Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

Yeah, I dig that they're both sympathetic characters in various ways while still being monstrous. Watching them fail miserably or cause chaos is fun as hell, but it's also hard not to root for them wrecking the neighbor, who is an even bigger piece of poo poo.

I was just rewatching Footfist Way because it just got added to Netflix. I forgot how loving absurd and hilarious it is and it's basically forgotten as a cult comedy.

You present well worded and thoughtful opinions. I appreciate your presence in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo Russell you hosed up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
drat the coffee was huge. That blew the whole thing wide open. I love this show.

I also love how genius it is because I switch from Ballers to this and it's like my god a tv show about riding dirt bikes in the middle of a high school is more grounded in reality than a football show

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh gently caress the dominos have begun to tumble.

On the edge of my seat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I think it's interesting the way they just decided to make 18 episodes shoot all of them and now their done with the show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lee you fool!

Next week looks amazing.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I treat her like poo poo so she'll do better

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lee got greedy.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Swift is a qt :3

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Hahaha Ray cheering for Gamby too, a cuckold but a great guy

E: lmfao I forgot about the word filter

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked that the history teacher smarmed his way out of a threesome. If he wouldn't have been so dismissive at Snodgrass' desperation, she would've totally been down to clown.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh poo poo the coffee thing came back to haunt them (and then in the preview Russell has a bunch of Starbucks/pre-made coffees on his lap at the assembly, which made me laugh). This is great.

And I do like how Ray has been consistently shown to be at least a decent person in the face of Gamby's obvious hatred for him. Even the very first episode, he was helping set up the congratulations party.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Ray and Gamby's daughter are both sweethearts.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like this show.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I can't believe you have a nemesis named Ray. What a stupid loving name.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Next week's episode looks good. Russell trying to deal with Dr. Brown's sons, especially after the coffee cup incident should be awesome. This is probably the first show in a while where I'm bummed I have to wait a week, because I just want more and more insanity. Though I'm honestly hoping that Gamby and Snodgrass just stay as friends that try to help each other out. I thought it was especially demeaning and dismissive that the History teacher she was sleeping with called her 'kid' the entire episode.

Ray continues to be amazing even with the limited screen time. 'That motherfucker still up!' cracked me up.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 22, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I was anticipating something to go horribly wrong during Russell and Gamby's little forklift tussle. Instead it's the stupidly obvious coffee thing the show set up in the second episode and I was totally blindsided by it.

Also speaking of the forklifts, I was immediately reminded of the water jet packs in Eastbound during that whole scene. Jody Hill and Danny McBride love ridiculous modes of conveyance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OELIumtA4

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought it was especially demeaning and dismissive that the History teacher she was sleeping with called her 'kid' the entire episode.

Yeah, I could see a guy doing that irl if he was enough of a prick so somehow it struck me as more offensive than any of the truly outrageous poo poo pulled by Russell and Gamby.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, I could see a guy doing that irl if he was enough of a prick so somehow it struck me as more offensive than any of the truly outrageous poo poo pulled by Russell and Gamby.

The fact that it is a real life thing that people will actually do to other people just smacks of being more offensive, you totally got it on the nose. It's a real world level act of dickishness, not something over the top like stealing 600 books and trying to pin it on someone else to start a faculty showdown.

E: I know it's TV and all, but isn't getting caught spitting in your boss's coffee something you could actually get shitcanned for? Then again, going from being tricked into falsely accusing the English teacher of stealing books, to turning around claiming you caught the VP spitting in your drink would probably get shrugged off as a 'baseless accusation' given only Brown saw Russell do it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

the coffee thing will only push Dr Brown to get closer to Gamby because despite his petition and all that happened earlier she atleast still thinks Russell and Gamby are enemies and thus thered be no way theyd be working together against her. It'd be interesting to see Russell and Gamby switched as her right-hand man.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Walton Goggins is amazing. How has he never won an Emmy?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Bananana posted:

I like this show.

Agreed. It's real good, folks. This show has surpassed all expectations I had for it so far. Walter Goggins is a national loving treasure.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Last Chance posted:

Agreed. It's real good, folks. This show has surpassed all expectations I had for it so far. Walter Goggins is a national loving treasure.

For a few weeks now, I've been suggesting it in gbs.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Russell in the background still destroying the warehouse with his forklift while Gamby rides away really got me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ray seems like a pretty cool and chill dude.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

withak posted:

Ray seems like a pretty cool and chill dude.

A consistently good dude, but I also know that if he was married to a ex of mine I'd kind of loving hate him.

I get why Gamby hates him. He's the dad and guy he wishes he could be, but he's too much of a dick to get there.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 23, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I cringe a lot whenever I see Gamby acting like his rear end in a top hat self to Ray. He's the one genuinely kindhearted character on this show (outside of Gamby's daughter/his stepdaughter) and it pains me to see him get treated so badly.

I liked this episode, it followed the "good even number/underwhelming odd number" pattern. Here's hoping next episode bucks the trend.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I really hope Ray doesn't have an rear end in a top hat moment himself, and remains a chill as gently caress dude. Agreed with the earlier post, I was dying during the wheelie scene.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ray was given a justified chance to snap on Gamby at the track when he told him to leave, but still did it in the nicest way possible. He's the nicest guy ever and I wish he'd marry my ex-wife.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Duke posted:

I really hope Ray doesn't have an rear end in a top hat moment himself, and remains a chill as gently caress dude.

Agreed, it's way funnier when characters like Ray are just genuinely nice instead of having some stupid turn to retro-actively justify the main character being an rear end in a top hat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grem posted:

He's the nicest guy ever and I wish he'd marry my ex-wife.

This is probably the most honest and nicest sentence I've ever read on Something Awful.

And that just says a lot about Ray. He good.

[blackguynodding.gif]

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Duke posted:

I really hope Ray doesn't have an rear end in a top hat moment himself, and remains a chill as gently caress dude. Agreed with the earlier post, I was dying during the wheelie scene.

He serves pretty much the same straight man role as John Hawkes' character on Eastbound.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
i wish the principal was my mom

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Pron on VHS posted:

i wish the principal was my mom

I wish Ray were my step-dad. Dirt bikes look like fun.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I liked how during the moto "training" scenes even in some of the closeups they had a buff tanned arm there and then in others they'd have Danny's skinny, pasty arm.

I also would like to think Shea Wigham did his own riding stunts.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I liked how in the football rivalry episode, Ray was rooting for the other school and mocked Gamby. It keeps him from being cartoonishly zen.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
it shows that despite his incredible kindness he understands the jokey boys-are-back-in-town atmosphere of a high school sports rivalry

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Ray still conceded that the Warriors were playing a good game though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Agreed, it's way funnier when characters like Ray are just genuinely nice instead of having some stupid turn to retro-actively justify the main character being an rear end in a top hat.
Luckily this show seems to have no problem admitting that Gamby and Russell are just raging assholes, so hopefully Ray will just stay a genuinely nice guy.

Anyway, I don't post here much but I'm definitely still enjoying the show - probably even more than Eastbound. I think Goggins might have something to do with that, he just tends to make everything more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

A lot of the humor for me comes from the fact that everyone other than Gamby and Russel are pretty much normal. There's these two buffoon cartoon characters trying to interact with the real world and the way the high schoolers look at them is hilarious.

I feel like they're dragging the principal down with them though and she's starting to crack.

• Locked thread