Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Yeah, all the spoiler tagged stuff is S2E6 stuff. Also Yooyoung's career as an announcer basically tanked after this, as far as I know.

Also it's time for the picture

Exercu fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sangmin definitely gets a pass for the stuff he pulls because of his reputation outside of the show and because he never really screws people over the way Jiwon and Yooyoung did. He makes big, bold moves and is always entertaining, so as mean as he is, he is playing the game they way they wanted him to.

His thing with the fake token of immortality was just another thing on the pile of mean stuff thrown at Dohee that episode, but that at least was used as intended by the producers. If that had been used in any other episode, it would have been straight up hilarious.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 18, 2016

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Man i love getting to experience it all again vicariously. I miss this show.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just found this thread, read the OP, watched season 1 episode 1, had my mind blown at how good the show is. I'm watching it with a friend (remotely) and we kept texting throughout the whole thing.

Oh that guy is an idiot
Yeah he doesn't know what's going on
Or does he? Hmmm....

* later interview
"I wish I could be competing in the deathmatch position...but I can't...because I'm first."

gently caress I LOVE THIS GUY NOW

I don't have a grip on everyone's names yet, but of the ones I remember:

Swunggu (something like that?) - Supervillain idiot
Jinho - Naive idiot
Junseok - Smart but also naive idiot
Gura - Mafia guy
Minseo - Almost eliminated girl

There's also evil ponytail girl who we liked but whose name we can't remember at all, and Garnet Guy who orchestrated the garnet trade by Minseo.

About to start episode 2 now.

Ps - Is posting about experiences watching earlier seasons allowed? I realise I'm soooooooo far behind atm. If it's discouraged I'll stop and edit/delete this post.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The show is over so the only joy we get it watching others experience it. Someone else is currently on season 2 in this thread. Please post!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Oh Emmy, my sweet summer child. :negative:

The lost ID picture is still as perfect as I remember though.

Max posted:

Sangmin definitely gets a pass for the stuff he pulls because of his reputation outside of the show and because he never really screws people over the way Jiwon and Yooyoung did. He makes big, bold moves and is always entertaining, so as mean as he is, he is playing the game they way they wanted him to.

Sangmin's really good at making his betrayals not feel personal and he's good at making peace with his victims so it's hard to hold things against him. Also he does it all the drat time so people should kind of know better than to trust him "You trusted the guy who betrays people all the time, what exactly did you expect would happen?".

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, I was also a Eunkyul fan, but I'm fully open to the possibility that it's just because I find him cute for some reason I still do not understand. He was definitely in the broadcaster alliance, which was disappointing behavior.
I thought he was actually the first to call out that alliance and take a shot at it, when he leaked information on his team and made his one request that they put Jiwon into the death match? At the time some of the viewers in the thread were kind of like what's that guy's deal, and then later on realized what had been going on.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Elite posted:

Sangmin's really good at making his betrayals not feel personal and he's good at making peace with his victims so it's hard to hold things against him. Also he does it all the drat time so people should kind of know better than to trust him "You trusted the guy who betrays people all the time, what exactly did you expect would happen?".
If I remember correctly, he also straight up warned Doohee a couple times not to trust him, and also not to put his fate in any one player's hands.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Fast Luck posted:

I thought he was actually the first to call out that alliance and take a shot at it, when he leaked information on his team and made his one request was that they put Jiwon into the death match? At the time some of the viewers in the thread were kind of like what's that guy's deal, and then later on realized what had been going on.

Yes. Eunkyul wasn't very good at the games, and he didn't execute his move very well, but he still gets points for recognizing the alliance and attempting to do something about it.

Here lies Eunkyul
At least he tried

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Varam posted:

Yes. Eunkyul wasn't very good at the games, and he didn't execute his move very well, but he still gets points for recognizing the alliance and attempting to do something about it.

Here lies Eunkyul
At least he tried

He also had style!

eta- for more content have this with bonus Gura!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXF0DVQgFtM

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 18, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I will start spoilering my Season Two reactions for the benefit of my hombre who is working through Season One at the moment! With respect to the immortality token I totally agree with Max. Considering the token came with both a real and fake copy it's clear that what Sangmin did was intended to be done it's just a shame that he did it when he did. Also nothing Sangmin does ever really comes across as spiteful or nasty whereas the Doohee incident like most people said was bullying pure and simple.

