Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

invite sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Who wants to do a fantasy BBL?

Also I'm going to run Grade Cricket Mafia at some stage.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hello mafia thread.

out of the despair that comes from living in a world where I have run out of gravity falls, I have started watching scooby doo: mystery incorporated

it's p. good

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

How do you even fantasy football? Do you have to watch it?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

dongsbot 9000 posted:

in other news THE LOVE OF MY LIFE spilled coffee on my keyboard so its dead and i have to wait DAYS for a new unicomp ultra classic b/c i cant live w/o a buckling spring keyboard

I invested in a nice mechanical keyboard a couple years back, and my apartment is a bit of a disaster but that drat keyboard lives on hallowed ground and is never to be hosed with.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Li Dawny posted:

you pick players for your team, and then get points based on their performance. Ideally you should have some knowledge of the players, but I have seen people autopick and end up winning so :technically no

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Li Dawny posted:

There's a few ways of doing it, this is probably the most fun way overall though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Bowl

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I just feel like this could be fun, as long as I don't have to actually watch the games. It's like long term gambling, each week you get a little bit of a result and a small high.

I don't really gamble, but I like picking things and being right/wrong depending on pure luck.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Li Dawny posted:

I just feel like this could be fun, as long as I don't have to actually watch the games. It's like long term gambling, each week you get a little bit of a result and a small high.

I don't really gamble, but I like picking things and being right/wrong depending on pure luck.

You don't have to watch games, but you would probably want to follow some news to make sure your team makes sense every week.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

CCKeane posted:

You don't have to watch games, but you would probably want to follow some news to make sure your team makes sense every week.

I'll call my dad, it'll be a good excuse to talk to him more and he'd probably get a kick out of it. Oh, and my podcast has a sports section with a fantasy football update. I'll think on it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Click that to play a game.

Play this nerds I only need 5 more.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Fantasy football chat reminds me:

So I might be doing a fantasy football league with some of my softball buddies. If I do, what is the best way to troll the league?

I was going to try to get every single kicker on my team but I don't know if there are better/worse options.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CCKeane posted:

Fantasy football chat reminds me:

So I might be doing a fantasy football league with some of my softball buddies. If I do, what is the best way to troll the league?

I was going to try to get every single kicker on my team but I don't know if there are better/worse options.

Just be Taco from "The League"

Who incidentally did just that, essentially.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

Just be Taco from "The League"

Who incidentally did just that, essentially.

Jon Lajoie as Taco MacArthur: Kevin's younger brother, a perpetually stoned, unemployed musician. He doesn't care or know much about football, evident by his attempts to draft Canadian football players and his tendency to draft placekickers. He has won the league championship at least once in 2006, evident by his handwritten name on the trophy. He hooks up with women easily, and lives via handouts from his brother Kevin and "Eskimo family tree" (people who have slept with women he has slept with), making his own food (thousand-year-old eggs) and making his own personal hygiene products, such as deodorant. He also makes ringtones (Horse Orgasm or, "Horsegasm"). For one episode, Taco takes martial arts, specializing in use of a naginata (a long pole with a blade at the end) and studies of naginatajutsu. He means well but his acts of kindness usually have disastrous results. He is perhaps the most emotional member of the league, prone to crying when his feelings are hurt. In the unrated version of season 1, Ruxin claimed that the reason Taco is such a "frittata" is because they made him smoke marijuana when he was 8. Between seasons 2 and 3, Taco travels around the world and becomes a soap opera star in Algeria where he plays a stupid American. Taco enjoys keeping bongs (which he calls "guest bongs") in all of his friends' houses for him to use. In season 4, it is revealed that he owns the domain name dallascowboys.com, which Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones buys for $250,000. In Season 5 he turns his dead uncle's van into multiple unsuccessful small businesses. It is also revealed that when he is not high he is actually very intelligent, probably the most intelligent member of the League. In season 6, his Eskimo-Brother DataBase ends up making him a lot of money and he starts other business ventures after Mark Cuban buys it from him for 1.1 million dollars.

Yes I identify with this individual.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow, i didn't realize you were teh younger brother of a 9/11 survivor

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

CCKeane posted:

Yes I identify with this individual.

If you haven't seen any of the show you should give it a watch. It's on Netflix, it's very good and it was my inspiration for finally joining a fantasy football league this year.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Moatillata posted:

If you haven't seen any of the show you should give it a watch. It's on Netflix, it's very good and it was my inspiration for finally joining a fantasy football league this year.

I will give it a watch as research on how to most effectively troll the league, as I am a scoundrel and a blackguard.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

CCKeane posted:

I will give it a watch as research on how to most effectively troll the league, as I am a scoundrel and a blackguard.

