Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Wedding rings go way back. She always wore one, he might or might not, depending on time, place and culture.

Ok, but in this case, we're specially taking about Victorian America, in which case, the answer is no, he wouldn't have worn a wedding ring. No one was saying wedding rings in general are an invention of the modern era, just that (western) men wearing them is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Khazar-khum posted:

No, what got these graduate students excited was the idea that you could walk into a store, get fabric, and then make something out of it. Not a single one of them had ever sewn anything in their lives, nor had the slightest idea that it was possible for someone to do so.

No offence, but this sounds like stdh stuff- where else would clothes come from? Did they think they sprang from the heads of tailors, fully formed? Trees that grow hoodies? Spontaneously generated out of the aetheric tides? Nope, nobody can be that daft, I refuse to believe it. Sorry, but this poo poo did not happen :colbert: Please say it didn't happen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grad students: "Wow, you made this?"

Khazar-khum: "heh what a bunch of fuckin morons, don't know that you can make things"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CommissarMega posted:

No offence, but this sounds like stdh stuff- where else would clothes come from? Did they think they sprang from the heads of tailors, fully formed? Trees that grow hoodies? Spontaneously generated out of the aetheric tides? Nope, nobody can be that daft, I refuse to believe it. Sorry, but this poo poo did not happen :colbert: Please say it didn't happen.

Think it might be "they were excited because they haven't met anyone who made their own clothes (as far as they know)." Or they might have just been impressed that it was made by Khazar.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I've had friends who assumed that all their clothes were made entirely by robots, not by miserable workers in a sweat shop in Bangladesh. I've also had housemates confused that I would repair torn hems and torn-off buttons on shirts instead of buying a new one. The idea that sometimes people will make a whole outfit out of lengths of fabric, for fun, really is beyond some people's imagining. Especially if they've led a very sheltered life up to that point.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I've had friends who assumed that all their clothes were made entirely by robots, not by miserable workers in a sweat shop in Bangladesh. I've also had housemates confused that I would repair torn hems and torn-off buttons on shirts instead of buying a new one. The idea that sometimes people will make a whole outfit out of lengths of fabric, for fun, really is beyond some people's imagining. Especially if they've led a very sheltered life up to that point.

Yeah I absolutely buy KK's story. Just being able to sew is a bamboozling concept to some people, being able to actually make something altogether (these days, in a first world country) is sorcery.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm pretty sure they were just trying to say that its impressive that you made a renaissance costume yourself, not that they literally cannot understand how cutting and sewing fabric together makes clothes. I mean, I know they're just stupid millennials but give them a little credit.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Hardcordion posted:

I'm pretty sure they were just trying to say that its impressive that you made a renaissance costume yourself, not that they literally cannot understand how cutting and sewing fabric together makes clothes. I mean, I know they're just stupid millennials but give them a little credit.

I agree, it sounds like they were just complimenting you on doing a good job.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ytlaya posted:

Because the letter was written by the poster to put on the internet and they want to remain anonymous.

:thejoke:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This post on my feed gave me a bit of a smile. good on ya

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Whenever I see one of these that isn't a mess of JPEG compression artifacts it triggers the nagging feeling that it may actually have happened. A story being nearly illegible from horrible compression artifacts is like the Pinocchio nose of STDH and when it's not there (and when it's not an iPhone screenshot) it makes me wonder.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

What the gently caress is this

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hogmartin posted:

Whenever I see one of these that isn't a mess of JPEG compression artifacts it triggers the nagging feeling that it may actually have happened. A story being nearly illegible from horrible compression artifacts is like the Pinocchio nose of STDH and when it's not there (and when it's not an iPhone screenshot) it makes me wonder.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

What the gently caress is this
stdh. But in case you missed it, its quoting some really terrible voice acting from Deus Ex that I definitely wouldn't have recognized if someone had started asking me about my mechanic, and I played the gently caress out of that game.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This post on my feed gave me a bit of a smile. good on ya

:unsmith:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Hardcordion posted:

Grad Students. At the University of California, which requires high GPA plus the GRE to enter.

