Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat, that really sucks. What happened? The clearance took so long that the hiring office withdrew the internship offer? Really sorry to hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tyro posted:

drat, that really sucks. What happened? The clearance took so long that the hiring office withdrew the internship offer? Really sorry to hear that.

Yeah that is exactly it. I don't know why it took so long but I turned everything in on time and before deadlines. Maybe I had too many family members living in China? Or knew too many foreigners. I don't think there was anything I could do to speed it up. :(

I filled out some form for the clearance process like 3 weeks ago too. I thought it was moving along.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
As a former intern I'm really sorry to hear that. What a bummer, and of course now you probably don't have time to pick up another internship!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tyro posted:

As a former intern I'm really sorry to hear that. What a bummer, and of course now you probably don't have time to pick up another internship!

Thanks man. And it is ok. I have something for this semester at least.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Artificer posted:

just had an internship offer withdrawn
Very sorry to hear that. From what I've learned, it isn't uncommon. If things are still done they way they were in 2013, they only give ~3 months to complete the clearance which really isn't long enough for a lot of very very qualified candidates. It's a shame, honestly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

tismondo posted:

Very sorry to hear that. From what I've learned, it isn't uncommon. If things are still done they way they were in 2013, they only give ~3 months to complete the clearance which really isn't long enough for a lot of very very qualified candidates. It's a shame, honestly.

Are they more patient with actual job applicants or am I hosed for that too?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
No, for full time job applicants, your clock doesn't start running until all clearance and suitability decisions have been made and you're actually on the list (register). Once you're on that register you have 18 months to receive and accept a final offer of employment or your candidacy expires.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
.done in time :ohdear:

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well now this is starting to worry me. I was selected for a fall internship, but State didn't begin moving on my clearance until a few weeks ago, even though I finished eQip and turned in fingerprints less than a week after getting access. While they've told me that I can roll it over to spring, I'm not entirely sure that my clearance will be done in time :ohdear:

Good luck, man. Hope it works out. :)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
They actually explicitly state in some Civil Service announcements that "The Department of State reserves the right to rescind a conditional offer of employment if the selectee does not receive a security clearance adjudication within 6 months of the offer of employment" or some language very similar to that. I guess State is thinking that they have jobs to fill and don't want to wait around indefinitely for someone to clear security. I think DS has a 90-120 day target for adjudicating clearances now.

Sorry you got caught with the short end of the stick here. :(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I see they have an option for Doctors; does anyone know if they take Pharmacists as well? I'm looking to get out of the retail scene and stay out as much as possible. I've heard about pharmacists doing military base work and contract stuff overseas but I don't know where to even ask about all that.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Booya, bitches - paneled to the Transatlantic Diplomacy Fellow in Turkey. Housing for Goons in Ankara, starting in 2017!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

the_chavi posted:

Booya, bitches - paneled to the Transatlantic Diplomacy Fellow in Turkey. Housing for Goons in Ankara, starting in 2017!

Congrats!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

the_chavi posted:

That'll work out great if they (and we) are still in NATO by then!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

the_chavi posted:

Oh poo poo!!! Huge congrats. I imagine those things are super competitive.

I'm sure you'll have

a blast :grin:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

That'll work out great if they (and we) are still in NATO by then!

Hurray! We're taking bets as to how many people will be left in the MFA by the time I get there next year - hell, with the purges going on I could be an acting (Turkish) Ambassador...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jesus Christ. The Only FSOT dates in Japan this year are the exact same weekend I'll be taking the GRE. I wish they released the dates of the test before registration opened so I could have known about this.

When do the next tests open for the FSOT? Is there another opportunity to take them in like March or April?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

When do the next tests open for the FSOT? Is there another opportunity to take them in like March or April?

Probably February/March. It's usually three times a year in February, June and October (+/- a month).

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can only take it once a calendar year, right? So if I take it in October I can't take it again until October 2017?

And can anyone give me a rough time frame of the time between taking the test and and the Oral Interview? I'm overseas right now and probably won't be back until next summer. In the (unlikely) event I got invited to the oral assessment it would be a huge pain in the rear end to have to fly to DC for a few days to take the test and fly right back for like...a month or whatever.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Correct, you cannot take the test again until 11 months have passed. Here is a timeline that should give you a basic idea of how long everything should take:

random dude's FSOT blog posted:

10/8/11 – Took FSOT

10/27/11 – Notified I passed FSOT

11/16/11 – QEP Personal Narratives submitted

1/23/12 – Notified I passed QEP

1/30/12 – Invited to schedule FSOA

5/18/12 – Passed FSOA

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thank you so much for the information. Looking on the State Department's website I found this.

