Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I consider gumball my favourite series on cartoon network right now, lots of laughs, snappy dialogue, very creative with a sharp wit. I think as a piece of pure entertainment it has more earnestness in it than the other shows do. I definitely think it deserves top billing.

Also, the Dad Rabbit character 'Richard' is surprisingly well developed and very well realized. I died laughing at his bread dreams.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There were more episodes focused on Finn being a sadsack over FP than there were episodes focused on his relationship with FP.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed what I saw but I was reluctant to binge it because I heard it started with an overreliance on bad jokes like the Gross-Out Humour of chin girl (failing to) eat or constantly vomiting.

Season 1 is definitely the weakest (though even then grossout humor is a bit rare)

Macaluso posted:

Star vs The Forces of Evil

Actually star vs IS developing a bit of a plot, around the same time (episode number wise) SU started doing so

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Magic Sword guys get a cartoon but not Lakewood Plaza Turbo?! :mad:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Season 1 is definitely the weakest (though even then grossout humor is a bit rare)

Yeah, season 2 is where the show hits its stride, especially the season finale and going into season 3, where they start to dip their toes into metahumor. Example: The season 3 premiere is literally about the voice actors for Gumball and Darwin becoming too old to play the parts.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

The Magic Sword guys get a cartoon but not Lakewood Plaza Turbo?! :mad:

An animator union blog had revealed a few months back that both OK KO (which is what Lakewood Plaza Turbo is called now) and Long Live the Royals are getting full series

Plus there's the mobile game and the shorts from a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAW07aPQMFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3ZI4a0YUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxIEr20QzI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It kinda makes sense that OK KO got a full series. They wouldn't have had Ian leave SU to manage an iPhone beat'em up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

An animator union blog had revealed a few months back that both OK KO (which is what Lakewood Plaza Turbo is called now) and Long Live the Royals are getting full series

Plus there's the mobile game and the shorts from a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAW07aPQMFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3ZI4a0YUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxIEr20QzI

Oh okay, I was really worried that one of the better ones was still being ignored.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Oh okay, I was really worried that one of the better ones was still being ignored.

I can't find the video now but apparently it was being used as a guinea pig for some weird marketing idea CN was going for by establishing a lot of the spin off stuff before the show itself (one CN exec was going on about "interactive worlds" or something)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

There were more episodes focused on Finn being a sadsack over FP than there were episodes focused on his relationship with FP.

That and the weird Lemongrab/Lemonhope plot turned me off the show quite hard, cause the former has left a huge gaping hole in Finn's personality even now that he's mostly over it(doesn't help that Finn's competence at pretty much anything has almost completely disappeared at this point, really comes off as the staff not liking him anymore, and that the only reason they haven't written him off is cause he's technically still the main character, even if the show is barely about him anymore), while the latter just felt completely nonsensical even by this show's standards(really don't get why PB went ahead with the whole Lemonhope plot when it would have been simpler and easier to just have Finn or Rattleballs take Lemongrab down, the latter could have done it in seconds in fact, actually there's been a ton of situations since Rattleballs' debut that could have easily been resolved by him, and instead we haven't seen him at all since, without even the slightest bit of explanation as to why PB hasn't been using him despite him being her most potent resource)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

That and the weird Lemongrab/Lemonhope plot turned me off the show quite hard, cause the former has left a huge gaping hole in Finn's personality even now that he's mostly over it(doesn't help that Finn's competence at pretty much anything has almost completely disappeared at this point, really comes off as the staff not liking him anymore, and that the only reason they haven't written him off is cause he's technically still the main character, even if the show is barely about him anymore), while the latter just felt completely nonsensical even by this show's standards(really don't get why PB went ahead with the whole Lemonhope plot when it would have been simpler and easier to just have Finn or Rattleballs take Lemongrab down, the latter could have done it in seconds in fact, actually there's been a ton of situations since Rattleballs' debut that could have easily been resolved by him, and instead we haven't seen him at all since, without even the slightest bit of explanation as to why PB hasn't been using him despite him being her most potent resource)

seasons 6 and 7 return the focus back to finn

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Has Adventure Time returned to being Fartsy and not Artsy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's still kinda lost something, though. I just can't get into it anymore.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mace Bacon posted:

Has Adventure Time returned to being Fartsy and not Artsy?

