Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

precision posted:

Next season's twist will be that Angela is actually Price's daughter somehow.

e: poo poo I'm not sure I'm even kidding, then that layers his character because he knowingly killed off his mistress or whatever, maybe to hide her from his wife

I should probably stop writing fanfiction now

This definitely entered my mind as well this episode. Seems too samey for a reveal but still plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Paradox Personified posted:

What was your name in the main IRC chat? or did you just lurk? High five good buddy. Hope you didn't use LOIC at any time aimed from that one though. Just saying. <3

I went by Consensus.

I never used the LOIC, but I sure remember that chapter :) I actually got quoted (anonymously) in a NYT front page article, declaring war on the US gov't lol.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Spoilers for the Mr. Robot app below, trying to figure out if I broke it or something:

Last night I was trying to text Lois Berry to get her login credentials and it didn't go so well. The last thing that happened was she said she'd just login for me when she gets to the office in a few hours and I said "Lois, that'll be too late!" And that was 14 hours ago, haven't heard anything since. In the middle of the conversation I got some additional information from Darlene, and I haven't heard anything new from her or "E" either...is it normal to go this long without any notifications? I'm pretty sure I failed this first assignment anyways and now I'm wondering if I mucked up the sequence of events somehow.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Stabitha posted:

That's an interesting idea. Then his repeated attempts to take her to dinner or "celebrate his birthday" are actually him trying to get to know his daughter and not him hitting on her.

It would be completely loving stupid

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I like Price as a character, but that would be the dumbest twist imaginable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Spoilers for the Mr. Robot app below, trying to figure out if I broke it or something:

Last night I was trying to text Lois Berry to get her login credentials and it didn't go so well. The last thing that happened was she said she'd just login for me when she gets to the office in a few hours and I said "Lois, that'll be too late!" And that was 14 hours ago, haven't heard anything since. In the middle of the conversation I got some additional information from Darlene, and I haven't heard anything new from her or "E" either...is it normal to go this long without any notifications? I'm pretty sure I failed this first assignment anyways and now I'm wondering if I mucked up the sequence of events somehow.

It's been almost a day and Lois hasn't responded to my initial message :(

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
No spoilers here just a warning to the players of the mobile game. The game is known to be buggy but you should also keep in mind that it's possible to gently caress up a sequence of event, although to what point I'm not sure. I don't think the game would be rendered unplayable. Be patient a little more and then the game might have bugged if nothing comes up. Sometimes you can message people even without them talking to you first or being notified, try talking to Elliot or maybe Darlene and see if you can tell them that you hosed up, I had that option when I hosed up

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I think Price sees her as a pawn. He knows why she's there. He will give her information that will "help" her get back at those who wronged her family. But really she is just cleaning house for him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

joebuddah posted:

I think Price sees her as a pawn. He knows why she's there. He will give her information that will "help" her get back at those who wronged her family. But really she is just cleaning house for him.

Yeah. That's the value that she demonstrated when she threw her AllSafe career under the bus by testifying about the chain of custody thing. She's totally willing to burn bridges and sabotage her own career just to "do the right thing". Price literally just gave her dirt on people he wanted to get rid of and she took care of it with his hands totally clean.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Someone will ask him something uncomfortable or say something critical that he needs to find the exact right response to, and the show will just pause on his bug-in-headlights face for ten or so seconds while the other character just waits patiently for him to reboot.

Angela and the FBI dude's breaks between speaking was out of loving control and killed the tension of the scene.

This really does happen too much.

It works with Elliot sometimes because the other person comments on it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

It works with Elliot sometimes because the other person comments on it.
That really is the key difference - Elliot acts like a weirdo and occasionally gets called out for it. Angela isn't otherwise that strange, and when she appears to space-out mid conversation the other party never reacts as if she's being odd.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

DaveKap posted:

Okay, I've got three theories now that I thought about it a bit more.

First, Tyrell's wife either killed Tyrell or helped Elliot dispose of the body. This is why she was acting so crazy when Elliot asked her at the end of S1 where Tyrell was, either she was covering up for the murder or is wondering why this person who she helped hide the body is asking where he is. This is why she needed to bribe the parking lot attendant. It's not that she's covering up for Elliot, it's that she's covering up for herself. This is why she believes she deserves Tyrell's severance (or whatever it's called in this situation) and why she's moving on to the new guy instead of holding out for Tyrell's return. If we're going so far as to suggest Angela is playing stupid to throw of Dom's suspicions that she's involved with the 5/9 hack, then I'll go so far as to say Mrs. Wellick falls for the Paparazzi's tricks (sending her Tyrell-related gifts and calling her) in order to act completely innocent to his disappearance.

