Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Today marks the first ending of Gonbe's story, and us meeting the famous King Enma!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gonbe's Tale vol1: The benefits of collective bargaining.
Gonbe's Tale vol2: Gonbe Unionizes Hell.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The customer is always right.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Gonbe an Otoe have a happy, functioning marriage and it's goddamned beautiful.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
:allears: I can't put how charming this story was into words.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Otae is so cute! I bet their baby is super cute. What a great ending.

I'm actually a little miffed that I'm missing out on all this Vanillaware as a Nintendo gamer. You'd think they would have released Dragons Crown for the WiiU, what with the gamepad touchscreen/cursor gameplay synergy. I would've absolutely bought this DLC.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FAT BATMAN posted:

I'm actually a little miffed that I'm missing out on all this Vanillaware as a Nintendo gamer. You'd think they would have released Dragons Crown for the WiiU, what with the gamepad touchscreen/cursor gameplay synergy. I would've absolutely bought this DLC.

Yeah, sadly Vanillaware is mainly dependent on Atlus for funding, and Atlus & Sony are joined at the hip. The only reason Muramasa was put on the Wii was because they had started development on it immediately after Odin Sphere and got funding from Marvelous Entertainment for it at the time while Atlus was still selling Odin Sphere and Persona 3.

If you look back on their history, Vanillaware hasn't exactly worked with Nintendo at all. Princess Crown was Sega and Grim Grimoire/Odin Sphere/Grand Knight Historia/Dragons Crown were all on Sony devices. The worst part is that at one point, George Kamitani teased at trying to get his games on steam and now *everyone* is holding out hope for PC ports after what 3 years at this point?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Well you never know, Monster Hunter's main series games were Playstation exclusive too until Tri before Capcom had a falling-out wth Sony over the localization of Portable Third at which point the main series moved to the 3DS (though 3U had a Wii U version because they weren't sure how to do online multiplayer on the 3DS something that got fixed for 4U and Generations).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gonbe's first ending is one of the best in the game (after Rajyaki's first ending and tied with Rajyaki's second one).

Gonbe aw-shucks-ing his way into almost unionizing Hell is the greatest thing :allears:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
At least the Buddhist Hell, or "Naraka" as it's more properly known, is not an eternal punishment. Being born into a Naraka is a direct result of accumulated actions (karma) and the sinner resides there for a finite period of time until that karma has achieved its full result at which point they'll be reborn in one of the higher worlds as the result of karma that had not yet ripened. This process does usually take a long time though. There are also multiple Narakas, comparable to the multiple rings of Hell described in the Inferno by Dante.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Oy! We was promised a proper punishment and you ain't even boiling the water hot enough to strip my wife to the bone!"

Gonbe really is the hero we all deserve. Even if we're demons.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2016

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
It still blows my mind that somebody at Vanillaware and/or Atlus was fond enough of Ikki to devote an entire DLC to retelling its story (with infinitely better gameplay, thankfully.) Here's the English Wiki page for the game, if anyone's interested in learning more.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yo Highwang, I don't know if you're still interested, but I just watched up to episode 5 and noticed you still have your newbie avatar so

(Unfortunately the smoke and fire make it hard to get a good, smooth gif within the weight limit, so these are all varying compromises of cropping and reduced number of frames and/or colours. I fully understand if you think everything looks too shite to use :v:)

Anyway, fun lp so far! Very nice looking game, though much like Odin Sphere I have a feeling I'd get bored fighting the same enemies over and over...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm no gifmaster and I absolutely can see what you meant with the smoke a fire being trouble, but I think it needs the rest of the fishwiggle to really get the best of the animation.

Either that or a clip from his Darkest Dungeon LP.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

I wish I had enough of a stable life to justify spending $5 on a .gif. Cause this'd be it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Highwang posted:

I wish I had enough of a stable life to justify spending $5 on a .gif. Cause this'd be it.

You don't have PMs. You do have a steam account though. ;)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Teledahn posted:

I'm no gifmaster and I absolutely can see what you meant with the smoke a fire being trouble, but I think it needs the rest of the fishwiggle to really get the best of the animation.

It can be done, but not without issues. And the face gets really small.

Anyway, here's a version of the first one with a border since I know some people prefer those. For some reason it's actually smaller than the borderless version despite having no other changes... I don't understand technology sometimes.

edit: sliiightly better quality? Maybe?

