Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Al Michaels' voice needs to be digitized and put into a sound bank so we can have robo Al Michaels for years to come. Along with Vin Scully.

In terms of NFL, there's pretty much Al Michaels and then idk Ian Eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
CBS NFL broadcasting teams for this season.

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/768100725465440256

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I know Al usually doesn't work immediately after the Olympics, but is this the only time Tirico calls a game this year:

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/768101395211886593

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Harlock posted:

Al Michaels' voice needs to be digitized and put into a sound bank so we can have robo Al Michaels for years to come. Along with Vin Scully.

In terms of NFL, there's pretty much Al Michaels and then idk Ian Eagle.

I really like Kevin Harlan but it's possible not everyone is as amused by incoherent yelling.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Chris Simms? lol nepotism.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

davecrazy posted:

Chris Simms? lol nepotism.

if he sat in the booth and said nothing, he'd be an improvement on his dad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

if he sat in the booth and said nothing, he'd be an improvement on his dad

seriously, goddamn. Nantz is the most white bread motherfucker on the planet and even he seems to get tired of Phil from time to time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The "69! That's what he does best" call from last year may well have been peak Simms. He forgets the guys name, which is understandable in a game where there's a lot of substitutions. *BUT* by saying "that's what he does best", he is implying that he's made a mental note that this player makes this play often and makes it well and still can't remember his name and THEN he tops it off by making it into a sexual innuendo without at any point thinking through what he's about to say.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This may be me being stuck with watching poo poo football since 99, but man I wish CBS had never gotten the AFC package.

NBC had a drat good base over there. Criqui, Jones, Enberg, Hammond, Albert, etc. All of those always called a solid game from the clips on youtube I've seen.

CBS? I like Harlan and Eagle calling basketball, but they just seem really out of place calling Football. Nantz is good at golf, and the other guys just seem to flat out dread calling games.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

This may be me being stuck with watching poo poo football since 99, but man I wish CBS had never gotten the AFC package.

NBC had a drat good base over there. Criqui, Jones, Enberg, Hammond, Albert, etc. All of those always called a solid game from the clips on youtube I've seen.

CBS? I like Harlan and Eagle calling basketball, but they just seem really out of place calling Football. Nantz is good at golf, and the other guys just seem to flat out dread calling games.

It's difficult for me to watch Sunday afternoon games on either CBS or Fox because all of the commentary crews (especially the color commentators) are poo poo compared to Tirico/Gruden (yes I actually like Jon Gruden) and Michaels/Collinsworth. I can tolerate poo poo commentary better in other sports like hockey and basketball because there's far less down time which leads to the PBP man doing most of the talking and generally most PBP people do a decent enough job calling the action, but when I have to hear Troy Aikman or Phil Simms "analyze" a play every 30 seconds it grates at me.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 23, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gruden and Collinsworth also sound like they're having fun in the booth and that goes a long drat way.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

Gruden and Collinsworth also sound like they're having fun in the booth and that goes a long drat way.

Absolutely. Gruden is like a kid in a candy shop on air. Sometimes he can get a little silly, but at worst you roll your eyes and laugh at it and normally it just helps the viewer get more excited. Also remember Gruden and MNF in general has had a bunch of really bad games since SNF got first dibs on game of the week and the fact that Gruden can make Jacksonville vs. Tennessee at least mildly entertaining is a feat in itself.

Collinsworth seems a little more traditional than Gruden but he genuinely seems to enjoy the more strategic aspects of football better than most other color commentators and also does a good job of dumbing it down just enough to get through to the casual fan while still making good observations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

It's difficult for me to watch Sunday afternoon games on either CBS or Fox because all of the commentary crews (especially the color commentators) are poo poo compared to Tirico/Gruden (yes I actually like Jon Gruden) and Michaels/Collinsworth. I can tolerate poo poo commentary better in other sports like hockey and basketball because there's far less down time which leads to the PBP man doing most of the talking, but when I have to hear Troy Aikman or Phil Simms "analyze" a play every 30 seconds it grates at me.

Save for the Sunday/Monday night games? I've muted every game the Browns have played in favor of the radio. I will say Kenny Albert has done a few good games for us (the ones that I've listened to), but beyond that it's rather infuriating.

