Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, this bothered me too. That would take some incredible amounts of compartmentalization to not think about what was being sold on that site. It sure as poo poo isn't black market cupcakes.

It read as realistic to me. He says that he "knew" there was Bad poo poo on there, but he couldn't bear to actually look. Note that he lets Elliott go and implies that he absolutely knew that Elliott was going to rat him out when he put him back in the office. "Do what you gotta do" he says.

Ray represents the ultimate endpoint of dismantling the system; the market-driven Libertarian dream leads to some dark places. "We let the market decide", he says.

Ray is not a monster. People are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Elliot and Meryl streep's daughter are 100% going to gently caress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

steakmancer posted:

Elliot and Meryl streep's daughter are 100% going to gently caress

Didn't she play the deaf girl Jerry dates in Seinfeld? She looks exactly the same.

e: never mind, that woman is 50 now. Still looks super similar.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She was about 12 when it went off the air, so I loving hope not!

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, this bothered me too. That would take some incredible amounts of compartmentalization to not think about what was being sold on that site. It sure as poo poo isn't black market cupcakes.

I can easily believe someone just indefinitely postponing looking into something like this. Especially if they can hide it behind a promise to their dead partner.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Didn't she play the deaf girl Jerry dates in Seinfeld? She looks exactly the same.

e: never mind, that woman is 50 now. Still looks super similar.

Marlee Matlin is an actual deaf actress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Marlee Matlin is an actual deaf actress.

And a pretty funny comedian to boot. Could never place her accent though.....Dutch?

SidBo
Feb 9, 2004

Affi posted:

Then he receives a letter a few days later that white rose wants him to accept.

To me all of this points to him being hired as a white hat by the fbi in return for an early release. Landing him in a position to help Fsociety.

It makes some sense at least and moves the plot forward.

This also makes possible sense in the context of Darlene/fsociety people reading intercepted communications from their FBI hack, where the comment after reading whatever was on the laptop screen was "this is happening tomorrow?"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

SidBo posted:

This also makes possible sense in the context of Darlene/fsociety people reading intercepted communications from their FBI hack, where the comment after reading whatever was on the laptop screen was "this is happening tomorrow?"

The 'This is happening tomorrow' remark was Darlen's #2 guy dropping the Wall St. bull's nuts through the roof of the House of Representatives.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Why would they need to read the FBI's emails to know when they are dropping the brass balls? And why wouldn't the FBI stop it if they knew? And why wouldn't Darlene stop it if she knew the FBI knew? It's gonna be something else.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
lol marblecake

edit:

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frWe0SM0RUw

I only know it from the 2009 TIME person of the year poll when 4chan rigged it to not only have Moot as the person of the year but for the poll results to spell out "marblecake, also the game"

It was the hacking team I ran with back in '08 :-D

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

counterfeitsaint posted:

Every scene is her staring at someone with a doe eyed fight or flight look on her face for an uncomfortable amount of time before finally giving an emotionless answer.
I don't dislike Angela or her storyline, but this show has a really bad tendency to overuse these awkward, tense silences. It did so a lot during season 1 as well, with Elliot, and that was my biggest complaint with the show even then. Someone will ask him something uncomfortable or say something critical that he needs to find the exact right response to, and the show will just pause on his bug-in-headlights face for ten or so seconds while the other character just waits patiently for him to reboot. Y'know, to make the viewer experience the tension with him and stuff.

And I get why this should work from a purely technical, mechanical filmmaking standpoint. But it just does not ever work for me, for two main reasons: one, it's stupidly unrealistic and breaks immersion. Actual conversations don't work like that; no one's gonna wait half an hour for you to have a silent internal monologue with yourself before coming up with the correct canned responses to their demands, especially if you're being grilled on something that they find suspicious. They're gonna go "Hello? Excuse me? Did you hear me? I asked you a question. Anybody home?" and then they're gonna be triply suspicious of anything you say anyway.

The other reason is, like I said, they really overuse this trick. It gets to the point that you can see these routines coming well in advance and, worst of all, you get desensitized to them with every repeat showing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antti posted:

Why would they need to read the FBI's emails to know when they are dropping the brass balls? And why wouldn't the FBI stop it if they knew? And why wouldn't Darlene stop it if she knew the FBI knew? It's gonna be something else.

