Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Stable, ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's certainly no way this won't end in tears: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/18/nasa-hopes-to-hand-international-space-station-to-a-commercial-owner-by-mid-2020s/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Having an FB account sometimes pays off when you lurk the rare warbird groups. This is a J29 and a lot of veteran pilots have joined for anecdotes and sweet stories to share just this year. Feels like it's my dutch angle.

One user recalled how he visited a certain army base with friends a certain day in the 1960s and how one J29 pilot impressed the whole gang by flying low and buzzing treelines, how he got seriously into planes that day.
That very pilot replied later in the evening, mentioning there was a group of kids looking awed spectating :unsmith:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tickets booked, will be chilling on this beach in November! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIHJdnsASA

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
No 747's coming into Princess Juliana anymore I believe, though you may see A340s

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ehnus posted:

No 747's coming into Princess Juliana anymore I believe, though you may see A340s

Yes they do, KLM 747 lands three times a week.

https://twitter.com/PTZtv/status/767375302720757764

e: but we might miss it, we're only there for a short time

e2: aha, but they're no longer arriving from October, so we'll miss them anyway. The frozen margaritas will soothe my sorrow.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Tickets booked, will be chilling on this beach in November! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIHJdnsASA

Don't swim at philipsburg beach, the water is dirty. I wouldn't swim at maho beach personally, because of what leaks out of airplanes. The French side is quiet and undeveloped. If you rent a scooter, never let it leave your sight. Scooter theft there is a racket by the rental places to fleece money out of tourists and backed up by bent cops.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips! Definitely not operating any vehicles for the duration of the trip.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

There MUST be one of these videos out there where the brakes/chocks/whatever fail and someone's prize hobby piece disappears into the distance?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Afterburning J79 run-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratUZAwM1sQ

What I don't get is why a J79 maintenance and overhaul facility is in Ft. St. John, BC.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
so apparently Boeing had a proposal to utilize a Strike Eagle as the first stage of a space launch vehicle....it's like ASAT on massive steroids

:stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ehnus posted:

Afterburning J79 run-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratUZAwM1sQ

What I don't get is why a J79 maintenance and overhaul facility is in Ft. St. John, BC.

They also rebuild industrial gas turbines based on those same turbojets, they're mostly used to pump natural gas and oil from what he's said, along with small-scale power generation in remote areas. Fighter jet engines are just a side business.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Enourmo posted:

They also rebuild industrial gas turbines based on those same turbojets, they're mostly used to pump natural gas and oil from what he's said, along with small-scale power generation in remote areas. Fighter jet engines are just a side business.

There's nothing small about a 10,000 horsepower generator.

That guys channel is full of gems. His lockwiring stuff is interesting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nerobro posted:

There's nothing small about a 10,000 horsepower generator.

That guys channel is full of gems. His lockwiring stuff is interesting.

Big power plants output hundreds of megawatts, so probably on the order of 200,000 horsepower. When I say small I don't mean household, more like... one industrial complex or whatever, as opposed to a region.

E: Big gas turbines look like this:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 22, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Those are so hard to find information on. LIke... names to research are hard to find.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's not at all what I expected it to look like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Boy do I not understand the point of this (give Boeing money?). We talk about the idea of air launch in the spaceflight thread constantly, and all it does is add complexity to a job that could be accomplished by adding more rocket. Since they'd be cannibalizing an existing ICBM to do this... idgi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If they needed to do this they'd just retrofit a Minuteman III or any of the other launch vehicles we have

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

That's not at all what I expected it to look like.

You can't launch with a person in the cockpit? :laugh:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

PittTheElder posted:

Boy do I not understand the point of this (give Boeing money?). We talk about the idea of air launch in the spaceflight thread constantly, and all it does is add complexity to a job that could be accomplished by adding more rocket. Since they'd be cannibalizing an existing ICBM to do this... idgi

idea is to be able to get micro/nano-satellites into any orbit rapidly without being constrained by pesky orbital dynamics/timing/etc...as well as to be able to get inter-continental warheads into any trajectory rapidly without being held to those same constraints

of course there are still probably easier ways to accomplish this without strapping a rocket to the top of a loving F-15 but they at least had a CONOPS in mind when they cooked the scheme up

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"During the takeoff I noticed a orange glow behind the aircraft, but thought nothing of it. The navigator however reported fire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZu_ONVE90Y

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

"During the takeoff I noticed a orange glow behind the aircraft, but thought nothing of it. The navigator however reported fire."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZu_ONVE90Y

drat, that wasn't what I was expecting, I think after my plane had been on fire I'd want to get out fairly quickly! Did they go wrong by contacting the tower for "instructions" rather than "clearance for an emergency landing"? :v:

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ

Nerobro posted:

Those are so hard to find information on. LIke... names to research are hard to find.

Even as someone in the industry I can have trouble finding out information sometimes. Wikipedia doesn't even have a list of GE's heavy frame turbines. All the aero and aero-derivative engines have pages, but the 9HA.02 is only mentioned in the article on gas turbines because it was recently certified as the world's most efficient (62.22%!). Siemens appears to be no better. This page is light on technical details but at least has a list of our current products. I also found the similar page for Siemens.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did they go wrong by contacting the tower for "instructions" rather than "clearance for an emergency landing"? :v:

This was the 60s, it was a different time.

