Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't read Games at the time but thay sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't read Games at the time but thay sounds amazing.

Please don't ban me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can someone link the DNF thread already? I'm not finding it in my searches.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Can someone link the DNF thread already? I'm not finding it in my searches.

it got nuked. no trace of it left on the forums. completely and utterly vanished.

that was the extent of the shame that thread brought

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Used to be, these days it's not. Although you'll get made fun of so hard it might as well be.

the one thing in my pms to you that I didn't ask, except for maybe 1 or 2 things I'm still kinda curious about I'll ask later

Palpek posted:

The DNF thread might have been the biggest collective meltdown in the subforum's history. It's worth reading just for the pages when the game released and people started realizing how bad this poo poo is and the tone changing from epic brofist 24/7 through all stages of grief after pre-ordering the $100 Balls of Steel Edition.
I remember me and one other poster calling the game bad and asking axemaniac to not give us the duke's bros gangtag and the collective response of multiple people posting "how could you not want a duke's bros tag?!" being a slow burn I'd have to sit on before it'd pay off when everyone would realize how bad the game is and they'd be stuck with the tags. duke's bros changing to the serious sam tag was really good. I'd pay for that thread to get turned into a book

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wayback machine archived some of it . Here are some bits:

The mod's disclaimer in the OP:

Axemaniac posted:

So talk about Duke, talk about the game, but don't bother trolling people who like the game and Duke's Bros show some balls of steel and don't let people goad you into things, every one has different opinions and this game isn't for everyone, respect that.
First page:

Commie Eggman posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
There were like pages and pages of this:

KungfooMF posted:

The DNF demo made me want to play it more. When I saw holoduke my head exploded. I think this game is going to surprisingly good. It sure as gently caress isn't going to be Daikatana.

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Yes it does look a bit dated, yes it might play a little clunky and yes i have waited literally half of my life for this game to be released, but none of these things are going to deter me from having a good time. Under the slightly tarnished surface is a lot of love. It may be a bit dated in all respects, but this is Duke Nukem, if you remember back when Duke 3D was released, around all the excitement of Quake, it was considered dated visually and gameplay-wise, but it was fun, had a different kind of depth to it and it had a personality. All of those things i can see in this game.

Always bet on Duke.
Trying to deal with haters:

UR1S posted:

I don't get the haters, man. I guess they're going to hate, but how can they when this game shoves a mighty boot(*) full of fuckawesome up their asses? Some people are just so caught up in themselves they can't have a little, harmless FUN every once in a while. Ummm, hello, not every game is Dwarf Fortress, neckbeards :rolleyes:

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Requesting that anyone who doubts their bets on Duke has their Duke's Bros tags removed.

7thBatallion posted:

This thread is utter tripe with posters complaining for the sake of complaining. gently caress all of you, save for Funkmaster, VarXX and a few other bros. I'm out.

A mod later in the thread:

Axemaniac posted:

gently caress YEAH! I'm screaming this poo poo 24/7 in the gym, gently caress you all that hate this game, this game is the best.

Eat my poo poo, go to hell all you haters. 15 years of my life is nothing compared to 15 years of your loving hate filled life of nothing but masturbating to anime trannies. gently caress you all, YCS really did suck and you all are left sucking a giant dick and the cum is your lovely posts and you gobble like the homos you are.
So in the end you had an absolute clusterfuck of fights between people disgusted with the game and Duke's Bros defending every single thing in it. It would never stop.

Sadly the final hours of the thread that could be described as the plot of "Downfall" are difficult to get to as Wayback is pretty spotty. Clicking on question marks under people's names seems to bring up some later pages, if anybody cares you can find some stuff this way.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Axemaniac was also a literal psychopath who had drawn pages of fanart of his cartoon avatar/wish fulfillment self doing bathrooms on restrained women

so, that happened

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So that's where he disappeared to.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Anyone have he quotes where some kind of god is making the world and keeps making / saying creepy things, like making armpits weird hairy things for no reason

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Axemaniac was also a literal psychopath who had drawn pages of fanart of his cartoon avatar/wish fulfillment self doing bathrooms on restrained women

so, that happened

Oh yeah I forgot about that. What is it with mods here?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mind the walrus posted:

They're mods.