Secondly, I bet she pulled some strings to get Elliot incarcerated after realizing he didn't know what he (or she) had done. The knock at Elliot's door at the end of S1 was her body guard taking him away to the prison, one of the few times his abduction was real.

Finally, it's also possible that White Rose is the one who pulled the strings to get Elliot incarcerated. That's also why White Rose had Leon keep Elliot protected. Unfortunately, Leon couldn't keep Elliot out of the Warden's (Ray's) grasp so he still had to end up suffering but in the end, White Rose has Elliot stationed there for a reason. Hell, maybe White Rose needed to take out Ray's operation because it was competition and White Rose was the one who leaked to Ray that Elliot was an extraordinary hacker who could get his operation working again.

All that said, I had to go back and watch the end of S1 scene with Price and White Rose again to figure something out. Price actually didn't want the hack to go through, he's actually at odds with White Rose (I don't know why I thought they were Illuminati-ing it up when they're making deals at the gathering, not laughing over their plans working.) White Rose talks about Rome burning, obviously eluding to the financial collapse of America with the E-Corp hack. Price says he already knows who caused 5/9 and are dealing with it appropriately. So, what, maybe Price got Elliot jailed? Maybe White Rose is protecting Elliot from Price's crew? Maybe Price got Wellick killed? Hard to know how deep this all goes. Can someone remind me how the last Price/White Rose conversation went?

Edit: Welp now I'm going off the deep end. What secret did "we" keep from Elliot that made him not trust "us" again? Whatever it was, it was the cause for him covering up the prison. Apparently he told Krista something that he covered up as well, something that didn't even seem related to the prison. Ugh, re-watching this show makes me ask more questions instead of come up with answers.

This post not getting enough love. Super interesting theory about Tyrell's wife, in particular. I really like that interpretation of it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

update: still no notifications, I think I broke it. Going to reinstall it and try again I suppose!

Word of caution to anyone looking to download the game: it's very cool, you should do it, but...don't do what I did I guess, or you'll break it. :lol:

e: in spoiler-friendly terms: I was attempting to coax someone into giving me their login details via text, and during the mission I texted Darlene to ask for her help. Don't do that I guess, or the game might soft lock.

timp fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 24, 2016

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

timp posted:

update: still no notifications, I think I broke it. Going to reinstall it and try again I suppose!

Word of caution to anyone looking to download the game: it's very cool, you should do it, but...don't do what I did I guess, or you'll break it. :lol:

e: in spoiler-friendly terms: I was attempting to coax someone into giving me their login details via text, and during the mission I texted Darlene to ask for her help. Don't do that I guess, or the game might soft lock.

I think this might have been what you're missing: at a certain point if Lois stops texting you, there's an IT helpline for the company you can message that's an alternate pathway for info. It should be in your contacts list. I think you have to exhaust all possible methods at some points in the game before it will progress. It can be a bit obtuse. Of course, that might not be right and it really did soft-lock you out, I dunno. It's definitely a fun little game though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

AwkwardKnob posted:

This post not getting enough love. Super interesting theory about Tyrell's wife, in particular. I really like that interpretation of it.
Appreciate the shout out; after typing all that and getting zero mentions of the theories, I just assumed I'm a crazy person. ;)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I like the theory about Tyrell's wife too. I binged this all super quickly and I actually forgot about the knock at Elliot's door at the end of S1. I find her and Tyrell really fascinating so I hope there is some sort of interesting explanation for her because I feel like she's been a bit underused this season. Whatever she has going on with the new guy is just a bit ??? I miss seeing her be an arch manipulator/Lady Macbeth.

At the moment I think Dom is my favourite character. I hope she stays in the show for a while. It's nice to have at least one character who seems relatively normal.

Goddamn I love this show, the best and most interesting thing I've watched in a while.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Started watching this with my wife. We are on episode 5 I think? It's an amazing show, but we felt so bad for poor Bill the cat guy :(

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
so who is the pyromaniac chick going to turn out to be?

