited-usenet-one-day-special/

12AM Eastern tomorrow until 11:59PM tomorrow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whose the backend for that? I've never had major problems with Newshosting (Highwinds) so would gladly switch over if I won't notice any difference.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's Highwinds. Forgot that, sorry

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I also got the Astraweb email and so maybe looking at changing provider. That NGD offer looks good should I switch?
Oh I'm also looking at Sonarr and Nzbget, am I right in thinking I'm boned if my QNAP NAS is an ARM based one? I don't think mono can run on ARM can it?

EDIT: Oh what the hell, for the price I went the NGD route. What would be a good block account provider? I'm in EU if that makes a difference.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 16, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Le0 posted:

EDIT: Oh what the hell, for the price I went the NGD route. What would be a good block account provider? I'm in EU if that makes a difference.
Ya, this came at a good time for me; my Supernews account renews on the 19th of each month, so I put in a cancel with them and signed up for NGD. I was using them as my block backup - I can't find my map of progeny, who is not Highwinds that is cheap?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use tweaknews as a block provider and don't have any complaints. I forget who their provider is, though.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Constant reminder to just buy a tweaknews unlimited and then get a block account from every other provider as they go on sale

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That doesn't say much about Tweaknews though, when I don't have any need for blocks with Highwinds and Sonarr/Couch Potato. Just seems an over complication.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Constant reminder to just buy a tweaknews unlimited and then get a block account from every other provider as they go on sale

I feel like this picture should be well out of date by now

Hasn't highwinds bought most of it up?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
This seems to be the most current Usenet map

https://m.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

That doesn't say much about Tweaknews though, when I don't have any need for blocks with Highwinds and Sonarr/Couch Potato. Just seems an over complication.

You might as well cover all your bases, if they all end up getting used the same amount anyway it's basically the same cost over the same amount of time anyway. I collected one from each in the first place because I was testing them all on an incomplete file and ended up sticking with it.

I did try a Highwinds unlimited again last year because it was cheaper on some sale and my Usenet-News (Readnews) and Astraweb blocks got absolutely destroyed. Same thing on a Supernews unlimited. As far as I'm aware Highwinds bought and "own" the Tweaknews backend but changed absolutely nothing with them.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well astraweb finally deactivated my account :rip:

Giganews, Highwind or Cheapnews?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dodoman posted:

Well astraweb finally deactivated my account :rip:

Giganews, Highwind or Cheapnews?

Honestly, I'd say just start paying Astraweb.

But I liked my Highwinds reseller (Super news) before I switched (to News Demon, who were shady, so I went to Astra)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heners_UK posted:

Honestly, I'd say just start paying Astraweb.

But I liked my Highwinds reseller (Super news) before I switched (to News Demon, who were shady, so I went to Astra)

SuperNews is Highwinds? I always thought it was Giganews.