I didn't dislike Eunkyul but for the most part he just kind of seemed to be there until his big moment. Of course sweet bouy Jinho kept his promise and did all he could to help Eunkyul. Also if anyone can confirm/deny Doohee/Jinho pals for life let me know.

I will always be a sweet summer child when it comes to believing in Jinho :saddowns: He is looking noticeably slimmer this season and I just started watching the Season 1 BTS and he was slagged for being chubby! How famouse are pro-Starcraft Players in Korea? Was he famous?

For the guy watching from Season 1 and struggling with the names then this is all you need. I still mixed up Changyeop/Sunggyu and Yuram/Jungmoon a lot though. Also Sunggyu is a prince and there is nothing more beautiful than the bond of musicianship, that's all you need to know for the first season.

The Season 2 one is here also when you need it

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't remember where it was but for season 2 episode 6 Dohee claimed on social media that after the episode aired, he realized how much Jinho had done for him (since a lot of it was in different rooms.) in the next episode right at the beginning they mention that they went out drinking together. I think they are still friends.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jinho was very famous. He was the second best player in the world when Starcraft was at its popular peak (Yohwan was #1), and at that time Starcraft dwarfed the rest of the pro gaming scene too. Big stuff in Korea. But he'd been out of the spotlight for awhile since his peak was a decade ago even at the time.

He's def irl friends with Doohee. There was some video bumdi put up (i live alone?) that was a show basically about how Jinho lives, and in it he calls up his buds and they go out. I think it was Doohee and Yohwan and his wife that came out? Anyway they're friends

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Emmy, at some point you should watch crime scene for some extra Jinho action. He really shines on that show.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was going to ask what Korean shows to watch next because I was hoping there were more kind of thoughtful puzzle based gameshows! Is it allso Bumpy subbed? Glad to hear that my main babes are all pals after the show! As always the thing that impresses me most about Jinho is sticking to his promises and beating the games by thinking about the rules carefully as oppossed to craftiness and being a slippery snake. He and Sangmin really are the polar opposite competitors.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The best part is that both paths are legitimate ways to play, as long as they both have big moments and reveals to back it up.

Yes, Crime Scene is another bumdi sub. Most say to skip ahead in season 1 to the prison episode (I think the 6th episode?) then go from there. They were working out the formula for the show as they went along.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah I like to watch things through and I don't mind watching some teething episodes to get to the good stuff. Also I meant to say that the ID reaction image is incredible and the Yohwan and Kyungran ones are so perfect it hurts.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Crime scene starts a bit shaky, yeah. In the beginning they dedicate two episodes to each case, which is really slow. Fourth case onward, each case is one episode. Season 2 of crime scene is fantastic, but s3 of the genius is mandatory viewing beforehand, as an alumnus of genius s3 joins the crime scene cast

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There was a weird variety show where I-wanna-say-it's-Gura drives a taxi, and he takes Jinho around and they pick up Sangmin and Doohee. I think that's how it went. There's a glorious screencap of Sangmin's :wtf:van from that show.

And Emmy, you still have two more seasons of Genius to get through! But just about everybody in this thread will recommend Crime Scene, and they are right to do it. The first...4? 6? episodes split each case into two parts, which was an annoying format which they immediately fixed, so if you watch episode one and it feels like it's dragging, skip to the latter part of the season.

A lot of people will say to just start with season 2, but there are some recurring cast members and the way they're interacting by the end of season one sets up some relationships/rivalries that get referenced later on. I think the show is awesome as soon as it's down to one episode per case.

You will also recognize some Genius people :3:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
ALSO!

If you like just plain silly stuff, check out Running Man! TVIV Thread

The second post has some recommendations for getting started, especially because there are so many drat episodes, but I think the first 20-25 are worth watching in a row, again because they establish relationships and recurring storylines that sort of become character traits. The cast members are half-themselves, half-what-Running-Man-has-decided-they-are.

The show is much, much different now from what it used to be, just because 6 years in they're working hard to avoid becoming stale (and in places, it absolutely becomes either stale or try-hard). But, that first half-year kind of shows why it's had such staying power.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Propaganda Machine posted:

There was a weird variety show where I-wanna-say-it's-Gura drives a taxi, and he takes Jinho around and they pick up Sangmin and Doohee. I think that's how it went. There's a glorious screencap of Sangmin's :wtf:van from that show.

And Emmy, you still have two more seasons of Genius to get through! But just about everybody in this thread will recommend Crime Scene, and they are right to do it. The first...4? 6? episodes split each case into two parts, which was an annoying format which they immediately fixed, so if you watch episode one and it feels like it's dragging, skip to the latter part of the season.

