Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Ynglaur posted:

No desktop for me. I travel for work. Thus, my little Asus external is what I get. I love Dolby Headphone, though.

Asus Xonar U3 has Dolby Headphone support as well. (though it has high output impedance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Constellation I posted:

Asus Xonar U3 has Dolby Headphone support as well. (though it has high output impedance)

That's what I use. It's great.

In monitor chat, how pervasive do people think 120hz displays will get in laptops now that the nVidia 10-series are out?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
They already have been announced. I expect they'll stay pretty niche, though, and expensive as gently caress; gaming laptops are already pretty low-volume, and now you're talking the upper crust (since it makes no sense to pair a 120Hz panel with a 1060 or lower) of that small pie slice, for which you have to procure a panel that will get used in basically nothing else. Pricey.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DrDork posted:

They already have been announced. I expect they'll stay pretty niche, though, and expensive as gently caress; gaming laptops are already pretty low-volume, and now you're talking the upper crust (since it makes no sense to pair a 120Hz panel with a 1060 or lower) of that small pie slice, for which you have to procure a panel that will get used in basically nothing else. Pricey.

Why wouldn't you pair a 120Hz with a 1060? I get that it wouldn't run the latest games at max ultra everything, but games even a few years old might pull 120fps, and various posters have commented that 120Hz is nice even on the desktop.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Why wouldn't you pair a 120Hz with a 1060? I get that it wouldn't run the latest games at max ultra everything, but games even a few years old might pull 120fps, and various posters have commented that 120Hz is nice even on the desktop.

Because if you're gonna go to the extra expense of throwing a 120Hz panel into a gaming laptop you might as well throw in at least the extra $150ish to get a 1070. At the price range these laptops are probably starting at, that extra cost isn't going to break the bank.

Remember, these aren't like 120Hz desktop monitor panels where the panel manufacturers can count on selling a boat-load of them and thereby reduce manufacturing costs thanks to volume. These are gonna be extremely low-volume by comparison, and hence expensive.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DrDork posted:

Because if you're gonna go to the extra expense of throwing a 120Hz panel into a gaming laptop you might as well throw in at least the extra $150ish to get a 1070. At the price range these laptops are probably starting at, that extra cost isn't going to break the bank.

Remember, these aren't like 120Hz desktop monitor panels where the panel manufacturers can count on selling a boat-load of them and thereby reduce manufacturing costs thanks to volume. These are gonna be extremely low-volume by comparison, and hence expensive.

TDP could be a constraint. I can't imagine anyone fitting 150W in anything smaller than a 15" chassis (though I could be wrong), but even people with smaller screens may want 120Hz.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

Battery life, as well. Having a GPU run hard in a laptop to provide a little extra smoothness where most people wouldn't care about it is a battery killer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
*sync is going to be the laptop game changer for monitors, realistically; under powered GPU will benefit because of the matching, and high powered GPU could benefit because many of the *Sync panels are capable of going a little bit higher refresh rates (lots of 75 hz *Sync panels).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

TDP could be a constraint. I can't imagine anyone fitting 150W in anything smaller than a 15" chassis (though I could be wrong), but even people with smaller screens may want 120Hz.

No one has announced any <17" 120Hz laptops AFAIK, so this may be the case.

In any event, it'll still be few years before high-Hz panels really start moving into the laptop space.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm still having issues with my xb271hu in borderless window with my 1070. Is it normal for the framerate to heavily drop from fullscreen? Even in an old game like WoW I'll get below 30 fps sometimes and other times it's just not smooth at all.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I recently saw news of a couple samsung VA monitors coming out with gsync and freesync, as well as an ultrawide. I would how those will stand up, especially given the can get 1ms on VA.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

KingKapalone posted:

I'm still having issues with my xb271hu in borderless window with my 1070. Is it normal for the framerate to heavily drop from fullscreen? Even in an old game like WoW I'll get below 30 fps sometimes and other times it's just not smooth at all.

No, not normally. List some games that it's happening in and I'll test it on mine if I own the game. I also have a xb271hu and a 1070 (evga acx 3.0). cpu wise it's just an i5-3550 with 16 gigs of ram

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now that I pulled the trigger on a 1070 card I want to get a new monitor. My current monitor is a 5-year-old ASUS 1080p monitor and I want to get a better monitor but I'm happy with 1080p resolution so what's a good 1080p monitor that uses a IPS panel and/or runs at 120Hz? I haven't shopped for a new monitor for so long I'm not sure what to get. Like I said I'm happy with 1080p I just want a monitor with better color and refresh rate.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spasticColon posted:

Now that I pulled the trigger on a 1070 card I want to get a new monitor. My current monitor is a 5-year-old ASUS 1080p monitor and I want to get a better monitor but I'm happy with 1080p resolution so what's a good 1080p monitor that uses a IPS panel and/or runs at 120Hz? I haven't shopped for a new monitor for so long I'm not sure what to get. Like I said I'm happy with 1080p I just want a monitor with better color and refresh rate.

