Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jongp4
Jul 7, 2008

timp posted:

I like the idea that he's in there for hacking Krista's former boyfriend.

Or, more specifically, it may have something to do with stealing his dog. Is that a crime? If so it seems like exactly the kind of small time crime Elliot would want to be pegged for in order to essentially institutionalize himself for a brief period of time.

Well I just rematched that scene and he says that he had already went to the police and they had been looking for Elliot for 6 weeks. There are plenty of Cyber Crime Fraud laws that he could have broken. But proving it would be hard. My guess is they got him on something that Krista testified to, that Elliot may have mentioned in his sessions. All they would have needed was a warrant to his apartment where they would have found all his "CDs". Now I would hope they would be encrypted but they also could have found drugs which would have caused him to be incarcerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

jongp4 posted:

Well I just rematched that scene and he says that he had already went to the police and they had been looking for Elliot for 6 weeks. There are plenty of Cyber Crime Fraud laws that he could have broken. But proving it would be hard. My guess is they got him on something that Krista testified to, that Elliot may have mentioned in his sessions. All they would have needed was a warrant to his apartment where they would have found all his "CDs". Now I would hope they would be encrypted but they also could have found drugs which would have caused him to be incarcerated.

That's true, it could also be a minor drug charge.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

His CD's are encrypted.

Also, depending on when he informed the authorities: the dog's microchip might not even had led anyone to Elliot's apartment.

edit: All that being said, based on his interactions with people visiting him, is it possible that he turned himself in on some minor charge? Elliot has been trying to convince us from the start that all of this is good for him. He may have done so to his visitors as well.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 18, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think the biggest mislead was how poorly the convicts played basketball. That was definitely mental asylum basketball, not jail basketball.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Talorat posted:

My only complaint about this season so far has been the plot line with Tyrrell's wife who I am continuing to struggle to give a poo poo about. It better be heading towards some payoff soon, otherwise I have no idea what they have been building towards.

The payoff will be her having her boy toy murdered in a sadistic way.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the biggest mislead was how poorly the convicts played basketball. That was definitely mental asylum basketball, not jail basketball.

That was probably due to fatigue. Imagine having to "play basketball" for 12 hours straight or however long it took to shoot those dialogue scenes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

Just because you play a ton of basketball doesn't mean you get better. Also playing against other lovely players doesn't make you better.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think it was definitely a non-hacking crime he turned himself in for, probably the dog or drugs. I feel like if he admitted to any sort of hacking, the FBI would be all over him for his connections to Evilcorp & Allsafe. I'm also guessing it was the police that were knocking at his door at the end of last season after he turned himself in or sent an anonymous tip.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, the dog was the result of his hacking crime so drugs or something else, who knows. Hopefully we find out sooner than later.

edit: I mean at this point, personally, I'm more concerned with what else Elliot has been hiding from us than what he's hiding from himself (Wellick). Including how he got in jail.

edit 2: Dom is so close to figuring everything out on her own, I think it is going to take some incredibly impressive writing to justify everyone not being in jail by the end of the season.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 18, 2016

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

So apparently Elliot turned himself in, for something (recall Darlene saying that she couldn't understand why he did this to himself). Which in most cases would be a pretty good way of forcing yourself to go offline and follow a routine.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Ersatz posted:

So apparently Elliot turned himself in, for something (recall Darlene saying that she couldn't understand why he did this to himself). Which in most cases would be a pretty good way of forcing yourself to go offline and follow a routine.

Or she can't believe that he got caught doing something so stupid, like getting caught stealing a dog.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just a point of clarification: Elliot is absolutely in prison, not jail. The jumpsuits had DOC stenciled on the back, Department of Corrections. DOC doesn't run jails, those are operated by the city/county depending on where you are, and house both pretrial arrestees as well as people incarcerated for <1 year. People sentenced to more than 1 year typically go to prison.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think it was definitely a non-hacking crime he turned himself in for, probably the dog or drugs. I feel like if he admitted to any sort of hacking, the FBI would be all over him for his connections to Evilcorp & Allsafe. I'm also guessing it was the police that were knocking at his door at the end of last season after he turned himself in or sent an anonymous tip.

This makes a ton of sense, and I'm betting we get a flashback or exposition to explain it within the next few episodes - both that his incarceration isn't hacking related, and that it was the police that knocked on his door.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

precision posted:

The best twist this season is that Ray didn't look at the website either and was glad that he got caught. :unsmith:

Redemption!