On Somethingawful.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mind the walrus posted:

RedShirt was perfectly fine as a mod

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

the one thing in my pms to you that I didn't ask, except for maybe 1 or 2 things I'm still kinda curious about I'll ask later

I remember me and one other poster calling the game bad and asking axemaniac to not give us the duke's bros gangtag and the collective response of multiple people posting "how could you not want a duke's bros tag?!" being a slow burn I'd have to sit on before it'd pay off when everyone would realize how bad the game is and they'd be stuck with the tags. duke's bros changing to the serious sam tag was really good. I'd pay for that thread to get turned into a book

God bless

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mind the walrus posted:

People who volunteer to moderate the Something Awful rarely do so over a surplus of mental health.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

freeedr posted:

Anyone have he quotes where some kind of god is making the world and keeps making / saying creepy things, like making armpits weird hairy things for no reason

I feel like it was all posted in this thread but I can't find it. Is there any way to search within quotes in a post? Anyways heres the whole thing

quote:

god making the earth: i like it really gross. thats what im into now

perfect angel: hey god. what are you doing in here

god: uhhhhhh

god: nothing

quote:

god: look at this. i made this, this planet, this Earth, it's magnificent. beautiful. perfect. ...too perfect.

*god's eye searches frantically and settles upon a slug resting next to two round rocks*

god: omg yesssss, yeah boy. boy....

quote:

god: dude check this out *holds lamprey up to angel's face*

angel: oh god gently caress what is that thing? eww

god: yeah it's pretty gnarly eh *holds it up to angel's face again*

angel: ah gross, stop

god: *pauses for a second then does it again, snickering quietly*

angel: stop. please

quote:

god: ok, four arms is enough, i'll call it a quadropus.

*reaches over to put tool away and knocks over arm container*

god: ugh goddamnit

quote:

god: this is fun and all, but how can i make it grosser

quote:

Angel: God, everyone loves your dinosaurs! the Triassic, the Jurassic! And then you managed to top even that with the Cretaceous! you knocked it out of the park! Everyone can hardly wait to see what you're going to do next!

God: man, I don't want to be known for just dinosaurs. I'm so much more than that. I've been working on something new, trying to take things in a new direction. check this out

*shows sketches of gross little warm-bodied things covered in fur*

Angel: er...

quote:

angel: hey we've been working on the design for the first human i got all the sketches and blueprints and stuff and tzazomatiel next door has a clay sculpture as a model if you want to go take a look

god [drawing with crayons]: its ok guys i got this

quote:

angel: my arms are perfect. they come to the shoulder but dont stop there

god: (thats it)

angel: i flex my arms and its like flexing all of my muscles. muscles that could destroy the angel bank or the angel theater--

god: (ill make a gross little pit where the arms stop. i love it)

angel: --but i would Never do that.

god: (this is gonna be awesome)

angel: my arms go on forever

quote:

lucifer, light bearer, the morningstar: so, bottom half of the body... the hands worked out real good, im thinking we just do them again

god: actually i had an idea about this, what came to me is, what about a weird, junked up hand instead. it is all scrunched up and painful and it smells bad and the fingers dont do poo poo.

lucifer: (holding head in hands with shoulders extremely tense)

quote:

angel: wow that's really good. really really good. it's perfect

god: i'm just going to-

angel: don't

god: make this thing-

angel: no it's good the way it is

god: there haha awesome

angel: i guess every artist really does go through a dick phase

quote:

god: ok you know how we have this perfected human form, all one contiguous thing, whole and perfect, animated by its own will alone

angel [cautiously]: yeah

god: well what if we did a whole...inside part, full of incredibly weird polyps that need a slurry of mashed up stuff to work, and they're all pink and purple and glisteny and constantly leaking fluids

angel: oh no

god: but get this...the human needs the fluids

angel: please stop

quote:

god: hair. i'm going to put hair on everything. armpits, monkeys, kiwis, japanese ghosts, everything. hair.

quote:

God: ...so I figured they can just absorb the essence of other life forms for sustenance like we do!

