Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Van sat at the bottom of the Adsorption Gate playing the background music on a giant bad guy organ.

He's my favourite Tales villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:agreed:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Same here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What's the competition even

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
van is a super cool villain

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Calaveron posted:

Richter the jealous ex-boyfriend

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Colonel posted:

van is a super cool villain

He was preceded by Mithos and succeeded by a game no one even played.
I guess the Vesperia guy was kinda cool but not really because I can't even remember his name, and Lambda was loving atrocious.
I admit I know nothing of Xilia and I only know very little of what'shisface from Zestiria but I hear he's real poo poo too
I guess Dhaos was cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like Miktran almost solely because of sky racism.

Van is definitely the best. All Tales games have good characterization but I feel like Abyss was one of the few to marry that with an overall interesting plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Gaius did nothing wrong :colbert:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Gaius is cool but not as a villain so by default Van wins. Nobody else would even really be competition.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
if anything, Dhaos has a sick rear end coat

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Emeraude is actually the villain of Graces, not Lambda.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Asbel's stupidity is actually the villain of Graces, not Lambda.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if asbel's mopiness is the villain of graces, then they sure did make a short tales game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Colonel posted:

if asbel's mopiness is the villain of graces, then they sure did make a short tales game

Stupidity, not mopiness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dhaos and shizel are cool

i kinda like hugo just because he's such a scumbag and also makes dick jokes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Early impressions of Berseria (will try to avoid spoilers):

I'm not prepared to say it's a complete return to form yet, because I haven't even gotten to the revelation, but it's an extremely promising start.

The story has that nice "wanted outlaws against the world" starting feel you may remember from the beginning of Rebirth, Vesperia, or Xillia. So the characters are largely self-driven and do a lot of strategizing and scheming, which I like. Two separate ship-related capers have already ended in explosions, which is a good return from endless trials and aimless dungeon crawling. All the characters also have their own agendas, reasons, and secrets, rather than being blandly on board with the One Way. Like, we kind of just set up Eizen and Rokurou with their own individual reasons to go to Lohgres with Velvet.

Oh, the Velvet/Rokurou team you spend a while with is fine, because Rokurou is a good foil to Velvet's "whatever" attitude. That could have gone wrong very easily. Kind of like that stretch of Graces where it's just Asbel, Sophie, and Asbel's damage.

Some specific, but I hope non-spoilery, story comments:

The anti-Shepherd at the beginning is strong, as expected. I don't remember specifics but there's a lot of dehumanizing daemons and a bit of "death is better than suffering," and it's broadly supposed to be callous, especially since you are daemons with legitimate grievances against the Greater Good. I'm not making a value judgment on that yet, because it's not like I liked Destiny 2 retroactively, but it caught my attention. One NPC specifically talks about how you might as well put a daemon down because they're monsters but also because it's so awful that they can never be human again, and there is a palpable and deliberate air of tragic irony around Velvet when it happens. It's the other side of the Zestiria coin I was always happy to see, but we'll see how it goes forward.

Most of these RPGs would reveal in the middle that the villain has some sort of big Freudian tragedy that makes them so mad at the world, in an attempt to humanize them after they have been Literally Space Satan/Hitler. Berseria tells you what Artorius' damage is almost immediately, and then lets his philosophy itself and his relationship with Velvet carry him forward, which is incredibly refreshing. What's not clear is the details of what he did, I suppose. (Seres' thing is, likewise, pretty straightforward, the better to milk whatever is going on between her and Velvet in the future, I assume.)

Gameplay - combat is okay. It's not good, but I know for a fact that it hasn't really opened up yet because I played the demo. The demo had room to go up, but Berseria has a really bad start because you get, I think, five base artes and one arcane to go on. I guess that's normal for Tales games where you start with two attacks and one arte.

As a result, Velvet is the most fun by a mile purely on the strength of Consume Claw, which is both very good and very satisfying; however, it takes a while to get it and that period kind of sucks, especially since it's when you have the fewest normal artes. Consume Claw kind of alleviates the arte issue because it's a solid move you can use at any time while the normal grid is fighting with the fact that there's just not much or much good to really color it in with yet, and it's fun to use in itself. I don't know if it's the sound or what but the first claw strike hits with a delicious crunch and all the finisher artes are very cool. This was true in the demo but I didn't really lean on it as much in the demo.

Footnote: Do not trust the AI with Consume Claw. I switched to Rokurou for, like, five minutes, and Velvet consistently lit all her HP on fire for several encounters in a row. I think Laphicet helps.

