Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wazzit posted:

Was able to get the beta early, doing some streaming

https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute

Well you're actually wallrunning and using all the mobility available to you so you're already better than all those MLG e-athletes they showed the other day.

For real tho, game looks pretty Shaggy2Dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
Can the thread be renamed already?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Just found out via a Facebook post that my friend is actually a writer for this game. That's right, a writer for Titanfall...

He gave me PS4 code to start playing today, but I haven't touched my PS4 in a while. I assume this means I need to have PS+?

I think its best you just pm me the code, less it go to waste and all.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Antoine Silvere posted:

Even the casters were all "man I would really like to see some wall running!" lol

To be fair the maps really don't seem designed to facilitate wall running, which is bizarre given how integral the mechanic is to the game itself. The original Titanfall had levels that were incredibly easy to wall run through but everything we've seen of the sequel so far has way too many wide open spaces and fields, so there's nothing to actually wall run on in the first place, let alone chain together to build up some decent speed.

I think the only exception is the one city-ish map that's like a miniature Angel City in some kind of broken holo room, but even then there aren't that many buildings and they're spaced so far apart that chaining wall runs isn't as easy or intuitive as it was in the first game. I'm wondering if it's a deliberate design choice to lower the skill ceiling for the game, so new players don't have to deal with vets zooming around chaining wall runs everywhere? It's disappointing because the first game was close to perfect.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Knifegrab posted:

Probably a good idea to say now, don't pre-order. Maybe this game will be like TF1 and will be a blast on PC and will run like a dream. But in case its poo poo don't get burned. No sense in pre-ordering till we know its solid. And as someone who helped lead the charge in TF1 may god be merciful and give us another great titan fall.

Then again Origin has a pretty generous refund policy so I say go for it.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

To be fair the maps really don't seem designed to facilitate wall running, which is bizarre given how integral the mechanic is to the game itself. The original Titanfall had levels that were incredibly easy to wall run through but everything we've seen of the sequel so far has way too many wide open spaces and fields, so there's nothing to actually wall run on in the first place, let alone chain together to build up some decent speed.

I think the only exception is the one city-ish map that's like a miniature Angel City in some kind of broken holo room, but even then there aren't that many buildings and they're spaced so far apart that chaining wall runs isn't as easy or intuitive as it was in the first game. I'm wondering if it's a deliberate design choice to lower the skill ceiling for the game, so new players don't have to deal with vets zooming around chaining wall runs everywhere? It's disappointing because the first game was close to perfect.

:confused: During the stream I saw several pieces of scenery that existed solely for wall-running, lol. Also you can wall run on just about everything, so there's really no reason to not always be wall running.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SUNKOS posted:

What maps have you been looking at?

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
Titanfall 2: I have no walls and I must wallrun

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So this is going to be DOA on PC right ? No test to build hype if its good and battlefield 1 is going to dominate on release... Such a cool concept that is going to waste on PC :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Qmass posted:

So this is going to be DOA on PC right ? No test to build hype if its good and battlefield 1 is going to dominate on release... Such a cool concept that is going to waste on PC :(

I doubt it will be DOA but it might not live long, but I'm hopeful something will happen and it will stay alive for a while. God TF1 was so good.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I'm fairly certain I'll get my money's worth. I'm not worried. I sure as hell am not going to play it on consoles though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why on earth are they releasing this so close to battlefield? EA owns both and could set better release dates

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i usually get my fill of fps mp in the free beta weekends but i hope the sp is decent on this for if i buy it next year or whenever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Digirat posted:

Why on earth are they releasing this so close to battlefield? EA owns both and could set better release dates

cause they hope to take a small chunk of cod sales from idiots wrapped up in the trailer hate, dudes who can't wait a week to buy the game they really want, etc.

they had a contract for the game, the money was probably already invested, may as well use it strategically to flood the market with future shooters ahead of your rivals most important title of the year.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:siren: Keffiyehbot is not the only playable robot, there is a second playable robot :siren:

Giant Bomb has 80 minutes or so of gameplay here, the second robot shows up at around 45:00 or so. It's bright red and a bit more slender/feminine-looking. There's also a dude with a belt cape and a badass Techmarine servo-arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hJrOQgF2A

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 18, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I hope Titanfall 2 isn't DOA on PC. I'm planning to make this my Multiplayer shooter of the year and pick BF1 up at a later date, probably after they've flushed all that DLC through their systems and everything I've seen looks incredibly fun. The new Battlefield looks good too, but also not divergent enough from 4 whereas all the additions to TF2 look like they really shake things up a notch.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Knifegrab posted:

Probably a good idea to say now, don't pre-order. Maybe this game will be like TF1 and will be a blast on PC and will run like a dream. But in case its poo poo don't get burned. No sense in pre-ordering till we know its solid. And as someone who helped lead the charge in TF1 may god be merciful and give us another great titan fall.

Let me tell you about the mistakes I've already made.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Digirat posted:

At a guess: BF does better on PCs and Titanfall sold better (and had a more viable player base) on consoles. They probably don't really see them as competing, since they appeal to different markets. That's one of the reasons they never really bothered to nerf the shotgun/satchel combo: it was only a problem on PC where fast movement and twitch-mousing meant you could OHK anyone within reach. Console players never developed a meta like that because their control-scheme didn't really allow for it.