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Pfft, I don't know who the generous soul is but thanks for the new avatar and Teledahn for the title!

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Highwang posted:

Pfft, I don't know who the generous soul is but thanks for the new avatar and Teledahn for the title!

I guess my original title idea was too highbrow for the internet :colbert:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

New update. MEGA SAD.

Arashimaru this weekend hopefully. Audio editing looms over my head like a loving ICBM.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hey, at least we know Sayo's doing all right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sayo looked older, so I guess this takes place some time after Kisuke's confrontation with the Shogun, what with it being a new age and all? With all the alternate endings, I'm unclear on if we really for sure killed the king when he tried to summon the dog of hell.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lotish posted:

Sayo looked older, so I guess this takes place some time after Kisuke's confrontation with the Shogun, what with it being a new age and all? With all the alternate endings, I'm unclear on if we really for sure killed the king when he tried to summon the dog of hell.

All of Kisuke's endings fork off post-regicide, so it's a sure thing that the evil shogun's dead and the Kuzuryuu is in Kisuke's possession. The only real difference is if Kisuke was reborn, playing Batman, or in the united states.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well that was sad, but oddly appropriate given the situation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I would like a Sayo game. Or maybe if they make another Muramasa, we can get more Sayo cameos at least. It'd be cool to track her career through her changes in outfit. She used to have a box with birds, now she's got that black number but no box. Imagine what Granny Sayo might look like.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lotish posted:

Edo-period era names weren't particularly related to shoguns' reigns the way modern ones are tied to emperors, but Kyoho 7 corresponds to about 1722 CE, which is still 13 years after the real Tsunayoshi Tokugawa died.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 17, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Technically speaking, the reason Sayo's outfit is similar to a tengu's is because tengu, particularly daitengu, dress as monks. I'm not 100% sure why that is but I do know the tengu do torment monks.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Chimera-gui posted:

Technically speaking, the reason Sayo's outfit is similar to a tengu's is because tengu, particularly daitengu, dress as monks. I'm not 100% sure why that is but I do know the tengu do torment monks.

One version of tengu lore I heard is that tengu are the spirits of lovely monks or something along those lines (although it's been a while so I'm probably misremembering a bit). That could be it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

toddy now joins us as we enjoy the adventures of the most apathetic ninja that pissed off a god.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Classic Ninja story right there.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While likely not related I'm sure, Shirohebi does bring to mind a yokai called the Nure Onna. There are two variations of nure onna: one without arms, which resembles an enormous sea serpent with a woman’s head as shown here:

And one with human-like arms though the two varieties act in exactly the same manner. They most often appear on the coast near the water or by a riverbank, magically disguised as a distressed woman carrying a bundled up baby. If one approachs her and offers to hold the baby for her, she’ll be nice to them, but if they plan to do anything else with the baby, the baby will become something very heavy, that won’t let them escape. The Nure onna is then free to attack her helpless victim, feeding by draining their blood with her long, serpentine tongue.

It should be noted that white snakes are considered to be good luck in Japan.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Oh yeah I forgot to make mention: Don't post any history trivia directly involving Arashimaru's DLC in the thread until the alternate ending. They are actually direct spoilers.

Yours is fine for now Chimera-Gui, but there are some that would just blow things out of the water.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I was saving the segment I have planned for the alternate ending anyway since it's related to the spoiler.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 21, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Arashimaru is too much for me. I can't handle this much edge. "My name means 'Storm', and also I look like a storm cloud. Storm."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I just stumbled into a silly show called Thunderbolt Fantasy where the names are even more crazy. "Kills Everyonedies" and "Heavencorpse Scorn" to name a pair. More crazy edge names, please.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Welcome to my personal hell. But hey, at least we get to see the splendor that is Aduraba Kaburata

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hmm, I guess we're getting heavily into the mythological allusions here?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
.... Oh OH! I think I know where this is leading. Your warring about spoilers suddenly makes a lot of sense.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

"The Iga clan sure knows their poo poo." I did a double take at that line. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

cokerpilot posted:

.... Oh OH! I think I know where this is leading. Your warning about spoilers suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Yeah there's a reason I'm saving the big lecture for this DLC until the alternate ending.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 28, 2016

• Locked thread