The stages are, again, good. Well, they're probably as good as especially good Xillia stages. I've been through two honest to god military facilities already so I'm feeling better about them than literally anything in Zestiria so far. There's something other than endless, nondescript old temples, plus stuff actually happens in towns. I mean, there was only one town event so far, but it was a good one. Please look forward to it.

I think I'm 7 or 8 hours into Berseria and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Will continue reporting.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want to play it. Do we know anything about the localization except that it's coming?

Kinda wish we could get a Vesperia 2.0 where the game came out within a month in both territories.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'early 2017' release date. we'll have a dub cast confirmed in a few weeks probably, since funimation is simuldubbing the anime and they got the zesty dub cast back in its entirety

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Despite using a very different and less official-ish script, which should be interesting for all involved. I think Daisuki is the one that has actual cooperation from Bandai-Namco. I've been wondering for a while now if Funi is really going to just have the actors call everything by different names.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Despite using a very different and less official-ish script, which should be interesting for all involved. I think Daisuki is the one that has actual cooperation from Bandai-Namco. I've been wondering for a while now if Funi is really going to just have the actors call everything by different names.

the dubs for the first 3 or so episodes are actually up on funimation's site, if you want to watch. no need for a subscription or anything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Saw the first fight against Oscar, and it was a minor shock: He uses a few of Sorey's artes, specifically Tiger Blade, Wolfwind Fang and Heavenly Torrent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I changed Velvet out of her stupid belt vampire clothes and back into her village girl A clothes as soon as I could, but NPCs keep asking her if she's cold in that getup and stuff.

Edit: it's not limited to this game but why do footstep sounds have to be the loudest thing in RPGs these days? I started playing with headphones but had to stop because the sound was too distracting.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Van was the best, as was the evil-rivals team. Monster Girl, Guy With Mask, Girl With Guns - they're all cool archtypes that you don't have, but which show up in other games a lot.

Abyss is the best Tales game. Symphonia is the most Teen Titans one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it also has Asch, a wonderful character who i am unsure why he doesnt top the popularity poll's

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Skychrono posted:

Van was the best, as was the evil-rivals team. Monster Girl, Guy With Mask, Girl With Guns - they're all cool archtypes that you don't have, but which show up in other games a lot.

Abyss is the best Tales game. Symphonia is the most Teen Titans one.

don't leave out DIST THE ROSE

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel posted:

Or Largo! He was pretty cool!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The Colonel posted:

You mean Dist the Runny.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Yeah, they're all great! I was talking about fun archtypes... anime MODOK isn't quite that, but he was still great.

The "evil team" from Xillia just kinda petered out unfortunately.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Skychrono posted:

Yeah, they're all great! I was talking about fun archtypes... anime MODOK isn't quite that, but he was still great.

The "evil team" from Xillia just kinda petered out unfortunately.

One of the thing that really helped the villain team in Abyss is how long the game was. It meant you could easily have the same villains appear again and again and again and again and again, instead of in Xillia where most of them peters out very quickly (though they do have sidequests about them).

OTOH?

The Two Idiots in Vesperia >>>>>>>>> That Abyss villain team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but nobody is better than tweedle dee and tweedle dum

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well at the very least the game isnt being poo poo bombed in amazon reviews so thats a positive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if it was being shitbombed in amazon reviews that wouldn't really be a sign of anything wrong with it. Like half the review bombing of Zesty was because it was a 'homo game.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 1-star reviews for berseria that exist on amazon, are also people bitching about zestiria being a homogame, and also one guy who wrote a giant thing about xillia 2 for some reason (note that there are some spoilers so if you know jp i wouldn't recommend looking them up)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

quite honestly, i wouldnt care about the reviews of a game on amazon.jp even if they weren't just angry nerds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

quite honestly, i wouldnt care about the reviews of a game on amazon.jp even if they weren't just angry nerds

i think sometimes they can be helpful, like when they consistently mention an actual concrete issue that can be further evidenced by looking it up, like the camera issues in Zesty or something.

It's when you actually try to get a feel for something like how good the plot is from them that you're a bit of a weirdo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

true, as a dude who can't read japanese i was more thinking about the numerical side

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah, review scores mean less than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

also the 1-star reviews for berseria that exist on amazon, are also people bitching about zestiria being a homogame, and also one guy who wrote a giant thing about xillia 2 for some reason (note that there are some spoilers so if you know jp i wouldn't recommend looking them up)

The Xillia 2 rant isn't mine I swear.