Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

Look at how Nantz/Simms really deteriorated from the extra games

how could you tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

how could you tell

I'd love to do a "Worst announcer" bracket of some sort.

Nantz/Simms would be up there.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 21, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Other than Simms who might be the absolute worst right now, across sports Gus Johnson is both the best and worst. Best at the NCAA BB tournament :rip: (hire him back CBS). Worst at UFC and for some reason soccer--who in the world thought that was a good experiment to run?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think Tirico is good. Not Al Michaels good but better than just about everyone CBS and Fox throw out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think Tirico is good. Not Al Michaels good but better than just about everyone CBS and Fox throw out.

I'm cool with Tirico too.

Grittybeard posted:

Other than Simms who might be the absolute worst right now, across sports Gus Johnson is both the best and worst. Best at the NCAA BB tournament :rip: (hire him back CBS). Worst at UFC and for some reason soccer--who in the world thought that was a good experiment to run?

Fox did. They basically threw him into the deep end calling the FA Cup and Champions League in the hopes he'd pick it up well enough to get ready for the 2018/2022 world cup since they got those rights.

He had a pretty funny reference to that whole experiment during a TCU/WVU football game last year..

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

The NASCAR on Fox team is extremely bad. I know that much.

I'd argue the NBA on ABC team is bad when they go full podcast during telecasts, but they were actually pretty good during this year's finals. (though that could be me viewing those finals with rose colored glasses for obvious reasons).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to do a "Worst announcer" bracket of some sort.

Hawk Harrelson Region: Unbearable local homer
Reggie Miller Region: Analyst so bad he ruins a GOAT play-by-play guy
Joe Buck Region: Every single football announcing team not Michaels/Collinsworth
gently caress You Baseball Playoffs Region: It is apparently impossible for there to be a single national baseball broadcast that isn't awful (except A-Rod)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hawk Harrelson Region: Unbearable local homer
Reggie Miller Region: Analyst so bad he ruins a GOAT play-by-play guy
Joe Buck Region: Every single football announcing team not Michaels/Collinsworth
gently caress You Baseball Playoffs Region: It is apparently impossible for there to be a single national baseball broadcast that isn't awful (except A-Rod)

I like this!

I have a bad feeling that Austin Carr will be in the Harrelson region. I know the NBA thread doesn't like him, but in Cleveland he's beloved. I hear Bob Lamey is disliked by most in the Colts fanbase, so he'd be in there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like this!

I have a bad feeling that Austin Carr will be in the Harrelson region. I know the NBA thread doesn't like him, but in Cleveland he's beloved. I hear Bob Lamey is disliked by most in the Colts fanbase, so he'd be in there.

I never got the hate for absurd homerism from color commentators. It's part of the fun, as long as there's some balance from the PBP guy. I don't know baseball but Hawk's bigger issue seems to be that he's an idiot and a racist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Homerism is one thing but it can get really really unbearable after a while.

See: Root Sports Penguins team, and jesus christ Mickey Redmond please retire and get off Red Wings broadcasts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Homerism is fine, homerism when you spend the entire game bitching about refs and other players is unbearable, homerism where you scream about how yer playin' this game UNDER PROTEST DADGUM IT is kind of amusing, homerism when you are physically incapable of calling an opposing walk-off home run is kind of amazing, but it goes with all the other stuff.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I can't stand whenever I tune into sportscenter and they'll lead with a John Sterling call.

Also for reference, here's Austin Carr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz4j0epMXuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1M2JruYLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajzcDbQ9UQE

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Niwrad posted:

I like Tirico plenty as an announcer, and have a ton of respect that he can cover so many sports and still sound so well informed. He's also a sexual harassing piece of garbage and I'd be fine if he were discarded for that reason, but in a vacuum his announcing skills are fine. I might be weird though, I'm hugely happy Randy Moss is gaining more traction, if I could listen to him for game coverage I'd be thrilled.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jon Barry is actually worse than Reggie Miller in every way possible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Homerism is fine, homerism when you spend the entire game bitching about refs and other players is unbearable, homerism where you scream about how yer playin' this game UNDER PROTEST DADGUM IT is kind of amusing, homerism when you are physically incapable of calling an opposing walk-off home run is kind of amazing, but it goes with all the other stuff.

The best thing is now Steve Stone splits his time between Hawk and Jason Benetti so you get a direct comparison on how Stone is an excellent color guy but still can't save a broadcast from Hawk.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Back when the Braves were on TBS, the homerism of Skip Carey, Sutton, Van Wieren, and the rest was pretty mild and endearing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Complaining about homerism on RSN broadcasts is stupid as hell because who do you think 99% of the audience is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah for real, I want my local guy to be a huge homer

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
For the NFL, I think Chris Meyers is probably the worst play by play announcer. Dick Stockon is progressively getting worse now that age is really catching up to him.

FOX probably has the worse commentary teams total in the NFL as most of them are at best average except for their top 2 teams in Joe Buck/Troy Aikman and Kevin Burkhardt/John Lynch.

Out of the #1 team in each network for the NFL as of last year, I would put NBC (Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth), FOX (Joe Buck/Troy Aikman), ESPN (Mike Tirco/Jon Gruden), and CBS (Jim Nantz/Phil Simms).

