Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're going to go that far then just keep moving and run the turret over. They're not durable, being rammed with a deathmobile will take them out zero problem.

Also if you put curtains on your front windshield and close them (and add security cameras, or just YOLO it blind), the turret won't shoot at you as you approach.

E: This info is from about a month ago, I assume it's still the same, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Whoa, I had holed up for a couple of days in my motel to recover from a run, cooked up shitloads of food, and take some time to read. Went outside to patrol the area and found that there is a MASSIVE fungal bed growing around the motel. I managed to kill the like 20 fungaloids and couple of fungal zombies without trouble, but now I have no idea how the hell to deal with the bed itself. I've not been able to smash it, it seems I can dig/till the ground but there's so much it would take days or weeks, and my pipe bomb didn't seem to do anything to the actual terrain even as it wrecked the guys on it.

So I guess I burn everything down? Gonna have to wait for it to stop raining for that. Might just be time to up sticks, much as I hate the idea of abandoning this place. e; hahahaha yeah okay that works :allears: Lost the lobby building but purged a huge amount of fungus in no time.

e2; V :smith: Guess I'll have to use this breathing room to rig up some kind of deathmobile.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 17, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Whoa, I had holed up for a couple of days in my motel to recover from a run, cooked up shitloads of food, and take some time to read. Went outside to patrol the area and found that there is a MASSIVE fungal bed growing around the motel. I managed to kill the like 20 fungaloids and couple of fungal zombies without trouble, but now I have no idea how the hell to deal with the bed itself. I've not been able to smash it, it seems I can dig/till the ground but there's so much it would take days or weeks, and my pipe bomb didn't seem to do anything to the actual terrain even as it wrecked the guys on it.

So I guess I burn everything down? Gonna have to wait for it to stop raining for that. Might just be time to up sticks, much as I hate the idea of abandoning this place.

If remember right due to the way fungal beds work you can't really get rid of them completely. The spores will put down roots and just grow another one. The best you can do is burn it back and buy some breathing room, so it might be time to hit the road.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you can get it started, they can burn pretty fierce.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Antifungal stuff should be made to poison off fungal beds to the point they recede from the reality bubble around the point of placement, imo.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Fungus towers is one of those things that you just, yeah, make your base far, far away from. Similarly while triffids are free food and thread you don't want queens anywhere near a place you are trying to keep inhabitable.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

Antifungal stuff should be made to poison off fungal beds to the point they recede from the reality bubble around the point of placement, imo.

This was in the project roadmap at one point, but who knows if that even still exists or whether anybody is bothering to work off of it. (It would have been possible to make it rather simply from triffid bits or in a far more complex way using more common materials)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Antifungal can be made using the methods you describe, but it's for internal use.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Where is the roadmap?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IDK but I'm pretty sure it's something like:
Realism that isn't tedious
Realism that is tedious
Zombie grenadier hulk that is also a shocker
Quality of life improvements

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

Where is the roadmap?

I don't know anymore, hahah.There was an doc and it got posted tot he forums occasionally I think?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The clothes cleaning mechanic is annoying - Soap is not that common but its doable; having to find a large water source (rivers so far, haven't tested with other sources like pools or swamps) as opposed to using a gallon jug full of water or even a jerry can full of of it is an annoying distraction.

Gun magazines are odd, I'm not sure I like them. I do like that it rewards some preparation before fighting and having ammo pouches and holsters seems a lot more well-developed than it was before, but they are also a bit more of a hassle to reload and add even more keystrokes and micro-management.

Also, does anyone have advice for pistols? Best models/calibers? At this point, I basically use them the same way as I use a shotgun but that's the only way I can guarantee most of my clip doesn't bounce harmlessly off or ricochet off a wall 180 degrees from my target :argh: Otherwise, I just don't bother and keep a shotgun around for everything I can't Silat to death.

E: on holsters and the like, I'd like it if there were a key shortcut that I could use to rapidly switch between weapons in a holster and a melee weapon - a sheathed knife and a holstered/strapped gun

Also, I've never really paid attention to it before, but the mechanic of smashing corpses to prevent reviving is a cool touch and a good alternative to butchering when you're in a tight spot.