It's so horribly oddly satisfying, I don't know what to make of it!

The project originated from his wife as a bit of fun; an open store that you could sell anything anonymously and made them a nice bit of money, then questionable things appeared but made them more money, then she died but things totally got out of hand and was making poo poo loads of money... and all the while he never ever looked at what was going on? I was starting to wonder he wasn't some hardcore underworld gangbanger all along, but inherited this thing and the thug lyfe came to him which he couldn't escape.

The prison thing was brilliant as well, ever since the start of the season I've been in disbelief he'd just move into his mother's house again with no explanation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ersatz posted:

Remember the knock on his door at the end of the last season. We still don't know who that was.

Now, I'm guessing it was the cops.

e: beaten.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I'm not sure that it was the cops, that seems too easy. Also it seems to me that Elliot willingly put himself through this and might have turned himself in. That's my guess anyways. The way Darlene spoke to him, his whole routine, etc all made it sound like he got there on purpose as a way to get rid of Mr Robot and to stop him from "controlling" him and hacking stuff without him remembering.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It is a bit weird that he was able to get his own room at a penitentiary in NYC, but I'd be willing to write that off as "he needed that for TV purposes"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Highblood posted:

I'm not sure that it was the cops, that seems too easy. Also it seems to me that Elliot willingly put himself through this and might have turned himself in. That's my guess anyways. The way Darlene spoke to him, his whole routine, etc all made it sound like he got there on purpose as a way to get rid of Mr Robot and to stop him from "controlling" him and hacking stuff without him remembering.

That's what I said? Send an anonymous tip to the cops with the address, wait at home by his computer to get picked up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So institution theory was almost right after all. But it was really well done and prison actually makes a lot more sense, considering all. Everything fitted very nicely

I actually almost guessed it on the basketball court scene, the thought of that being in prison crossed my mind for an instance

Leon got me completely off guard though

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I re-watched the pilot, as I'm sure many of you have. It's definitely worthy of a second look after the Mr Robot reveal.

At roughly 37 minutes - in the subway scene with Elliot, Mr Robot says, "[His own father] was in prison. Just like you are now, Elliot."

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
New email. "Not Lost To You."

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/book

The only tie-in book for USA's award-winning series MR. ROBOT, Elliot's journal-Red Wheelbarrow-is written by show creator Sam Esmail and show writer Courtney Looney.

Before and during the events of season two, Elliot recorded his most private thoughts in this journal-and now you can hold this piece of the series in your hands. Experience Elliot's battles to gain control of his life and his struggles to survive increasingly dangerous circumstances, in a brand-new story rendered in his own words.

The notebook also holds seven removable artifacts-a ripped-out page, a newspaper clipping, a mysterious envelope, and more-along with sketches throughout the book. You'll discover the story behind MR. ROBOT season two and hints of what is to come. This book is the ultimate journey into the world of the show-and a key to hacking the mind of its main character.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This twist should have been over and done with by like the 3rd episode this season. I'm really feeling fatigued watching this show now. It has a couple fun gimmicks from time to time, but it's waaaaaaaaaay worse than the first season. They're drifting without direction right now, plot-wise.

Angela's exhausting to watch, too because all of her scenes are her staring wide-eyed at the other person and then emotionlessly replying after long pauses. Did M. Night Shyamalyan show up to guest-direct or something?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was kinda feeling that way until this episode. To go with the chess metaphor, everything up till this point has been open moves. Now that Elliot is in play, the rest of the season gets to the mid & end game, which is always way more exciting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey I'm sure this was real obvious to everyone else but I'm always a little slow on the uptake - when the angry dudes grab Elliot into the "alley" and start hitting him, there are these rapid cuts between Elliot and Mr. Robot being present. I assume that this was to demonstrate that Mr. Robot was "taking" the punches so Elliot wouldn't have to, like he tried to protect him with the sitcom fantasy when he was in the infirmary after the beating he took over the Blackmarket site?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Hey I'm sure this was real obvious to everyone else but I'm always a little slow on the uptake - when the angry dudes grab Elliot into the "alley" and start hitting him, there are these rapid cuts between Elliot and Mr. Robot being present. I assume that this was to demonstrate that Mr. Robot was "taking" the punches so Elliot wouldn't have to, like he tried to protect him with the sitcom fantasy when he was in the infirmary after the beating he took over the Blackmarket site?

