Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Waiting in anticipation for when a goon actually DOES buy back in on the strength of that prefabbed sizzle reel and then acts real sad and confused when laughed at, because in the comedy stakes goonflesh tastes just as good as an outsider's. :unsmigghh:

We keep what we kill.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away/

Samuel Roberts has a great example of backpfeifengesicht.

Couple of things to note in this puff piece.

quote:

While the captain demoing the game takes an elevator down to the floor where the mission starts, the pilot flies the Freelancer right up close to the elevator's glass windows in front of the captain just for the hell of it. They make it look like a fun game to dick about in. The pilot even spins the Freelancer around 360 degrees just to show off.

So the press demo contained the ad libs?

Again, I'll stress that this should be impossible with an aerodynamic flight model. To hover an aircraft you have to offset the weight with thrust, now spin it down it's axis. The correct result should have been an explosion. The ship is in zero-g, and they're sticking people to the surfaces.

He makes no mention of the landing leaving the boarding ramp out of reach of <<use>>. There's no mention of using the ship in 'combined arms' - this is actually a selling point, but it makes a mockery of the scripted demo, as the ship could entirely gently caress up the tank and ground forces; This is why Mass Effect had you drive to places with bollards. They end his demo before the 'grabby hands' section where they move the cargo slowly from the jittery pile to dropping it on the ramp of the ship.

quote:

No Man's Sky offers that element of surprise each time you arrive at a new planet, but I've never seen a space sim look this good on a technical level. It makes me excited to see the rest of the planets in the system.

He needs to get out more. Battlescape is doing this at the moment, and Evochron has been doing it for years, albeit in lo-fi. You can hear him straining away from the Elite comparisons.

quote:

A statue of someone called Anthony Tanaka, killed in a protest against the UEE's Imperator, is one of the first things you see upon exploring Levski. Roberts cites it as an example of the sort of world-building they're doing in the game.

The ability for the death of a single child to motivate a rebellion is vastly overplayed as a dramatic foil, and personally I would have made it a massacre, and put a big wall of pictures up. cliche? Maybe, but it makes more sense.

Again, though, our 'mission' arc for the demo was getting a video message to travel to a guy that would give us the mission. We do the mission and he then supplies an addendum that has us retrieve a cargo, which he then double-crosses us for.

There's no failure condition for any of this. It's literally a scripted set of events, but you can only fail the mission, presumably, by dying. it doesn't make much sense either. Crochety von-doublecross is literally onsite to double cross you. His pilots outnumber the pirates, and there's no indication how this should scale - if you co-op with other people, do you get more pirates or what?

Edit:

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The power of dreams is fearsome indeed.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well I bought an aurora and now I'm looking for another ship that might be cool as a like "heavy fighter" if you will for under $250 any suggestions?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyLoon posted:

lmao, is Dickwulf deluded.

Yes, but he's also a pervert.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Thronde posted:

Funny thing here. Because they did it in a private venue away from the con with only paid backers with tickets, anyone who might be interested after seeing it will know nothing about it. Sure, shills will link the YouTube. But who in their right mind if going to watch minutes of video to get through that poo poo.

So it won't bring in new backers. It was just a way to appease the masses and kick the can another few months. Hilariously it worked.

It was kind of like an Amway "presentation" wasn't it. Pep all those backers up to get out there and pledge for new ships, con-vince people to join, get those referrals flowing. Chris really earns his label as "used car salesman"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

lmao, is Dickwulf deluded.

yes

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think some of you are being obstinate just for the sake of it. We all loving saw it yesterday. There was a secret build, with a shitload more content, gameplay and ultra stable. The game looks loving amazing and that is that.

I can't believe we already had an organization in place, a huge fleet with which to dominate the Verse and we disbanded it all and got refunded on the say so of Derek loving Smart, who has hated us for years. We've been a pack of fools. Either we start rebuilding our fleet now or we will get humiliated by the whales when you finally cave in and end up joining later.

gently caress you Derek Smart! :argh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aha, they paid for the pieces.

MeLKoR posted:

Derek was right, you shill.

Edit: Serioustalk: We're going to head into Poes law territory, so the safe word is 'tickle'.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Take that Derek! - Wulfknight (guy who should be on a sex offender list)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Spend your money on plastic rather than jpegs :colbert:... behold the Corvus Blackstar

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
So game is good now?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

I think some of you are being obstinate just for the sake of it. We all loving saw it yesterday. There was a secret build, with a shitload more content, gameplay and ultra stable. The game looks loving amazing and that is that.

I can't believe we already had an organization in place, a huge fleet with which to dominate the Verse and we disbanded it all and got refunded on the say so of Derek loving Smart, who has hated us for years. We've been a pack of fools. Either we start rebuilding our fleet now or we will get humiliated by the whales when you finally cave in and end up joining later.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Troll Bridgington posted:

So game is good now?

That one tech demo proved wrong all the naysayers!

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

So game is good now?

