Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, thanks. I thought it might be on the forum end. I mean after a restart I can browse a while before it happens. I just hadn't been using my laptop enough to trigger it yet, I suppose.

e: disabling IPv6 in my network adapter fixed it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any way I can remotely trigger my PC in the other room (awake, but locked) to unlock itself from my laptop so that I can use steam home streaming?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Is there any way I can remotely trigger my PC in the other room (awake, but locked) to unlock itself from my laptop so that I can use steam home streaming?

You can Chrome Remote Desktop into it and unlock it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So Microsoft broke compressed webcam support in the AE: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

TL;DR: Many cameras use h.264 to push 1080p video through USB2, but the new frame server which is supposed to let multiple apps share the camera only supports uncompressed video. Oops.

eames
May 9, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

So Microsoft broke compressed webcam support in the AE: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

TL;DR: Many cameras use h.264 to push 1080p video through USB2, but the new frame server which is supposed to let multiple apps share the camera only supports uncompressed video. Oops.

How does a showstopper like this make it through QA into a mandatory update? :psyduck:

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

eames posted:

How does a showstopper like this make it through QA into a mandatory update? :psyduck:

What is this QA thing you speak of?

I assume you are talking about the insider program?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Beta tested in the future. Microsoft fired their QA a long time ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I liked the idea of the webcams that do the H.264 compression in hardware rather than hammering your CPU to achieve the same video quality. I guess with a move to USB 3.0 to move the data over, and an improvement in CPU performance it's not as necessary any more.

I'm really not sure how Microsoft missed this - they purposely rewrote something, left out support for a particular class of device, then were surprised when it caused a problem. Surely this was the expected outcome of the change?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I'm also not convinced I want multiple devices able to access the camera at once. Seems like that would make it simpler/less detectable to slip literal spyware onto the computer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Jeez, that's the most popular webcam in the world they managed to break. I used it for our weekly meetings at work, good thing the AE mysteriously stopped rolling out after a few hours on the first day they released it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Besides making a list of all my programs and backing up anything on my OS drive, what do I need to do to prepare for a complete refresh of Windows these days?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Besides making a list of all my programs and backing up anything on my OS drive, what do I need to do to prepare for a complete refresh of Windows these days?

Nothing, but why do you want to do it in the first place? Just uninstall stuff you don't want instead of spending hours reinstalling things you do want and setting up all your preferences again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You've responded to one of my questions about problems I'm having. I even made a HoTS thread about the unavailable drive thing. Since these problems are with Windows itself and apparently no one knows how to fix them, I figure that's the next (annoying) step.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

hooah posted:

I just use file history (and have it back up to my Apple Time Machine) and it works pretty well for pulling all my documents back off. It's pretty quick and painless to set up and use if you have an external hard drive.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I have some weird issue after the SP1 anniversary update where my windows install doesn't shut down completely, preventing me from accessing it in Ubuntu. I have hybrid sleep/fast boot disabled in the power menu and the registry flag indicates that it's off.

Edit: I mounted it anyways. Problem solved.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 21, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GI_Clutch posted:

[*]It uninstalled IIS from my machine. I go to Programs and Features to reinstall it. It tells me I need to download files from Windows update to install IIS. WTF? OK, I hit the button to do so. It throws an error message that it can't download updates. Great. I guess I'll just not work on my project today.
[/list]

It also uninstalled the VPN software my company uses to work remotely. :toot:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It also uninstalled the VPN software my company uses to work remotely. :toot:

Cisco, by any chance? AnyConnect seems to be really bad with handling Windows upgrades.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Sometimes I start typing on my SP3 and Win10 will pop up a toast saying 'screenshot saved' and clicking the toast will bring me to the screenshot of my currently open windows. I'm not attempting to take a screenshot, and I haven't hit any modifier keys that might lead me to suspect I'm hitting a shortcut (ctrl, alt, win, etc.). It's happened three or four times now and I'm typing too fast to figure out which keys correlate to the screenshot being triggered, but I know that I never had this happen on Win8. Anyone knows what gives? Using a stock Type Cover if that matters, the touchpad is automatically disabled because a mouse is connected.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I know that if you hit print screen it will save a screenshot. You're not accidentally hitting that key? Maybe the take screenshot option in the Xbox app might have something to do with it as well.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
In explorer there are convenient buttons on the bottom right for switching between thumbnail and detail view. Unfortunately the thumbnail button switches only to large thumbnails, which are not very useful to me on my giant screen.

Is there any way to change the behavior of this button so it switches to extra-large sized thumbnails instead?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dpbjinc posted:

Cisco, by any chance? AnyConnect seems to be really bad with handling Windows upgrades.

Yeppp.

The same day, our IT dept. removed the download from the company site. One of my teammates called them asking how we're supposed to connect remotely. The tier 1 guy said "get a company laptop." :downs:

This isn't really relevant to the thread, I just had to share my triumph: I'd been running VPN and RDP from a VM running Windows 7 to keep my entire internet connection from being funneled through the slow-rear end VPN.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeppp.