I think the thing "happening tomorrow" was the E Corp bailout vote, which they then disrupted with the balls.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

muscles like this? posted:

I think the thing "happening tomorrow" was the E Corp bailout vote, which they then disrupted with the balls.

Oh yeah, that makes more sense.

But they had the ball/drone operation brewing for a while. Were they just waiting for the right opportunity?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Uglycat posted:

lol marblecake

edit:

It was the hacking team I ran with back in '08 :-D

What was your name in the main IRC chat? or did you just lurk? High five good buddy. Hope you didn't use LOIC at any time aimed from that one though. Just saying. <3

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't dislike Angela or her storyline, but this show has a really bad tendency to overuse these awkward, tense silences. It did so a lot during season 1 as well, with Elliot, and that was my biggest complaint with the show even then. Someone will ask him something uncomfortable or say something critical that he needs to find the exact right response to, and the show will just pause on his bug-in-headlights face for ten or so seconds while the other character just waits patiently for him to reboot. Y'know, to make the viewer experience the tension with him and stuff.

And I get why this should work from a purely technical, mechanical filmmaking standpoint. But it just does not ever work for me, for two main reasons: one, it's stupidly unrealistic and breaks immersion. Actual conversations don't work like that; no one's gonna wait half an hour for you to have a silent internal monologue with yourself before coming up with the correct canned responses to their demands, especially if you're being grilled on something that they find suspicious. They're gonna go "Hello? Excuse me? Did you hear me? I asked you a question. Anybody home?" and then they're gonna be triply suspicious of anything you say anyway.

The other reason is, like I said, they really overuse this trick. It gets to the point that you can see these routines coming well in advance and, worst of all, you get desensitized to them with every repeat showing.

I'm usually willing to get it go if the pause is for some internal monologuing. I mean technically that wouldn't work, but what else can the they, have the monologue and conversation go off together? I'll even give it a pass if someone is talking in their ear. But sometimes with Angela it's neither of those, and she's just staring forever before answers, or occasionally just looking away and not answering. Although I do love it that Mr Robot can hear and interrupt Elliot's conversations with us. I wonder if Mr Robot will ever address us directly?

Escobarbarian posted:

You're on SA. Pick your battles. However I am genuinely interested in why "xe" is the pronoun in this case.

I'm sure no one who would edit a tv's wiki would have issues or want to project their own bullshit onto fictional characters, nope.

Can you imagine whiterose, who is obsessed with time, stopping someone to explain why xe is a word and how it's disrespectful that they didn't know that already or at least should ask about pronouns and poo poo? Maybe throw in a microaggression rant.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm sure no one who would edit a tv's wiki would have issues or want to project their own bullshit onto fictional characters, nope.

Can you imagine whiterose, who is obsessed with time, stopping someone to explain why xe is a word and how it's disrespectful that they didn't know that already or at least should ask about pronouns and poo poo? Maybe throw in a microaggression rant.
Xe wouldn't because he is either busy hiding that side of himself from everyone or she is busy gettin' those sweet rear end dresses worn.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if White Rose ends up being more or less a "good guy" of the show.

edit: "good person", ok

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except, you know, murdering all those FBI agents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Except, you know, murdering all those FBI agents.

Good and bad are extremely relative in this show. That's why I put "good guy" in quotes. The main villain of the show (ostensibly) - the head of E Corp - has done, to our knowledge, absolutely nothing that's as bad as what actual CEOs in the real world do every day. And yet he is the face we have of the beast that must be destroyed?

I feel like a large part of this show is getting you to re-evaluate what good and evil mean in this particularly modern world we're in. Acting Presidents have ordered attacks that resulted in more unnecessary deaths than the FBI attack. Just saying.

edit: Like, Leon straight up assassinated the prison rapists. Did they deserve it? To be honest, yes, as Perry Farrell reminds us "some people should die - that's just uncommon knowledge" but in an abstract legal and moral sense, really, nobody deserves to be murdered illegally - Leon could have simply incapacitated them, right? So we let this butchering go, and probably even cheer for it, but just an episode before we saw a similar butchering and it was a tragedy. Coincidence or am I just high?