Angel: Ok, but...they're not astral beings, Lord, I don't see how they're going to partake of the luminous---

God: *points to hole in the front of the face*

Angel: Okaaaaayyyy?

God: They shove dead things right into this hole and instead of the Manipura chakra from whence flows our life energy, they got this squishy sack full of acid that melts stuff and turns it to slime then absorbs it with polyps.

Angel: Jesus Christ.

quote:

god: lets have them just shoot goo into a hole that is also filled with goo.

angel: that's...that's awkward.

god: yeah and i'm going to make them want to do it like...all the time lol

quote:

God: *studies Mars with a puzzled look on His face, stroking his beard*

God: Mars... Mars.... hmmmmmm... Oh! I got it! I'll put water on it after all but make it super salty! Lol no ones going to want to drink that! :p

quote:

god [excited]: i made this!

angel: gross what is it

god: i call it poop. now check this out

angel: ugh that's horrible what is it

god: i call it a fart. it's like poop, but invisible. farts are like angels for poops

quote:

god: and guess what else

angel: ...................

god: *biting bottom lip, arching eyebrows expectantly*

angel: ............... what

god: you can set'em on FIRE

quote:

god: hey lucy check this out its a dung beetle! it eats poo poo!

lucifer: better to reign in hell than deal with this

quote:

god: and if some of them like dookie stuff, whatever... don't tell me you've never wanted to experiment...

angel: but father, we don't even have dookie up here.

god: *blank stare, eyes wide, pointing at earth*

quote:

God: drat, volcanos are awesome. i really knocked it out of the park with that one.

gabriel: truly, Lord. i am in awe of their beauty and power.

God [not listening]: yeah yeah... flesh volcanos. my gift to man.

gabriel: w.. what? Lord, they're too b-

God: yeah. yeah! HELL YES! we doing this. gotta break out the good clay for this. i call them...zits

gabriel: you made us with an ever lasting love for you, bereft of free will, but somehow i've come to hate you

quote:

God: So I was looking at eyeballs and I thought, 'Isn't it weird that nothing eats people's eyeballs?' So I started some sketches, and, turns out there's a lot of great designs for that. Like tons. *picks up magical heaven manilla folder, spills thousands of designs on desk*

Angel: *stares blankly at them*

God: Yeah, I thought of all kinds of things like this. Like this guy eats eyeballs, he's a type of tiny worm. This guy coils up under people's skin, it causes crazy itching! It's great. This one creates lifelong debilitating fatigue, and is carried by an almost unnoticeable little insect that bites people constantly and drinks their blood. It's really something. There's no cure or anything either. People just stay sick forever LOL

Angel: What's the point of this though?? Why are you...

God: These guys burrow tunnels through human hearts as a part of their life cycle. This one will completely clog their intestines if they reproduce, to the point of both the human and all the nematodes dying. These little suckers just gestate inside a little pouch of skin, before worming their way out as they mature. This an amoeba that replicates like CRAZY inside a human brain. And this dude? Seriously, its this fish that just specifically jumps in the urethras of animals that get near it. And it's barbed -- almost impossible to get out of there without mega-trauma. Isn't that crazy awesome??

quote:

god: *makes elves and wizards*

god: eugh no

god: *replaces them with people obsessed with elves and wizards*

god: ugh, i'll fix this later

quote:

God: Hey Abraham go kill your kid in my name.

Abraham: OK, here I go *goes to stab kid*

God: NO WAIT STOP I just wanted to see if you'd do it! Sacrificing kids is wrong and you are no longer required to do it cuz I'm a super kind and loving god and it's an abomination.

Abraham: Wait then why did you ask me to do it in the first place?

God: I literally just wanted to see if you would kill your kid if I told you to. I want you to be so devoted to me that you'd kill your own son for me. But also killing your own son is SUPER horribly wrong and you should never do it ever.

