Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

xzzy posted:

Spent the last week or so touring around New Mexico, and while the populated areas have some borderline suicidal drivers that will weave all over the place with no warning

That's just the natives headed to the grocery store to get another handle of whiskey at 9am

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what my prejudiced rear end thought at first, but then I noticed everyone does it. White, native, old, young. Wasn't just on the reservations either, I saw it the most in Albuquerque. People would randomly decide to drift into another lane, even if it happened to be on the other side of a yellow line.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/15/driver-killed-three-friends-by-coasting-down-a-hill-to-save-petrol-money-6069113/

quote:

Three young men died in a car crash when their friend ‘coasted’ down a hill to save petrol money.

John Graham, 21, has been jailed for death by careless driving after he crashed while driving in neutral. His friends Ryan Gibbons, 20, Gethin Jones, 18, and Joe Daniels, 18, all passengers in Graham’s Seat Ibiza, died in the collision last October.

Graham was driving back from a trip to McDonald’s when his car clipped a kerb on Aberdare Road in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, and struck a telegraph pole. He had been coasting down a steep hill with two sharp bends at about 40mph when he hit the kerb. After his arrest he told officers: ‘I didn’t feel like I was going too fast. I didn’t feel like I was going above 40mph.’

Fellow passenger Cory Davies, 20, survived the crash along with Graham, who suffered minor injuries.Cory said: ‘I can remember our car going around a corner and hitting a kerb on my side of the car. As a result of this, my side of the car started to lift off the ground and started to wobble. I remember seeing what I thought was a tree to my right but I think it was actually a telegraph pole.’

Graham, of Bargoed, South Wales, denied dangerous driving but admitted the lesser charge of careless driving.

He was jailed for 10 months and banned from driving for three years.

loving hypermilers.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Doesn't that waste gas too?

The engine now has to idle to power the AC and all the other electronic stuff. By leaving it in gear, a modern fuel injected engine can cut the fuel and let gravity turn it over, thus powering all that other stuff for you.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I'm more amazed people still use the telegraph.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gravity idling the engine turns the compressor, too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

I found this in the Schadenfreude thread, and it's absolutely glorious.

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.dk/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html

Sounds like Boston on an average Thursday.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

I'm more amazed people still use the telegraph.

It's South Wales - where electricity is still considered magic.

and indoor toilets are confined to the super-rich.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I read that as "and the super-rich are confined to indoor toilets" :allears:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Stupid to be sure but the article isn't exactly clear on how being in neutral caused or contributed to the accident.

Did he ride his brakes until they faded? Not enough vacuum to boost the brakes? Sounds like it was just lovely driving that led to the accident and they just happened to be coasting at the time...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

Stupid to be sure but the article isn't exactly clear on how being in neutral caused or contributed to the accident.

Did he ride his brakes until they faded? Not enough vacuum to boost the brakes? Sounds like it was just lovely driving that led to the accident and they just happened to be coasting at the time...

Yeah, on examination it's not so clear. i did track down a more detailed article:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jail-young-driver-who-admitted-11742401

quote:

The collision happened at around 10.30pm on Sunday, October 11, when the five young men were travelling towards Merthyr Tydfil town centre from Cyfarthfa Retail Park, after a previous trip to McDonald's at Rhydycar, Cyfarthfa Retail Park and Tesco.

The court heard how Aberdare Road, where the crash happened, increases from a gradient of one in 25 to one in seven as the hill descends, made up of a right hand bend immediately followed by a left hand bend.

The car was in neutral and the driver was, in effect, "coasting" down the hill. Judge Daniel Williams said the road on which the crash took place was one the court was "very familiar" with.

He said the prosecution's argument amounted to the combination of the road layout, gradient, speed and the fact the vehicle was coasting take it to dangerous driving, but he dismissed three counts of causing death by dangerous driving against the defendant. On dismissing the charges of causing death by dangerous driving, Judge Williams said: "There's no evidence of dangerous driving in the evidence of Cory Davies, the front seat passenger at the time of the collision. There's no other eyewitness evidence from witnesses called on behalf of the prosecution in relation to the collision.

"In my judgement, the evidence is not sufficient to prove to the right standard that the defendant's driving was dangerous, rather than careless."

I guess being in neutral helped the car gather speed beyond a safe amount - though probably he would still have done that if he were in gear.

Unlike my friend who used to turn off his engine to save fuel and to scare his passengers by showing them the ignition key while decending.

He stopped when he discovered that this enabled the steering lock and removed the brake boost.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

spog posted:

It's South Wales - where electricity is still considered magic.

and indoor toilets are confined to the super-rich.

and people still point at aeroplanes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

He stopped when he discovered that this enabled the steering lock and removed the brake boost.

How long did it take him to 'discover' these unknowable mysteries?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

As I recall, it was somewhere between "Hey Girls! Watch this!" and "Ahhhh! Oh blimey, I've poo poo meself"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
One of the two keys for my old Crown Vic was so worn out I could pull it out while the car was running. That was fun to gently caress with people, and kind of nice when just stopping in to a friend's house since I could leave the car running but still lock it without having to carry both keys around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TotalLossBrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-Pz042vyg

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That was great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My dumbass brother did that while I was towing a CRX behind another car. He was in the CRX and for some retarded reason decided to take the key out of the ignition and the wheel locked up on him. Luckily it was a three lane road and no one else was near us at the time, could have ended up badly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's it, I'm buying a dashcam. Just had an old man in a second gen Escape not only pull out right in front of me off of a side street and into the next lane over, he also randomly swerved into my lane just as my front bumper lined up with his rear. I'd be on the hook for rear ending him if I hadn't been able to stop in time.