precision fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 22, 2016

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I think it's fine for Elliot and Angela to be awkward as hell in whatever conversations they have opposed to let's say Dom or Joanna who probably aren't as socially awkward and can think on their feet. I never had the super smooth conversations with people in real life that's usually portrayed on TV anyway. You just have a different perception of what a normal conversation is.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I caught up with the last two episodes and I really wish they did more with Joanna. Why would Joanna end up with some barista dude and not some other rich dude she can manipulate? I'm surprised she doesn't have a small circle of people from ECorp that she knows or a group of yuppie moms. I'm also upset that Tyrell is probably dead, I thought that he would be a larger threat in season 2.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Idia posted:

I think it's fine for Elliot and Angela to be awkward as hell in whatever conversations they have opposed to let's say Dom or Joanna who probably aren't as socially awkward and can think on their feet. I never had the super smooth conversations with people in real life that's usually portrayed on TV anyway. You just have a different perception of what a normal conversation is.
Of course nobody has perfectly crafted dialog IRL outside of prepared speeches or something, but normal people also don't just stare at others for 10 seconds with a blank expression on their face every time they're asked something very basic. It'd be fine if this was used more sparingly, like when she got busted by the FBI dude, but this seems to be her default reaction nowadays and it gets annoying.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mobby_6kl posted:

Of course nobody has perfectly crafted dialog IRL outside of prepared speeches or something, but normal people also don't just stare at others for 10 seconds with a blank expression on their face every time they're asked something very basic. It'd be fine if this was used more sparingly, like when she got busted by the FBI dude, but this seems to be her default reaction nowadays and it gets annoying.
Yeah, it really stretches the suspension of disbelief when she's getting grilled by Dom about why she was on the restricted floor and she stares unblinkingly at her like a soulless robot, then after about 5-10 seconds of silence gives a strange smile and monotone answer. It's like, "Uhhh, wouldn't Dom immediately bring her in because she's acting insane?"

It works with Elliot because we're seeing through his unreliable mind (at this point in the series, he can talk with Mr. Robot and people won't hear him), but for other characters, it's completely unnatural.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it really stretches the suspension of disbelief when she's getting grilled by Dom about why she was on the restricted floor and she stares unblinkingly at her like a soulless robot, then after about 5-10 seconds of silence gives a strange smile and monotone answer. It's like, "Uhhh, wouldn't Dom immediately bring her in because she's acting insane?"

Yeah and Dom definitely doesn't trust her at all and wants to bring her in. She also had earbuds on so I could see why it took her so long to respond. I don't notice her cold, soulless robot stare, it's more of an anxiousness if anything else. I just don't find her expression to be as annoying as everyone else is making it out to be. It just sounds she's just into some deep poo poo she really shouldn't be in and that's how any normal person would act. She's constantly on edge and lacks the confidence compared to the other characters on the show.

Idia fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 22, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, there still could be a time dilation effect. Where the pauses arent actually as long as we see, because we are seeing how long they feel to Angela/Elliot. There's no reason this sort of thing needs to be taken completely literally, even in a show without unreliable narration as a storytelling mechanic. That's just like, regular artistic narration. "The awkward pause seemed to last an eternity", conveyed visually.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

What, is this like if you watch Everyone Loves Raymond and take out the audience laughter/applause so everyone seems to take long pauses between sentences?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_sxuyB_uVI

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes but instead of audience laughter, Mr. Robot has audience suspense.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Dialogue in any scripted show is vastly different from the way people talk in real life and *pause for dramatic effect* is just one of those ways

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If anything, I'd say the reason you feel that way is because everything else about the show often feels so real and grounded in our reality. I've felt that way about shows in the past as well; you want to be super nitpicky because the show is so realistic in so many ways that picking up on one conventional TV practice can whip you back into reality

e: quote is not edit

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Another awkward thing about Ray's characterization to me was his whole monologue about abusing his dog.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Problem with Ray is that he went from nice friendly guy to real bad muthafucker and then back to nice guy to get himself arrested and leave the show

As for Angela and Dom, I thought it was really authentic and well done. She was pretty nervous, she was caught by Dom in the worst possible moment, she just froze

edit: same goes for her conversation with FBI guy upstairs, she almost panicked in both cases. The difference being that Dom already was suspicious of her and its smarter and wanst interested in loving her, so Dom totally realized she was nervous and hiding something

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 22, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Another awkward thing about Ray's characterization to me was his whole monologue about abusing his dog.