There are no high refresh 1080p IPS panels, you have to go up to 1440p for that. As far as IPS panels go the Dell P2414H or U2414H are both good choices. For high refresh panels it's probably better to save up and get a 1440p/IPS/144Hz/Gsync one, I honestly can't recommend the high refresh TN panels.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
Does anyone have any experience with the AOC G2460PF Freesync monitor? Whenever I change the refresh rate to 144hz, the screen constantly flickers. When I dial it down to 120hz, it disappears. I'm running this on an RX 470 with the latest AMD drivers installed.

streetsonfire
Apr 18, 2013

And I don't know what's good
for me

KingKapalone posted:

The same thing happens to me sometimes when I first boot up my PC. Dedicated fullscreen works fine, it's just fullscreen borderless that gets bad frame rates, and the weird thing is if I switch to another window and leave the game running in the background it will go full speed and switching back to it will drop the frame rate again.

It eventually fixes itself if I enable/disable gsync a bunch of times or dick around with other settings in the nvida panel or even rebooting my computer, but I haven't been able to figure out which one, if any, actually fixes the problem.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
What's a good IPS display for a combination of photo editing and gaming these days? I don't need crazy mad refresh rates & response times, but I at least need it responsive enough to not drive me bonkers while I'm playing CSGO or Overwatch.

Would like to upgrade to 1440p since I'm currently on 1080p (5 year old ASUS with TN panel).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

I'm currently on 1080p (5 year old ASUS with TN panel).

Sup, 5 year old ASUS 1080p monitor with TN panel buddy? :buddy:

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Phoenixan posted:

What's a good IPS display for a combination of photo editing and gaming these days? I don't need crazy mad refresh rates & response times, but I at least need it responsive enough to not drive me bonkers while I'm playing CSGO or Overwatch.

Would like to upgrade to 1440p since I'm currently on 1080p (5 year old ASUS with TN panel).

I would look at Dell Ultra Sharp monitors. They all come factory calibrated for color IIRC. Just pick the size you want, they all seem to be IPS.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I wonder how the new VA panels from samsung are gonna be. There are a 24" 1080p with freesync, a 27" 1440p with g-sync, and a couple ultrawides (dunno if they have adaptive syncs), all with 1ms response time, 144 hz (except for the ultrawide), viewing angles typical of IPS, "quantum dot" backlights or whatever, and curved. How are VA panels compared to IPS?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wonder how the new VA panels from samsung are gonna be. There are a 24" 1080p with freesync, a 27" 1440p with g-sync, and a couple ultrawides (dunno if they have adaptive syncs), all with 1ms response time, 144 hz (except for the ultrawide), viewing angles typical of IPS, "quantum dot" backlights or whatever, and curved. How are VA panels compared to IPS?
VA is better in a lot of ways: no IPS glow, excellent black levels, 3x to 5x the contrast ratio, and decent colour accuracy. Usually the downside is response time.

Are they actually VA though? AHVA is an IPS equivalent with all the usual characteristics.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
AHVA is AOCAUO's panels iirc. These are made by samsung, who calls their IPS-alike PLS. These are true samsung-made VA, unless AOC somehow got 1ms response times on their panels and samsung is using them (which, considering samsung, is laughable. The only reason the US S7s are using snapdragons is so they could get the qualcomm contract to manufacture their processors). I'll try and find the article I saw at work, but I might have wait until monday so I can see the news link again.

I'm regretting buying the korean ips I have now. I could get an employee discount!

Here's an article on the 24" one: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-c24fg70-144-hz-va-full-hd-freesync.html

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 21, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AHVA is AOC's panels iirc. These are made by samsung, who calls their IPS-alike PLS. These are true samsung-made VA, unless AOC somehow got 1ms response times on their panels and samsung is using them (which, considering samsung, is laughable. The only reason the US S7s are using snapdragons is so they could get the qualcomm contract to manufacture their processors). I'll try and find the article I saw at work, but I might have wait until monday so I can see the news link again.

I'm regretting buying the korean ips I have now. I could get an employee discount!

Here's an article on the 24" one: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-c24fg70-144-hz-va-full-hd-freesync.html

Small correction, the company that makes the AHVA panels is called AUOptronics. They're related to Acer, not AOC.

This is also the answer to the question of why Acer suddenly went from crappy office monitors to bleeding-edge gaming panels.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, that's what I meant :downs:

Strings of letters are east to mix up for me...

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Samsung CF791 (34" 3440x1440)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SYeb2zQ6fI

What's everyone's opinions on how much curve your ultrawide needs? Are there any cons to the curve?