I caught it too and agree. It was a nice little touch, a show of Elliot's trust in the audience that he's OK with us knowing when its him or Mr. Robot too perhaps?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How did nobody call prison? all the flimsy stuff in the institution theory make perfect sense in a prison. I didnt even call it mid-episode when they were visually referencing the poo poo out of American History X's rape scene.

For a second though I was afraid the therapist was going to be like "I am your mom" but this show is awesome and not dumb, so...

holy poo poo.

Also I feel so bad for Angela. I hope she really gets to stick it to some fuckers eventually. Like every thing she tries to do is "I'm gonna be strong and smart and assertive and go after what I want" and every time it's like "you foolish, naïve noob, no one takes you seriously. You're embarrassing yourself." It's really loving sad and really well executed.

Edit: ^ yeah, I really liked that. Before the prison reveal, when the scary white dudes were threatening Leon, I was really hoping Elliot would stand up and become Mr. Robot and pull out a gun. Because I'm hoping that Mr. Robot and Elliot working together will mean that Elliot can now use violence as a tool when he needs to.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Snak posted:

How did nobody call prison? all the flimsy stuff in the institution theory make perfect sense in a prison. I didnt even call it mid-episode when they were visually referencing the poo poo out of American History X's rape scene.

From mid-July - teeters between jail and asylum:

LentThem posted:

That scene (and sound effect) along with stuff like basketball in The Yard, the cafeteria he thinks is a diner, the strict routine that isn't really his routine, and the bed-making all had me convinced he's in a minimum-security prison. Gideon coming to get Elliot to admit he wasn't part of the hack makes it seem like everyone else knows Elliot was in on it, and probably related to him being in jail. If not that, then related to Tyrell missing.

But they don't have enough information or a confession, so they have his old therapist come, hoping he'll open up to her.

Edit: Okay looking back at the basketball stuff and how lovely everyone is playing, I'm leaning more towards asylum, but with the same end goal

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure the dude who leads the rape gang is also the dude who talks about beating an Indian shopkeeper in Elliot's church group. I guess God actually wasn't standing by him after all.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Angela's misstep during the meeting, was that an angle or panic? She could be feeling the pressure from the FBI. Maybe her whole agenda is leaking their cover ups.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

Angela's misstep during the meeting, was that an angle or panic? She could be feeling the pressure from the FBI. Maybe her whole agenda is leaking their cover ups.

I don't think it was a misstep, honestly. She's been shown to be pretty cold and calculated and I think she wouldn't have asked to get into that meeting if she didn't intend to push the limits of Price's....affinity toward her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know. Angela's not stupid, but she has a serious problem with desiring being respected and desirable. Like, I feel like part of her coping mechanism for not bekng respected as a professional was trying to be valued as a woman. She was legitimately disappointed when her dinner with Price turned out to include those two other guys and be mostly purely business. She thought that Price found her assertiveness sexy. Then, in this episode, when Price asks her to celebrate birthday with him, she denies him as a power play and she's disappointed at how ineffective it is. She's having a serious crisis of self-worth, and both her angles of asserting her self-worth, professional savvy and sexual attractiveness are falling flat.

She's lost everyone. Her boyfriend cheated on her, Elliot has effectively abandoned her, and at the same time made her an accessory to his crimes, Darlene was complicit in her blackmail, and her father doesn't respect her methods of attempting to "change things from within". I think she went to him hoping he'd be proud that she had used her strengths to find a smart solution to the problem and instead he disowned her.

I don't think she's stupid, I think she has a big, insecurity-shaped, blindspot and no one to help her see around it.

And she's digging herself deeper into her own worst nightmare because of it.

Edit again: I've been drinking, so I didn't do a good job of enumerating my initial reactions of the last episode: when Mr. Robot is yelling at Elliot why he cares about Tyrell and where he is, I really felt like he was yelling at the viewer, because, honestly, who gives a poo poo?

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 19, 2016

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I don't think Tyrell is dead. He had to have recorded that video.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good drunk point :) She's definitely got some poo poo going on, but I still don't think she'd be going as far as she is without some sort of A game here. It could be that her A game was to get access to the file server and she blew it, but I'm hoping for something extra.