Abraham: Except when you tell me to?

God: Yes. If I say so, you should totally do it. But I won't ever tell you to again. But like, if I DO, you should. But don't do it otherwise because it's a horrible sin. It's so horrible that if I tell you to do it, there's always the chance that I'm testing you to see if you'll do something horrible and if you do it I may get mad. At this point your only hope is to try and figure out what kind of mood I'm in that day.

Abraham: Huh.

God: Also, if your dad passes out drunk and naked in his tent and you look in there to check on him and see him naked accidentally, and then get embarrassed and put his coat on your back and back up to him to throw the coat over him so you won't see him naked again, I will loving make you go blind. For seeing your dad naked accidentally.

Abraham: Huh.

God: Yeah, I am crazy as gently caress.

quote:

priest: god hates it in the rear end. dont even think about it

god: um yep. oh yeah haha

priest: seriously, youre going to hell if you use your rear end

god: hahahaha

quote:

god [in workshop]: almost done with this hitler guy heh heh *tokes on a big j and passes it to an angel*

angel: i totally had this wicked twisted idea like...haha no you couldn't

god: loving tell me jfc dude

angel: what if you, like, made this guy really lovely so he hates and kills those chosen people you have a promise to protect? that'd be hilarious.

god: oh holy poo poo haha yeah

quote:

god: *helps a boxer punch harder*

god: heck ya!

god: *gazes lovingly down at a trash dump*

god: drat i'm good

god: *guides football into goal*

god: hoo boy you know it!

god: *creates windshield reflector that looks like sunglasses to prevent car from heating up in the sun*

god: i am the loving man

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wait, all that "ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!" stuff wasnt ironic?

oh, oh dear

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

wait, all that "ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!" stuff wasnt ironic?

oh, oh dear

blah blah blah "never start a community where being an idiot ironically is the point because eventually it will be filled with actual idiots who think they've found their home."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mind the walrus posted:

blah blah blah "never start a community where being an idiot ironically is the point because eventually it will be filled with actual idiots who think they've found their home."

Nah, that can work perfectly fine, you just need to be proactive in getting rid of the actual idiots. That ain't happening if those guys are the ones running the show, tho. :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Palpek posted:

Daikatana

Its amazing that everytime someone compares a game to Daikatana in a "this game will never be like that" it often is and even worst.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I remember the dnf thread also featured Microwave, son of Microwave's mom, being ganged up on and mocked about his hot mother because he was the only person prior to release really insisting that it would be poo poo. I recall a heavily quoted photoshop of duke cupping his mom's breasts and I'm not certain but I think he might have said something like "I don't know why you think my mom's hotness invalidates my argument".

Moon Atari has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Aug 23, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PBS Newshour posted:

Its amazing that everytime someone compares a game to Daikatana in a "this game will never be like that" it often is and even worst.

Eh have you actually played Daikatana?

There's been this weird trend in the Early FPS thread in Games of people trying Daikatana out of morbid curiosity. It actually got an official patch relatively recently with some QOL stuff.

People consistently discover that, yeah, the game is actually that bad. It is a bad game in every atom of its conception. It's not quirky bad, it's not cute bad, it's not so bad it's good. It's just really, really bad.

DNF is bad too, but it's just a combination of generically bad and monumentally disappointing. Divorced from the hype, it's cheap and forgettable. Daikatana transcends that.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TwoStepBoog posted:

whenever i get the urge to murder, i just get really drunk and remember the person i'm really mad at is myself

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Even if the game was good I can't help but feel that the kind of person who would get so hyped up for it is just a massive tool

which, I mean, I guess is accurate.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely remember Axemaniac hiring a Duke Nukem impersonator to sit next to him while he played DNF but I can't find the picture anywhere.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I vaguely remember Axemaniac hiring a Duke Nukem impersonator to sit next to him while he played DNF but I can't find the picture anywhere.
It was a Steam Shots episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RyokoTK posted:

There's been this weird trend in the Early FPS thread in Games of people trying Daikatana out of morbid curiosity. It actually got an official patch relatively recently with some QOL stuff.

People consistently discover that, yeah, the game is actually that bad. It is a bad game in every atom of its conception. It's not quirky bad, it's not cute bad, it's not so bad it's good. It's just really, really bad.

DNF is bad too, but it's just a combination of generically bad and monumentally disappointing. Divorced from the hype, it's cheap and forgettable. Daikatana transcends that.
The Daikatana Let's Play is one of two that I've watched all the way through (the other being Sonic '06). That game is unbelievable.

Wait, since when is an FPS from 2000 "early"?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Depending on who you ask, the cut-off for early FPS (as far as that thread is concerned) is usually somewhere between Halo and Half-Life 2. But we'll pretty happily talk about FPS games that resemble older FPS games, like Bioshock or DO4M.

Also, Daikatana was headed up by John Romero, so the direct connection to classic Doom makes it a good topic for the thread anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Daikatana Let's Play is one of two that I've watched all the way through (the other being Sonic '06). That game is unbelievable.

Wait, since when is an FPS from 2000 "early"?

Development was supposed to complete in 1997 and the finished game is based on idtech 2, which is winter 97/98. Notwithstanding the fact that it bloated into a whole new millennium, it's an early FPS, probably the nail in the coffin of the early FPS.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

Development was supposed to complete in 1997 and the finished game is based on idtech 2, which is winter 97/98. Notwithstanding the fact that it bloated into a whole new millennium, it's an early FPS, probably the nail in the coffin of the early FPS.

Daikatana didn't put the nail in the coffin for early FPS at all. If anything it was probably the fact that the sequels to Unreal and Quake 2 were multiplayer only. Meanwhile single-player experiences of the day were either becoming more prevalent on consoles (Goldeneye, Halo) or more focused on narrative (Half-Life) or more "realistic" (Call of Duty). Normies didn't give two shits about Daikatana anyway.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Palpek posted:

DNF Meltdown posts
When the whole meltdown happened, everyday I would always check that thread during my lurking days to see what happens. The gift just kept on giving :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The fact that it's been purged from the forums is a loving travesty and someone should apologize to me personally.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RyokoTK posted:

Depending on who you ask, the cut-off for early FPS (as far as that thread is concerned) is usually somewhere between Halo and Half-Life 2. But we'll pretty happily talk about FPS games that resemble older FPS games, like Bioshock or DO4M.
Huh. I was thinking of "early FPS" as Doomy stuff with raycasting and sprites, maybe something like Quake at the latest.

RyokoTK posted:

Also, Daikatana was headed up by John Romero, so the direct connection to classic Doom makes it a good topic for the thread anyway.
Yeah, that's a fair point regardless.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Aug 24, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Daikatana looks pretty loving ugly so it can go live with Quake if it likes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Huh. I was thinking of "early FPS" as Doomy stuff with raycasting and sprites, maybe something like Quake at the latest.

Well "early" is definitely a changing definition.

Half-Life 2 came out halfway between Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 4.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Moon Atari posted:

Microwave, son of Microwave's mom

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moon Atari posted:

I remember the dnf thread also featured Microwave, son of Microwave's mom, being ganged up on and mocked about his hot mother because he was the only person prior to release really insisting that it would be poo poo. I recall a heavily quoted photoshop of duke cupping his mom's breasts and I'm not certain but I think he might have said something like "I don't know why you think my mom's hotness invalidates my argument".

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
I was trying to find the origins of Microwave's mom in the SAclopedia, and it linked me to what I am pretty sure is the original DNF thread that nobody is able to find right now. It ends on page 469 despite listing a non-existent page 470. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131879&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RyokoTK posted:

DNF isn't so much outright bad (although yes, it is a pretty big clunker) as it's just the unfortunate result of over a decade's development slapped together like a horrific collage made by a small child from the bits and pieces of who-knows-how-many different iterations the game went through over the years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
DNF just isn't funny at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha yes it is :haw: