Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So it was just straight up jail. Not even an asylum. Just Jail.

edit: Just in case people have to watch it later.

No.1 Special fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah I don't think anyone called prison.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tenzarin posted:

They really let the prisoners run some crazy websites in the library!

He's probably a guard

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good episode, what the gently caress is gonna happen in the remaining 4 episodes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

No.1 Special posted:

So it was just straight up jail. Not even an asylum. Just Jail.

But what for? Not killing Tyrell (but he may have done that - I don't think he did though) since everyone thinks he's on the run. And this pretty much rules out that he killed the guy in his garden (but Mr Robot could have ordered it)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

timp on 8/11 posted:

Actually it's just a solitary confinement room in the Institution.

Personally I think we'll be getting a reveal on this in the next episode.

sha-booyaka

Not an institution, but close enough. I wonder what in particular he's in for?

Just like the Tyler Durden reveal from last season, it was amazing to watch despite being pretty sure it was going to happen. Good episode, loved seeing Angela start flexing a bit, and Ray was fantastic in his last scene

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Can't wait for the Suits/Mr. Robot crossover episode where Elliott and Mike end up cellmates.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Roargasm posted:

He's probably a guard

This makes the most sense.

I'll take it the letter is his notice of release and White Rose pulled some sort of strings to maneuver his release. Leon was enlisted to protect him inside.

Only reason I can think he'd be in jail, since it's obviously not for 5/9, is killing Tyrell. But then you've got Tyrell's wife and the divorce paper plus the gifts she keeps receiving so who knows.

edit: And given what we know of Mr. Robot we have no reason to assume he told Eliot the truth about Tyrell, he may have just told him what he wants to hear so they can work together to get out of the situation.

Double edit: Oh poo poo I forgot all about Shayla. His finger prints were probably all over that car or maybe he got pinned to the prison break?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 18, 2016

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Just dropping by to say I really liked season one, this show really nails home at times how the future is here, except out of all the possible futures we rolled with Cyberpunk Dystopia.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So was there really a silk road and it was a guard/warden(who has a dog in a prison? not a guard) running it that he let the non corrupt guards onto and got him in trouble?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

I'll take it the letter is his notice of release and White Rose pulled some sort of strings to maneuver his release. Leon was enlisted to protect him inside.

Only reason I can think he'd be in jail, since it's obviously not for 5/9, is killing Tyrell. But then you've got Tyrell's wife and the divorce paper plus the gifts she keeps receiving so who knows.

edit: And given what we know of Mr. Robot we have no reason to assume he told Eliot the truth about Tyrell, he may have just told him what he wants to hear so they can work together to get out of the situation.

Double edit: Oh poo poo I forgot all about Shayla. His finger prints were probably all over that car or maybe he got pinned to the prison break?

He was caught because of the dog.

In fact we the viewer are the dog.

We turned in Mr Robot.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone getting the sense that Joanna hasn't just lost it in the sense of being an amoral calculating monster but in a far deeper way?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

So was there really a silk road and it was a guard/warden(who has a dog in a prison? not a guard) running it that he let the non corrupt guards onto and got him in trouble?

Warden is making rounds again, hes gonna change us with good talking.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
So the 90's flashback was an escape mechanism not merely due to the attack but also "the whole rape thing"? I might've misheard, but it sounded like he said that. :smith:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

geeves posted:

But what for? Not killing Tyrell (but he may have done that - I don't think he did though) since everyone thinks he's on the run. And this pretty much rules out that he killed the guy in his garden (but Mr Robot could have ordered it)

He got caught hacking because Estonia collapsed. The weird rear end scene with Krista's scummy boyfriend that opened last season's final episode finally pays off!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

Here's my current interpretation of how the show-runners are handling this season.
Knowing full well that they got to keep a couple of great twists with season 1 - with Darlene the sister, Mr. Robot being Elliot's dad, and Elliot being Mr. Robot - they knew they'd need a new twist for this season. Wellick being dead is the obvious twist that is meant to throw off your usual brain dead viewer. "Oh, I bet because of this, that, and the other, Wellick is dead. It's taking so long to get to that point, it must be the twist." Meanwhile, Elliot "living with his mom" is the not-so-obvious twist that everyone in here already gets but the typical viewer doesn't come close to knowing. I know this because everyone I've talked to who isn't in this thread has no idea what I'm talking about but when I show them some evidence, they agree it's a viable twist. This is exactly like Season 1 when everyone was making the assumption that Mr. Robot was in his head vs Mr. Robot is Elliot's dad. The brain dead audience was guessing Mr. Robot was Elliot's dad (though the Darlene twist caught everyone off guard and I hope Season 2 manages to have a similar substantial twist that we haven't guessed) but they weren't thinking that he was in Elliot's head, yet in this thread everyone was guessing Fight Club Syndrome very quickly.

