Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Just started watching and got through episodes one and two

episode 1 had me thinking "oh, more danny mcbride being himself again with goggins as an antagonist I guess I could watch this."

But episode 2. holy gently caress episode 2. Goggins must have followed sociopaths around for the last 5 years, because he does it so well. and the comedy juxtaposed to Goggins dragging McBride down to his level and destroying the world around himself while keeping a smile on his face is just hypnotic.

i'm in love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

timp posted:

Episode was excellent as always, but I gotta admit it seemed a bit out of character for Lee to be so utterly dominated by his neighbor (until the end at least). He lit Dr. Brown's house on fire, why wouldn't he just do something way diabolically and anonymously over the line to him like he did to her?

I mean jesus, calling the cops on him? That didn't seem like something he would do. Although it did produce the excellent scene where he's making up a "you got busted" song while kneeling on his own carpet in the dark, so that's good at least.

it seemed absolutely inline with everything he's done. He only knows how to be an rear end in a top hat behind people's backs, and only knows how to be glib to their face (his relationship with gamby /his wife / other people he's close to being the exceptions)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pron on VHS posted:

Russell's "gently caress where's my cigarette!" line when they are in the woods is so funny, rewound that part like 4 times

Same, it was so perfect with his little arm flail.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I've already mentioned how much I love Hill/McBride/DGG productions for their great use of a non-traditional setting, but I think I love their music choices even more than how they flesh out the Carolinas. The synth during Circles, picking the exact right kind of music the farm strong guy would play when he lifts, then Neil Sedaka's "Let's Go Steady Again" as the end credits music...everything's just bang-on perfect.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

I've already mentioned how much I love Hill/McBride/DGG productions for their great use of a non-traditional setting, but I think I love their music choices even more than how they flesh out the Carolinas. The synth during Circles, picking the exact right kind of music the farm strong guy would play when he lifts, then Neil Sedaka's "Let's Go Steady Again" as the end credits music...everything's just bang-on perfect.
After Silicon Valley, this has the best music selection on HBO.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

"You make a cute loving couple." This episode was a beautiful story of love and hate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Troy Queef posted:

picking the exact right kind of music the farm strong guy would play when he lifts

Pretty sure that was Exhorder aka the band Pantera ripped off, which is a fairly obscure pick.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
^ Except Pantera did it better so it's all ok

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

After I saw the first episode, I also saw all the reviews foaming at the mouth of 'raaaaagh! Two white men trying to undermine a successful black woman!' and obviously, those people weren't going to give it a chance. Those that claimed it was racism that they burned down her house is just dumb. Clearly these two would be pulling this kind of awful poo poo no matter who got the Principal job.

Though, I gotta say, I'm wondering if they'll do anything to humanize Russell in later episodes. I mean, part of his sociopathic traits in his professional life seem related to how powerless he feels in his personal life, such as being unable to really do anything against his neighbor, mi-cha always screaming at him, and given that they show his wife in scrubs all the time, I'm guessing she may be a doctor/surgeon and possibly be the bigger breadwinner of the two of them. He just seems as equally nasty to his own family, just not as insanely. I also still like that even though he's in on the plan, Gamby still has his moments of humanity, like when he sees Belinda crying in her car in the spirit week episode, or when he punches out the meathead to help Russell.

Other than the third episode falling flat for me, I feel like every week is amazing. I just wish we'd get more of Dayshawn at some point, though him showing up once an episode cracks me up everytime.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

LadyPictureShow posted:

After I saw the first episode, I also saw all the reviews foaming at the mouth of 'raaaaagh! Two white men trying to undermine a successful black woman!' and obviously, those people weren't going to give it a chance. Those that claimed it was racism that they burned down her house is just dumb. Clearly these two would be pulling this kind of awful poo poo no matter who got the Principal job.

Though, I gotta say, I'm wondering if they'll do anything to humanize Russell in later episodes. I mean, part of his sociopathic traits in his professional life seem related to how powerless he feels in his personal life, such as being unable to really do anything against his neighbor, mi-cha always screaming at him, and given that they show his wife in scrubs all the time, I'm guessing she may be a doctor/surgeon and possibly be the bigger breadwinner of the two of them. He just seems as equally nasty to his own family, just not as insanely. I also still like that even though he's in on the plan, Gamby still has his moments of humanity, like when he sees Belinda crying in her car in the spirit week episode, or when he punches out the meathead to help Russell.

Other than the third episode falling flat for me, I feel like every week is amazing. I just wish we'd get more of Dayshawn at some point, though him showing up once an episode cracks me up everytime.