I find Joe Buck to be a pretty commentator as I am probably in the minority of this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I give Joe Buck a little leeway because there was no way he was escaping his dad's shadow at first, and he will let cameras and mics tell a story when a huge moment happens instead of trying to make some huge call. The opposite of that latter part is Joe Beninati, who for years was trying over and over and over to have his big moment and would just fall flat.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Clive Tyldesley is routinely called one of the worst soccer commentators in the UK - he infamously once said "no defender in the world would fancy going up against Andy Carroll" 18 minutes into Carroll's international debut - but when Man United won the Champions League he absolutely nailed it. My three favourites from that game are: "Name. On. The. Trophy", "What must Lothar Matthaus be thinking, and quite frankly, who cares" and "And Solskjaer has won it" and all from an completely insane last 120 seconds or so.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I liked the baseball playoff games Dick Stockton called because he pronounced "error" in a funny way and there were a lot of errors that series he did.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

psyer posted:

For the NFL, I think Chris Meyers is probably the worst play by play announcer. Dick Stockon is progressively getting worse now that age is really catching up to him.

FOX probably has the worse commentary teams total in the NFL as most of them are at best average except for their top 2 teams in Joe Buck/Troy Aikman and Kevin Burkhardt/John Lynch.

Out of the #1 team in each network for the NFL as of last year, I would put NBC (Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth), FOX (Joe Buck/Troy Aikman), ESPN (Mike Tirco/Jon Gruden), and CBS (Jim Nantz/Phil Simms).

I find Joe Buck to be a pretty commentator as I am probably in the minority of this.

I need to find the tweet, but Myers talking down to a NASCAR fan forever cemented his status as being a douche bag. It was after a race at Talladega, and I couldn't recall what was said, but Myers took to twitter to say "Just be lucky your driver [Regan Smith] even got mentioned".. Own personal hatred? He ripped on the Indy 500 on a few occasions.

He'll be on that list. Along with Larry McReynolds.

Stockton is in the Don Criqui-zone. Criqui is still calling games despite having done it since the 60's and he's clearly past his prime. It's nice to hear his voice though. I'd put Darrell Waltrip in this category as well. An AWESOME driver that clearly needs to leave the booth at this point...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Dan Patrick just asked Tirico some question about his pocket square during the Olympics coverage, and Tirico said "you can have it for Football Night in America, if you want it." So I think he may not be happy with this turn of events

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Dan Patrick just asked Tirico some question about his pocket square during the Olympics coverage, and Tirico said "you can have it for Football Night in America, if you want it." So I think he may not be happy with this turn of events
Tirico was never going to be on the Sunday Night coverage though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

DJExile posted:

I give Joe Buck a little leeway because there was no way he was escaping his dad's shadow at first, and he will let cameras and mics tell a story when a huge moment happens instead of trying to make some huge call. The opposite of that latter part is Joe Beninati, who for years was trying over and over and over to have his big moment and would just fall flat.

That's fair, but Skip Carey was able to escape the shadow of Harry Carey and create a distinct broadcast voice. Chip still kind of sucks though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Josh Lyman posted:

Tirico was never going to be on the Sunday Night coverage though.

I think it's possible he's their guy once Al decides to hang it up. Hopefully that doesn't happen anytime soon of course.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MASN has both the nats and the O's and their broadcast teams are completely different. It fascinates me for some reason

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An example of a good homer is Chuck Swirsky. Gets excited for the home team, calls out refs for lame calls (but usually reserves it for when it's appropriate), and has a great deal of enthusiasm that seems genuine. He even has goofy catchphrases!

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ungratek posted:

MASN has both the nats and the O's and their broadcast teams are completely different. It fascinates me for some reason

Baseball broadcasters are employees of the team.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 22, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's possible he's their guy once Al decides to hang it up. Hopefully that doesn't happen anytime soon of course.

That's the general consensus. You don't leave a prime gig like MNF unless you either get immensely lowballed or you're going onto a even better guaranteed gig. Michaels is 71 so I'm sure they've talked about an exit plan.

Course, like I think I said earlier in this thread, it's not like NBC has a time-honored tradition of loving up high profile transitions, so who knows what'll happen.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/766819833505644544

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/767465456127004672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tuBUn8cNc

Best "homer" announcer to me is Tom "Hammy" Hamilton. I have a strong Cleveland bias, but he's great at it. Anytime an Indians player hits a homer or something crazy happens? People immediately want to hear his call.

I'd also nominate Jim Donovan as he gets overly excited in a similar manner.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Baseball broadcasters are employees of the team.

Thanks. You've now outed me as a huge idiot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ungratek posted:

Thanks. You've now outed me as a huge idiot

I don't know, I think it's kind of weird that the announcers work for the team and not the network.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know, I think it's kind of weird that the announcers work for the team and not the network.

It actually varies on a team-by-team basis. Until 2015, when the Cubs re-negotiated their broadcast deals to align the expiration of the radio and television contracts, Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies were employees of WGN-TV, but effective January of '15 they became employees of the Cubs organization, partially because WGN America elected to cease broadcasting baseball games.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Timby posted:

It actually varies on a team-by-team basis. Until 2015, when the Cubs re-negotiated their broadcast deals to align the expiration of the radio and television contracts, Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies were employees of WGN-TV, but effective January of '15 they became employees of the Cubs organization, partially because WGN America elected to cease broadcasting baseball games.

Wasn't that just leftover from the fact that until like 2010 the Cubs were owned by WGN's parent company?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

Wasn't that just leftover from the fact that until like 2010 the Cubs were owned by WGN's parent company?

Wouldn't make a difference, since Kasper signed his current contract in 2012 and it was simply transferred over to the Cubs as part of the new broadcast deal with WGN three years later.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I agree

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Best "homer" announcer to me is Tom "Hammy" Hamilton. I have a strong Cleveland bias, but he's great at it. Anytime an Indians player hits a homer or something crazy happens? People immediately want to hear his call.

yesssss hammy loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox Sports will make the Bundesliga opening match on Friday between Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen available on VR. Neat.