You will def find the best methods in that show

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

PBS Newshour posted:

wow, i didn't realize you were teh younger brother of a 9/11 survivor

lol I had forgotten about this

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Moatillata posted:

You will def find the best methods in that show

I know my friends get upset with me for my fantasy baseball trolling method, which is to autodraft and then never sign in and still, somehow, manage to beat my friend Pat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

I know my friends get upset with me for my fantasy baseball trolling method, which is to autodraft and then never sign in and still, somehow, manage to beat my friend Pat.

Prince Fielder retired :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I know nothing about football, fantasy or otherwise, and I will attest to The League being a very good show. It would probably be even funnier if I had any sportsball knowledge at all

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Prince Fielder retired :(

I know, it sucks. He was one of my favorites and while I make fun of him, I did have a great deal of respect for both his athleticism and his fearlessness about being open about his body in media. He's a cool dude and it's a loss for baseball that he is forced to retire.

Now my favorite fat ballplayer is Bartolo, and my favorite MASH DEM TATERS hitter is Giancarlo Stanton. BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME, drat IT.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CCKeane posted:

I know, it sucks. He was one of my favorites and while I make fun of him, I did have a great deal of respect for both his athleticism and his fearlessness about being open about his body in media. He's a cool dude and it's a loss for baseball that he is forced to retire.

Now my favorite fat ballplayer is Bartolo, and my favorite MASH DEM TATERS hitter is Giancarlo Stanton. BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME, drat IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7FGQls0KM

Makes me laugh every time.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

When I clicked I thought "This better be the nachos" and I was right.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
*rings a bell* bring out your horoscopes, bring our your horoscopes

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/your-horoscope-for-the-week-of-august-22.html

Introduction posted:

There is motion in the sky and motion on the ground this week as the sun enters Virgo. The summer is not yet over, but the earth is moving us toward fall. How will you move with it? What will you carry with you, and what will you leave behind?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My horoscope is always the same: "You were not from this plane, leave now! YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE I CAST YOU OUT" it's very annoying.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

quote:

Virgo: There are different ways to become free, and here is one: Imagine how it would feel to live your life without so many watchful eyes on you. Imagine what you could do, left in the care of your own wild self. What words would you speak? What sounds would you make? How would you move through the forests, through the streets? It isn’t easy to live this way, but it’s worth trying this week. This is the work of coming into your powers.

This is probably the worst possible advice I could get.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Actually feeling a little mad about how terrible that advice is.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
haha well they can't all be winners.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

haha well they can't all be winners.

My mom is really big in astrology and every time (I mean like literally every time) I've been in a relationship she asks me what their sign is and goes "oooooo that's a good match, I think this is it!"

Being able to prove astrology wrong makes every break up that much easier, so I thank her for that.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

My mom is really big in astrology and every time (I mean like literally every time) I've been in a relationship she asks me what their sign is and goes "oooooo that's a good match, I think this is it!"

Being able to prove astrology wrong makes every break up that much easier, so I thank her for that.

yeah everyone knows that chinese years is the proper matchmaking science

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

Alas, I was born before years were recorded, so I have no sign there.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

quote:

Gemini: Even the rivers can change their courses, and even the forests can burn and grow again. Skies and walls and loves can shift, even when you thought they’d stand firm forever, and this is nothing to cry over, nothing to fear. Sorrow and loss are real, but so is the bright newness that springs up soft and green from the earth. This week you’re a lookout, you’re a lighthouse, so keep your watch: Every change could be the one you’ve been searching for.

What does this even mean?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

JakeP posted:

Year of the horse for the win

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Li Dawny posted:

It means if a ship radios you asking you to change course, you get to be REALLY SMUG.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Li Dawny posted:

I'm interpreting it as "things that seem firm and solid can change, and that's okay - it might even be what you're looking for."

Usually for me my horoscope doesn't start to feel relevant until Wednesday, where it becomes, at least partially, pretty neat and helpful.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

EccoRaven posted:

I'm interpreting it as "things that seem firm and solid can change, and that's okay - it might even be what you're looking for."

Usually for me my horoscope doesn't start to feel relevant until Wednesday, where it becomes, at least partially, pretty neat and helpful.

This is like that guy in that movie who was kinda into the # 23 in the beginning of the movie, then in the middle he was super into the # 23 and he starts seeing it everywhere. Then at the end of the movie he finds out that the # 23 killed his wife

If I were you I'd be very careful with horoscopes around bob

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MG3 posted:

This is like that guy in that movie who was kinda into the # 23 in the beginning of the movie, then in the middle he was super into the # 23 and he starts seeing it everywhere. Then at the end of the movie he finds out that the # 23 killed his wife

If I were you I'd be very careful with horoscopes around bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4EAkcZk410

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Haha, this is a really cute little anecdote, thank you.