Finally, I still think it would be cool but probably not easy to implement a per-container inventory in bags, so that its much easier for me to just dump a bag full of gear to lighten my load for a melee scrap.

I'm impressed with how far the game seems to have come over the years and for some of the quality of life improvements they've made like (e)xamining closed crates to auto-pry them if I have a crowbar and the ability to eat, read or otherwise interact with stuff that previously I'd have had to pick up before I could use it (seriously, being able to drink water directly from my funnel jars and not having to pick them up every time is a blessing).

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

PiCroft posted:

Finally, I still think it would be cool but probably not easy to implement a per-container inventory in bags, so that its much easier for me to just dump a bag full of gear to lighten my load for a melee scrap.

That, or give players the ability to toggle an "important gear" flag on items, giving them a special icon and/or text colour in the inventory UI and causing them to be ignored (if possible) when deciding what tumbles to the ground upon container removal. It'd make parsing large inventories and picking out frequently-used tools (like sewing kits and soldering irons) a lot more convenient as well.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Well gently caress, just discovered a new awful mechanic; "lifting" in order to take vehicles apart or move bits around. Now I need a crane to disassemble a car.

Thanks C:DDA devs! :thumbsup:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PiCroft posted:

Well gently caress, just discovered a new awful mechanic; "lifting" in order to take vehicles apart or move bits around. Now I need a crane to disassemble a car.

Thanks C:DDA devs! :thumbsup:

Or you know you can just find a jack thats pretty much found in like every third car or pretty much always in a garage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Or you know you can just find a jack thats pretty much found in like every third car or pretty much always in a garage.

if your car is too heavy you actually need a boom crane.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Scissor and bottle jacks only work on very light vehicles. Anything humvee or heavier needs some variety of crane.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

No you can't? Removing car horns and windscreens (and pretty much everything else) on a car all require a tool of "lifting 1" which jacks don't provide. I had to add a [LIFT, 50] tag to the jack tools to remove this dumb mechanic.

Apparently this applies to heavier vehicles, but in this case the vehicle in question is just a regular car.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There should be a hydraulic jack item type lying around. I will note that i am not on the latest experimental but I have been using it to dismantle tanks and such.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm wrong about the carhorn etc - it can also be met with 'strength 1' which I guess any character can meet. Maybe the strength requirement shoots up to something much higher for the larger vehicles?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I'm wrong about the carhorn etc - it can also be met with 'strength 1' which I guess any character can meet. Maybe the strength requirement shoots up to something much higher for the larger vehicles?

From what i recall strength can be substituted for a jack so if you are strong enough if you can lift up a car and remove poo poo with your hands and the necessary tool.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

From what i recall strength can be substituted for a jack so if you are strong enough if you can lift up a car and remove poo poo with your hands and the necessary tool.

I see. I missed the 'strength 1' requirement when looking at it the first time; that's not so bad.

Still, I'm annoyed that I now apparently need a crane to pull apart larger vehicles.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I see. I missed the 'strength 1' requirement when looking at it the first time; that's not so bad.

Still, I'm annoyed that I now apparently need a crane to pull apart larger vehicles.

I just tested it and apparently i was totally wrong about how effective jacks are. Still i was able to pull apart everything from a military humvee except for the wheels so besides that you should be fine?

Edit: If you pull everything but the wheels off it should be light enough to use a jack and pull them off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The flipside to this is that swapping/upgrading wheels on your own beefy armoured survivormobile is a complete loving nightmare because you need to either set up some goofy specialized vehicular crane system or just strip 90% of your vehicle off the frame so it's light enough to lift using whatever jack you've found or made.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
On the upside now we have the terribly unimmersive idea of replacing wheels on a giant vehicle using only a small jack with the wonderfully immersive idea of using a giant crane mounted on a shopping cart to do that same task. Thanks, devs!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

But you see verisimilitude and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

- The Cataclysm:DDA dev log.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

That, or give players the ability to toggle an "important gear" flag on items, giving them a special icon and/or text colour in the inventory UI and causing them to be ignored (if possible) when deciding what tumbles to the ground upon container removal. It'd make parsing large inventories and picking out frequently-used tools (like sewing kits and soldering irons) a lot more convenient as well.