"I missed the deadline for scheduling an assessment. What do I do?
Your invitation is good for 12 months. You should contact reschedule@state.gov immediately to request an appointment in your assessment window. If there are no appointments available, they will work with you to schedule an as"

It says "Your invitation is good for 12 months". I assume that means "12 months from when you are Invited to Schedule the FSOA"? That great.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

The FSOT is offered every February (or late January), June, and October each year. If you don't take it in October 2016, you can take it in February 2017 provided that the last time you took the FSOT was October 2015 or earlier. And if you take it in February 2017 and want to take it again, you'll have to wait until February 2018.

You don't think you'll be able to make a quick hop to Korea so you can take the test there?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

zzonkmiles posted:

The FSOT is offered every February (or late January), June, and October each year. If you don't take it in October 2016, you can take it in February 2017 provided that the last time you took the FSOT was October 2015 or earlier. And if you take it in February 2017 and want to take it again, you'll have to wait until February 2018.

You don't think you'll be able to make a quick hop to Korea so you can take the test there?

I can take the FSOT in Japan, that's fine. My only concern was that if I did somehow manage to make it to the FSOA I wouldn't want to spend a couple thousand dollars just to fly to DC, then come back to Japan, then come back to America a few months later. However, it looks like you have 12 months to schedule the FSOA after the invitation, so that won't be a problem at all.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I can take the FSOT in Japan, that's fine. My only concern was that if I did somehow manage to make it to the FSOA I wouldn't want to spend a couple thousand dollars just to fly to DC, then come back to Japan, then come back to America a few months later. However, it looks like you have 12 months to schedule the FSOA after the invitation, so that won't be a problem at all.

Recently they've allowed candidates to take the OA in San Francisco during set times. I know you can fly from Osaka to SF directly with United and I am sure you can fly from Tokyo to SF nonstop too with a bunch of other airlines.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Welp - London tour is done. Great assignment and great city.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

My FSI telephone test is tomorrow. Bring on the fail!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

TCD posted:

Welp - London tour is done. Great assignment and great city.

TCD I don't remember where you're headed next. I tried to look through your post history but I saw it was 32 pages and immediately blacked out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

TCD I don't remember where you're headed next. I tried to look through your post history but I saw it was 32 pages and immediately blacked out.

Hah - back to WHA. But I'll be at FSI for a few months for Espanol (yay IRM getting language training).

You can PM or state email for specific job and post :)

Also being at a post with another goon is a lot of fun. Road trip around Scotland scotch whisky tasting? Yup - a lot of fun with another goon.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
That sounds great. I'm planning my own trip to Scotland, but it probably won't happen until the Eminent Child is out of high school (at least 6 more years).

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

So, ummmm...how hard/easy is it to get an S2 in a language? Coming into the test, I thought I had a chance at an S2+, but my nerves got the best of me and I am hoping I didn't somehow S1+ myself with that abysmal performance this morning. Oh well. At least I can test again in 6 months, although I have a good shot at making the January or March A-100, thus making the bonus points unnecessary. But oops.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

zzonkmiles posted:

So, ummmm...how hard/easy is it to get an S2 in a language?

Depends on the language. Hope it wasn't French.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Bruxism posted:

It was Japanese. I knew I wasn't going to get an S3, but I would be personally devastated if I somehow snatched an S1+ from the jaws of an S2+. At this point, if I salvaged an S2, I'd declare that a victory. Hopefully I'll be able to retest in person at FSI.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zzonkmiles posted:

It was Japanese. I knew I wasn't going to get an S3, but I would be personally devastated if I somehow snatched an S1+ from the jaws of an S2+. At this point, if I salvaged an S2, I'd declare that a victory. Hopefully I'll be able to retest in person at FSI.

Do you have any idea where those stand relative to the JPLT exam? How difficult was it?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

LimburgLimbo posted:

Do you have any idea where those stand relative to the JPLT exam? How difficult was it?

Well, I did pass 2-kyu (now known as N2) of the JLPT several years ago. I'd say the JLPT was harder simply because it is so much longer. But the JLPT is also all multiple choice, which makes it easier. Plus, there are study guides available that cover the vocabulary and grammar that you can be tested on for N1, N2, and N3, which reduces your chances of being surprised. The FSI test is a lot more interactive. I won't know my score until later this week, but I'm not optimistic. It's just frustrating to know that I can communicate much more effectively in the language than I did this morning when it really counted.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Bruxism posted:

Is French particularly graded harshly? I speak it fluently, but it's at an eighth grade level or so with a bad accent :ohdear:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
If you want a nice language score, just take Mandarin. They hand out 2/1s if you can say "Ni Hao".

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Well, as I expected, I didn't pass. Fine. But I have no idea whether I scored a 1+, a 2, or a 2+. I mean, it would just be nice to know how close I came to an S3 so I know how much I need to study before I take the test again. Is the registrar able to provide this information?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

If you want a nice language score, just take Mandarin. They hand out 2/1s if you can say "Ni Hao".

Is that really all you need for the bonus points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
They seem especially lenient with the reading. We had people serving in China who really couldn't read characters at all and I wondered where the 1 in their 2/1s came from.