Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreddout posted:

Your posts are nauseating to read and I uncontrollably cringe whenever I see your av.

Love you long time, Facebook Aunt! :wink:

The cringe thing makes sense. Spanish Manlove made a thread where if people did a thing he would give them one of Aaratek's old avatars. I did not do the thing, but I did post in the thread, and surprise! So basically I have the avatar of a child molester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I wonder how our Copper Age ancestors did courtship or if they had these kinds of difficulties ?

I couldn't have been all rapes all the time, could it ?

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Decebal posted:

I wonder how our Copper Age ancestors did courtship or if they had these kinds of difficulties ?

Nice guys, being puny and weak, were all dead by 16 from childhood illness, livestock accidents, parental beatings, starvation, avalanches, hazing, and extreme lack of gaming.

Dudes like that did not survive manhood initiation rituals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

They probably just didn't over complicate it like people do now

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decebal posted:

You probably grew up in a tribe or village of less than 200 people. Basically everyone you know is related to you. There might be a few adjacent groups who you sometimes trade with, intermarry with, raid, or go to war with, but they're probably your distant cousins too. It's never a matter of trying to pick up a stranger in a bar, because there are no strangers. Your marriage prospects are pretty obvious.

In some cultures it would be even easier, because you don't choose at all. Your parents start thinking about your marriage prospects from the time you are a little kid. They will make an agreement with a compatible family, and when you are old enough that's who you pair off with.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think in many tribal-based cultures that still survive, marrying anybody from within your tribe is basically the same as incest--all marriage is supposed to be with someone outside the tribe. It's probably a lot easier to say you're interested in a girl when some or all of the following are true:

You went, with other men your age, on a trip to another tribe specifically to scope out potential brides
The person you need to tell is your father, or the girl's father, rather than the girl herself
There's a social expectation/obligation to get married now

This is assuming you have any say in the matter and it isn't just your father negotiating with another father over how much of a dowry he can get

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I guess, but people still fell in love and felt awkward & elated about each other. I wish we could track down when it changed from "hey, I like you " to complicated rituals and taboos

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Decebal posted:

I guess, but people still fell in love and felt awkward & elated about each other. I wish we could track down when it changed from "hey, I like you " to complicated rituals and taboos

It's probably always been complicated rituals--it's not like humans invented those. Look at the courtship patterns of birds for instance.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's a kilt

and he looks the the mysterious man from lost highway

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 16, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I'm the turbo-nerd sauna shirt, glad to be steaming this dude to death.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's probably always been complicated rituals--it's not like humans invented those. Look at the courtship patterns of birds for instance.

Imagine how disappointed this guy feels getting a "No" after working hard on that fabulous bower !

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

b'hehehehehe

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

So to demonstrate the extreme value that he's depriving women of, he decides to drape himself in the thing that's meant for containing garbage

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

Imagine how disappointed this guy feels getting a "No" after working hard on that fabulous bower !

I'd gently caress that bird

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

you'd get arrested

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

mods?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stinky_Pete posted:

you'd get arrested

I mean consensually obviously

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bower birds are what happens when textbook OCD behaviors evolve in animals and are somehow favored by natural selection.

There was this one that apparently liked to collect deer pellets and would place them ever so particularly in a pile, much like the acorns in that picture. Problem with deer poop is that it grows fungus. Imagine! White mushrooms growing out of your immaculately arranged pile of brown round things! That's unacceptable so the bird spends all day plucking the fungus from its perfect poop pile instead of replacing them with rocks or nuts or something.

I sincerely hope he got laid because drat that's some dedication.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

:frog:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

don't gently caress birds, pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

Bower birds are what happens when textbook OCD behaviors evolve in animals and are somehow favored by natural selection.

There was this one that apparently liked to collect deer pellets and would place them ever so particularly in a pile, much like the acorns in that picture. Problem with deer poop is that it grows fungus. Imagine! White mushrooms growing out of your immaculately arranged pile of brown round things! That's unacceptable so the bird spends all day plucking the fungus from its perfect poop pile instead of replacing them with rocks or nuts or something.

I sincerely hope he got laid because drat that's some dedication.

Is he single

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mak0rz posted:

naem
May 29, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I think in many tribal-based cultures that still survive, marrying anybody from within your tribe is basically the same as incest--all marriage is supposed to be with someone outside the tribe. It's probably a lot easier to say you're interested in a girl when some or all of the following are true:

You went, with other men your age, on a trip to another tribe specifically to scope out potential brides
The person you need to tell is your father, or the girl's father, rather than the girl herself
There's a social expectation/obligation to get married now

This is assuming you have any say in the matter and it isn't just your father negotiating with another father over how much of a dowry he can get

I like to think that when Vikings raided coastal villages the local women saw a bunch of big blonde guys, ran for the beach, and all piled into the boat "TAKE ME! TAKE ME WITH YOU! NOW I DONT HAVE TO MARRY MY COUSIN!!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

naem posted:

I like to think that when Vikings raided coastal villages the local women saw a bunch of big blonde guys, ran for the beach, and all piled into the boat "TAKE ME! TAKE ME WITH YOU! NOW I DONT HAVE TO MARRY MY COUSIN!!"

Quite a fantasy you have there.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don't the Mormons still kind of have a system to marry off quirky dudes? Singles Wards iirc?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chomp8645 posted:

Quite a fantasy you have there.

psssht if you dont think ragnar lothbrook is all kindsa attractive and poo poo.

naem
May 29, 2011

hello laidies

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

naem posted:

hello laidies

floki is the nice guy :catbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mak0rz posted:

DO gently caress birds, Pick.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Rollo is the sexiest Viking putting aside how much of traitor he is.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Rollo is the sexiest Viking putting aside how much of traitor he is.

A sexy traitor.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i cant tell if he's wearing lipstick

or he's trying to fight off the heat with a gallon of Hawaiian punch

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

It might be Big Red or Red Flash as that is the usual Goon choice of drink barring the store is out of Mountain Dew Code Red and Mr. Pibb.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Guys don't pay for dinner, I always paid for dinner and now I'm married and still pay for dinner. I can't believe this harridan has her claws in me.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

naem posted:

One of those horned helms could probably deliver quite the shocker

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Whoa, blast from the past. :ducksiren:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lastgirl posted:

Lipstick - and a dress!

It was a protest over a slutwalk, so it's no surprise the pathetic losers from MGTOW were there to tell women how they were all whores who deserved to be raped.

Here have an interview with the guy from self hating right wing "women's rights" reporter Lauren Southern:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfdS38aBSk&t=194s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like that dude claiming other people have sexual failure is extremely pot calling the kettle black

i mean he's wearing caution tape ffs

• Locked thread