This would also be great for quickly deciding what is loot and what is your actual gear, before you get a cart.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Also, being able to keep track of the contents of your stash, whether in a vehicle or building. The ability to go "yeah, I actually don't have one of these" when looting would be nice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm having a problem with my molotovs. They keep going out? Wielded and in my inventory. [A]ctivate lights them, then the immediately go out. It's not raining either.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Over a month ago I started having that issue to the point that I was having to literally light them 30-40 times before they'd stay lit for longer than that same turn.

And then throwing it immediately put it out.

I just honestly don't bother at this point.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Over a month ago I started having that issue to the point that I was having to literally light them 30-40 times before they'd stay lit for longer than that same turn.

And then throwing it immediately put it out.

I just honestly don't bother at this point.

That's a pitty. How else am I gonna clear out this mega mart?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a pitty. How else am I gonna clear out this mega mart?

That's easy: homemade nail bombs!

(not really unless you want to resemble Pinhead from Hellraiser)

I think they've seriously bumped the spawn rate of cellars in houses now as it seems almost every house I find has a cellar. Also, the number of cellars I've found that have turned out to be weapons caches is unreal. I collected a sizeable arsenal without touching a gun store and by that time, the selection of guns and ammo within seemed almost disappointing.

Not that I'm complaining, time to bring some law to this land :commissar:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

All I ever find are cellars full of weed or booze.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm just spitballing here, but I've decided to take a look at the source code again to fiddle around. The last thing I contributed was years ago, adding fuel siphoning and adding plastic and kevlar repairs so I'm totally rusty with the codebase.

Is there anything anyone would suggest as a little project? I'm not guaranteeing anything but I see how gargantuan the codebase is and how terrible it is coded and I'm left with blank canvas syndrome. I was thinking of giving that per-container inventory thing a try but :effort:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

NPCs :unsmigghh:

Or uh maybe just make an Unrealism mod to reverse some of the stupid 'realism' changes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Being able to use water from a container to wash clothes would be really nice. Like, say, water on a bath tub tile. I don't mind the Filthy mechanic much other than that.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I'm just spitballing here, but I've decided to take a look at the source code again to fiddle around. The last thing I contributed was years ago, adding fuel siphoning and adding plastic and kevlar repairs so I'm totally rusty with the codebase.

Is there anything anyone would suggest as a little project? I'm not guaranteeing anything but I see how gargantuan the codebase is and how terrible it is coded and I'm left with blank canvas syndrome. I was thinking of giving that per-container inventory thing a try but :effort:

I wouldn't bother with doing anything to the inventory as Granade won't allow anything but a complete and total revamp in.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

chiefnewo posted:

I wouldn't bother with doing anything to the inventory as Granade won't allow anything but a complete and total revamp in.

I can see why. It's appalling. I genuinely have had all will to even touch that system drained out of me just from looking at it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So the LP got me to pick this up again. I grabbed the latest experimental and failed a bunch of times re-learning all the controls and thanks to the shopping cart I've finally managed to survive past 2 says and not starve to death.

The latest build is way different from when I last played though. Can someone recommend me a good world generation setup? My current game I have the defaults with static and dynamic NPCs. Should I increase town size and which of the mods are decent? I turned on arcana, survivalist tools and a few others but they all seem very poorly documented so I'm not sure what I get with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

So the LP got me to pick this up again. I grabbed the latest experimental and failed a bunch of times re-learning all the controls and thanks to the shopping cart I've finally managed to survive past 2 says and not starve to death.

The latest build is way different from when I last played though. Can someone recommend me a good world generation setup? My current game I have the defaults with static and dynamic NPCs. Should I increase town size and which of the mods are decent? I turned on arcana, survivalist tools and a few others but they all seem very poorly documented so I'm not sure what I get with them.

Survivalist tools adds a few new craftable tools like mess kits, which are useful if you plan on being a mountain man type character and also if you can't find useful stuff like hotplates. I use Icecoon's Weapon Pack and the Vehicles Craftables packs because I always like more dakka and more stuff to put on vehicles but I couldn't tell you everything they add as I always use them.

I usually bump the item spawn density up to 1.5, bump the city size up a tiny bit (4->5 or 6) and other than that, I'm golden.