Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Would I be correct in assuming all of the major brands of bear spray are pretty much equal? We've done plenty of hiking in black bear country and I've never really thought twice about it, but we have our first grizzly country trip coming up and it seems like a good idea.

Counter Assault

Saber

Frontiersman

DEFENSE AEROSOLS

Pepper Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
I have other question for those of you who use dragonfly/whisperlite/(white gas in a bottle) - do you leave the pump in during transport (on the trail).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dukket posted:

I have other question for those of you who use dragonfly/whisperlite/(white gas in a bottle) - do you leave the pump in during transport (on the trail).

I've always used the normal bottle lid and kept the pump with the stove. Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm not sure if you can get away with keeping the pump on the bottle, I never tried.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

taqueso posted:

I've always used the normal bottle lid and kept the pump with the stove. Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm not sure if you can get away with keeping the pump on the bottle, I never tried.

I always thought gas would leak out if you left to pump on the bottle. I always capped it.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

So far I have left it in the bottle and the directions SAY you can leave it in, but I'm wondering if you expose it to a greater chance of breakage? I just figured if you leave it in you don't have this thing soaked in fuel in your pack (plastic bag could solve that problem). I like to overthink everything.

We went on our first backpacking trip a couple weeks ago and our next one is coming up in a few weeks, I'm pretty pumped.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dukket posted:

I usually leave the pump in. I just vent the pressure and flush the fuel out of the line by turning the bottle over so the siphon is sucking vapor and letting the stove burn out.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've read that you can leave it in, and I have left it in, but if someone has contrary evidence please come forward and school me.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I leave mine in. Always vent pressure from the bottle when you're done using the stove.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

turevidar posted:

I leave mine in. Always vent pressure from the bottle when you're done using the stove.

That's how I've been doing it so far.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Anyone have experience with outdoor gear from Alibaba / Aliexpress? Assuming one is diligent about checking dimensions and products in general, it looks like there is a fair quantity of low priced off branded pieces of equipment on there, not sure if it's universally bad or worth a gamble.

Also, if anyone has specific items that haven't failed catastrophically I'd love to hear about it!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Last weekend I went and did a 15.5 mile hike (~4500ft elevation) with very little conditioning. I mean I hike all summer usually but it's typically only 4-7 milers and I had only done one 7 miler in the week leading up to this hike.

All that to say, I'm no stranger to hiking but I'm not in peak shape by any stretch.

After last weekends hike my legs and knees were understandably sore but over the next couple of days my muscles recovered just fine but a week later both of my knees still feel "bruised" Looking at an anatomy chart my closest attempt to pinpoint it would be that it's the meniscal tendons. The soreness is on the outside "point" of the tibia just below the kneecap, not in the knee joint itself.

My question is... should I be concerned that I now have a torn meniscus in both of my knees? or is it more likely that I just overexerted and I can expect them to go back to normal given some more rest? I'm mostly just trying to determine if I should be good to go back to the rowing machine at the gym and plan more hikes in the coming weeks or if I should lay low for a while. It's by no means crippling pain but I can definitely feel it taking stairs or what not.

Thanks for any info.
Overuse injury are a thing and you should see a prof.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Looking for suggestions for sleeping backs. Camping into November in Ohio and surrounding areas. Is it realistic to expect $250 to get something good enough?

Adding that it would need to be used for backpacking, I have an osprey atmos 65 bag.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 16, 2016

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
How cold does Ohio get in November? Do you want down (compressible and light) or synthetic (keeps most of its warmth when it gets wet)?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

turevidar posted:

How cold does Ohio get in November? Do you want down (compressible and light) or synthetic (keeps most of its warmth when it gets wet)?

The average is 36F for the low, we dip lower from time to time. Compressible and light is most important since I'll be using it when I do multi day backpacking trips.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
$250 should be doable for a down bag, especially if you are patient and catch one of sales put on by REI/EMS/Backcountry/Campsaver/etc that give 20% off one item. The 'Kelty Cosmic' down bags are cheap.

I like to use a sleeping bag with an EN lower limit ~10 degrees below whatever temp I expect to experience on a trip. You can play with this a bit if you're willing to sleep in your jacket and extra clothes, but most people find that using a bag at its EN lower limit rating is uncomfortably chilly.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

turevidar posted:

Cool, this is what I've been doing so far, so I'm not alone. Now If I can avoid being eaten by a bear I'll be good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Looking for suggestions for sleeping backs. Camping into November in Ohio and surrounding areas. Is it realistic to expect $250 to get something good enough?

