Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strontium posted:

Middle aged, middle class and miserable

The old 'disappearing arm' trick. Neato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I, too, bring my elbow up to my ear when I drink

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

*beep**boop**beep**beep**beep**boop**beep* "Hey, Luann? I need you to babysit for me for this afternoon. I'll drop her off at your place and then you guys can go to the waterpark! Sounds fun, wish I could be there! Bye!"

quote:

NOOOOO!! You have a wedding to plan, you don’t have time to babysit!! Stand up to your brother, stop giving in!! This is why some people call us women weak!!

quote:

Does Greg have a sadistic streak? Can’t any of his characters actually be happy once in a while? Life is not that bad, even old goats, like me, can manage to find little treasures in each day. The trick is to recognize it.

quote:

Fiendly Neighbourhood Terrorist (Justice For Michael_wme!) GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Oog, Trufans are feeling ze DISTURBED! Eet weel be such a relief when Brattoni gets custody of ze hell brat, zorry, poor maltreated Shannon. Like nobody could see that coming.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@Wiselad
“Let him be on his own, forcing child service to put notice and take Shannon from him…..,”

quote:

“One……In A Million”
“A Debt In The Family”
“Brattitude”
“He Celebrates Thanksgetting”
“The Actor Named Brat Pit”
“Flaxen Lacks In Tact (And Is Taxing)”
“Tow Headed And Haulin’ Junk”
“A Library Book Called Shannon”
“Grand Master Of Pawns”
“Pool Cues”
“Toni, In The Hip Pocket”
“A Protection Racket”
“See You Later, Manipulator”
Or
“After While, In Denial”

fort knox

Dustin

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (July 27, 1951)

Usually I skip King Aroo, but I just noticed the dragon's name. That can't be a coincidence, because A. J. Drexel was one of the big financiers around the turn of the century, and his firm was still going strong around this time. Drexel University which he founded uses the dragon as their mascot.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

:wtf:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Comics Kingdom is taking its sweet-rear end time to load this morning and I'm in a hurry, but you get to read Luann, at least.

I'm actually a little surprised she didn't immediately dump the kid on Luann.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Comics Kingdom is taking its sweet-rear end time to load this morning and I'm in a hurry, but you get to read Luann, at least.

Really, you shouldn't have.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Putting hot things straight in the freezer? That's just sick.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set questions the purpose of Buzzfeed.

Working Daze hits a new low.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix forgot that he who smelt it dealt it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jesus loving Christ. Even brought in another character into the last frame to do the stupid eye things. loving dedication to being terrible is what I call that!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Even brought in another character into the last frame to do the stupid eye things. loving dedication to being terrible is what I call that!

That's not the only questionable eye thing going on in that strip.

Aggressively bland makes way for vaguely racist?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Wow, interactive communication! Can you imagine such a thing?

Ripley's

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Perfect Trump and Hobbes material

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

I am not scanning these myself, by the way. Found a source and that's what I'm sticking with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I am not scanning these myself, by the way. Found a source and that's what I'm sticking with.

I used to have the actual physical copies of these, and alas, the quality is pretty much the same

(seconding the 'a man who would be greatly improved by death' being a bad-rear end line).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Trent posted:

The old 'disappearing arm' trick. Neato!

He wears special clothes to hide the fact that he has Rayman limbs, that sleeve came loose when he lifted up the drink.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Whoa Compu-Toon suddenly changed fonts. I wonder if it was on purpose.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

"I'm not humping this tree!"

Apartment 3-G

Come on, Margo. It's not that complicated. You're the smart one, too.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 19-21, 1929)

Peanuts (August 21-22, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 16-17, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 7-8, 1930)

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (March 7-8, 1930)

Stopped clocks and all that, but Crankshaft was actually funny today (mostly for the XCXOOL BUS).

Also, "Evil spiriks in a man's heart ain't good Jake, you know that" is a great line.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze hits a new low.

