Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people in London?

I see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens all the time all over San Francisco. I've seen a couple of Koenigseggs and Veyrons and, yes, even a LaFerrari. I have never seen anything remotely like that crowd of idiots running into the street to take pictures.
It's one particular small area where it's a thing, and at this point I'd say the majority of supercar people there know exactly what's going on, and are courting it. There's really no other reason to be in central London with that kind of car anyway, it's not a particularly nice place to drive even in a city car.

Dick Trauma posted:

As a pedestrian I thank you for having a bell on your bicycle.
A polite "excuse me" or "passing on your left" usually works.

I'm glad when they bother to be nice about it, but if they don't, it's their problem, particularly if they just try to barge through. I'm going to win that argument. All the cyclists I've encountered over the last few years have been sensible/civil, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I usually go with an "excuse me" but often that is futile for the majority of earbud wearers. The bell seems to work better, something in the lizard brain picks it up above the music I think. Pokemon go idiots have given me a few near misses lately.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

ReelBigLizard posted:

The bell seems to work better, something in the lizard brain picks it up above the music I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI&t=96s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It was only 2 hours ago that I was working out if it were practical to mount a truck horn on my bike. A bell isn't going to have any effect on the morons who overtake me so close that I can read the screen on their radio.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

It was only 2 hours ago that I was working out if it were practical to mount a truck horn on my bike. A bell isn't going to have any effect on the morons who overtake me so close that I can read the screen on their radio.

https://deltacycle.com/airzound-horn

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ooh that's nice

you could use this thing I built ten years ago

it's all pipe thread.

-used fire extinguisher
-various pipe threaded fittings from any plumbing or general hardware store
-your choice of air valve, a cheap tire pressure gauge combo will do (also has pipe thread fittings)
-truck horn from any freight truck supply store

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It's one particular small area where it's a thing, and at this point I'd say the majority of supercar people there know exactly what's going on, and are courting it. There's really no other reason to be in central London with that kind of car anyway, it's not a particularly nice place to drive even in a city car.

A polite "excuse me" or "passing on your left" usually works.

I'm glad when they bother to be nice about it, but if they don't, it's their problem, particularly if they just try to barge through. I'm going to win that argument. All the cyclists I've encountered over the last few years have been sensible/civil, anyway.

I've found that around 2/3 of the times that I say "On your left" when I'm about to pass someone, they step to the left and stop dead instead of getting out of the way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Passed a guy on the toll road today doing 80 in the left lane with both arms hooked through the top of the steering wheel, resting his hands on top of the dashboard texting away with both hands. Face was probably 4 inches away from the airbag. Terrific.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

you ate my cat posted:

I've found that around 2/3 of the times that I say "On your left" when I'm about to pass someone, they step to the left and stop dead instead of getting out of the way.

Better still is when there are two of them and the one on the left darts right while the one on the right darts left.
Great job guys.

I prefer the oblivious pedestrians on a bike path to cars on the road. I've learned to slow down around the pedestrians and expect them to act stupidly. Fact is, they are walking and absolutely not expecting anyone going faster than them. It stinks, but that's what it is.
It beats getting passed with about 6 inches of space. I used to catch up to them at lights and properly yell - but that's not doing anyone any good. They won't learn, they want to pass.
If you do have to ride on the road and you're worried about passers like that, take the whole lane and force them to pass in the other lane. While legal (WA), it obviously has problems, too and I really can't recommend it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

spog posted:

In highschool I mounted an old car horn on my bike and used a 7Ah 12V gelcell. It saved my rear end a few times. Today you could do this with a 3S or 4S lithium ion pack a quarter the weight.

I do like the airhorn idea, but wonder if there is a longer lasting propellant since those do use a fair bit of air.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

kastein posted:

I do like the airhorn idea, but wonder if there is a longer lasting propellant since those do use a fair bit of air.

It's all about modulation and trigger discipline.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

kastein posted:

In highschool I mounted an old car horn on my bike and used a 7Ah 12V gelcell. It saved my rear end a few times. Today you could do this with a 3S or 4S lithium ion pack a quarter the weight.

I have this in my ute: http://www.globalmarket.com/product-info/air-horn-296567.html
You could probably hook one of the compressors up to a LiPo easily enough, they're really small, like 120mmx50mm.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
just carry a bugle and learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1huPYerp0

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Ugh, nearly participated in a multi-car pileup this morning.

The highway here is a state highway with a speed limit of 60, with traffic usually flowing closer to 70. North is up.
I was heading west (sun to my back) behind a VW Golf doing about 70. We're in the left lane, passing a line of cars, and there's a few more cars behind me.