The same day, our IT dept. removed the download from the company site. One of my teammates called them asking how we're supposed to connect remotely. The tier 1 guy said "get a company laptop." :downs:

This isn't really relevant to the thread, I just had to share my triumph: I'd been running VPN and RDP from a VM running Windows 7 to keep my entire internet connection from being funneled through the slow-rear end VPN.

Sounds like something specific to your work? My AnyConnect is still there and still works.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I think Cisco actually charges for your work to update the clients. Hence why they have so much trouble with Windows updates.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flagrama posted:

I know that if you hit print screen it will save a screenshot. You're not accidentally hitting that key? Maybe the take screenshot option in the Xbox app might have something to do with it as well.

I can't be accidentally hitting the key because this keyboard doesn't have a Print Screen button. :downs:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dpbjinc posted:

I think Cisco actually charges for your work to update the clients. Hence why they have so much trouble with Windows updates.
[/

[quote="dpbjinc" post="463422805"]

AnyConnect v3 worked fine on Windows 7 and mostly with 10 but it wasn't supported. AnyConnect v4 requires new licensing which of course is more costly. V3 is end of life pretty soon. If you go from like 3.0 to 3.1 that's no charge.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

isndl posted:

I can't be accidentally hitting the key because this keyboard doesn't have a Print Screen button. :downs:

Then I would guess it's some special hotkey for surface pros. A search says one is fn-win-spacebar. Maybe you're hitting that?

isndl
May 2, 2012

phosdex posted:

Then I would guess it's some special hotkey for surface pros. A search says one is fn-win-spacebar. Maybe you're hitting that?

Tried it, seems to be something different as that shortcut dims the screen for a second instead of popping up a toast notification. :shrug:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
are you double clicking your eraserbutton on the surface pen?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Twibbit posted:

are you double clicking your eraserbutton on the surface pen?

Definitely not, the pen is sitting off to the side since I'm using my SP3 as a temporary desktop replacement. In any case, double-clicking the pen button dims the screen for the screenshot and then opens OneNote, without the toast notification that these random screenshots have.

e: One clue might be these random screenshots being saved to OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots while regular screenshots go to Users\Pictures\Screenshots?

e2: Apparently the app Microsoft uses to sync OneDrive has a feature to automatically push screenshots to your OneDrive folder, but that feature keys off the PrintScreen button which I don't have. :confused:

isndl fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 22, 2016

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

isndl posted:

e: One clue might be these random screenshots being saved to OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots while regular screenshots go to Users\Pictures\Screenshots?

e2: Apparently the app Microsoft uses to sync OneDrive has a feature to automatically push screenshots to your OneDrive folder, but that feature keys off the PrintScreen button which I don't have. :confused:

That function seems to be behind Fn+Space on Surface Pros.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows + volume down?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Saukkis posted:

That function seems to be behind Fn+Space on Surface Pros.

Cool, this looks like exactly the effect. Still don't know what's triggering it since it's near impossible to be fat-fingering it (I've typed entire phrases or sentences before the screenshot hits as is evidenced by the screenshots themselves, at least half the time I'm pretty sure my next keypress is going to be Enter), but now I know what to try and look for next time it happens. Thanks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Alright, so it turns out if I'm typing fast enough, I can trigger the screenshot by hitting N + S + Spacebar in succession. For example, I hit a screenshot when typing 'turns out' in the previous sentence. :iiam:

e: 'AB ', 'SN ', 'DM ', and 'F, ' all trigger it, but mixing it up for something like 'AN ' or 'SM ' or 'DB ' doesn't. Something to do with the tracing of the keys maybe? :psyduck:

isndl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2016

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

isndl posted:

Something to do with the tracing of the keys maybe? :psyduck:
Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

It's cheaper not to read each key individually but on normal keyboards you don't notice it unless you are :pcgaming: and press really weird key combinations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah I'm aware of n-key rollover, but I haven't run into any modern keyboard that didn't simply drop the key when hitting the rollover. And it was looking like the Type Cover handled rollover pretty well too, if I use the double-Shift test I only lose the X out of the standard alphabet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried swapping the keyboard? It might just be faulty.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Maybe invest in a nice mechanical keyboard. They're expensive, but for typists and some gamers, they're a godsend.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dpbjinc posted:

Maybe invest in a nice mechanical keyboard. They're expensive, but for typists and some gamers, they're a godsend.

For anyone else you live with that has to hear it on the other hand..

isndl
May 2, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you tried swapping the keyboard? It might just be faulty.

Probably the only real solution, but I'm like a year out of warranty and a new Type Cover is pretty steep. I can probably work around the issue by disabling automatic screenshot pushing in OneDrive anyways.

dpbjinc posted:

Find me a mechanical keyboard as portable as the Type Cover for use with a Surface Pro and I'll do it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I asked in the PC building thread about this, but didn't get an answer. Does anybody have any experience with this, or is there any reason to believe this isn't legit? I know Play Asia is where a lot of people import game, and it says it's region free, so I'm not sure why I should pay 4x as much elsewhere:

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem-key-dl/13/709747?ad=111828625688&gclid=COGglvuk2M4CFUYbgQodGiwM6Q