Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally went and beat Blue version on 3DS last night. I rolled up to Indigo Plateau with my party in the low 40s, one of them not even fully evolved (Dragonair), and a couple others without their final movesets. (Why do you learn Sleep Powder so late, Venusaur, why?!)

But I decided "gently caress it. Let's see how this goes!"

So long story short, that was the lowest level I've ever beaten the Gen 1 Pokemon League. Barely had any guys faint, even. My Slowbro ended up the highest level at the end (46), and really could have solo'd the whole thing if I'd let him. But that's boring, so I didn't do that. It was hilarious watching Lance's Dragonite flail ineffectually with Barrier while my Venusaur's Leech Seed and Toxic combo just made his health... disappear. Like, he used a Hyper Potion and his Dragonite was dead the very next turn. Hilarious!

Team Break the Game was a huge success! But now I really wish I could use these guys in Pokemon Stadium or something, to really test them out against something besides the dumb-as-dirt AI. I mean... Stadium's AI was still dumb as dirt, but at least their Pokemon had real movesets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I mean, this was like 17 years ago when we didn't know gently caress-all for the mechanics just yet so don't blame me!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do i do with pokemiles i forget

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Get items online to transfer to your game like revives and rare candies and vitamins

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mandatory lesbian posted:

HGSS actually pulled a lot of stuff from crystal which makes ORAS slavish devotion to the original story that much more disappointing

Well, it still had it's awful level curve and did remove the ability to get a Phanpy/Teddiursa early, but otherwise, yeah. It wasn't as bad of a region as ORAS where every other encounter is a Poochyena or Zigzagoon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The perfect pokemon game would at the very least have XY's fashion options and HG/SS/Yellow's Pokemon visibly following you

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

And ORAS removed Sableye/Mawile/Nosepass/Aron by blocking off the lower areas of Granite cave when you could immediately go down in the originals. Its real dumb!

idk wtf youre talking about re: aron because i definitely had a rock head head smash aron before my third badge that i dex nav'd

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So I guess the guy who won Worlds just gave the finger to the stream.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
He sounds real cool

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
So I'm finally finishing up Alpha Sapphire in preparation for Sun/Moon and I'm just blown away by how many legendaries you have access to in the late-game. :psyduck: I've counted over 20 you can get without having to trade for other ones which gets you access to even more!

Was there a reason they decided to just dump a shitload of legendaries in the sky?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I admit I haven't played anything past rby hgss and xy so I don't know about the other guys but is there a main villain/team as incompetent and idiotic as Lysandre and Team Flare?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nemo07 posted:

So I'm finally finishing up Alpha Sapphire in preparation for Sun/Moon and I'm just blown away by how many legendaries you have access to in the late-game. :psyduck: I've counted over 20 you can get without having to trade for other ones which gets you access to even more!

Was there a reason they decided to just dump a shitload of legendaries in the sky?

Because otherwise they wouldn't be obtainable in gen 6.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

XY and ORAS have the perfect Pokemon game mechanics if you combine them.

Like, if you mixed dress-up, skating, and a wide selection of Pokemon with soaring and Dexnav it'd be amazing.

That's why I'm so excited for gen 7! It can all be perfect this time!

Please Gamefreak: For the love of God don't remove these great features for no reason!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I admit I haven't played anything past rby hgss and xy so I don't know about the other guys but is there a main villain/team as incompetent and idiotic as Lysandre and Team Flare?

no. team galactic is filled with morons but cyrus is just taking advantage of them for his own goal anyway, and the admins are cool. i guess b2w2 team plasma comes close? flare is definitely the worst offender though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

original rse are by far the worst teams in the history of the franchise

team magma climb to the top of a volcano so they can throw some jet fuel in it and set off an eruption while they're still there at one point in the story

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nemo07 posted:

They had to push Hoopa before his movie came out. :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

team magma climb to the top of a volcano so they can throw some jet fuel in it and set off an eruption while they're still there at one point in the story

Hey man from what I understand Team Magma want the oceans gone via more landmasses and creating said landmasses with lava seems like as good as any place to get started
Meanwhile Team Flare wants to get rid of Pokemon because ???????????? and something about fashion

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I have high hopes for my boy Guzma and his team of white rappers in Hawaii

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no for real tho, team aqua/magma constantly pull a string of the dumbest bullshit over the course of the game and their goals a) don't make sense, and b) show a profound lack of understanding for how anything works

"I want to flood the world to help pokemon. but wait... the world is flooding and it's... bad???"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

So does team aqua tbf.