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Another whiterose/dark army spy or soldier working with Leon?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Maybe she's just a prisoner that likes to burn poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Maybe she's just a prisoner that likes to burn poo poo

I would imagine prisons frown on people starting fires, even contained ones in a wheelbarrow.

Paperhouse posted:

It would be completely loving stupid

Yea, he's just an old pervert. With all the Roger Ailes poo poo that just came out, it's a good time to remember that rich fucks feel entitled to literally anything, including people.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

a trolley posted:

I think this might have been what you're missing: at a certain point if Lois stops texting you, there's an IT helpline for the company you can message that's an alternate pathway for info. It should be in your contacts list. I think you have to exhaust all possible methods at some points in the game before it will progress. It can be a bit obtuse. Of course, that might not be right and it really did soft-lock you out, I dunno. It's definitely a fun little game though.

It's a fun game, but it's too short. There are only 3 or 4 main puzzles that only show up when the game wants you to play them, so you can wait 2 days and then all of a sudden it hits you with a ton of poo poo. You can put it off and it doesn't seem to mess with the game play, but once you get to the point where you think the game is picking up speed, suddenly it's over. I've played through it a few times now, and while every time is a bit different, it always ends the same.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

My guess is no one since prisons aren't really keen on housing co-ed prisoners. And also the fire thing that was just mentioned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK guys, so I haven't seen any of season two since I'm planning on binging through the whole thing in a weekend once it's finished, but last night I sat around listening to all the friends that I watched season one with say it's almost as bad as the second season of True Detective. Please thread, tell me this isn't true and they were just messing with me/idiots.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They're idiots.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK guys, so I haven't seen any of season two since I'm planning on binging through the whole thing in a weekend once it's finished, but last night I sat around listening to all the friends that I watched season one with say it's almost as bad as the second season of True Detective. Please thread, tell me this isn't true and they were just messing with me/idiots.

My read on it is that people who prefer their television dumbed down haven't enjoyed it.

It's a darker tone and the pacing is slower but the show is absolutely consistent in quality to the first season.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Max posted:

They're idiots.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I was a little disappointed with Season 2 at first. I had just burned through Season 1 and going from the intensity of 5/9 to its aftermath was a bummer. I will say that it's 110% worth it, though. This show has twists but isn't lazy enough to rely on them to keep your interest. poo poo is happening.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

nah, its pretty good

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like, True Detective Season 2 was garbage from the get go and only got worse from there. This season has been a little slow to start but even the end of the premiere got things going pretty quickly. It's still good.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is it True Detective that has some ridiculous paranormal reveal? Or am I thinking of some other show?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think the concept of trust as a viewer is pretty interesting. We've been wary from the jump about Elliott's situation, and now he's finally trusting us. At the same time, with the way the season has played out it also seems to be the point where people are trusting Sam Esmail to deliver a good show again.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zurui posted:

Is it True Detective that has some ridiculous paranormal reveal? Or am I thinking of some other show?

I haven't watched season 2, but season 1 played around with certain elements but in the end there was absolutely nothing supernatural going on.

And while I can't make the comparison between season 1 and season 2 here, I have very much enjoyed Robot's second season and it'll probably be better when binge-watching it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zurui posted:

Are you thinking of Fargo?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

PS, you guys should be watching Fargo

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rewatching, it's really interesting how it all makes so much sense from the start. I haven't seen anyone interact with Mr. Robot. Darlene's interactions with Elliot make perfect sense as a sibling that knows where he lives, etc.

It's like... How did I not see this coming a million miles away.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Solice Kirsk posted:

For some reason a lot of people think it has got worse, those people are people you shouldn't listen to though.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mr. Powers posted:

Rewatching, it's really interesting how it all makes so much sense from the start. I haven't seen anyone interact with Mr. Robot. Darlene's interactions with Elliot make perfect sense as a sibling that knows where he lives, etc.

It's like... How did I not see this coming a million miles away.

Yeah. Darlene's barging in and casual familiarity with Eliot is almost off-putting on your first run-through. Who is this bitch and why is she so up in Eliot's poo poo?

One of the strengths of this show is that it uses the twist but it doesn't rely on it to tell an interesting story.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Max posted:

They're idiots.

CloFan posted:

PS, you guys should be watching Fargo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Calling it now, that dropped VHS tape is going to come back on them.

• Locked thread