The only criticism I could find was that the HardwareCanucks didn't like it for professional work because it hurts his line composition.

Would a VA panel benefit in the same way as IPS?

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 21, 2016

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I have a PG279Q and I am getting an odd issue, occasionally: Something like a 2-3 pixel stripe from top to bottom will get shifted over to the left side of the screen. It only happens when I start up or when going full-screen for a game.

Changing the refresh rate from 144Hz to something else and back again resolves it. Or, if I'm in a game, I can alt-tab and it will stop.

It's more of a minor annoyance than anything else, but does anyone know what causes this? Given the symptoms and the fix it seems like some kind of weird driver issue. (But, it's been happening over multiple NVIDIA driver versions, so...)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Curve is a very good thing for ultrawides unless you very specifically need to get your lines just right. VA would benefit similarly because a lot of it is just that the edges are very visibly at an angle to you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

pocket pool posted:

I have a PG279Q and I am getting an odd issue, occasionally: Something like a 2-3 pixel stripe from top to bottom will get shifted over to the left side of the screen. It only happens when I start up or when going full-screen for a game.

Changing the refresh rate from 144Hz to something else and back again resolves it. Or, if I'm in a game, I can alt-tab and it will stop.

It's more of a minor annoyance than anything else, but does anyone know what causes this? Given the symptoms and the fix it seems like some kind of weird driver issue. (But, it's been happening over multiple NVIDIA driver versions, so...)

Did you enable g-sync in the nvidia drivers? Maybe it's trying and failing to do something related to that?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Deviant posted:

Did you enable g-sync in the nvidia drivers? Maybe it's trying and failing to do something related to that?

I did but only in full screen. From some other research I'm wondering I that is the reason. (Enabling it in full screen only as opposed to full screen and windowed.)

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 21, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are no high refresh 1080p IPS panels, you have to go up to 1440p for that. As far as IPS panels go the Dell P2414H or U2414H are both good choices. For high refresh panels it's probably better to save up and get a 1440p/IPS/144Hz/Gsync one, I honestly can't recommend the high refresh TN panels.

Those Dell monitors look nice and are priced to sell but now I'm thinking of getting a 21:9 ultrawide or are those overrated?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spasticColon posted:

Those Dell monitors look nice and are priced to sell but now I'm thinking of getting a 21:9 ultrawide or are those overrated?

They aren't over rated but most people recommend at least a 3440x1440/34" model, the smaller ones feel pretty small due to the lack of hight on the screen relative to the width, if you do want to try that route there is the Dell U2913WM which is fairly cheap, if you want to get a big one then the Dell U3415W has a really nice image and is curved, the curve is really important once you get to the larger ultrawides because without it there will be color shift at the corners due to the angle of the screen relative to your head.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

spasticColon posted:

Not overrated at all, I love the hell out of mine, but the 2560x1080 ones aren't something I really recommend, since they're a shorter 2560x1440 rather than a wider one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
LOL I just discovered my LG TV's remote somehow controls my crossover korean monitor :psyduck: How the gently caress does that happen?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I used to joke that monitors would become so wide that only Geordi LaForge could use them. Now it's nearly true :v:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Do you have a Frys nearby? They have many of the monitors mentioned in this thread on display.

And yes ultrawides are awesome because of the extra peripheral vision. Its like playing games on a cinema screen.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 22, 2016

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

pocket pool posted:

I did but only in full screen. From some other research I'm wondering I that is the reason. (Enabling it in full screen only as opposed to full screen and windowed.)

I play in borderless window mode with GSync enabled and have a similar problem with my XB271HU. Alt-tabbing does not fix the problem for me, but turning the monitor off and on again does.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Souffle posted:

I play in borderless window mode with GSync enabled and have a similar problem with my XB271HU. Alt-tabbing does not fix the problem for me, but turning the monitor off and on again does.
:same:

This happened to me a couple of times too, it's probably some obscure firmware timing bug. Thankfully it only takes two seconds to power cycle it away.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LOL I just discovered my LG TV's remote somehow controls my crossover korean monitor :psyduck: How the gently caress does that happen?
It seems reasonable that a Korean manufacturer would just steal the documented remote control codes from another established Korean manufacturer, rather than going to the effort of developing their own codes that people wouldn't be able to use. This way they can just tell people to buy a universal remote and set it to LG.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Alereon posted:

It seems reasonable that a Korean manufacturer would just steal the documented remote control codes from another established Korean manufacturer, rather than going to the effort of developing their own codes that people wouldn't be able to use. This way they can just tell people to buy a universal remote and set it to LG.

Yeah, though if I were them I'd copy Samsung...

vvv *her

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

it means his monitor has an ir receiver though which is weird. Assuming your remote is ir.