Pretty sure he was completely oblivious as to what he nearly did too :corsair:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

how the gently caress?
Did the steering wheel lock or something? I mean I know it's tough to turn without power steering, but that wheel wasn't budging with 2 people fighting it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Geoj posted:

That's it, I'm buying a dashcam. Just had an old man in a second gen Escape not only pull out right in front of me off of a side street and into the next lane over, he also randomly swerved into my lane just as my front bumper lined up with his rear. I'd be on the hook for rear ending him if I hadn't been able to stop in time.

Pretty sure he was completely oblivious as to what he nearly did too :corsair:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8F3LD0/ <-- get one of these if you're in doubt. (If you're in a cooler climate you can save some $$$ and get the battery model)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

how the gently caress?
Did the steering wheel lock or something? I mean I know it's tough to turn without power steering, but that wheel wasn't budging with 2 people fighting it.

Yes, that final turn was sharper than the ones before and the wheel locked after it was turned that far.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nitrogen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8F3LD0/ <-- get one of these if you're in doubt. (If you're in a cooler climate you can save some $$$ and get the battery model)

Just get the capacitor model. I have the battery model and I'm pretty sure Geoj is in my area (NE Ohio). The battery lasted about two months in to its first summer in a white car parked mostly outside.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Some absolute oval office decided it would be fun to try to scare a cyclist by deliberatly swerving off the freeway and pass as close as possible to the cyclist on the dedicated bike lane a full THREE METERS from the freeway edge.

I hope that stupid prick either has his motor detonate or at some later point, he loses his license for many years.

Some years ago I was riding my bicycle down the highway on the shoulder, completely out of the traffic lane and inconveniencing no one, when a black primered 260z passed me at high speed with only inches to spare. In his eagerness to give me a thrill, the driver was apparently watching me in his mirrors after he passed me, rather than paying attention to the fact that he had angled toward the highway's shoulder to get closer to me, and was now headed off the road. As I watched, he suddenly realized that he was heading for the shoulder going about seventy + MPH (it was a fifty five zone, and he had likely sped up to make it a more memorable experience for us both) and he over corrected. The rear end came around, and for just a moment it looked as though he might lose it and roll his car - but sadly, he managed to keep it mostly pointed straight and recover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When they say the off ramp is 30mph, it's probably wise to listen.

No idea on specifics, no cops or ambulance was on scene so I must have gotten there long after the fact. Just a lone tow truck operator trying to decide how the gently caress to get this thing back on the round rubber things.

Was half hoping to see "SWIFT" on the side after the earlier conversations about them.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

xzzy posted:

No idea on specifics, no cops or ambulance was on scene so I must have gotten there long after the fact. Just a lone tow truck operator trying to decide how the gently caress to get this thing back on the round rubber things.

Was half hoping to see "SWIFT" on the side after the earlier conversations about them.

Con-way seems to be one of the better companies out there, and their offices were competently staffed whenever I visited them while working for Werner. Surprised to see them in a roll over like that.

Oh and whenever I'm taking a ramp like that in the truck I slow way down and gently caress everyone else, I don't want to flip over like that guy. I can inconvenience someone for 10 extra seconds or shut down a highway for hours and lose my job and or life. 10 seconds it is.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Yer a Chicago guy, right? Take a look sometime at the noise wall on the outside of the ramp from NB I-55 to NB I-294 sometime. DOZENS of scrapes from trucks disregarding the 25mph speed limit (or whatever it is - I don't live there anymore). I'm saw a truck tipped over about 45 degrees leaning on the wall one time a few years ago.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
How absolutely blind do you have to be to drive through a roadblock?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPmhEac6mw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That "Hey, fuckwit!" at the end. :allears:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dc9_1471897294

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=518_1471616285

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I don't even know what to say about this
http://www.wthr.com/article/amazing-video-teen-ejected-from-police-car-during-crash

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Perp seems awfully well versed in getting out of handcuffs. Also, shouldn't he have been liberated of his loving zippo before being stuffed in the back seat?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cop gets a pretty good skid on before he bounces over that curb.

40 hours of autocross for the whole department.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Kid looks like an rear end in a top hat. I declare him guilty.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Rough ride gone wrong?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
"Rough ride" being a "let's do figure eights until he pukes" thing?

Edit: "Let's do gymkhana until he's in a wheelchair", apparently... :( 'murica.

bolind fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 23, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Good morning Spokane!

This was, of course, just before 8 AM this morning, at the intersection of a major E/W through street and the northbound half of the biggest N/S route. When I got there at about ten 'til 8, the container was grounded halfway into the right lane going east, and... uh, well, I was trying to clear the intersection safely with the sun in my eyes and wasn't just loving rubbernecking like *every other single vehicle*, so I dunno if it was blocking all the left lanes under the bridge or not.

I do know the flatbed was stopped maybe fifty feet from the scalping. :unsmigghh:

13 feet, 10 inches, posted all over the bridge itself, and a few blocks back on both sides of the street.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spotted another victim of DRLs and perma-backlit gauges, but probably a new high (low?) score for stupidity. I10W, I think it was somewhere between Palo Verde and Quartzsite, so middle of fuckin' nowhere with zero street lights. Sun completely gone so no ambient light, and cruising at 75+ with no lighting at all from the rear. Couldn't see him at all until you were practically on top of him already.

Amazingly, after the third time I flashed him with the headlights, he actually turned them on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I make the L.A. to Phoenix run fairly often to visit my parents so I get to see all sorts of entertaining and dangerous I-10 shenanigans.

Gotta get the RV to the Rock & Gem show as fast as possible! :corsair: