Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda sorta makes Oberstein a different character too, really.

That is a very good point and part of the reason I think the anime's characterization is better: anime Oberstein explicitly...intentionally misinterpreted (most charitable way I can phrase it) a direct order because he thought he knew what was best for Reinhard better than Reinhard himself did.

ANOTHER BOOK SPOILER COMPARISON TO END OF SEASON 1, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN EP 26 DON'T HIGHLIGHTBook Oberstein isn't written as diving in front of Reinhard when Ansbach makes his assassination attempt the way anime Oberstein does. That was a brilliant touch on the part of the series right at the moment "Oberstein = Bad" is the obvious read of the character in order to muddy the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Some realtalk here: An editor asks Yang Wen-Li if he can have a Yang memoir ghostwritten with an estimated print run of 5 million. Yang reflects that if he'd become a historian and wrote a book it wouldn't sell 1/1000th as many copies.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So here's a question: how would things have changed in the rest of the series if Kircheis were still alive?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Sandman posted:

So here's a question: how would things have changed in the rest of the series if Kircheis were still alive?

Reinhard's crazy hardon for directly leading the fleet mano-a-mano at Vermillion might've been tempered. Kircheis would be desperately trying to tell Reinhard to let him take the lead and, barring that, would be trying to use his whole branch of the fleet as human shields for Reinhard, which would've complicated Yang's decapitation strategy which very nearly succeeded.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Patter Song posted:

Reinhard's crazy hardon for directly leading the fleet mano-a-mano at Vermillion might've been tempered. Kircheis would be desperately trying to tell Reinhard to let him take the lead and, barring that, would be trying to use his whole branch of the fleet as human shields for Reinhard, which would've complicated Yang's decapitation strategy which very nearly succeeded.

On the flipside, would Yang have tried that in the first place knowing that Kircheis was there to get in the way? If taking out Reinhard isn't a realistic possibility, it might be worth considering whether to evacuate the government from Heinessen (which would have been a good idea anyway, given how things turn out) and relocate it somewhere more defensible. Or, if that isn't an option, seek terms while the FPA might still be able to bargain for something better than abject surrender.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Kircheis lives, Reinhardt probably doesn't go conquest happy trying to fill the empty void in his heart without his best friend so a lot of the series probably doesn't happen.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If Kircheis had lived, the story would have been a lot shorter. It would have been a happy ending for pretty much everyone except the Terraists and Trunicht. The Empire would have overthrown the corrupt alliance gov't and then installed Kircheis as the governor, who would have facilitated the changes that Julian ended up working out with Reinhard on his own and probably even used the power of sparkly, not at all homoerotic, friendship to talk Yang into being involved somehow. The series would end with slice of life episodes of both casts going drinking together, and the ending credits would have a voiceover from the historian/narrator guy about how this was all possible because of alcohol, humanity's oldest and most constant friend. The easter egg after the credits is that a much older Yang is the historian/narrator.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If Kircheis had lived, the story would have been a lot shorter. It would have been a happy ending for pretty much everyone except the Terraists and Trunicht. The Empire would have overthrown the corrupt alliance gov't and then installed Kircheis as the governor, who would have facilitated the changes that Julian ended up working out with Reinhard on his own and probably even used the power of sparkly, not at all homoerotic, friendship to talk Yang into being involved somehow. The series would end with slice of life episodes of both casts going drinking together, and the ending credits would have a voiceover from the historian/narrator guy about how this was all possible because of alcohol, humanity's oldest and most constant friend. The easter egg after the credits is that a much older Yang is the historian/narrator.

And that's when Shinji wakes up

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alternate answer: Reinhard said to Yang that if Siegfried Kircheis were alive, Yang would've been killed at Vermillion. Maybe that turns out to be accurate in this other world.

I pretty much refuse to think past the end of Season 2 with this question. I think the first half of Season 2 proceeds pretty much as planned: Kircheis might think that the whole "warp our Death Star in to take potshots at their Death Star" thing was idiotic, but I don't see Reinhard scrapping that plan, so I think that whole arc, culminating with the humiliating Imperial defeat, proceeds normally.

If Kircheis does succeed in vetoing taking on Iserlohn and presses Reinhard into doing what Reinhard was already half-inclined to do anyway, things might get a lot more interesting, with Geiersburg (the book calls it Gaiesburg) appearing over Phezzan and forcing Rubinsky to surrender, followed by Gaiesburg being the vanguard of the Imperial invasion of the Alliance, while immoble Iserlohn sits forlornly ignored as the other, mobile giant laser space fortress happily travels to Heinessen.