I wonder if they were trying to be 'sophisticated' and deny knowledge of sewing in case it made them look 'low class'. However, they didn't understand that anyone who could follow a pattern could also make something, even them. I think it was willful denial. My family, who should know better by now, are routinely startled to see that a pile of fabric somehow turned into a garment. It's magic, like sweeperbravo said.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

stdh. But in case you missed it, its quoting some really awesome voice acting from Deus Ex that I definitely wouldn't have recognized if someone had started asking me about my mechanic, and I played the gently caress out of that game.

ftfy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

Grad Students. At the University of California, which requires high GPA plus the GRE to enter.

I wonder if they were trying to be 'sophisticated' and deny knowledge of sewing in case it made them look 'low class'. However, they didn't understand that anyone who could follow a pattern could also make something, even them. I think it was willful denial. My family, who should know better by now, are routinely startled to see that a pile of fabric somehow turned into a garment. It's magic, like sweeperbravo said.

:lol: if you live in a shithole country where textile crafts isn't mandatory for everyone in elementary school. What kind of person doesn't have a sewing machine license just :laffo:

(I suspect it wasn't an official license since it was typed onto a piece of cardboard.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Quora: Have you ever seen the teacher get completely roasted by a student in high school?

quote:

Ok well… This wasn’t in high school.. and nor was it a teacher. But close to one.

I was in 6th grade when I did this. And I was the only one who stood up to that mean old lady that no one could ever stand up to. Now, I wasn’t the jock of the school, but she really angered me that day and I thought why not give her a taste of my medicine. Again, I wasn’t the jock, but if you did something I didn’t like, you’d best bet I’d be coming back and stinging you like you wish you hadn’t done anything (It’s a thing I have. I normally don’t publicize it. But this day was the best day of my entire middle school years because I did and nobody dared mess with me ever again) Now, I do realize that this might have gone on my file that they see. But I’m not ashamed ONE SINGLE BIT! I’m quite proud actually. And I started bragging it all to my mom.. I did get in trouble by my mom but I was totally ok with it. As long as I got what I needed to do. Ok let me stop talking and get to the story already

It was Monday and we had an assignment due for science and I was screwed cause I didn’t do it. Cause I’m lazy sometimes like that. Now we were outside for recess and they blew the whistle for us to go inside and eat. So I went. Did the usual. Got school lunch (I got pb&j and chocolate milk. Don’t ask. I have really good memory of things but it’s hard to explain) then I sat and started doing my homework (that would have only taken me 5 minutes in reality) but I wasn’t really hungry so I didn’t eat anything. The old lady (lets call her Vanessa) comes over and finds me doing my homework. Now it’s been long so I don’t remember every single little detail but it went something a bit like this..

Vanessa: “Put your homework away. It’s lunch time.”

Me: “Excuse me, but I didn’t ask for your consent on what I should do”

Vanessa: Shouting “PUT YOUR HOMEWORK AWAY THIS INSTANT!”

now at this point the whole cafeteria was looking at me and her. Now what’s coming up soon I have to explain before I finish. So my mom always told me, if you’re not doing anything wrong and a teacher threatens to bring the principal, don’t be scared. Say “If you bring the principal, I will bring my parents along with the police” (something along those lines. Again, it’s been long)

Me: calm “I’m sorry, but are you my parent? Can you tell me what to do? I don’t think so. So please leave me alone and I will go back to minding my own business” continues to do homework

Vanessa: Still shouting “I WILL BRING THE PRINCIPAL IN HERE AND I WILL HAVE YOU EXPELLED!”

Inside I was scared. But I couldn’t show that ONE SINGLE BIT! And I didn’t. I can not surrender to what she has already done. Which is invading my privacy when I did nothing to her. I can never show my weak side. Never. It’s a rule of thumb for me.

Me: On my edge trying to keep calm but ended up yelling “BRING THE PRINCIPAL IN HERE! I’D LIKE TO SEE WHAT SHE’D DO TO ME! AND IF I DO GET EXPELLED AT LEAST IT’LL BE BETTER THAN SEEING YOUR UGLY NASTY FACE YELLING AT ME LIKE THIS! Oh and by the way, if you bring the principal, I will get the police AND MESS UP YOUR ENTIRE loving FAMILY!

Vanessa: calmly “Come with me”

and I went. I shouldn’t have. I should have said, “I won’t listen to an ignorant woman like you”

She put me in a small room and said “Do your work in here”

and ever since then, no one bothered mess with me again.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

What is up with the repeated non sequitur "I wasn’t the jock" thing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tacodaemon posted:

I think he's one of those weird guys who thought that school was a "Jocks vs. Nerds" stereotype, where the athletes and cheerleaders rule everything.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I have never heard of a school forbidding people from doing homework at lunch time. What the christ.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tracula posted:

I have never heard of a school forbidding people from doing homework at lunch time. What the christ.

One of the ones I went to banned doing it in the cafeteria.

This is because we were chronically overcrowded in there and there wasn't enough room for people to eat if other people started setting out a binder and a book. Anywhere else was fine.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

quote:

Got school lunch (I got pb&j and chocolate milk. Don’t ask. I have really good memory of things but it’s hard to explain)

Not sure why this is the one thing that gets me from that story, but you could throw a dart at my life from ca. 1984 up to about 1992 and have about 85% odds that I was having PBJ and chocolate milk for lunch. It's not a stark crystallized moment in time, it's kid's food for a kid.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tacodaemon posted:

It's probably just that it's coming from a 12-yr old without the best understanding of the world.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

hogmartin posted:

Not sure why this is the one thing that gets me from that story, but you could throw a dart at my life from ca. 1984 up to about 1992 and have about 85% odds that I was having PBJ and chocolate milk for lunch. It's not a stark crystallized moment in time, it's kid's food for a kid.

I figure putting in a random "fact" like that is seen as some way to prove the story.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

I figure putting in a random "fact" like that is seen as some way to prove the story.

oldpainess more like oldtrustless !

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

More like Whether man...?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sweet Jesus, if you're writing an STDH text, you should at least make yourself look good. This rear end in a top hat just sounds psychotic.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Sweet Jesus, if you're writing an STDH text, you should at least make yourself look good. This rear end in a top hat just sounds psychotic.

I think many of these are written by people whose only life experience comes from movies and cartoons. In those settings the people with the hidden "bad side" are cool. Of course, in real life they're weird psychos.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

baquerd posted:

It's probably just that it's coming from a 12-yr old without the best understanding of the world.

This. It really reads to me like he's still a middle schooler - but with above-average writing ability for his age - trying to pass himself off as an adult reminiscing about the past. The fixation on "jocks" and believing in the common American myth that every student has some kind of centralized, universally-viewable "permanent record" are tells.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does the whole jock/nerd dynamic even exist anymore

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

puck puck goose posted:

Nerds on the internet think it does.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

What if there are jocks on the internet :tinfoil:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

puck puck goose posted:

What if there are jocks on the internet :tinfoil:

shut up nerd

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So I'm here posting on my favorite kickass internet secret club and I'm just minding my business when suddenly a WILD JOCK approaches

Me: * minding my business *

Jock: "Did you just loving say something? You loving piece of poo poo. Shut up nerd. I hope you loving die. You'll never be as cool or as great as I am. I'm the best because I'm a jock. Do you see how best I am? Why don't you just kill yourself. I just exist as the author's personal strawman to relive high school trauma with on repeat on an internet echo chamber forever with other sad nerds that thought Toonami was the peak of American culture. Go gently caress yourself."

Little does he know that this Woobie is about to get a Crowning Moment of Awesome!

Me: "Is this the real life?"

Total Hottie: "Is this just fantasy?"

Albert Einstein: "Caught in a landslide.."

Jock: "No escape from reality!"

Then the jock becomes my bitch slave forever and I'm the most popular kid in school and Albert Einstein gets me THREE SCHOLARSHIPS to HARDVARD and the Total Hottie turns out to be FREDDIE MERCURY and he has the CURE FOR AIDS this entire time and we become SO CASH and and and and and and and and

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

puck puck goose posted:

More popular kids still make fun of and pick on kids who have no friends/are nerds/are really really different than other students if that's what you're asking.

dumb stupid idiot
Nov 4, 2015

REALLY NOT
FEELIN UP
TO IT RIGHT
NOW. SORRY.

:h:
more like old joyless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

oldpainless posted:

More popular kids still make fun of and pick on kids who have no friends/are nerds/are really really different than other students if that's what you're asking.

Getting picked on is a thing. It will always be a thing. My daughter gets picked on all the time just as did I in school. She's nerdy and has dyslexia so she's behind in reading. She gets teased for that from time to time. I just remind her to ignore them. They'll go away. It worked for me.

She has a different opinion that seems to work for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFJoUBP54o

To quote her in second grade, "You wouldn't think you could hurt someone with a lunchbox..."