Not even the dilbert guy deserves this.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Nenonen posted:

Not even the dilbert guy deserves this.

quote:

By now, most of you know that Trump expressed “regret” at saying things in the past that might have hurt people. Most viewers interpreted this as an apology, of sorts.

Trump? Apologize?

I have some thoughts on this, in no particular order.

3rd Act

This is the so-called 3rd act that I have been predicting for about a year. In movie terms, this is the point where the protagonist encounters a problem that can’t be solved unless he changes something about himself. In a typical movie script, the hero might need to conquer a specific fear, open his heart to love again, or become more open-minded – that sort of change. In our movie, Trump needed to display more human empathy to appear less scary to the public. He has been doing that in speeches and statements all week, but the “regret” speech capped it.

In movie script terms, the timing for Trump’s 3rd act is perfect. The clock was running out on the election cycle and polls said Trump was in a hole that was only getting deeper. Clinton’s Dark Arts team – probably led by the one I call Godzilla – had framed Trump as dangerous and unstable. He was a goner. There was no way out. Game over.

Unless…he…changed.

So he did. You think Trump won’t be able to hold this new look. You’re probably wrong. This is the first time it mattered. Everything else was 2nd act fun.

Regular readers know I mistakenly called the 3rd act after Trump’s interview with Megyn Kelly. In retrospect, the timing was too early for the Megyn Kelly event to be a proper 3rd act. In movies, the 2nd act typically has a number of smaller problems that are overcome along the way. The Kelly interview fits the 2nd act structure.

Assuming Trump gets elected, I’ll explain to you why the movie script form was predictive, and how I saw it coming a year in advance. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you now.

Is Regret the Same as an Apology?

In classic Trump form, his “apology” was not exactly an apology. Trump expressed regret, but in a way that left all kinds of intentional ambiguity. Who exactly was he apologizing too? Is regret the same as an apology? Does he mean it in his heart? Is the regret for himself or for others?

I turned on CNN after the regret speech just to see heads exploding. I was not disappointed. Trump was trying to remove from his opponents their main weapon – the idea that Trump is a monster – and it frightened the anti-Trump folks in ways that that their faces and voices couldn’t conceal. I think everyone realizes that one solid month of Trump acting sane and empathetic would drive a stake through Clinton’s heart. We’re one week into it.

The most powerful part of Trump’s strategy is that it forces his opposition from a reasonable position (Trump should apologize!) into an absurd position (Trump didn’t apologize the right way!) When the anti-Trumpers were calling for polite behavior out of Trump, they had the high ground. Now that they are criticizing the details of Trump’s “apology” they look ridiculous. It was a perfect persuasion trap. Expect more anti-Trumpers to fall into the trap all day today.

Do you remember how the Khan situation was a perfect persuasion trap? Trump fell into that trap by making a mild comment about Mrs. Khan’s silence on stage. That allowed his opposition to brand him as disrespecting a fallen soldier. Trump created a similar persuasion trap by giving his less-than-ideal “apology” that forced his opponents into petty squawking about the sufficiency and sincerity of the apology. It makes them look small and ridiculous, and it diminishes their moral authority.

The Bigotry Flip

Trump is using the issue of Muslim immigration to argue that Clinton is the candidate promoting bigotry against women and the LBGTQ community. By Trump’s framing, the Democrats might help you get a gay wedding cake but Trump will prevent you from being raped and killed. Fear is the strongest persuader, so Trump effectively owns this argument now. He took the highest of the high ground. Trump is literally risking his reputation and his own life to protect women and gays. Clinton is just trying to get elected. That’s the new frame. And it is persuasive.

Trump is also making a direct appeal for African-American votes, and that’s smart. One of the biggest rules of sales is that you have to directly ask for what you want. Asking for votes is one thing, but asking the African-American community to “try something new” because Clinton hasn’t worked out for them is perfect framing.

The Odds Now

Prior to this week, Clinton had the momentum and a clear path to an easy victory if nothing changed. But as I blogged then, something always changes. This week Trump changed his campaign staff and softened his public persona to be less scary. If things were to stay the way they are today, Trump wins. His biggest obstacle was Clinton’s framing of him as dangerous, and now Trump is solving for that. He hasn’t done enough yet, but if he stays on the messages we saw this week, and reinforces them, he wins in November.

