Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

What did DTAM get banned for? Making fun of pro graps?

GIFs, SenorLARIATO got banned as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

WWE fired Joey Styles and hired a new company that loves to crank it to DMCA takedowns and they don't mind going full scorched-earth

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Mob posted:

WWE fired Joey Styles and hired a new company that loves to crank it to DMCA takedowns and they don't mind going full scorched-earth

They finally re-hired Mark Monitor from the old days where wrestling message boards were afraid to post YouTube clips

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Muddy Burphy posted:

They finally re-hired Mark Monitor from the old days where wrestling message boards were afraid to post YouTube clips

I was in junior high school when that was at its peak and let me tell you I felt cool and like a spy, when I found WWE vids on YouTube.

"tell me, friend, do you where a virtuous man might find The Cheese Soufflé?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This is also where Bork Laser came from, right? They had to keep changing the names of videos around and that was the eventual result.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I dont know how much longer i can live in a world without the good clips, but at least this software company has a quite an apt name. Now excuse me while hurt broke souffle SCMs cheese jackson

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Was the Mark Monitor thing also the reason why the e-fed scene crumbled so hard?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Glad to see WWE going back to a strategy that works: loving the fans.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How does banning people for posting gifs help wwe in anyway possible is what I want to know.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The_Rob posted:

How does banning people for posting gifs help wwe in anyway possible is what I want to know.

Well you see, *soundtrack to Big Daddy V farts plays*

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Obviously if you DMCA everyone who posts WWE content people will stop using the internet and go back to watching television and bam, ratings are back, baby.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Well you see, *soundtrack to Big Daddy V farts plays*

*sniffs-*

Yes

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

If you don't protect every intellectual property you have, when you want to defend the ones you actually care about the defendant has the legal argument of "well they don't actually care about their intellectual property"

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Going after sites that post entire PPVs is different than going after fans for posting 30 frame, low quality clips on Twitter with humorous comments.

WWE would never get a dime if they tried to sue for damages because fair use would be an easy case to make for these guys, and they could likely get free defense.

Anyway gifs are simply a part of the culture now and you have to be anti-fans to even consider going after gif makers/posters.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm not saying its right or even smart PR wise just that there's legal precedent for their legal team to take them down if that's what they're paid for

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's funny how this coincides with that one gif maker asking for money on Patreon. Maybe WWE was OK with it until people started monetizing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

If you don't protect every intellectual property you have, when you want to defend the ones you actually care about the defendant has the legal argument of "well they don't actually care about their intellectual property"

No they don't. Where did you go to law school?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yas African AIDS Cum, smash the gently caress out of him

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

That's pretty much a myth

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/trademark-law-does-not-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

As far as I know he's right about having to go after people loving with your IP, but I don't think that's the case here. There would be no way to go after everyone who posts GIFs, and they are just too easily defensible with fair use (that's a total guess, I don't actually know of any cases of people being sued over GIF posting).

These types of petty take downs could possibly weaken their power over time, and could make it harder to go after real offenders. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking because gently caress WWE for doing this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The_Rob posted:

Gets people to follow the twitter accounts owned by the WWE that post gifs of matches. The NFL and NHL do the same thing

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Gets people to follow the twitter accounts owned by the WWE that post gifs of matches. The NFL and NHL do the same thing

They don't post fun gifs though.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

And I love that WWE constantly touts that they have more social media followers then those assholes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

As far as I know he's right about having to go after people loving with your IP, but I don't think that's the case here. There would be no way to go after everyone who posts GIFs, and they are just too easily defensible with fair use (that's a total guess, I don't actually know of any cases of people being sued over GIF posting).

These types of petty take downs could possibly weaken their power over time, and could make it harder to go after real offenders. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking because gently caress WWE for doing this.

UFC has gone after gifs as well. It'd be a hard sell that it is actually fair use too.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I love it when I'm wrong.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MassRafTer posted:

UFC has gone after gifs as well. It'd be a hard sell that it is actually fair use too.

In fairness, the UFC is an Actual Sport where the finishes are the most important part of the show. It's tough to substitute an entire wrestling PPV with gifs.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

So they actually sued for damages?

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
Well the NFL does a similar thing, where they will take down gifs. The work around for it is that if you add humorous text to the gif then it is fair use. That's at least what I've been told when I ask why all of the NFL gifs have stupid memes on them from kissingsuzykobler. So the gif makers should just add text mocking the WWE and then, bam, they are fair use.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Prowler5X5/status/767845354742112256

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Scott Justice posted:

The work around for it is that if you add humorous text to the gif then it is fair use. That's at least what I've been told when I ask why all of the NFL gifs have stupid memes on them from kissingsuzykobler. So the gif makers should just add text mocking the WWE and then, bam, they are fair use.

Using clips can be defended under fair use, I guess putting text on gifs is even fairer use

https://gfycat.com/PoorPowerfulAmericanalligator
https://fat.gfycat.com/PoorPowerfulAmericanalligator.webm

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WrasslorMonkey posted:

And I love that WWE constantly touts that they have more social media followers then those assholes.

heh, "touts"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So Jericho has now stood up to both Lesnar and Goldberg.....he has to have serious respect in the locker room now, yes?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/RealMickFoley/status/767861610119569410

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

So they actually sued for damages?

Sorry, they sent takedowns and cease and desists. I'm pretty sure they've only sued (and won) for people streaming PPVs.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Scott Justice posted:

Well the NFL does a similar thing, where they will take down gifs. The work around for it is that if you add humorous text to the gif then it is fair use. That's at least what I've been told when I ask why all of the NFL gifs have stupid memes on them from kissingsuzykobler. So the gif makers should just add text mocking the WWE and then, bam, they are fair use.

Might just be that altering the gif to add words avoids whatever software they use to identify the copyrighted material.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It's still lovely that the takedowns happened, but if it ends with them telling their new company to back off on that poo poo, then it's no big deal long term. This stuff usually just happens due to miscommunications.

The adding text to a thing probably does help evade automated filters, but it does strengthen fair use under parody. But it's not like there's a line where it becomes infringement or fair use, that would be determined by a judge if it was ever brought to case.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

DeathChicken posted:

This is also where Bork Laser came from, right? They had to keep changing the names of videos around and that was the eventual result.

Bork Laser, Crispin Wah, Marzipan Henry/Moark Hamry, Cheese Jackson, Hairy Train, Fatt Lardy, Jahn Ceenu etc.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So Jericho has now stood up to both Lesnar and Goldberg.....he has to have serious respect in the locker room now, yes?

judging by the amount of people on his podcast in general plus his uber veteran status, I'd say he's accrued all the respect he needs anyway but being ready to loving fight Lesnar is an entirely new world of "best dad ever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Jericho is hella smart because Brock is cycling and not as strong as usual