Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a fair chance your progress would be erased on the 22nd when the next release comes out.

I don't think you'll feel cheated if you played through what content was available now and then started fresh on full release in December. I got around 20 hours before running out of content on a playthrough. I've since raised that to 40 hours playing with experimental builds and goofing around a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Davos posted:

I bought this game when it was on sale last month but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Looking at the roadmap to release and it seems it's currently projected to be feature complete in December, so I'm wondering if this is the sort of early access game where I'd be better off waiting until full release to play it or if I should just jump in now?

If you are less than certain and don't care about sale price or not, you could also just wait until after they finally remove terraforming (Currently slated for September) which should at least go towards making save files not over a gig in size.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, uh... do Reapers sound different up close? Like, striking range close?

Because if not I just had a near-brush with something else.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There are various creatures that can roar loudly, yes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

StrangeAeon posted:

So, uh... do Reapers sound different up close? Like, striking range close?

Because if not I just had a near-brush with something else.

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Edit: Bone Sharks! That's what they are technically called.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Bone Sharks.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to get the multipurpose room in the experimental version right now?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

resting bort face posted:

Is there any way to get the multipurpose room in the experimental version right now?

It's a scannable building now.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

resting bort face posted:

It's in wrecks but you can also get it along with a lot of other props at the floating island.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
im gonna smoke a load of weed and play this for the first time in months tonight, trip report upcoming

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Don't be like the drunk guy who forgot to save and lost 6 hours!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I've only been playing for a little while, and I made my first sea moth! I proudly tossed some cured fish and water into my inventory alongside my medkits, checked all my tools were charged, and headed towards the Aurora. With my new leadlined suit, I knew I could try and turn off the radiation and pick up more supplies from the starter tip guide I read.

When I was close, I disembarked outside the Aurora, all geared up and ready to find my way inside. Then a giant angry sea dragon jumped out of the depths and ate me alive.

10/10 game!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your mistake was that you didn't make a month's worth of supplies because the game is too easy and the timers are too short.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

deathbot posted:

I've only been playing for a little while, and I made my first sea moth! I proudly tossed some cured fish and water into my inventory alongside my medkits, checked all my tools were charged, and headed towards the Aurora. With my new leadlined suit, I knew I could try and turn off the radiation and pick up more supplies from the starter tip guide I read.

When I was close, I disembarked outside the Aurora, all geared up and ready to find my way inside. Then a giant angry sea dragon jumped out of the depths and ate me alive.

10/10 game!
Yeah, there's a lot of reapers around the Aurora now, at least 6 of them at my last count (2 at the front and back, one on the far side and one right by the hole on the near side that leads to the engine room).

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Exosuit update tomorrow

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Legs Benedict posted:

Exosuit update tomorrow

That is exciting, I wonder how hard it will be to make

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It won't take many resources but the components will all take 90 minutes in the crafting bench.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Demiurge4 posted:

It won't take many resources but the components will all take 90 minutes in the crafting bench.

My immersion is off the goddamned charts

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'd be expecting Lithium/Plasteel Ingot(s) as it's main ingredient. I'm more interested in what it can dig up (assuming that's getting put in along with it.)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Per part.

2x arms
2x legs
1x torso
1x helmet
1x circuitry
1x lining
1x bladder receptical
1x spare parts
1x paint

Unrelated: Hey you guys want to play Warframe!?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Most recent recipe is 2 aerogel, 2 plasteel ingot, 2 lubricant, 2 uranium. Most of that's not hard to make (and thankfully it isn't Yet Another Thing That Requires Silver), but there hasn't been a working recipe for aerogel for a long time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDs5eJ8bUc

Hyped for underwater web swinging

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was a little janky in experimental. I hope they've figured out some of the awkwardness.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

This looks so drat fun. But I can't help but think of Starbound previously having super fun and super useful grapple guns which got "fixed" into limp strings that won't attach if you are falling too fast :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wow, I never got very far but you all weren't joking about that loving pop-in. :eyepop:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wow, I never got very far but you all weren't joking about that loving pop-in. :eyepop:

Yeah, it's bad. Like "go to where you know there are scannable blueprints, and swim around for a few minutes so they can load."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Didn't they push back the fixed geometry world (no pop in) till after this update? :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't understand why they just don't get rid of the terraformer already. "Remove terraformer" has been on the to do list for the last three major patches.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Can someone explain what terraforming is in this game and why is pop-in tied to it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand why they just don't get rid of the terraformer already. "Remove terraformer" has been on the to do list for the last three major patches.

The terraformer is not directly the cause of performance problem, its the underlying architecture that makes terraforming possible. Getting rid of the terraformer would not rewrite the architecture, and there is no reason to do aside from the much less problematic problem of save file bloat it until the new architecture is in place.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The terraformer is not the performance problem, its the underlying architecture that makes it possible. Getting rid of the terraformer would not rewrite the architecture, and there is no reason to do aside from the much less problematic problem of save file bloat it until the new architecture is in place.

That's what I was talking about. They've been saying they were going to remove the terraforming mechanic for a while now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

Can someone explain what terraforming is in this game and why is pop-in tied to it?

I think it's being able to deform the terrain of the game. If the game had a fixed sea floor where the player couldn't modify it, that would probably improve the performance since the game wouldn't have to remember and render what changes you've made.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SinineSiil posted:

Terraforming allows you to remove pieces of the ground and place generic bits of ground somewhere else. This means that the game doesn't have a simple map that it refers to for the sea floor, it has to track all locations and record whether ground is there or not. As a result, the game has to save and load massive amounts of "ground/not ground" data.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I was talking about. They've been saying they were going to remove the terraforming mechanic for a while now.

Plus, they've gotten some sales from people who saw the "Voxel based terraforming" mentioned on the store page, then learned after the fact it was officially being removed. Most of the past big steam sales, I saw people pop up to say "Wait, what? terraforming was what pushed me over to buy this." With only a few actual refunds over it thanks to time played.

They FINALLY removed mention of terraforming on the Store page recently. Every time I mentioned it was on the store page from June through July no the Steam forums, no comment. I finally mention it without double checking if it's still there mid August, THEN a Dev swoops in to say "You're wrong! No it isn't!".

On the less cycnical front. Terraforming removal is probably a huge headache coding wise, so putting it off as long as possible is not really unexpected while they work on easier to implement things until "Estimated timeframe we launch" gets too close to delay it anymore.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 23, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would think you'd want to do it as soon as possible before you've added even more to the map that needs to be converted over.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's entirely possible that they're working on some of the "plumbing" around this feature to make it easier ahahahahahaha who am I kidding this is gamedev

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Met posted:

Mesmers aren't in the game? I've seen a few even recently on the Stable release.

I saw one recently, and I've never played experimental or spawned anything with the console.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I would think you'd want to do it as soon as possible before you've added even more to the map that needs to be converted over.

Actually the biggest obstacle is in base building. Placing base parts does quite a bit of terraforming so they have to go over each part and remove/decouple the code for it and adjust how they're placed, then test for as many edge cases as they can.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
hey guys when i got high and played this game i just sat in a base at the bottom of the area just before the aurora, the kelp fields or something?? with my headphones on and lights off and listened to the ocean noise for about 4 hours, it was extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Looks like the update's out:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/264710/announcements/detail/800899932806760211

http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/prawn-update/