Adding that it would need to be used for backpacking, I have an osprey atmos 65 bag.

250 should be more than enough to get a good 3 season bag that's warm, light and compressible. I would get something 10-15 degrees lower than the lowest possible temperature you think you would use it in. Survivability and comfort are two totally different numbers.

I haven't shopped around lately but you shouldn't have a hard time finding a decent bag. That's one of the more popular budgets for sleeping bags so there's a lot around that price point.

Dukket posted:

If I'm leaving it around camp then sure but if I'm putting it back into my pack I won't. Best case scenario is that nothing spills and you save yourself a few seconds of convenience by leaving it in. Worst case scenario is that it comes open and leaks all over the place saturating everything in white gas.

There isn't enough convenience for me to justify the risk of leaving it in. I just remove it every time. Then again I've stopped using mine all together and opted for a pocket rocket.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Verman posted:

If I'm leaving it around camp then sure but if I'm putting it back into my pack I won't. Best case scenario is that nothing spills and you save yourself a few seconds of convenience by leaving it in. Worst case scenario is that it comes open and leaks all over the place saturating everything in white gas.

There isn't enough convenience for me to justify the risk of leaving it in. I just remove it every time. Then again I've stopped using mine all together and opted for a pocket rocket.

So, you put in a plastic bag or somesuch?

My thought is that the pump is as tight as the cap otherwise its mighty dangerous. Having said that, so far I have been storing in in the elastic water bottle pocket on the side rather than in my pack.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I just hang mine outside my bag via the mesh bottle pocket and secure it with a carabiner so that it doesn't pop out. My fuel bottle (msr) has a cap with a loop on it which makes it easy.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Verman posted:

Yeah I just hang mine outside my bag via the mesh bottle pocket and secure it with a carabiner so that it doesn't pop out. My fuel bottle (msr) has a cap with a loop on it which makes it easy.

Sorry, I meant the pump - since it would be soaked in white gas.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mAlfunkti0n posted:

If you're looking for specific recommendations, I bought a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame from REI a few seasons ago. I slept in it while backpacking Rainier and was comfortable down to ~30° F. I only spent $175 or so on it.

If you want a lower min. temp, the Z Spark seems pretty good too for about $20 more.

E: I spent extra to get the long size too, so you should probably be able to find it for about $150.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Verman posted:

For me it's not about keeping things convenient so much as it is about simplifying what I pack. By using the pump as a stopper, I remove one thing from my setup that I need to carry and not lose (the stopper), the pump itself is protected because I always know where it is rather than it being "in my pack somewhere", and I don't have to handle a fuel-covered pump or have it in contact with other things in my pack. I understand the concern about breaking the pump if the bottle is thrown into your pack haphazardly - my pack has a pair of long skinny obnoxious pockets that aren't useful for much, I keep the bottle in one and it's snug enough that the bottle has to be upright if the pack is upright.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dukket posted:

Sorry, I meant the pump - since it would be soaked in white gas.

Ah okay I got it. When I carried this stove I would remove the pump, pump the fuel out with a few strokes and just leave it in my steel cooking pot while in my pack and never noticed a smell or leak. It doesn't really hold fuel all that well and is usually dry even before putting it into my pack.

But like I said, I've switched to a pocket rocket and really enjoy the size and simplicity much more. I don't do a lot of snow camping or really high altitude stuff so the smaller stoves work fine for me.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Verman posted:

Ah okay I got it. When I carried this stove I would remove the pump, pump the fuel out with a few strokes and just leave it in my steel cooking pot while in my pack and never noticed a smell or leak. It doesn't really hold fuel all that well and is usually dry even before putting it into my pack.

But like I said, I've switched to a pocket rocket and really enjoy the size and simplicity much more. I don't do a lot of snow camping or really high altitude stuff so the smaller stoves work fine for me.

Yeah, white gas does evaporate very quickly.

When looking at stoves, I didn't like the disposable nature of the canisters.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hey all, my wife and I are traveling out to Tetons and Yellowstone the second week of September. neither of us are particularly conditioned or in the best of shape but we enjoy a challenge and appreciate the chance to see things along the less-travelled path (read: hate crowds, love views, love remoteness).

