Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

unkle77 posted:

Thanks for the confirmations. Called Anna at Goulet (super nice), and I'll be exchanging it for a new one today. Fingers crossed!

I just bought a Custom 74 this weekend, and it's a very smooth writer, great ink flow, all of that. I got it because the Van Gogh Pair of Shoes I went downtown to look at is an ugly mess, sigh, but I still wanted a pen. I'm very happy with it, and I hope your replacement works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Smart thing I did today:

Washing out an Online fountain pen nib section (they make fantastic nibs BTW). Accidentally sent the nib down the drain. "Okay, no problem, I'll just pull the trap out". So I did. Then I dumped the trap in to the other sink without putting the stopper down, and dumped it down the other drain. Pulled that trap and it wasn't in there.

Don't be me.

God dammit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Smart thing I did today:

Washing out an Online fountain pen nib section (they make fantastic nibs BTW). Accidentally sent the nib down the drain. "Okay, no problem, I'll just pull the trap out". So I did. Then I dumped the trap in to the other sink without putting the stopper down, and dumped it down the other drain. Pulled that trap and it wasn't in there.

Don't be me.

God dammit.

You should be able to get it out of the U-trap, along with a bunch of other gnarly poo poo.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, he's dangerously close to a monty Python sketch with bigger and bigger drains. Pretty soon he'll be at the municipal water supply

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
*straps on SCUBA gear*

THEY MAKE EXCELLENT NIBS!

*dives into sewage treatment pond*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

You should be able to get it out of the U-trap, along with a bunch of other gnarly poo poo.

Yeah, I already pulled the second trap and it wasn't in there.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

unkle77 posted:

So I've had my Custom 74 for about a week now, and I kind of hate it. It all but dries up on left to right strokes (can't even really cross a T), and down strokes dry up after about 5 lines. The only way to ensure a decent line is to put a ton of pressure on this thing, which seems extremely counterintuitive given that I've got 4 steel nib pens that write with no pressure at all (2 metros, 1 ECO, 1 Al-Star). Anyone know what could be the issue? Is my nib hosed? It doesn't appear cosmetically wrong but it's a real pain in the rear end to use because it's so inconsistent. I've flushed it multiple times, and I've used both De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and Pilot's Kon Peki with the same results.

Writing sample:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/F0pGCiS

Anyone else have these issues? Are gold nibs usually this bad?

Did you flush with soapy water or just water? A lot of times the problem is oils used in machining that won't wash out with just water. If you hadn't, be sure to do it with the new one first.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I am excited for my Lamy 2000 to arrive on Monday. I'm thinking of getting some Kon-Peki for it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I am excited for my Lamy 2000 to arrive on Monday. I'm thinking of getting some Kon-Peki for it.

Mine is estimated to be here next Wednesday. :(

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Not sure if this is a good thread to ask, but does anyone have recommendations for handwriting exercises? I figure there's not much point in getting a decent pen if I still produce chicken scratch.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

IXIX posted:

Not sure if this is a good thread to ask, but does anyone have recommendations for handwriting exercises? I figure there's not much point in getting a decent pen if I still produce chicken scratch.

Amazon sells some Spencerian theory books and practice tablets. You can get real fancy.

My Lamy Vista should be here Monday :ohdear:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Update: I GOT MY NIB BACK. Fucker was stuck in the crud in the u-bend, washing it out under pressure flushed it out.

I also flushed out a Kaweco and a Manuscript italic nib as well. I don't actually remember losing those down the sink but I guess I'll call it a bonus.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Remember the golden rule: PYDD (plug your drain, dummy)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

IXIX posted:

One of the biggest things that helped my chicken scratch was to get a consistent character height. There are exercises using lines & circles to help (I think IAMPETH is where I found them), but practicing with a set of calligraphy lines every day helped the most. That way I could concentrate on really making sure my ascenders, descenders, and x-heights were consistent.

That's assuming the rest of your writing is fairly static in its inconsistency. If letters aren't being formed the same way every time, it's a good idea to go back to basics. Look for a (depending on what you learned in school) D'Nealian or Zaner-Bloser or Modern Cursive (or print) worksheet to print.

Slowing down to see what you're doing as you write will help, too. I often practice with a pencil because it drags on paper and forces me to slow down.

grack posted:

Update: I GOT MY NIB BACK. Fucker was stuck in the crud in the u-bend, washing it out under pressure flushed it out.

I also flushed out a Kaweco and a Manuscript italic nib as well. I don't actually remember losing those down the sink but I guess I'll call it a bonus.

I think you need a set of these.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

IXIX posted:

I've been working through the book from http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

I definitely lost a dip-pen nib down the sink a couple years ago. I figure someone will have a "what the hell?" moment over it long after I'm gone.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

cobalt impurity posted:

Did you flush with soapy water or just water? A lot of times the problem is oils used in machining that won't wash out with just water. If you hadn't, be sure to do it with the new one first.