Any other sport it seems to be fine (save for the ABC crew NBA A-team with the exception of this year's finals). Kevin Harlan calling NBA games? A true pleasure to watch. Especially when some crazy poo poo is happening.. He's the heir apparent to Marv "YES!" Albert IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0T6k2k90w

DJExile posted:

I wish Gruden called CFB. He reminds a lot of Dick Vermeil when he used to call College games.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Kenny Albert is basically a utility player. He's not really great at anything, but he can fill in anywhere. Not sure I'd call him good, but he looks good by comparison a lot of times.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I've never had a problem with Albert. He's a pretty solid all around guy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kenny just called the day sessions of track and field during the Olympics for NBCSN. He's probably the one current guy who can call any sport.

In other news, this doesn't sound promising for Cowherd/Whitlock

https://twitter.com/cpress75/status/768215686116179968

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Kenny just called the day sessions of track and field during the Olympics for NBCSN. He's probably the one current guy who can call any sport.

In other news, this doesn't sound promising for Cowherd/Whitlock

https://twitter.com/cpress75/status/768215686116179968

Ouch, what does that put them up against, Around the Horn?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Ouch, what does that put them up against, Around the Horn?
Yep.

This is such a pretentious ad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo66s3fHkRw

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

marioinblack posted:

Kenny Albert is basically a utility player. He's not really great at anything, but he can fill in anywhere. Not sure I'd call him good, but he looks good by comparison a lot of times.

I think Kenny's strength is hockey. Never been a fan of his football call.

I'd also expect Brad Nessler to call NFL games once SEC ball is done, once Uncle Verne's Last Ride is over. I'm surprised Nessler isn't on an NFL team this year, he's better than the last three on the list hands down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harlock posted:

Ian Eagle.

He's pretty generic, but in a good way?

Except for his name, which I refuse to believe is a real person's name.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Yep.

This is such a pretentious ad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo66s3fHkRw

"Sorry the olympics bore me"

NBC's coverage not withstanding (too :911: focused, and tape delayed)? I really enjoy the Olympics. I don't understand how one can call themselves a sports fan and say that sort of thing. You get a ridiculous amount of sports crammed into two weeks.

It's probably the last gasp of the ABC "Wide World of Sports" version of Sports broadcasting that became a thing that even spread to CBS, NBC and ESPN back in the day. But I guess that's what makes a guy like Jim McKay a beloved icon, and Colin Cowherd a hated douche.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Sorry the olympics bore me"

NBC's coverage not withstanding (too :911: focused, and tape delayed)? I really enjoy the Olympics. I don't understand how one can call themselves a sports fan and say that sort of thing. You get a ridiculous amount of sports crammed into two weeks.

It's probably the last gasp of the ABC "Wide World of Sports" version of Sports broadcasting that became a thing that even spread to CBS, NBC and ESPN back in the day. But I guess that's what makes a guy like Jim McKay a beloved icon, and Colin Cowherd a hated douche.

Pro tip, they're both dumbfuck trolls who say poo poo to get people mad.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's probably the last gasp of the ABC "Wide World of Sports" version of Sports broadcasting that became a thing that even spread to CBS, NBC and ESPN back in the day.
Nothing ever came close to ABC's Wide World Of Sports and never will ever again. That show ran the complete gamut of everything from bull riding rodeo, to cliff diving from Acapulco, to Indy 500, to Sugar Ray Leonard bouts, to Chris Schenkel calling King of the Hill Pro Bowling, to Evel Knievel jumping Snake Canyon Gorge or the Caesar's Palace Fountain.

As a side note, I by accident saw Chris Schenkel's final broadcast of the PBA on ABC live. It was just kinda on the tube as typical lazy Saturdays go and I wasn't one to ever park it and ever watch Pro Bowling on teevee but goddamn if I didn't get a little choked up as he did signing off for the final time.

Even Cheech & Chong immortalized him in the song 'Basketball Jones' with the throwaway line "Chris Schenkel... don't say nothin'" as they roll down the roster of people that would praise Basketball Jones. I guess Schenkel didn't call basketball very good?

Anyways, the point is there will never be 'variety' in a sports broadcast in the way Wide World of Sports or even George Michael's Sports Machine presented it. It now fully structured and rigid and focused on only one thing; Whatever that thing they are presenting is, be it MLB, UFC, X-Games or what have you.