Yeah, Russell being sweet to his wife in the next episode now that he's a little less stressed out about Farmstrong would go a long way towards making him sympathetic. Him being an rear end in a top hat to other characters makes sense, as he clearly takes the struggle against the new principal as a life or death battle since he's a lunatic, and his relationships with Gamby and his mother in law appear to be long standing, very much mutually antagonistic ones.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we're just going to sit around on bean bags, discussing the taste of young men's penises?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The restorative justice scenes were incredibly funny

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

He seems to soften up around episode 5, especially near the end, realizing he might have an actual, real friendship, and beginning to treat his wife better

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

LadyPictureShow posted:

After I saw the first episode, I also saw all the reviews foaming at the mouth of 'raaaaagh! Two white men trying to undermine a successful black woman!' and obviously, those people weren't going to give it a chance.

This was almost me. I was initially little turned off, but the pilot hit enough notes that I was curious to see where it went. I never saw EB&D but I am loving this show, particularly Russell - and especially in this most recent episode. Seeing him having to deal with the big dude across the street and how out of his element he is there as opposed to school was great.

I'm also thrilled whenever Shea Whigham shows up in the background being a cool and chill stepdad. :3:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The stepdad and the cafeteria guy are my favorite secondary characters.

"Let me ask you a question man, and be honest with me, alright?"

"Yeah, okay, go for it."

"Are you fuckin' Mr. Russel?"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

The stepdad and the cafeteria guy are my favorite secondary characters.

"Let me ask you a question man, and be honest with me, alright?"

"Yeah, okay, go for it."

"Are you fuckin' Mr. Russel?"

I just rewatched episode 2 and when he sees them both walking out of the woods together while he's smoking his vape, his line delivery of "...gently caress?" is loving perfect

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Do people not understand that Russel and Gamby aren't good guys, and aren't really meant to be rooted for? It's like being upset at Nicholson in the Shining because he's violent against women and children.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

morcant posted:

This was almost me. I was initially little turned off, but the pilot hit enough notes that I was curious to see where it went. I never saw EB&D but I am loving this show, particularly Russell - and especially in this most recent episode. Seeing him having to deal with the big dude across the street and how out of his element he is there as opposed to school was great.

I'm also thrilled whenever Shea Whigham shows up in the background being a cool and chill stepdad. :3:

Shea Whigham makes the best kind of dad. "My son! My fuckin' son!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

General Probe posted:

Do people not understand that Russel and Gamby aren't good guys, and aren't really meant to be rooted for? It's like being upset at Nicholson in the Shining because he's violent against women and children.

Maybe some SJWs don't but it looked like most people here are aware of it. I'm fully acknowledge that they're terrible people but am still rooting for them to gently caress poo poo up because it's fun :colbert:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I love the show but still stand by the ability to critique episode 2 in a social climate where it's difficult to mock white southern terror in a way that makes the viewer root for it. In the context of the show, it makes total sense, and the joke is on these characters. But I think the dismissal of that conversation by saying "it's a Jody Hill show :rolleyes:" is stupid. It's like how the rape scene in Observe and Report can be 'acceptable' within the context of an incredibly dark comedic movie but still open to cultural critique.

Nobody (weirdos on Tumblr excluded) is saying it shouldn't be done. But to completely ignore the subtext to a scene or its effect on viewers is dumb. It's okay to like things and still wonder about their perception and impact on society. Michael Douglas isn't a good guy in Falling Down, the protagonist of Fight Club isn't good, Don Draper isn't good, Walter White isn't good, but they're all essentially admired by a majority of viewers. That's not the intent but that doesn't change the impact.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Protagonist in all those things you said are actually Good

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

The Protagonist in all those things you said are actually Good

Well-developed characters in good media, sure.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i am the bird posted:

Well-developed characters in good media, sure.

No, like, they are the Good Guys in their respective universes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to make sure I've got this right, you're suggesting that it's worthy of criticism because some people might take it the wrong way?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Nobody (weirdos on Tumblr excluded) is saying it shouldn't be done. But to completely ignore the subtext to a scene or its effect on viewers is dumb. It's okay to like things and still wonder about their perception and impact on society. Michael Douglas isn't a good guy in Falling Down, the protagonist of Fight Club isn't good, Don Draper isn't good, Walter White isn't good, but they're all essentially admired by a majority of viewers. That's not the intent but that doesn't change the impact.

What subtext?? There's no reading between the lines when you have two batshit insane characters like Russel and Gamby. They beat you over the head with it!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

is this criticism valid if Belinda Brown ultimately mops the floor with Gamby and Russell?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

No, like, they are the Good Guys in their respective universes.

I don't think there's a reasonable reading of that with critical textual support for any of the characters I mentioned.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just to make sure I've got this right, you're suggesting that it's worthy of criticism because some people might take it the wrong way?

Yes? This isn't new. I think you're taking the word "criticism" too literally. I'm not condemning or discrediting the media in question. I'm saying they offer portrayals worthy of critique in a broader social context and that pretending they exist in a vacuum is lazy and uncritical.