Cue our idiot, Mr Honda Accord. This guy has been sitting in the middle of the highway, at the intersection, waiting to turn left to go west.
The only way this guy didn't see the dozen+ cars coming at him is either he didn't look, or was blinded by the sun and decided to make a leap of faith.
Thankfully, everyone else was a little more aware than our idiot and managed to brake in time.

The icing on the cake was when we finally got back up to speed, the guy immediately got over and starting going 10 under. Must be in more of a hurry to the grave there wherever he was actually driving to. I gave him a looooong honk and one finger in particular as I passed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I saw s Dodge Dart with red lights in the DRLs. Bright red DRLs like brake lights.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

I saw s Dodge Dart with red lights in the DRLs. Bright red DRLs like brake lights.

he's fast. you're furious

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That's a great product: but I want something to make dozy road users think there is a truck bearing down on them and pay attention to their surroundings
Knowing my luck, they will make a swerve for the curb and take me out.

That is seriously impressive. I bet you made a version with flames - go on, admit it.

kastein posted:

thepaladin4488 posted:

I have this in my ute: http://www.globalmarket.com/product-info/air-horn-296567.html
You could probably hook one of the compressors up to a LiPo easily enough, they're really small, like 120mmx50mm.

It didn't cross my mind that you could do it with anything other than a huge car battery. Modern technology has moved on.
Any idea what sort of current they drain? 2A enough?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-30...LkAAOSw8cNUR4Eh

EDIT: looks like they draw quite a few amps

spog fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 16, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A three-fer (the cop, the red-light runner and the guy in the Camry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McC-wBYPX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmIiecszgQ

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 16, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

spog posted:

That is seriously impressive. I bet you made a version with flames - go on, admit it.

thank you thank you

for my next trick, I will use a compressed flammable gas for a propellant.

day 0: Got a tank of propane. The attendant at the gas station looked at me funny but we're good to go. I'm going to wait a day couple days to make sure the feds weren't called. It'll be a bitch to explain myself if all this is assembled

day 3: No feds. The adiabatic cooling is making the reed valve freeze internally. The higher the psi the faster it happens. I only get a yelp before it turns to hissing.

day 4: igniting the propane to ward off the freezing isn't going to work. The flame only makes it so far into the neck of the horns and it doesn't heat the reed valves.

day 5: the horns are plastic and I had buy new ones after melting the first set yesterday.

day 6: Attached a heat sink to the back of the reed valves and that seems to ward off the freezing for a few seconds. I have an activation duration of about 2 seconds and a cooldown of 10 seconds.

day 7. asked some of my friends to witness me. said they'd come by

day 8: IT'S WORKING! It's finally working and I can get flames shooting out with the use of a few pilot lights. Sounds great! Now they'll hear AND see me coming.

day 22: been really busy the past two weeks. I got an order from the guy in charge and he wanted me to multiply this across ten cars, fifteen horns each. Almost done.

day 30: We lost earl to a propane tank explosion but everyone is too busy geeking out at this super sick flame setup to notice he's missing. That sucks.

day 33: We're on the road and I was told my horns are perfect, perfect in every way.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Ok, rear end in a top hat, it's not bad enough that four lanes of traffic on 95 have to be funneled down to a single lane on the left shoulder because of the accident on the right, do you really have to bring things to an even slower crawl as you lean across the passenger seat trying to get a better look?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't mind undertaking in general, since it's the only way to pass here sometimes given slow idiots' infatuation with being in the left-hand lane, but at least let me do the right thing and switch out of the passing lane as the earliest safe opportunity before trying to pass me on the right. Also, when I have my right signal on already, it means I'm actively in the process of getting out of your way, so just stay in the loving left hand lane instead of swerving right and then slamming on your brakes.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Interesting.

also : the guy in the Camry is not in the wrong.

Look at the second video.
- the driver's view of the police unit was obstructed by the cars in the other two lanes
- the officer switched on lights but no siren
- the officer failed to completely clear the intersection before crossing against the light

Hope the Camry driver retains decent counsel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Almost got run over this morning during my walk to work. Thanks left turning guy that ran the red to shave 2 minutes off of your commute. That little angry wave you gave me was compensation enough for nearly killing me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

There's a guy at my work with a Dart with blue (like lovely computer case blue) DRLs. I remember seeing something else with green too. Must be a Dodge thing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

First thing that comes to mind is airsoft propellant. It's called green gas. It has a relatively low vapor pressure so its a liquefied gas in the bottle, but it also has a decently low latent heat of vaporization, so it expands very quickly. You could probably get a few good honks from a can of that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wonder what its molecular mass is/what the speed of sound in it is? One of those affects the note that will be played, I forget which.