I mean, flying overnight just so the light was better using 333,000 gallons of jet fuel because of the leak is hardcore enough.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nobdy posted:

Even as someone in the industry I can have trouble finding out information sometimes. Wikipedia doesn't even have a list of GE's heavy frame turbines. All the aero and aero-derivative engines have pages, but the 9HA.02 is only mentioned in the article on gas turbines because it was recently certified as the world's most efficient (62.22%!). Siemens appears to be no better. This page is light on technical details but at least has a list of our current products. I also found the similar page for Siemens.

It's entirely possible that there might not be any details until you've started talking to a sales engineer about what you need, and they've started going through the motions of figuring out if it can even be built. That, plus they might not think they'll lose sales by not making a website for these one-off products.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's entirely possible that there might not be any details until you've started talking to a sales engineer about what you need, and they've started going through the motions of figuring out if it can even be built. That, plus they might not think they'll lose sales by not making a website for these one-off products.

This is probably the situation. This is the sort of product that .. if you read the brochure... has something like a 10 month delivery and installation time. Products like that are bought after months, or even years of negotiation.

.... I work in an industry where the core equipment can be the same sort of thing.

This may just be the mark of the "more than a million dollars" market. Delivery times go up, prices stop being fixed, and corporate sites for the products start being pretty and more or less content free.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, I know a similar industry - when there's basically one or two suppliers to buy from, it's expensive enough to have incredibly low production volume, and all the equipment is so specialized as to be unique-build per unit, well, what's the point of even pretending there's a standard model to sell? :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I deal with engineered products literally all the time and in my industry there is typically a standard "design" (albeit might have several "sizes" of each design) which will be the basis of the unit which will then be modified/customized, sometimes incredibly so, for each application. It's not really cost effective to reinvent the wheel for each item.

A lot of time data is not published because they don't want to give competitors any information at all or, more commonly, be pigeonholed into something when they shouldn't be so it's just best to talk to sales/engineering to see what they can do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Industrial combustion turbines are also a LOT less sexy then aeronautical jet turbines...

:v:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That reminds me of something I wondered years ago, how different are industrial units from aero-propulsors? As in could an industrial producer create a competitive jet engine (if they made a serious effort) (and were as stingy with money as the US Senate is to LockMart)?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's extremely expensive/laborious to redesign for weight and packaging, so I don't really see the point. Going the other way is kinda cool because you end up with easily transportable units.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's a good question. They probably don't have any facilities for driving accessories. And then the industrial producer would need to sort out aviation quality accessories. Though.. GE is already an aero engine producer. And it appears that Siemens sells some engines that had aero lineage.

I can't imagine the engineering that would be needed to get the weight out of the industrial units. Those things seem to have "beds" versus casings. And from what I can see, their combustor and injector setups aren't exactly slim either, so the deck is quite stacked against that sort of conversion.

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ
Pretty sure Siemens recently purchased the aero-derivative unit from Rolls-Royce. They didn't offer those sorts of solutions until pretty recently.

I believe most of the customization with large frame turbines comes in with the plant design. I'm just a turbine guy so I don't really know much about specing out plants and

MrYenko posted:

Industrial combustion turbines are also a LOT less sexy then aeronautical jet turbines...

:v:

this is mostly true. Aviation pays my bills so I know way more about their stuff. However, I've been working a little bit more with Power recently and have gained more appreciation for these giant machines. Something that has the footprint of a few (like... 20?) shipping containers can produce almost 430 MW of power. That's really pretty impressive. But there's not a huge plume of fire and noise coming out the end, so maybe it's only interesting to dorks like me.

Power and Aviation engines have some pretty different design requirements. For example, historically power generation cared a lot more about emissions than jet engines. They also try to run for months or years without shutting down, where even a long-haul Aircraft engine gets turned on and off a lot. But as you've both pointed out, weight and packaging are probably the biggest differences. Power engines do still worry about packaging inasmuch as they have to actually be able to deliver these things somehow, but that's not the same as trying to make the engine fit inside a 737 sized engine nacelle without pulling the wings off. And weight only really matters in the rotating components, and as a materials cost. Nickel is expensive. Anyway, this is why those are separated into two separate businesses within the larger GE umbrella.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d imagine that the two industries poach each others’ engineers, but aren’t insane enough to consider throwing their hat into the other ring.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently when you fly to an airport and then wander around a bit you hear things like 'hey want to come take a look?' instead of 'you're not supposed to be here I'm calling security' like when you drive there.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 23, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Did you bump your head on anything? Perhaps the bottom of that plane?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dear loving christ, that entire thing (interior and exterior) is like stereotypicallycleancanada.jpg. I've seen dirtier Japanese planes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's a far more modern avionics suite than what I had imagined.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So what's in the storage bins in the 3rd picture, firefighting gear of some type? Beer? Maple syrup and ham slices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It still had new plane smell. Also, this is my second time in a big amphib (first was a PBY Catalina) and flying boats really are flying boats and not floating airplanes.

No idea what's in the bins but that white box is some oil system monitoring thing that even has remote magnetic pickups/sensors to detect metal shavings in the oil. They apparently had issues with metal in the oil at first because the can opener they were using to open the cans made a mess of things.