Unless something changes before then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7D3GPKNcSI

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
But... but Liz and Betty are the same name... :psyduck:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

You're right, he totally deserves it. In fact he may be the only one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Trump is using the issue of Muslim immigration to argue that Clinton is the candidate promoting bigotry against women and the LBGTQ community. By Trump’s framing, the Democrats might help you get a gay wedding cake but Trump will prevent you from being raped and killed. Fear is the strongest persuader, so Trump effectively owns this argument now. He took the highest of the high ground. Trump is literally risking his reputation and his own life to protect women and gays. Clinton is just trying to get elected. That’s the new frame. And it is persuasive.

Speaking as a straight man, I can say with confidence that all gays everywhere now love Trump, because if I like what he said then surely they do too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom Meets... Seriously? Seriously? gently caress You, DePaul.

Woah, a well-drawn, intense and badass comic panel (that's not from Prince Valiant).

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kennel posted:

Woah, a well-drawn, intense and badass comic panel (that's not from Prince Valiant).

Of course not, if it was Prince Valiant it wouldn't have turned out to be a dream.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

EasyEW posted:

Every once in a while, there is such a sharp reminder of what a different time it is. Can you imagine dropping off puppies/kittens with a bunch of kids to get killed? Unless there is a subtle hint that they would just take them...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shirec posted:

Unless there is a subtle hint that they would just take them...

It's kid-level scheming.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (July, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (October 1939)

Mopsy (April, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (August 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

True North

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

In today's pulse pounding action thrillride, Spider-Man is thwarted by a dastardly lack of tall buildings and has to take the subway. Tune in tomorrow, true believers! Excelsior!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets a Callback to Before I Took Over Posting Duties

This'd be a reference to Jam Esallen's second arc on the strip, where Mark Trail straight up iced a bunch of dudes, blew up some boats, and it briefly seemed like the strip would be awesome and not a showcase for terrible anatomy.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

"Did something happen? No." is a very accurate description of this storyline.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW posted:

quote:

Pupps and
kittens drow
drowned

I remember once my mom told me a story about how her cat had a litter when she was a child, and so her dad put them all in a sack and drowned them in the river. Things were so different back then.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Go gently caress yourself, Scott Adams

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Why do the goddamn adventure strips go out of their way to avoid any actual goddamn adventure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why do the goddamn adventure strips go out of their way to avoid any actual goddamn adventure.

But the footprints :aaa:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse is late again, and Viivi & Wagner is actually doing an arc that I'll catch up on later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

You're right, he totally deserves it. In fact he may be the only one.

I shudder to say this, but I disagree. He's very clearly an aggressively stupid guy with some type of a Tourette syndrome where he can't stop making a fool of himself by offending everyone, all the time. And time to time his personality disorders even seep into the comic, so I wouldn't have a problem with eg. Ruben Bolling making fun of him by aping his cartoon. Nevertheless innocent characters shouldn't be made to suffer for no reason. The Pointy-Haired Boss for example is a well established character. We know what he looks like and how he behaves. You could say he's a "beloved" architype, or at least used to be before dilbert guy started ran out of ideas.

Now if you look at the WD cartoon, it's criminally bad and makes Dilbert look like a wonderful cartoon in comparison. First of all there's no joke in it that requires the presence of PHB, nor is it a typical situation for him. You could replace him with Sarge from Beetle Bailey and it'd be no worse, actually it would be better because Sarge dropping a food tray and getting mad would be a likelier scenario. But even that would be no joke nor a reason for the WD boss lady to get turned on. A working solution might be if PHB blamed others for his incompetence, telling an intern to clean the mess or something, that would be in line with the character and also a quality that the boss lady would love. Finally the art is horrible, if you're going to mimic another cartoon then at least do it well in their style or do it completely in your own style, this is just a mess and there is no reason for it to exist.

• Locked thread