Calaveron posted:

Team Galactic's grunts are potentially more incompetent and their leaders wants to remake reality or something. But unlike Team Flare they're great and I love them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Manatee Cannon posted:

no for real tho, team aqua/magma constantly pull a string of the dumbest bullshit over the course of the game and their goals a) don't make sense, and b) show a profound lack of understanding for how anything works

"I want to flood the world to help pokemon. but wait... the world is flooding and it's... bad???"

At least they're trying though, you know?

Flare does, like...nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

did they? I forgot about how sapphire handled it since I had ruby and my cousin had sapphire

like for real tho, if it weren't for the protagonist of rse both teams would be straight up dead several times over because they keep pulling the stupidest poo poo. the only reason they didn't burn to death in a volcanic eruption that they themselves cause is because of you

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
team ratings:

rocket>neo-plasma>galactic>aqua>plasma>flare>magma

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

did they? I forgot about how sapphire handled it since I had ruby and my cousin had sapphire

like for real tho, if it weren't for the protagonist of rse both teams would be straight up dead several times over because they keep pulling the stupidest poo poo. the only reason they didn't burn to death in a volcanic eruption that they themselves cause is because of you

Ruby and Sapphire do their villain teams weirdly. Because the whole volcano thing seems perfect for Magma, and the underwater base for Aqua but in ruby Aqua does both and in sapphire Magma does both. And I don't think they ever quite explain why.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
plasma could have been so good, but there were only like two or three guys plus N who actually cared about helping pokemon, everyone else was just in it for the money and also some aspects weren't as explored as i hoped (altea/concordia, the sages, the subway guys, the weird monarchy thing)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neo-Plasma might be my favourite team if only because they have a flying pirate ship with a giant ice cannon that's powered by a legendary pokemon.

And also Colress' theme is really good and I like it a lot.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like Hoenn a lot, and the Gen III Pokemon are cool, but yes, Aqua and Magma were dumb as a bunch of rocks. I feel like the designers didn't really know what to do when they had to move on from Team Rocket, and possibly also that Kyogre and Groudon were conceptualized and designed before the actual plot of the game.

I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed that ORAS ignored some of Emerald's best changes, and left out the fuckin' Battle Frontier. now I'm really torn about whether I should even bother buying the game, at this point. maybe I should just save my money for Sun or Moon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

team flare sucks but mable is my girlfriend

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sharrrk posted:

team flare sucks but mable is my girlfriend

Those people had names???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't even know who that is

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i miss admins

and also enemy teams with more than four pokemon

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Get items online to transfer to your game like revives and rare candies and vitamins

You can also spend them in-game at an NPC but the prices are double what they are online.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

look at this weak poo poo, we've probably passed the point of no return wrt these games being baby tier easy but come on, surely you could have at least filled out his movesets

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man I'm just tooling around with all the secret base stuff after putting like 60 hours into this game i think it might be a pretty good game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can you spend battle points online too. i think the site is down

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aliana, Bryony, Celosia, Mable and Xerosic. Based on how solar flares are measured via intensity, either A, B, C, M and X.

Come on people.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there were that many members of team flare?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Confession: as a kid I stopped playing Pokémon after ruby. Are Gen 4 and 5 worth it and do they run on a 3ds? If I only played once of them before sun and moon, which one?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

can you spend battle points online too. i think the site is down

You only spend BP in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

GreyPowerVan posted:

Confession: as a kid I stopped playing Pokémon after ruby. Are Gen 4 and 5 worth it and do they run on a 3ds? If I only played once of them before sun and moon, which one?

yes and yes

if you're looking for (kind of) a challenge: platinum

if you're looking for nostalgia: hg/ss

if you're looking for a fresh experience and the closest thing to a plot these games have ever had: b/w

if you're looking for an all-around tight game and good variety of selection: b2/w2