A lot of people will say to just start with season 2, but there are some recurring cast members and the way they're interacting by the end of season one sets up some relationships/rivalries that get referenced later on. I think the show is awesome as soon as it's down to one episode per case.

You will also recognize some Genius people :3:

If you skip Crime Scene season one you don't get the glory that is Hyunmoo.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Zythrst posted:

If you skip Crime Scene season one you don't get the glory that is Hyunmoo.

But if you skip the first half of season one, you don't get Henry, which is good for your mental wellbeing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Exercu posted:

But if you skip the first half of season one, you don't get Henry, which is good for your mental wellbeing.

Yup, Henry is amazing!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, 100% going to work through them after I catch up on The Genius! At what point in airing did the thread start because I like to read old threads for stuff I've seen and read the reactions at the time! Currently I am dfinitely not listening to solo Sunggyu live performances and learning to read korean

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, 100% going to work through them after I catch up on The Genius! At what point in airing did the thread start because I like to read old threads for stuff I've seen and read the reactions at the time! Currently I am dfinitely not listening to solo Sunggyu live performances and learning to read korean

I just checked, thread started around the time S2 started.

edit: though the first post has been updated since, so it's a s3 poster

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

EmmyOk posted:

Discussion of the show began in the General Korean TV thread for all of S1 and people basically posted enough about the show there that everyone agreed it should get its own thread, which was made right before S2 came out I think.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm reading through the thread now! Just reading peoples' reaction to Episode 4 where people are really happy Jiwon beat Eunkyul. You fools! If only you were from the future like me!

e: One thing I'm not clear on is does the episode air between filming? Sometimes it seems like it must based on what contestants say but other times it seems like they reveal way too much on camera if it means other contestants will see the broadcast. Mainly thinking of the immortality hints here.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 19, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm reading through the thread now! Just reading peoples' reaction to Episode 4 where people are really happy Jiwon beat Eunkyul. You fools! If only you were from the future like me!

e: One thing I'm not clear on is does the episode air between filming? Sometimes it seems like it must based on what contestants say but other times it seems like they reveal way too much on camera if it means other contestants will see the broadcast. Mainly thinking of the immortality hints here.

I believe they film 4-5 episodes before the first one airs and after that the contestants do get to watch episodes between filming weeks, but it's always like 4-5 eps behind. I know they actually show conversations between people about previous episodes on the show, but don't remember if they did that in S2 or if that started later.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I started Crime Scene at Season 2 and had no issues getting up to speed with the show. I might go back and check out the latter part of Season 1 though.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It's worth watching the first two episodes for some Henry nonsense, but they really didn't have a handle on the format until later in the season.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Just start Crime Scene from the very beginning and skip ahead if you don't like the pace of the first few episodes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EmmyOk posted:

Sangmin: If Sangmin wasn't an absolute buachaill I would definitely hate him. So many times he has hosed over people I liked a lot or done something very sly but he's quite charismatic so it's hard to actually dislike him. Whenever he is warning people about Jinho I want to yell at them "look at who is talking for Christ's sake!".

I love Sangmin for this reason. I dont know how he gets people to keep listening to him, but they do, every time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grandpa repeatedly bursting in on Sangmin trying to figure out the dice in God's Judgment "it's like entering the room of a boy going through puberty reading a special magazine!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Grandpa repeatedly bursting in on Sangmin trying to figure out the dice in God's Judgment "it's like entering the room of a boy going through puberty reading a special magazine!"
Grandpa and Sangmin together are the best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If Jiwon beats Jinho I will probably kill myself tbh

skipped to the end to check, will be a while before I can find out what happened and continue the season

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
~~~~~~uh oh~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can someone spoiler tag for me how it went down because I am literally unable to watch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Running Man Episode 13 is still one of my favorite pieces of Korean TV. It's a lot more silly, but it rivals Open/Pass in how entertaining it is.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Running Man Episode 13 is still one of my favorite pieces of Korean TV. It's a lot more silly, but it rivals Open/Pass in how entertaining it is.

Do I have to watch the previous 12 episodes?

I think I tried watching a random episode of running man once but it didn't hold me. I think it was an episode with Dongmin that someone linked here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Can someone spoiler tag for me how it went down because I am literally unable to watch

Jiwon goes all in really early, killing Jinho's ability to count cards. He tends to do better the longer the game goes on. Jinho calls and loses.