I did a soapy water flush, and I'll definitely do that for the replacement. When I called Goulet, I admitted I'm left handed and only a few months into fountain pen use so this may just be shenanigans that are my fault. They emailed me after receiving it though and said a replacement was in fact warranted so I think this time I just got unlucky.

Really stoked to get it back because I've been meaning to cover my work notes in Diamine Pansy.

Thank you for the advice!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, my Lamy 2000 got here and I loving love it. I've read a lot about the sweet spot that the nib tends to have, and that's definitely true. Writing with my Sniper the last few months has done a good job of training me not to rotate my pen though. A Good Purchase.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I love everything about the Lamy 2000, except for the fact that my hand tends to slide up the section and that makes it cramp up. Other than that, great pen.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I noticed this weirdness in my Lamy Safari (bought from Goulet) the other day.

Is this normal? I thought the window was supposed to be completely clear of obstructions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

inklesspen posted:

I noticed this weirdness in my Lamy Safari (bought from Goulet) the other day.

Is this normal? I thought the window was supposed to be completely clear of obstructions.

Ah, Safaris have another two little openings in there where you can put that bit of plastic from the cartridge in, just take it out and rotate it 90 degrees:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, Safaris have another two little openings in there where you can put that bit of plastic from the cartridge in, just take it out and rotate it 90 degrees:

Well, now I feel dumb. Thanks though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

inklesspen posted:

Well, now I feel dumb. Thanks though.

You made the good choice of buying the lilac Safari, so you can't be too dumb.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I don't have any rare pens because I keep my notes on a file saved on my smartphone, so I don't have to write.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

emoji posted:

I don't have any rare pens because I keep my notes on a file saved on my smartphone, so I don't have to write.

The obvious solution would be to buy a rare stylus.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

emoji posted:

Look at this one using fighting words in the fountain pen thread. :bahgawd:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just bought a Lamy 2K, hope it's a good writer. Really curious about the ink capacity, material, and ink well. I hope the nib isn't garbage.... I can tolerate a small sweet spot. Getting myself an EF nib.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

CrimsonSaber posted:

The obvious solution would be to buy a rare stylus.

I can use my Lamy Al-Star as a stylus while capped! :smuggo:

It's super loud.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GoldenNugget posted:

I just bought a Lamy 2K, hope it's a good writer.

Oh boy, is it ever. :allears:

I just ordered a bottle of Iroshizuku Ajisai (which appears to be a deep purplish blue) for mine. Right now I have it inked with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, which is a lovely color but nib creeps like an absolute motherfucker.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I got my Delta Hawa'ii today (had to pick it up at the post office).

It is very, very, very, very, very pretty. Very pretty.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

I got my Delta Hawa'ii today (had to pick it up at the post office).

It is very, very, very, very, very pretty. Very pretty.

drat, please share pics of that! That's a fine looking pen by any standard.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Quck and slightly crappy pic

Honestly, it's a cliche but pictures simply do NOT do this pen justice. As far as I can tell the body and cap are made of four or five different coloured resins cut in to thin sheets, laminated, and then machined as a single piece. The nib is pretty good but I wouldn't call it anything special, a solid 18k piece likely made by Bock. It does write very well though, similar to my Dolcevita.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Worth the picture though. Do you plan on having it be a display piece or a writer that you'll keep in your rotation?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That is a lovely pen. Is it a piston filler or a cartridge/converter?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

aldantefax posted:

Worth the picture though. Do you plan on having it be a display piece or a writer that you'll keep in your rotation?

It'll be inked up and used regularly, even if it's only at home. I don't really have display pens (or I try not to).

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That is a lovely pen. Is it a piston filler or a cartridge/converter?

Cartridge/Converter. There is a lever-fill version but I prefer C/C for the ease of service and cleaning.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My twisbi eco with a 1.1 stub feels scratchy as gently caress. No matter how I twist or turn it every angle/rotation has skipping and scratching. What do?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Xun posted:

My twisbi eco with a 1.1 stub feels scratchy as gently caress. No matter how I twist or turn it every angle/rotation has skipping and scratching. What do?

The tines are out of alignment, you'll need a loupe to adjust them.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Xun posted:

Adjust it or send it back, I have the 1.1 as well and mine is nice and smooth.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Family photo time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yep, that Hawa'ii is a pretty pen. Though I'm still trying to figure out why they'd also offer it as a lever filler.

Setting aside some of its, uh, "quirks", I don't think I've ever held a more comfortable pen than the Homo Sapiens Bronze Age. It's my new black ink, long writing session pen. I should have enough pennies saved up next month for a London Fog to complete my set, love the ink capacity on those crystal Homo Sapiens

I also recently picked up a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue, and holy poo poo that is a gorgeous ink :stwoon: