Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My GBA SRT:OG video LP that I posted on the LP forum when that forum opened just turned 9 years old. I have been waiting for an English SRW for that long :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In case you don't know, Super Robot Wars V is getting an English release on the PS4 next year as well. :)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

KoB posted:

I meant the 'Burg specifically, not all reals.
Cause the combo attack is that good? I mean the Fairlions are pretty lovely units too but RHB is a very powerful move and Latooni+Fairlion = unhittable. It's keeping Shine alive that kind of sucks typically.

Unit balance seems pretty good in MD aside from the joke units. I'm not all happy about the Chevalier nerf, and did Hugo always start with Hit & Away? Cause it's annoying that isn't on Aqua.

Granteed is annoying to use too.

I don't remember if the Gigascudo was always as powerful as it is here too.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

What about all the super robots in use by the military, such as the Giganscudo, Grungust, and SRX?

The Giganscudo was explicitly the first attempt a 'military' Super Robot and the SRX likewise explicitly is three real-types who combine to form a wonky super type.

It's not a perfect lineup but it basically amounts to "dodge vs tanky" with some minor tone things.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Raxivace posted:

In case you don't know, Super Robot Wars V is getting an English release on the PS4 next year as well. :)

I know and I am excited for it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, when you guys were arguing about Granteed I was only on like stage 5 and now that I'm around 20 I'm like holy poo poo why does this thing have no post-movement attacks until his Will gets high enough?! It makes me want to bench or make him the twin then stick someone with actual utility in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Man, when you guys were arguing about Granteed I was only on like stage 5 and now that I'm around 20 I'm like holy poo poo why does this thing have no post-movement attacks until his Will gets high enough?! It makes me want to bench or make him the twin then stick someone with actual utility in there.

I did the latter basically. You'll want to use Granteed enough to keep him on-par because he's a near-constant deploy and Granteed Dracodeus is absurdly good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Granteed in MD just wishes it was in J again and the optimal strategy was to just pass turn repeatedly and let enemies come to you.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Granteed in MD just wishes it was in J again and the optimal strategy was to just pass turn repeatedly and let enemies come to you.

I love how we all basically came up with this strat independent of each other. It speaks volumes of the style of gameplay in a game with no skill points.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

you forgot to add 'park the nadesico straight in the middle of enemy territory'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BlitzBlast posted:

The other key strat was to take one or two of your biggest busters (ideally Zeorymer or Tekkaman, but anything with good range and damage worked) and park them near the emptiest corner of the grid.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fereydun posted:

you forgot to add 'park the nadesico straight in the middle of enemy territory'
That might as well be the tagline for J: "Tactical Giant Machine Parking".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never really got why the portables outside of console ports never got SR points.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Probably cause they didn't want people to feel pressured to get them? Just a guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I figured it was different development teams.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Word wizards I need your help again! Multiple people when in one of the Exbeins mention "Kin of the Kyocho" and that is apparently impossible to google for anything useful for me. I'm guessing it's a raven thing. Please enlighten me!

Rascyc posted:

Unit balance seems pretty good in MD aside from the joke units. I'm not all happy about the Chevalier nerf, and did Hugo always start with Hit & Away? Cause it's annoying that isn't on Aqua.

I don't remember if the Gigascudo was always as powerful as it is here too.

Hugo didn't start with it in MX and its really annoying. It made his time in the Cerberus (probably all of the one stage you're forced to for most people) in 2ndOG much more tolerable.

I used to hate Giganscudo cos it was too slow, but I gave it a megabooster on a special mode run one time and Katina ended up top ace. I then went back to see if it was that good in OG1 and hell yeah it is. Now that Katina when aced gives it +1 movement for free that might tip it over the edge for me to a regular deploy without having to throw a million boosters on it. Not sure who she'd hang out with though. Someone in the Type 2 for cool long range ALL attack Maxiblaster combos?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kin of the Kyocho is a very, very odd way of translating "Heir to the Huckebein".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

Kin of the Kyocho is a very, very odd way of translating "Heir to the Huckebein".
Kyocho (凶鳥) is what at least Ing calls the Huckbein series.

edit: it refers to a phoenix rising from its own ashes, I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 20, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thank you!

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
:eng101: "凶鳥" Is also disaster chicken and no one will make me think otherwise.

EDIT: It is also what the chinese call the Huckebein.