I think that season 6 was peak Artsy. Season 7 is a bit less so.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

It's still kinda lost something, though. I just can't get into it anymore.

Yeah. It's gotten better recently but the series never fully recovered from loosing Pen Ward's amazing sense of humor. I think it MIGHT have done ok by leaning on the story and becoming a more plot-driven affair, but unfortunately the staff had never actually gamed out where they were going with anything so the series just sort of floundered around doing whatever until it had become a huge mess narratively. It's a shame too because the show had a ton of potential at one point.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Yeah. It's gotten better recently but the series never fully recovered from loosing Pen Ward's amazing sense of humor. I think it MIGHT have done ok by leaning on the story and becoming a more plot-driven affair, but unfortunately the staff had never actually gamed out where they were going with anything so the series just sort of floundered around doing whatever until it had driven its entire fanbase over to SU. It's a shame too because the show had a ton of potential at one point.

I've heard that Pen was actually the one who encouraged the change in direction in the first place (He's still on the show, though he stopped being involved in outlines after Stakes, outside of The Music Hole, whose outline also involved Pat McHale, who had left AT back in mid-season 5 and was heavily involved in the show's writing prior to leaving)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think I read that Pen was focusing on the movie? Is that still happening?

Even though I haven't really kept up with Adventure Time I would still go see a movie for it

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Even though I haven't really kept up with Adventure Time I would still go see a movie for it

:agreed:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Macaluso posted:

I think I read that Pen was focusing on the movie? Is that still happening?

Yeah it's still happening (it was apparently announced extremely early into production). Season 9 has also been confirmed (unlike with Regular show, where Season 8 was recently confirmed to be the final season)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm grateful to adventure time for putting some of the most nonstandard and bizarre and paychedelic poo poo on television this side of adult swim for an earlier audience, I like the idea that when I watch a show I'll never really know what the hell I'll be seeing more than a consistent lore... But I'm kind of tired of the show too. I don't feel like making the effort to watch a ten minute episode a lot of the time: I think it's just kind of too old, missed a lot of chances to do interesting things, I'm okay with the characters but don't really want to go out of my way to see more of them, the way the characters talk gets hella on my nerves sometimes... Think the show had a good run and they should make new ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The last two episodes of Adventure Time I watched:

One was marketed as a battle of the bands with music by a special guest. Me: Awesome!
Reality: Turned into some weird artsy bullshit

The other was marketed as the return of Card Wars. Me: Great!
Reality: Turned into some weird artsy bullshit

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'd say Adventure Time has outlived its usefulness and its time to put it down. It's already being replaced in both sort of action and comedy by returning legacy shows or the new forefronters like Gumball or Steven Universe. Anything that AT could do now it either couldn't pull off or other shows have already beaten it to the punch. Give it a Titans in Tokyo send off movie and let it die.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

I'd say Adventure Time has outlived its usefulness and its time to put it down. It's already being replaced in both sort of action and comedy by returning legacy shows or the new forefronters like Gumball or Steven Universe. Anything that AT could do now it either couldn't pull off or other shows have already beaten it to the punch. Give it a Titans in Tokyo send off movie and let it die.

Both AT and RS haven't gotten the best treatment from the network: They never air episodes outside of premiers, premiers can be about as spotty as SU (RS gets better treatment in this regard than AT but still), and they were both moved to a saturday block (until it became apparent that doing so caused ratings to tank). Yet paradoxially (given how RS is slightly treated better by the network than AT), AT is getting a season 9 while RS isn't

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's nothing stopping Adventure Time from being good, just the makers of it have no interest in anything other than navel-gazing or obtuse bullshit that I couldn't begin to care about. There's no more adventures left for Finn and Jake to have, it seems. All of Ooo has been charted, there's only the unstoppable creep of lore and Finn's despair.

Regular Show, on the other hand, has managed to stay as strong as it ever was. They've been going on the same wacky adventures as they always have, and they managed to slip in some nice character arcs into the whole thing without ruining the dynamic. Rigby got his high school degree, Muscleman got married, Benson's life is picking up, and Mordecai had his own share of moping after some failed relationships without it completely dominating the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know about the last part, they had a long stretch of Mordecai relationship drama that was excruciating to watch.