Re: yelling, I think the important thing is that we never saw Tyrell die. He was pushing back over and over until he heard Elliot say "I don't want to live in denial anymore, I just want to move past this" and then relented. He told Elliot exactly what he needed to in order to get Elliot back on his side. Tyrell definitely isn't dead and there's something big coming up. It wasn't a "who gives a poo poo", more like a "shut up, you aren't supposed to see this until later"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know why anyone might think that Angela has any of her poo poo together at all unless we think that her constantly being in over her head and barely hanging onto her self-esteem by the thinnest of threads is intended to be a red herring somehow. Which is certainly possible, with this show, but it still hinges on us thinking "Okay, this show is clearly telling us one thing...now let's consider the opposite, because this show likes to curveball us like that."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know why anyone might think that Angela has any of her poo poo together at all unless we think that her constantly being in over her head and barely hanging onto her self-esteem by the thinnest of threads is intended to be a red herring somehow. Which is certainly possible, with this show, but it still hinges on us thinking "Okay, this show is clearly telling us one thing...now let's consider the opposite, because this show likes to curveball us like that."

I guess my thinking is that she flat out denied the CEO of one of the most powerful companies in the world some birthday sex, that takes a lot of balls. I could be wrong but Elliot told us to trust her as 'one of the good ones' and she has a lifelong hatred of Evilcorp so I'm hoping there's something more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude who leads the rape gang is also the dude who talks about beating an Indian shopkeeper in Elliot's church group. I guess God actually wasn't standing by him after all.

Or, conversely, God is ok with a shithead getting knifed in the rear end in a top hat.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Skizzzer posted:

I have to disagree with the people here who are saying Angela misstepped in the last episode. Don't forget what happened earlier with Dom - Angela, Darlene, and f-society are beginning to realize that they're in over their head without Elliot, and specifically to Angela, that one of them is already under suspicion with the FBI. Why is she under suspicion? She stepped away from Allsafe to E-corp one week before 5/9 - one week before the hack. She then gets noticed on a restricted floor, where she's not supposed to be, right before the FBI is hacked.

Angela needs a reason for her move to E-corp. Her moves immediately after her meet with Dom are laughably transparent. She's made her motives clear to her execs. That being said, I still don't know her real reason for working at E-Corp. She also must have a reason for switching to the Risk Division, besides what's been shown already.

Also loving the cinematography. Interesting to see the contrast in Angela this last episode and the last time Price asked her out. Also noticing Angela seems to only dress in black and white now. 1 = white; 0 = black?

This about Angela's strategy. I think she's acting the way she wants the FBI to see her. Someone who is dumb, and obsessed with her mom's death. In interviews her new colleagues will be like "If she's a hacker why was she begging me for access to the file server?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

This about Angela's strategy. I think she's acting the way she wants the FBI to see her. Someone who is dumb, and obsessed with her mom's death. In interviews her new colleagues will be like "If she's a hacker why was she begging me for access to the file server?"

I think you're on to something here. It struck me as odd in her first meeting with her new boss that she asked about accessing a fileserver to get caught up eith work files. While I think her personal insecurities are real and a big part of her character, we know she's smart and ultimately refuses to take shot from anyone. Because of season 1's twist, we have been able to make all kinds of assumptions about Elliot's situation in season 2. I think it's important to remember that in season 1, Angela dealt with being blackmailed by hanging it in the rear end in a top hat who implicated her and leaving his rear end with no regrets. Angela likes the comforts that she has earned, but she will drop them all in a second and stick it an rear end in a top hat when that's what needs to happen.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

This is exactly it. She has to burn some bridges to cover her involvement with the hack both of E-Corp and of the FBI. Having her underestimated by her coworkers is another plus as they will not expect when she actually strikes.

To go back to the chess talk it is akin to sacrificing a pawn to take out a larger piece or protect one of your own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angela complaining that Elliot and Darlene always thought they were smarter than her made me think that her E-Corp job is basically just a big social-engineering hack, and that all the bridge-burning she's doing with people from her former life is designed to further sell the idea that she's completely onboard with E-Corp till they put her in a position to absolutely gently caress them over.

That all said, this idea took a bit of a battering with the clumsy way she asked for access to the files in the Directors meeting so who really knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Loomer posted:

Prison was obvious the second the scary white dudes turned up.

No it wasn't, the US is full of scary white dudes.

• Locked thread