That's just one angle on the season but it makes the most sense to me. I just wish Esmail wasn't so intensely married to having the characters looking the wrong way off-screen during dialog scenes. It works great when used sparingly but this season has been overkill with it. Outside of that, the use of space and size of frame is still rather good.
Pretty much nailed it (thanks to the original theorists in this thread, of course) but then, what's the "Darlene is his sister" twist gonna be this season? Was it that White Rose had Elliot being watched?

All that said, we still have no idea why he's in prison (but it must be hacking related if the Warden/Guard Ray knew about Elliot, right?) we have no idea how White Rose and Price are connected, and we have no idea why Angela completely hosed up and made it so obvious what she was after. Jeez.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Warden actually had recruited him to run his home-made silk road, which means Elliot really did blow open that whole thing to the public, which also explains why they are releasing him from prison early; he did a very good deed. This episode put to bed a lot of quirks about Ray, especially if you watch the episode a second time.

How he found and knew about Eliot's skills? He read his file. Who has a huge American flag in their office? A warden. The window looks like prison bars too. When he kept Elliot locked in the basement, that was solitary confinement. We all know big, bald rough dude was a guard.

And that lovely lovely hospital we all inwardly questioned ourselves about that Elliot woke up in. Who keeps a hospital that filthy? A prison.

Elliot told us that everything we saw actually happened. The only real changes we need to make aside from setting it all in a prison was Elliot wearing an orange jump suit the whole time and the muscle wearing a guard's uniform. The rapey thugs in orange too. Well, body bags now but eh. :v:

:allears: gently caress I love this show.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Uuh that was pretty loving well-executed reveal. And we get 5 (the finale being a double, it seems) more episodes of Elliott on the outside now.

Also, gently caress censorship. You can't say "gently caress", but you sure can say the n-word, show brutal killings, and a knife being stomped into a guy's rear end in a top hat, though!

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

All Angela's scenes are shot incredibly.

This to the 9th power. The cinematography of those scenes is on point.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tenzarin posted:

They really let the prisoners run some crazy websites in the library!

Guard. Had to be. They beat him and put him in the pit.
[or Warden, yes. Just not s prisoner, obvs.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 18, 2016

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

CalvinandHobbes posted:

This to the 9th power. The cinematography of those scenes is on point.

The scene where Evil Corp dude asked her our to dinner was amazing. Something about how she kept a perfectly profile angle while rejecting a soon-to-be-sulking billionaire in front of his million dollar painting just hit so perfectly.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

ultramiraculous posted:

The scene where Evil Corp dude asked her our to dinner was amazing. Something about how she kept a perfectly profile angle while rejecting a soon-to-be-sulking billionaire in front of his million dollar painting just hit so perfectly.

I find all of the scenes with Angela just so unnerving so they are clearly doing something right.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the dual-reveal format of one being surprising and the other being less surprising/misdirection. It fits really well with the themes of the show. It was easy to tell Elliot wasn't staying where he said he was (though we didn't know specifically it was prison, or that it was him deliberately keeping it from us instead of denial), but the reveal of Leon being DarkArmy was great. Still can't believe this is Joey Badass's first acting job, he's really good.

I had a half-realization when Ray called the basement "the hole" though. They just threw him in solitary for a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Angela showing her hand so stupidly in that meeting drove me mad. Sure, the dude already knew but seriously?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I like the dual-reveal format of one being surprising and the other being less surprising/misdirection. It fits really well with the themes of the show. It was easy to tell Elliot wasn't staying where he said he was (though we didn't know specifically it was prison, or that it was him deliberately keeping it from us instead of denial), but the reveal of Leon being DarkArmy was great. Still can't believe this is Joey Badass's first acting job, he's really good.

I had a half-realization when Ray called the basement "the hole" though. They just threw him in solitary for a while.

I think the bigger "twist" is that Elliot is in prison at all. We still don't know what he was in there for.

The big tipoff for me that Elliot was in jail rather than an asylum was the scene where Leon kills the inmates, which was shot to look like a prison shanking.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What a show this is. :love:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I audibly shouted at the Leon reveal, god drat that was great.

The institution reveal wasn't surprising (although incarceration rather than a psychiatric ward was) but my favorite thing was the justification for it -- Elliot started off this this season explicitly telling us he didn't trust us. He went through a lot and now that he's found a equilibrium between himself and Mr. Robot he can trust us too.

I was worried about how the reveal would go but I think they did a great job.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HorseRenoir posted:

The big tipoff for me that Elliot was in jail rather than an asylum was the scene where Leon kills the inmates, which was shot to look like a prison shanking.