I think Kircheis' ideal solution would be something bloodless and elegant like forcing Heinessen to surrender without a fight due to a massive fuckoff Death Star appearing in orbit. It would still not be to Reinhard's taste, though. Too bloodless.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kircheis / Annerose, what would happen there?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baloogan posted:

Kircheis / Annerose, what would happen there?

Intrigue. It wouldn't be proper for them to have a relationship once Reinhard is Kaiser, that would be tantamount to naming Kircheis heir to the throne. So either they would have a doomed secret love or Oberstein/someone would manipulate Reinhard into believing they did so as to get Kircheis whacked.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kircheis would make a great kaiser, but wouldn't the next kaiser be reinhard's kids?

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
:cripes: I know I know I need to watch it

but it's so slow
and there's so much of it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
pulls ur heartplug

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Kircheis would make a great kaiser, but wouldn't the next kaiser be reinhard's kids?

Yeah, but if he doesn't have any heir of his body then it creates a dangerous situation to marry one of his generals to his direct relations. It basically says that if he dies without issue Kircheis will be running the show, and that if he does have kids Kircheis will get bumped out of line for emperor of mankind by a baby. It's basically inviting Kircheis, or anyone who thinks they'd be better off under Kircheis than Reinhard, to kill him before he can reproduce. Of course Kircheis has no ambition whatsoever and would gladly be Reinhard's interim heir and play second fiddle to Reinhard's eventual children, but would any kid Kircheis had with Annerose feel the same way? Hell, you could interpret the ending of the actual show to be pointing towards a scenario like the collapse of Alexander's empire, where the death of the monarch with his heir an infant led to the fragmentation of his territory as some generals decided to prop up the boy's regime and some struck out for themselves. How much worse would it be if there were actual rival claimants?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HeartPlug posted:

:cripes: I know I know I need to watch it

but it's so slow
and there's so much of it

Its not slow at all. Theres a lot of it but each episode is fairly impactful, and not just a chunk of an idea like so many shounen multi-parters.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If the Empire stays as it is, with the possession of the throne being the primary lever of power, then the situation is going to devolve into tragedy and bloodshed, no matter what. Reinhardt and Julian talk a big game at the end of the series about implementing a constitution, but Reinhardt (and all the other Empire chucklefucks) are too god drat proud to ever concede an inch of power from the throne.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

If the Empire stays as it is, with the possession of the throne being the primary lever of power, then the situation is going to devolve into tragedy and bloodshed, no matter what. Reinhardt and Julian talk a big game at the end of the series about implementing a constitution, but Reinhardt (and all the other Empire chucklefucks) are too god drat proud to ever concede an inch of power from the throne.

Kircheis isn't too proud :(

kircheisss......

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Its not slow at all. Theres a lot of it but each episode is fairly impactful, and not just a chunk of an idea like so many shounen multi-parters.

The very beginning can seem a bit daunting, as you're being introduced to 2 dozen characters but before learning why you should care about them. I'll give a slight mid-season 1 spoiler to HeartPlug to see if they're willing to stick with the show: By the middle of the first season you'll be watching each side try to put down a civil war AT THE SAME TIME :kingsley: . If you're any kind of political history buff that should be incentive enough to tough out the occasionally dry setup episodes.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you

DamnGlitch posted:

Takes No Damage posted:

The very beginning can seem a bit daunting, as you're being introduced to 2 dozen characters but before learning why you should care about them. I'll give a slight mid-season 1 spoiler to HeartPlug to see if they're willing to stick with the show: By the middle of the first season you'll be watching each side try to put down a civil war AT THE SAME TIME :kingsley: . If you're any kind of political history buff that should be incentive enough to tough out the occasionally dry setup episodes.

I'm a bit more pumped now thanks. I know it's the King of Anime; the fault lies in my own soul, not in LoGH

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

END OF SERIES SPOILER: The show is intentionally referencing Alexander the Great's death at the young age of 32 and the massive civil war that happened when his generals all turned on each other after his death. Reinhard several times echoed Alexander's famous idea of giving the succession "to the strongest," and explicitly pointed out that his kid might not be the strongest eventually. The Empire is "lucky" that Hildegard and Mittermeyer are the only ones of any real station remaining standing at the end of the series: the short term solution of a regency with Hildegard taking domestic affairs and Mittermeyer taking command of the military could stand in the immediate future.