This is my biggest worry, because I really enjoyed the Tribes-like speed of movement that parkouring around the maps provided. Dumbing all of that down, since the console players never figured out that TF was more than "CoD with Mechs," seems likely. Even more so when you see a bunch of streamers who can't figure out that there even is a jump button...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

dreffen posted:

Let me tell you about the mistakes I've already made.

If it gets you to play games with us again make all the mistakes you want baby.

Edit: This applies to an2 as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone else know how the hell they got the Source engine looking so good? I remember playing TF1 and it never felt or looked like lovely Source.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

ninjahedgehog posted:

:siren: Keffiyehbot is not the only playable robot, there is a second playable robot :siren:

Giant Bomb has 80 minutes or so of gameplay here, the second robot shows up at around 45:00 or so. It's bright red and a bit more slender/feminine-looking. There's also a dude with a belt cape and a badass Techmarine servo-arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hJrOQgF2A

Ability and appearance are tied together? Why? It's not like the guy with the robo arm looks like he is stealthy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Carecat posted:

Ability and appearance are tied together? Why? It's not like the guy with the robo arm looks like he is stealthy.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird design decision to me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Carecat posted:

Though in some ways it sucks, its good in another because it means you know how to engage someone once you see who they are.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Carecat posted:

I have to choose between stim and grapple? gently caress this game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carecat posted:

I really hope we get more pilot customizations than just these base models, and I hope the game isn't tied down to those models with the abilities because I want to play dress up drat it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Carecat posted:

Anecdotal but I feel like a lot of games have been trending towards this recently, especially since Overwatch came out

It annoys the hell out of me because I hate being restricted on how I look based on what equipment/skills I pick :mad:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hopefully we can all customize our waifu titans.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Haven't watched any recent videos, is the smart pistol back?

I loved the smart pistol. :shobon:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

Well isn't that confirmed? Don't you get Titan skins when you pre-order?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snuffman posted:

Haven't watched any recent videos, is the smart pistol back?

I loved the smart pistol. :shobon:

God I hope so but I don't think I've seen it yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember that they said in some earlier Q&A that it'll be back, but changed in some way.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
From what I've played so far I'm not really a big fan of this Bounty Hunt mode. They've made some additions from the earlier builds I played such as the bounty system between players and the bank system, but the scoring system still seems a little confusing and I feel like most of the action seems to take place away from the AI spawn, which is where you earn most of your points? Also doing most of the damage on an AI Titan only to have an enemy fire one last bullet to finish it off and get the bounty feels really cheap, in the old build you had to execute or rodeo the titan to earn the bounty kill, no idea why they left that out.

I hope Attrition or some version of it is going to be in this game, I can't see myself playing this game mode too often, I'd even rather play Hard point than this.

Knifegrab posted:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160817005854/en/Buffalo-Wild-Wings-Partners-Electronic-Arts-Respawn

From the picture in this article it looks like you can at least put some kind of skin on it. :allears:

e: added pic

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The only skin I want for my titan is human

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Anecdotal but I feel like a lot of games have been trending towards this recently, especially since Overwatch came out

It annoys the hell out of me because I hate being restricted on how I look based on what equipment/skills I pick :mad:

It's been around for a long time, but Team Fortress 2 set a standard for recognizable class designs in recent history. Then they hosed it all up by releasing five billion hats and all the rest of that junk.

Knifegrab posted:

Though in some ways it sucks, its good in another because it means you know how to engage someone once you see who they are.

This is the basic rationale. It conveys information to the player that can make the actual gameplay more fun and skillful. Whether that's a worthwhile tradeoff is partially a matter of taste and partially a matter of what the rest of the game is like. My sense is that Titanfall is so fast-paced that those kinds of visual cues aren't tremendously helpful, but maybe I'm just a bad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Got into the ps4 tech test early, should be playing lots tonight.

Been playing for a bit now, willing to answer any questions if anyone has em

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 19, 2016

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You can use the slide to maintain some speed and momentum between moves when there's no walls around.

Wazzit posted:

From what I've played so far I'm not really a big fan of this Bounty Hunt mode.

I hope Attrition or some version of it is going to be in this game, I can't see myself playing this game mode too often, I'd even rather play Hard point than this.

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition. Hopefully the team at Respawn see how much everyone hates it and bring back Attrition, but they may have paid too much attention to the people who never played the original game and complained about all the AI enemies in the levels. I was hoping that we'd see more of that stuff in the sequel (where are the turrets to capture?) and not less. I've no idea why they're pushing the Pilot vs. Pilot mode either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

You can use the slide to maintain some speed and momentum between moves when there's no walls around.

Can you still do the thing where you keep your momentum if you jump at just the right time or is that out?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Can you still do the thing where you keep your momentum if you jump at just the right time or is that out?

The bunny hopping? I hope this is back but I didn't see the Giant Bomb guys do it once.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition. Hopefully the team at Respawn see how much everyone hates it and bring back Attrition, but they may have paid too much attention to the people who never played the original game and complained about all the AI enemies in the levels. I was hoping that we'd see more of that stuff in the sequel (where are the turrets to capture?) and not less. I've no idea why they're pushing the Pilot vs. Pilot mode either.
Having mobs of AI running around was one of my favourite parts of Titanfall 1 and if they severely cut down on that I'm gonna be real disappointed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Insert name here posted:

Having mobs of AI running around was one of my favourite parts of Titanfall 1 and if they severely cut down on that I'm gonna be real disappointed :(

Agreed