And yeah, much like Elsa I really wanted to make a propane firebreathing airhorn at one point, but for some reason I decided not to. Can't remember why. The flame would probably get extinguished at highway speeds anyways.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

buttcrackmenace posted:

Interesting.

also : the guy in the Camry is not in the wrong.

Look at the second video.
- the driver's view of the police unit was obstructed by the cars in the other two lanes
- the officer switched on lights but no siren
- the officer failed to completely clear the intersection before crossing against the light

Hope the Camry driver retains decent counsel.

Yea I don't think Camry guy had enough time to stop for that waffling cop. poo poo or get off the pot, don't just sputter through the red light.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've performed the same bone-headed move in a late 80's LeBaron. What a poo poo box that thing was. I accidentally bumped it into reverse going about 30-35mph. A very loud bang and it rolled to a halt. I had to restart the stalled engine and everything worked fine.

Gotta ask, did you also do it to just rev the engine at speed (I was in a tunnel)?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't remember why I was dicking around with it. But that's a good guesstimate what 19-year old me would have done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

To the rear end in a top hat in the (black? dark blue?) Dodge Dart that almost hit me last night on my way home from my friend's place - RED means STOP, and for gently caress's sake USE YOUR loving HEADLIGHTS. Not a very fun surprise to take a right turn at a green and hear screeching tires because your blind, chucklefuck monkey rear end decided your headlights weren't necessary (not even parking lights) after 10pm while driving a car that's already hard to see at night, and decided to run a red because you weren't paying attention. I hope you get mangled in a wreck and have to be buried in that piece of poo poo Chrysler product you loving dope.

I had the mirror image of this on the way to drop my kid off this morning - I was sitting at a dead red and had been for quite some time. JKU Wrangler blows through the red just past me at probably around 60, close enough for the wind to rock my CR-V.

So that's my family's brush with death for the day.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had the mirror image of this on the way to drop my kid off this morning - I was sitting at a dead red and had been for quite some time. JKU Wrangler blows through the red just past me at probably around 60, close enough for the wind to rock my CR-V.

So that's my family's brush with death for the day.

I feel like a CR-V isn't a great example of an immovable thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

um excuse me posted:

First thing that comes to mind is airsoft propellant. It's called green gas. It has a relatively low vapor pressure so its a liquefied gas in the bottle, but it also has a decently low latent heat of vaporization, so it expands very quickly. You could probably get a few good honks from a can of that.

Isn't green gas just propane plus some suspended lubricant? I know airsoft guys often just use propane stove cylinders, since it's way cheaper, and have to manually lube the gun every once in awhile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Some absolute oval office decided it would be fun to try to scare a cyclist by deliberatly swerving off the freeway and pass as close as possible to the cyclist on the dedicated bike lane a full THREE METERS from the freeway edge.

I hope that stupid prick either has his motor detonate or at some later point, he loses his license for many years.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Some absolute oval office decided it would be fun to try to scare a cyclist by deliberatly swerving off the freeway and pass as close as possible to the cyclist on the dedicated bike lane a full THREE METERS from the freeway edge.

I hope that stupid prick either has his motor detonate or at some later point, he loses his license for many years.

People are assholes. I keep a spark plug shard with me for those occasions. Haven't had to use it, but I'm looking forward to it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

People are assholes. I keep a spark plug shard with me for those occasions. Haven't had to use it, but I'm looking forward to it.

don't forget, that only works on the side windows.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elsa posted:

don't forget, that only works on the side windows.

Most rear windows too.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

FogHelmut posted:

That's actually the backwards-driving edition AKA the bodge bart

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spent the last week or so touring around New Mexico, and while the populated areas have some borderline suicidal drivers that will weave all over the place with no warning, in the rural areas I did witness something I had never actually seen done before: if you peek around someone as if to pass and tail them somewhat closely, they actually pull over at the next wide spot to allow you to pass. I have not once seen this happen anywhere else, even in areas where the law mandates slow traffic clear a path.

So good on you, New Mexico (except for the constant fear of wondering which vehicle is going to murder me when in a city).

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
In found the American West to be pleasant driving outside the cities. People tend to stay right except to pass and don't take an attempt to pass as a personal insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I found this in the Schadenfreude thread, and it's absolutely glorious.

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.dk/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html