The show pretty expertly let's "you" work it all out when it wants to, with the reveal being there just to cement things. I'd like to think even if we didn't have the asylum idea in our heads already, that particular part would've set off alarm bells and things would've fallen into place.

Whoever spotted the light fixture stuff originally has an awesome eye. Unless they knew from people working on the show that is, but that was an insanely good catch. It's pretty rad that that was the tool used for the reveal too, without them making a big deal of it. Excellent detail work.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

EL BROMANCE posted:

Angela showing her hand so stupidly in that meeting drove me mad. Sure, the dude already knew but seriously?

It's part of Angela's inner rationalizing. She has value, ECORP recognizes it, and they like her. Time and time again she's has poo poo thrown back at her by ECORP people but if she shows them her value it's bound to make them like her.

Also she wants to get access those files but her 'inner truth' definitely factors into her actions.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emmy's for everyone.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Living near Boston, I had people like those directors as bosses and colleagues in retail and production.

Thanks for the reminder to never go back, Mr. Robot!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 18, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Prison was obvious the second the scary white dudes turned up.

jongp4
Jul 7, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Why would that be the only reason you can think of? Why would it be a reason at all? We have already seen the press new reports that they are looking for Tyrell, so if the police knew he was murdered why would the news be reporting they are looking for him. That seems like the least likely reason he would be in jail. Especially if he has received his discharge papers so soon.

There are a number of things that happened in Season 1 so any number of those could have been the reason. But as someone else already commented we were reminded that in the Season 1 Final Krista's Affair lover met up with her and wanted to pursue Elliot on criminal charges. I think this is most likely the reason. Hence why Krista is probably still visiting him. I very seriously doubt she would be doing any therapy type sessions in an open visitation area.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My only complaint about this season so far has been the plot line with Tyrrell's wife who I am continuing to struggle to give a poo poo about. It better be heading towards some payoff soon, otherwise I have no idea what they have been building towards.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

jongp4 posted:

I very seriously doubt she would be doing any therapy type sessions in an open visitation area.

In fact one of the twists could be that Krista is trying to keep tabs on him and keep him off the streets. If her advice was to not try to rid himself of Mr. Robot, maybe she is actively working to keep him institutionalized? Since the theme this season has been who can you trust, and it shows that he trusting Krista with Mr. Robot (but not with us), perhaps that trust is going to be misplaced.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
The Michael Hansen(Lenny Shannon) hack has got to be the reason Eliot is in jail, nothing else quite makes sense.

eta- To elaborate its the only crime that was minor enough to get out this soon, and the guy was trying to get Eliot for it already.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 18, 2016

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's part of Angela's inner rationalizing. She has value, ECORP recognizes it, and they like her. Time and time again she's has poo poo thrown back at her by ECORP people but if she shows them her value it's bound to make them like her.

Also she wants to get access those files but her 'inner truth' definitely factors into her actions.

I have to disagree with the people here who are saying Angela misstepped in the last episode. Don't forget what happened earlier with Dom - Angela, Darlene, and f-society are beginning to realize that they're in over their head without Elliot, and specifically to Angela, that one of them is already under suspicion with the FBI. Why is she under suspicion? She stepped away from Allsafe to E-corp one week before 5/9 - one week before the hack. She then gets noticed on a restricted floor, where she's not supposed to be, right before the FBI is hacked.

Angela needs a reason for her move to E-corp. Her moves immediately after her meet with Dom are laughably transparent. She's made her motives clear to her execs. That being said, I still don't know her real reason for working at E-Corp. She also must have a reason for switching to the Risk Division, besides what's been shown already.

Also loving the cinematography. Interesting to see the contrast in Angela this last episode and the last time Price asked her out. Also noticing Angela seems to only dress in black and white now. 1 = white; 0 = black?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best twist this season is that Ray didn't look at the website either and was glad that he got caught. :unsmith:

Redemption!

jongp4
Jul 7, 2008

Phummus posted:

In fact one of the twists could be that Krista is trying to keep tabs on him and keep him off the streets. If her advice was to not try to rid himself of Mr. Robot, maybe she is actively working to keep him institutionalized? Since the theme this season has been who can you trust, and it shows that he trusting Krista with Mr. Robot (but not with us), perhaps that trust is going to be misplaced.

I get where you are going with that idea but I don't buy into it. He is in straight up jail not an institution they don't jail people for just being crazy. So for her being his therapist to be having some say in him staying there seems a little far fetched to me. I would be pretty surprised if she had some bigger role in this whole plot but definitely could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea that he's in there for hacking Krista's former boyfriend.

Or, more specifically, it may have something to do with stealing his dog. Is that a crime? If so it seems like exactly the kind of small time crime Elliot would want to be pegged for in order to essentially institutionalize himself for a brief period of time.

• Locked thread