I'm looking for some advice on moderate difficulty day hikes within the parks that are maybe less traveled and unique, compared to the obvious road overlooks and famous sights. Anyone have any experience hiking in September in the Tetons?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
A Ranger's Guide to Yellowstone Day Hikes is a good book to start with. I haven't done much hiking myself as I always have dogs with me. Remember to get some bear spray. I have yet to see any wolves but I always see bears in Yellowstone...

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
We really like the Falcon guide: hiking in yellowstone.

We'll be leaving when you are arriving, that's assuming we're able to find a camp site.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Sweet, thanks, I will try to catch them. we have some lonely planet guides we plan to use also.

My wife just reiterated to me how she isn't up for long distance or strenuous hiking, which is disappointing to me, but I don't think I will be disappointed in the destination. Can't wait to see this place and get the hell out of Maryland for two weeks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bear canisters are some wasting bastards.

But I managed to pack four days of food and snacks into my ULA circuit. Total pack weight is 19 pounds for me and 17 for her, a bit more than I wanted but I tend to overpack with a first aid kit and what not.

Probably trade in my whisperlite for my alcohol stove after this trip.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Bear canisters are some wasting bastards.

But I managed to pack four days of food and snacks into my ULA circuit. Total pack weight is 19 pounds for me and 17 for her, a bit more than I wanted but I tend to overpack with a first aid kit and what not.

Probably trade in my whisperlite for my alcohol stove after this trip.

Which one are you packing? I'm picking up a Bear Vault BV500 this weekend for my hike next weekend.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

Which one are you packing? I'm picking up a Bear Vault BV500 this weekend for my hike next weekend.

We also bought a BV500. I have four days worth of food packed into it so I shouldn't complain to loudly.

I put my spare change of clothes and rain jacket in the bottom of the pack. Then I placed the BV500 over those and stuffed my sleeping bag around the vault, the remainder of my stuff went on top. There are reports of rain and snow in the high country so I will repack it before we start.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I just did a test load for my pack with the bear can and 12 pounds of weight inside to simulate about 7 days' worth of food. My 75L pack sits really well and comfortably and weighs 37lbs, which I can deal with just fine. I'm pretty happy with things at the moment.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I spent a stupid amount of money on lightweight gear to get to 19 pounds. The pack is awesome and I have used it as a camera bag. I hope to drop some more weight with an alcohol : wood stove one day but today I have a whisperlite and fuel cans, but the REI across the street is calling my name.

In a weird ground hog way we are again spending the morning before an adventure in the urgent care. Apparently my wife's bladder hates adventure..

REI is the kryptonite to my wallet - bought some stupid prana pants

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

What's a good tent to take backpacking? I was looking at the REI Passage 2 which has plenty of interior space, but the bag itself seems kinda big.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

What's a good tent to take backpacking? I was looking at the REI Passage 2 which has plenty of interior space, but the bag itself seems kinda big.

Just for you?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

I like my Kelty Trailridge 2. If you have a partner you can split the load easy enough. It might be a wee bit too heavy for a single person though.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

No the tent will be for me and my wife. I am not so much concerned with the space as the actual physical size of the tent itself when packed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

No the tent will be for me and my wife. I am not so much concerned with the space as the actual physical size of the tent itself when packed.

I have it. It's nice and I don't see upgrading anytime soon. I've had it about 4 years now and use it for solo and 2 person trips. It's nice solo as it goes you plenty of space inside for you and gear. Vestibules are nice, weight isn't bad, price is real nice. For better packability pack things individually. Tent stakes and poles in the pile bag, floor and rain fly in another.

The dome series tents are also nice but more expensive.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Verman posted:

I have it. It's nice and I don't see upgrading anytime soon. I've had it about 4 years now and use it for solo and 2 person trips. It's nice solo as it goes you plenty of space inside for you and gear. Vestibules are nice, weight isn't bad, price is real nice. For better packability pack things individually. Tent stakes and poles in the pile bag, floor and rain fly in another.

The dome series tents are also nice but more expensive.

Does it pack down more if you have a compression sack? The packaging it is in at the store makes it seem big as gently caress, weight seemed ok I was just concerned about how bulky it felt like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I finally settled on my gear list for California next Friday. I'm sure I'm taking something redundant somewhere, but this should cover me well enough. Gonna dump some pictures on you guys when I get back.

Unless I die. Then no pictures.