Last Chance posted:

What subtext?? There's no reading between the lines when you have two batshit insane characters like Russel and Gamby. They beat you over the head with it!

It's two angry white dudes terrorizing a black woman's home in the south because she's in a position of power that makes them feel powerless. That's worthy of a second glance. Of course they're crazy but that's just an avenue for another discussion about how portraying them as insane theoretically overlooks that similar displays of violent white supremacy is normative in many American communities.

I disagree with critiques that say the show is PROMOTING this. But to plug your ears and pretend like it's not a culturally complicated scene is just lazy and uncritical.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 20, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i am the bird posted:

I don't think there's a reasonable reading of that with critical textual support for any of the characters I mentioned.

Yes? This isn't new. I think you're taking the word "criticism" too literally. I'm not condemning or discrediting the media in question. I'm saying they offer portrayals worthy of critique in a broader social context and that pretending they exist in a vacuum is lazy and uncritical.

Explain how Tyler Durden is the bad guy please.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Explain how Tyler Durden is the bad guy please.

The hyperviolent chauvinistic ubermensch manifestation of a white man feeling powerless who turns to terrorism as a result is a good guy?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

i am the bird posted:

It's two angry white dudes terrorizing a black woman's home in the south because she's in a position of power that makes them feel powerless. That's worthy of a second glance. Of course they're crazy but that's just an avenue for another discussion about how portraying them as insane theoretically overlooks that similar displays of violent white supremacy is normative in many American communities.

I disagree with critiques that say the show is PROMOTING this. But to plug your ears and pretend like it's not a culturally complicated scene is just lazy and uncritical.

Good god you must be a real blast at parties. Just watch the loving tv show or don't. Everything is not a social justice/ethical dilemma.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yes, because discussing a television show in a thread about a television show is wildly out of place. Sorry for ruining your safe space, guys. I still like the show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Yeah but what I'm saying is that the white supremacy thing you feel needs a second glance is the entire point of the joke.

The joke is that the characters are just too oblivious about the horrific implications of their actions because they're so wrapped up in high school administration politics. And they're supremely sexist, and probably racist too.

Any other jokes that need 'splainin? I can ruin em all folks

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i am the bird posted:

The hyperviolent chauvinistic ubermensch manifestation of a white man feeling powerless who turns to terrorism as a result is a good guy?

So you didn't get the movie? Gotcha

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

^^^ yeah, okay. You've offered literally nothing in support of your reading whereas the majority of analyses AND the book's author AND the movie's director all talk about those exact themes so, whatever.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah but what I'm saying is that the white supremacy thing you feel needs a second glance is the entire point of the joke.

The joke is that the characters are just too oblivious about the horrific implications of their actions because they're so wrapped up in high school administration politics. And they're supremely sexist, and probably racist too.

Any other jokes that need 'splainin? I can ruin em all folks

Nah, I agree with your reading -- especially taken with the rest of the show -- but a few posters in here are acting like that scene has no underlying message involving race or sex. It feels like some people think critics are calling them racist or sexist for liking the show which is not the point at all.

This is far too many words for a thread where people hate everything I'm saying so I'll just drop it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with you, it just read initially like you were saying the show was doing wrong by portraying something not everyone would fully comprehend or something? I definitely think those themes are there and extremely overt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm wondering what the debate is. Gamby and Russell are bad people. The whole fun of Hill's work is watching bad people do increasingly bad and cringy poo poo but while somehow still maintaining enough humanity that you feel sorry for them in the end.

Observe and Report is an underrated gem and it's loving hilarious just as it is depressing and sad. Jody Hill is a master at this poo poo in way most people aren't. It's not an easy feat, but he pulls it off.

Also, Footfist Way. Everyone should watch that. This feels closer to that than Eastbound actually with it's more grounded narcissism.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I dig that they're both sympathetic characters in various ways while still being monstrous. Watching them fail miserably or cause chaos is fun as hell, but it's also hard not to root for them wrecking the neighbor, who is an even bigger piece of poo poo.

I was just rewatching Footfist Way because it just got added to Netflix. I forgot how loving absurd and hilarious it is and it's basically forgotten as a cult comedy.

Sarren
Apr 13, 2004
holy poo poo yall have to be loving kidding with the racial angle bullshit.

gtfooooooooooooo the show is loving hilarious pull your panties out of your rear end in a top hat and enjoy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh my god you social justice warrior pussies have to do backflips to find racism in loving everything. Calm your short rear end purple hair down and watch a loving comedy without getting offended for once. I bet you are a loving riot at parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh my god you social justice warrior pussies have to do backflips to find racism in loving everything. Calm your short rear end purple hair down and watch a loving comedy without getting offended for once. I bet you are a loving riot at parties.

I like how offended you are at imaginary offended people that aren't even here you dumbass.

• Locked thread