Dunno how it went after that because it was shortly thereafter when they started loving with the schedule and took it off their afternoon run-this-poo poo-into-the-ground rotation and I've seen maybe 1 or 2 episodes since.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 21, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
See I like Adventure Time because it's even changing and is often finally what its creator wants while I got sick of Regular Show because it felt like the same thing over and over

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus 98% of finn's relationship moping stopped after Breezy (only showing up a few more times).

Like off the top of my head I can name The Mountain (where it wasn't the focus), Flute Spell (which had a different relationship), and Bun Bun
(which was essentially it's resolution, with Finn and FP being on good, non-romantic terms again) with a nod to it in Hall of Egress and if I'm missing other examples then they're probably just one or two more

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 21, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Both AT and RS haven't gotten the best treatment from the network: They never air episodes outside of premiers, premiers can be about as spotty as SU (RS gets better treatment in this regard than AT but still), and they were both moved to a saturday block (until it became apparent that doing so caused ratings to tank). Yet paradoxially (given how RS is slightly treated better by the network than AT), AT is getting a season 9 while RS isn't

Personally I think why Regular Show has been treated so crappily since around Season 3 or so is cause of all the trouble it brought the network internationally due to it's attempts at being relatively risqué by children's television standards in the first two seasons which lead to a bunch of censorship happening(after they stopped doing that the show started to decline in my opinion as that was honestly it's main selling point in my opinion), so the higher ups have been treating it awfully ever since, only reason they waited so long to can it was cause it was still getting decent ratings and they needed it to help fill the lineup of shows

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Weird artsy bullshit is good, there aren't many shows willing to get as obtuse as Adventure Time and I will miss it when it's gone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The obtuse poo poo isn't good, though, it's just obtuse for the loving sake of it and isn't actually compelling

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

plus 98% of finn's relationship moping stopped after Breezy (only showing up a few more times).

Yes but then it replaced that with Fin moping over his daddy issues for the rest of season 6. Then in Season 7 he breaks Fin-Sword and is currently all mopey about that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Yes but then it replaced that with Fin moping over his daddy issues for the rest of season 6. Then in Season 7 he breaks Fin-Sword and is currently all mopey about that.

his finn sword moping was only for two episodes (I am a Sword and Music Hole, the latter appearing to mostly serve as an end to said moping) and that was late into the season anyways

though it looks like his mother is gonna be involved with the next season so maybe he'll mope about that.

to be honest I didn't catch up with adventure time until mid-season 6 so I breezed through most of the relationship moping instead of wading through it week to week

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 21, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think why Regular Show has been treated so crappily since around Season 3 or so is cause of all the trouble it brought the network internationally due to it's attempts at being relatively risqué by children's television standards in the first two seasons which lead to a bunch of censorship happening(after they stopped doing that the show started to decline in my opinion as that was honestly it's main selling point in my opinion), so the higher ups have been treating it awfully ever since, only reason they waited so long to can it was cause it was still getting decent ratings and they needed it to help fill the lineup of shows

I haven't seen RS in a long time since Season 1, what was the risque stuff that got let in and what did they change?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't seen RS in a long time since Season 1, what was the risque stuff that got let in and what did they change?

I don't know what changes have been made but the risque stuff has always been fairly obvious like "soda" being code for booze.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

I don't know what changes have been made but the risque stuff has always been fairly obvious like "soda" being code for booze.
I'm pretty sure that's what Wings/Wingsauce are for Benson right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what Wings/Wingsauce are for Benson right?

Yeah, "soda" is beer and Wing Kingdom is basically a thinly-veiled bar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've even sang a song about drinking soda out of brown paper bags.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Neeksy posted:

I liked that they actually got a Japanese studio to do the fighting segments than trying to do a lovely facsimile of the style like most shows do that are based on conceptions of it that are more than two decades out of date (a la Futurama's parody). It's not top-of-the-line animation but it's reflective of the standard for contemporary TV anime, which kids watching online would more easily recognize stylistically.

they should've gotten imaishi

in fact i'm not really sure studio 4C does anything other than contract work for other companies. they don't actually make normal anime

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkMHzTaiHA

yes it is the same creators as Phineas and Ferb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

AT pushes more merch and has a broader reach across demos than RS I think