Here's the official definition of Super Robot according to the game:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I never really got why the portables outside of console ports never got SR points.

J did have the Puzzle Robo stages, which were kind of fun, though some of them are downright brutal to get right.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ShiunTouya posted:

It's out of date, half the reals also have special power and control systems.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Caphi posted:

It's out of date, half the reals also have special power and control systems.

You'll be hard pressed to find any over 40 meters tall.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also gameplay-wise it means Supers won't have equippable weapons since they are completely full of baked in weapon systems.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ShiunTouya posted:

Disaster Chicken is totally going to be my upcoming JAM Project cover band name.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The library entry for the Grungust mentions the mind reading and the special move yelling systems.

I don't know what is up with Rishu and the Type 0 but he seems to be made out of paper in my game. Him hanging out with Touma is like a glass cannon super squad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ShiunTouya posted:

See that just makes me think of how electric cars are called that because they run on electricity.

Is Super an eco-friendly fuel source? How about Real?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, we are facing a Tronium crisis...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I would assume Orgone, at least, is green.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I would assume Orgone, at least, is green.

Booo

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Rishu is just absurd in every way. This guy must be someone's favorite on the team.

ShiunTouya posted:

You'll be hard pressed to find any over 40 meters tall.
Yeah you won't find any reals in the L class other than the J originals docked in the OGverse. I think anyway. It's a dumb class though, I just use it cause space route = reals etc.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rascyc posted:

Rishu is just absurd in every way. This guy must be someone's favorite on the team.

Yeah you won't find any reals in the L class other than the J originals docked in the OGverse. I think anyway. It's a dumb class though, I just use it cause space route = reals etc.
Dea Blanche Neige and Geant Chevalier are technically reals despite being loving gigantic, aren't they?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm sorry I meant the D originals. Obv the J originals never dock.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

EthanSteele posted:

Hugo didn't start with it in MX and its really annoying. It made his time in the Cerberus (probably all of the one stage you're forced to for most people) in 2ndOG much more tolerable.

I used Cerberus waaayyy more then the Garmaid in OG2nd. :colbert:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Dr Pepper posted:

I used Cerberus waaayyy more then the Garmaid in OG2nd. :colbert:

:catstare: You cheeky sonuvagun, you...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So it's not just me, right. Moon Dwellers is a starting out a bit harder then past games.

I mean, blowing up 14 units with you having 50% hit rates pre-focus, some of whom evade or defend, then you have to be in the ship by turn 5.

Don't remember anything like that in OG2nd.,

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Dr Pepper posted:

So it's not just me, right. Moon Dwellers is a starting out a bit harder then past games.

I mean, blowing up 14 units with you having 50% hit rates pre-focus, some of whom evade or defend, then you have to be in the ship by turn 5.

I think your guys auto-dock if you kill them all by the time limit. Can anyone confirm?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

That is, to be fair, probably the hardest stage in the game BY FAR if you're going for SR points. Nothing is remotely as bad as that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I must've reset that stage 3 or 4 times trying to figure out a strategy for killing all the enemies with 2.5 turns off movement. Was extremely annoyed when my robots just automatically flew back to the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

A few things you should do:

Give Leona or Rai your Armor Breaker (preferably Leona) and have her use Smite and then attack with it. That will massively debuff the enemy's armor.
If you have Excellen or Aschen deployed use their Dishearten spirit to reduce his morale which has a tremendous impact on his combat abilities.
When he does his "power up" thing and uses Iron Wall on himself stop attacking. Just let the round end. You're going to eat a LOT more damage from counterattacks after that point but most of those buffs will wear off the next round and the one that doesn't (Flash/Alert/whatever) will go after the first attack you do so save a crappy attack (battleship maybe?) for that.
Remember that some pilots can undo sealing. Kusuha is the optimal deploy for that because she has a super-cheap spell that recovers status effects. So does the Granteed's locked subpilot.

The last is the most important. You'll sacrifice your turn but attacking after he powers up is a HUGE downside.

Yo, thanks for these. Dragging along my super low level Kushua as a Spirit monkey, throwing Dishearten around a lot, and ending the turn right after he buffs himself got me through it with no trouble whatsoever. Probably would've been even better if I had remembered to drag an armor breaker. Whoops.

What's so special about Leona/Rai for that weapon though?

• Locked thread