Yeah, but it's not out of character for him to br someone who only cares about other living things when they are of use to him, and don't inconvenience him. When his dog was a convenient companion, he loved her, and as soon as she was a burden, he couldn't be bothered.

He's unsurprisingly a terrible person. But I agree that his whole characterization feels awkward. I feel like everything about him was kind of metaphorically about Mr. Robot. It's a look at the type of person Mr. Robot might be, and at the same time, his approach to "not looking" is kind of what Elliot's mind is doing with all of Mr. Robot.

Like I think it's time to accept that Mr. Robot isn't a unique and separate personality, but a psychological coping mechanism that Elliot has developed to shield himself from guilt and pain.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Good and bad are extremely relative in this show. That's why I put "good guy" in quotes. The main villain of the show (ostensibly) - the head of E Corp - has done, to our knowledge, absolutely nothing that's as bad as what actual CEOs in the real world do every day. And yet he is the face we have of the beast that must be destroyed?
I kind of love what an even hand Price is getting this season. Maybe the show is buying into the old man act he ably put on last season, but White Rose is hacking circles around him and he's failing to manipulate Congress to his satisfaction.

Idia posted:

I caught up with the last two episodes and I really wish they did more with Joanna. Why would Joanna end up with some barista dude and not some other rich dude she can manipulate? I'm surprised she doesn't have a small circle of people from ECorp that she knows or a group of yuppie moms. I'm also upset that Tyrell is probably dead, I thought that he would be a larger threat in season 2.
There's a theory going around that Joanna met him at the party Tyrell murdered Sharon at, and she's using him to clear at least one of the charges from Tyrell's name and secure his severance (from the premiere) for her.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Snak posted:

Like I think it's time to accept that Mr. Robot isn't a unique and separate personality, but a psychological coping mechanism that Elliot has developed to shield himself from guilt and pain.

This is by far the best development we've had in Season 2. In fiction we always see a split personality like Tyler Durden: another side of you where you don't remember and has completely different motivations. That's not how people work, though. We create the most insane pieces of our personality as methods to deal with pain and loss. Mr. Robot doesn't take control of Eliot. Eliot started the hack and (probably) shot Tyrell and so on. It's when he felt ashamed or traumatized of it that he used a projection of his father to compensate and forget. The interactions in the latest episode mirror trauma therapy.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

There's a theory going around that Joanna met him at the party Tyrell murdered Sharon at, and she's using him to clear at least one of the charges from Tyrell's name and secure his severance (from the premiere) for her.

Oh, that's a good theory. I wonder how she'll set him up though. He doesn't have a history with Sharon Knowles unless Joanna fabricates some prior history between the two. I hope they speed up this Joanna side story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Next season's twist will be that Angela is actually Price's daughter somehow.

e: poo poo I'm not sure I'm even kidding, then that layers his character because he knowingly killed off his mistress or whatever, maybe to hide her from his wife

I should probably stop writing fanfiction now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

It read as realistic to me. He says that he "knew" there was Bad poo poo on there, but he couldn't bear to actually look.

I've just realised Ray is intended as a dark mirror of Elliott. Elliott knows that something bad went down with Tyrell but he brings out Mr. Robot as a defence mechanism to keep himself from remembering so that he doesn't have to deal.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

precision posted:

Next season's twist will be that Angela is actually Price's daughter somehow.

e: poo poo I'm not sure I'm even kidding, then that layers his character because he knowingly killed off his mistress or whatever, maybe to hide her from his wife

I should probably stop writing fanfiction now

That's an interesting idea. Then his repeated attempts to take her to dinner or "celebrate his birthday" are actually him trying to get to know his daughter and not him hitting on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

It works with Elliot because we're seeing through his unreliable mind (at this point in the series, he can talk with Mr. Robot and people won't hear him),

I don't think this is true. Didn't Ray and the guard exchange a look when Elliot talked to Robot when he sat down? I think E just don't give a gently caress anymore, since Ray already knew he had problems

• Locked thread