I suspect Julian's pet democratization idea would be allowed to the extent of creating a toy Parliament/Reichstag with mostly ceremonial/advisory functions that gets slapped down any time it thinks of overstepping into actually taking power away from the monarchy...and I think it'd be about as ineffectual as the real German Empire's Reichstag, which ended up basically ceding 100% of its authority to the military after the start of WWI because it had no authority over the military or the budget to begin with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
show was good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pomp posted:

show was good

:yeah:

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
Haikasoru has announced that they've picked up the next 3 novels in the LOGH series. 4 in June 2017, 5 in the fall, and 6 in 2018. After that it depends on sales.

Relevant tweet: http://twitter.com/Haikasoru/status/782665211354370048

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do most people just watch this on youtube? I started it a couple years ago and watched a few episodes. I can't remember why I stopped. The link to the torrent in the OP worked but it's not seeding in my client.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Do most people just watch this on youtube? I started it a couple years ago and watched a few episodes. I can't remember why I stopped. The link to the torrent in the OP worked but it's not seeding in my client.

I uploaded the whole thing to Daily Motion last year! :eng101:

http://www.dailymotion.com/galactichero

(Laserdisc version, if you give a gently caress about that)

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's on both baka BT and Nyaa, in addition to a number of streaming places.

If the torrents aren't working for you (they are probably out of date links), take a look for yourself. If you can't find it you are not trying very hard at all. Youtube is gonna be easiest if you don't wanna pull down all the episodes.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SeanGaffney posted:

Haikasoru has announced that they've picked up the next 3 novels in the LOGH series. 4 in June 2017, 5 in the fall, and 6 in 2018. After that it depends on sales.

Relevant tweet: http://twitter.com/Haikasoru/status/782665211354370048

Hell yes! That should take them most of the way through the series (there are 10 books overall).

I am looking forward to writing all my impressions of volume 3 when it comes out soon.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I finally am giving this a serious go and LOVE it. Its filling the hole left by Battlestar Galactica and... Band of Brothers?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately LOGH will bore a new hole in your soul that can't adequately be filled by anything else.

I've rewatched it like 3 times, I wish I could have that first view experience again :smith:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Patter Song posted:

I am looking forward to writing all my impressions of volume 3 when it comes out soon.
Every single attempt at a fan translation has bogged down in Book 2 so this should be good. Dusty!

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Go RV! posted:

(Laserdisc version, if you give a gently caress about that)

I am sorry if this has been asked, but what is the difference?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DVD version has a bunch of redrawn material which is generally uglier. It's less detailed, digitally animated, and generally more cartoonishly/warmly colored. I don't know that anybody has made an exhaustive list of changes but you can find some comparison pics by googling.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The masters were damaged between the releases of the LD and DVD versions, so they reanimated those parts. The colors don't match and there's less detail, reflecting that it was animated elsewhere under different circumstances.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I used to think people were over stating it; but there are some truly truly hideous flip flopping. It shares the same style as the later gaiden episodes, which are cheap and bad.

BUT: it's not so bad that it would make watching it not worth it. It's nowhere near as jarring as in the Zeta movies, for instance. If you have a choice I'd say go LD but if all that's there is DVD or BD please dont hesitate.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks everyone. I have the bd rip of the series. I will just stick with that, and, if I get curious on the differences, I will check out the dailymotion.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Recommended this to a friend, he finished ep 110 the other day and loved it thoroughly. My brother started watching it too with his film group - they were very upset by the fate of Kircheis, so I wonder how they will take later events. :ohdear:

Is there any credible information out there about the new series? I doubt it'll live up to the greatness of the original but I'm curious regardless.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's coming out in 2017, IG are making it, it's a readaptation of the novels rather than a remake of the OVA. Everything else is pretty much speculation

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

it's a readaptation of the novels rather than a remake of the OVA

By this point, having read the first two novels, I have absolutely no idea what this could mean. The show is about the most faithful adaptation of something I've ever seen.

There are elements that the show invented, sure (no liquid mercury around Iserlohn in the novels, for example), but the show is ridiculously faithful to the point of having the characters in show recite novel dialogue word for word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Probably means the new adaptation will take more liberties. Stylistic ones if nothing else.