One word: Yes.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I can't loving wait to get home and buy a starter package :ohdear:
What's good to get on top of that? I wanna be set for the best christmas gift eved!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ledenko posted:

I can't loving wait to get home and buy a starter package :ohdear:
What's good to get on top of that? I wanna be set for the best christmas gift eved!

Well because you're a loving leaver you missed the package split. So you'll also have to buy Squadron 42.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well because you're a loving leaver you missed the package split. So you'll also have to buy Squadron 42.

Man, gently caress you, I'm no leaver, I was just holding off on getting in based on the word of a few loud goon retards.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

plus who are the guys in red supposed to be? first aiders?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Are we going to rebel against our master now?

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

So game is good now?

Flarpy posted:

One word: Yes.

If you're going to back for the first time may I recommend jumping straight in at the concierge level?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So game is good now?

Demo was good, game is still a buggy mess. Will the game become like the demo? Depends on whether or not Chris Roberts has really managed to discover video game tech 5-6 years in advance of the rest of the entire industry or whether he's just invested all his R&D efforts in a vast set of smoke and mirrors.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Ledenko posted:

Man, gently caress you, I'm no leaver, I was just holding off on getting in based on the word of a few loud goon retards.

Well, in our defense the game did look pretty shaky for a long while before they got it in shape.
It's almost like they were just stringing us along to make us look like fools :ohdear:.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

BromanderData posted:

If you're going to back for the first time may I recommend jumping straight in at the concierge level?

What does that get me? I think I want to play mostly the FPS parts as some kind of mercenary. I'll still need a pretty cool ship to take me places, but I'm more interested in powerful firearms, armor and such.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Flarpy posted:

Well, in our defense the game did look pretty shaky for a long while before they got it in shape.
It's almost like they were just stringing us along to make us look like fools :ohdear:.

The game still looks shaky, it's the demo that looks impressive.

I'd withhold judgement until they release 3.0 later this year. Putting together impressive looking demos is what the games industry does these days.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Are we going to rebel against our master now?

He was never my master. It's about time we dissociate ourselves from this person that has brought nothing but shame upon us and the ruin of our internet reputation.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Demo was good, game is still a buggy mess. Will the game become like the demo? Depends on whether or not Chris Roberts has really managed to discover video game tech 5-6 years in advance of the rest of the entire industry or whether he's just invested all his R&D efforts in the greatest set of smoke and mirrors at gamescom.

The 'Chriscom' build must have cost a heap of hours work incrementally. Hundreds? Thousands?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

He was never my master. It's about time we dissociate ourselves from this person that has brought nothing but shame upon us and the ruin of our internet reputation.

Agreed. Lowtax, do you think you could maybe hire a more successful video game developer to be the mod for this subforum?

Like George Broussard or John Romero?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, it reaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes you wonder why mr. So Smart has been so absent.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Chalks posted:

The game still looks shaky, it's the demo that looks impressive.

I'd withhold judgement until they release 3.0 later this year. Putting together impressive looking demos is what the games industry does these days, maybe CIG has just gone one step further.

Oh come on. The demo was amazing and they were playing it live.

It was fun to mock the 2.4 players, because frankly they were wasting their time with all the glitches. But this huge leap in content and stability is something I really couldn't have imagined.
I think we've finally got the Chris Roberts of old back.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Time for the celebratory dick pics!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Flarpy posted:

It was fun to mock the 2.4 players, because frankly they were wasting their time with all the glitches. But this huge leap in content and stability is something I really couldn't have imagined.

:laffo:
That's the whole problem isn't it, though? The Chris Roberts of old never left…

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yolomon Wayne posted:

went to bed, got up, walked the dog and theres 2k posts.
Game is released i guess?

Schrodinger's Star Marine

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ledenko posted:

Yeah, it reaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes you wonder why mr. So Smart has been so absent.

Only so many coke machines to impotently destroy as your entire tissue of lies is exposed. I'm rethinking my stance on sex pests now that the Wulge was right.

D1E posted:

Agreed. Lowtax, do you think you could maybe hire a more successful video game developer to be the mod for this subforum?

Like George Broussard or John Romero?

Molyneux isn't doing much.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I agree that demo was so excellent I might just drop a large sum on the completionist package now. Several other goons have already done it too, but of course are too embarrassed to post about it outside of the plat forum:

You must have the platinum account upgrade to see this link.

This is a good thing. For Star Citizen!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MeLKoR posted:

Derek Smart really is a suppressive person. Time to join the church of Croberts!

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I would be down with Romero as mod. Unlike Roberts, Romero actually did change PC gaming along with Carmack. Roberts made a boring space game that no one but old pc gamers remember, people still know what Doom is at least.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Flarpy posted:

Wing Commander the game old, or Wing Commander the movie old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Mercury_Storm posted:

I agree that demo was so excellent I might just drop a large sum on the completionist package now. Several other goons have already done it too, but of course are too embarrassed to post about it outside of the plat forum:

You must have the platinum account upgrade to see this link.

This is a good thing. For Star Citizen!

Do we still have an org btw? Or should we start up fresh?
Dibs on a merc role!

• Locked thread