Personally, I think it takes a bit of the fun out of it but I'm old and will die soon so my opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Still one of the best openers in sports broadcast History though... so there is that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69utdvDcA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Pro tip, they're both dumbfuck trolls who say poo poo to get people mad.
Unlike trolls, I think they actually believe what they say.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there will never be another wide world of sports because there are more than 3 television channels now and no one actually gives a poo poo about cliff diving

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Josh Lyman posted:

Unlike trolls, I think they actually believe what they say.

Nope, Cowherd believes whatever he's paid to say.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah whether or not cowherd genuinely believes the poo poo he says is irrelevant. He's saying it for those sweet sweet clicks and listeners/viewers. Like every other shock jock or wacky morning DJ, he's a dying breed and they can't vanish fast enough.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

So I saw a WIP retweet of some other guy on the afternoon block and wondered if Innes finally got shitcanned (I'm not in the Philly area and haven't listened to WIP for a while) and lo and behold, he did.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

triple sulk posted:

So I saw a WIP retweet of some other guy on the afternoon block and wondered if Innes finally got shitcanned (I'm not in the Philly area and haven't listened to WIP for a while) and lo and behold, he did.

Thank god. Kinda funny that this is what caused it, but he's finally gone!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

there will never be another wide world of sports because there are more than 3 television channels now and no one actually gives a poo poo about cliff diving

eh. Yes and no.

CBS Sports Network is great for that sort of thing. You can tune into it, and they'll just air the most random poo poo. I mean I was psyched to see them airing BTCC, V8 Supercars and Blancpain for example.

I'm kinda hoping that we'll soon get a "pandora" or "youtube" of sports/tv that just randomly airs live/taped programming that matches ones tastes. Seriously, it's awesome when the olympics, final four or whatever is airing for hours at a time because you can kinda just veg out and have it on in the background.

Robnoxious posted:

Nothing ever came close to ABC's Wide World Of Sports and never will ever again. That show ran the complete gamut of everything from bull riding rodeo, to cliff diving from Acapulco, to Indy 500, to Sugar Ray Leonard bouts, to Chris Schenkel calling King of the Hill Pro Bowling, to Evel Knievel jumping Snake Canyon Gorge or the Caesar's Palace Fountain.

As a side note, I by accident saw Chris Schenkel's final broadcast of the PBA on ABC live. It was just kinda on the tube as typical lazy Saturdays go and I wasn't one to ever park it and ever watch Pro Bowling on teevee but goddamn if I didn't get a little choked up as he did signing off for the final time.

Even Cheech & Chong immortalized him in the song 'Basketball Jones' with the throwaway line "Chris Schenkel... don't say nothin'" as they roll down the roster of people that would praise Basketball Jones. I guess Schenkel didn't call basketball very good?

Anyways, the point is there will never be 'variety' in a sports broadcast in the way Wide World of Sports or even George Michael's Sports Machine presented it. It now fully structured and rigid and focused on only one thing; Whatever that thing they are presenting is, be it MLB, UFC, X-Games or what have you.

Personally, I think it takes a bit of the fun out of it but I'm old and will die soon so my opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Still one of the best openers in sports broadcast History though... so there is that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69utdvDcA

I think it did a lot of good because it introduced an entire generation of sports fans to forms of athletics outside of baseball and football. Speaking as a fan of auto racing, what ABC did for the Indy 500 was pretty incredible.

also "CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR" had a solid intro. Not as good as WWOS, but pretty drat awesome in it's own right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_2-O9NQvPE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

Gruden and Collinsworth also sound like they're having fun in the booth

At least for Collinsworth, I'm pretty sure that's because he's half in the bag by the end of the first quarter.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Timby posted:

At least for Collinsworth, I'm pretty sure that's because he's half in the bag by the end of the first quarter.
What can you say, Al pours a mean lowball glass of scotch.
No time for ice son, just top that fucker off.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pardon my Take podcast is pretty good. They found their groove of late. 2-part episode where they interview Scott Van Pelt was great. Tiger Woods called in during it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Timby posted:

We joke about this but for real what announcers literally get drunk on the air

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pat Summerall. Cosell was know to drink during games.

It was a very 70s/80s thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

These days its pretty rare, but you definitely hear the "had a cold/medication" explanation from stations once in a while. Davecrazy's right about Summerall and Cosell though.

In other news, ABC has announced Stan Verrett will take the late John Saunders place on the ABC College Football set.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to Steve Stone, in all their years together he never once saw Harry Caray drinking during a broadcast. Dude was just legitimately that goofy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Harry owned. His calls of fights and arguments were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAhzFOBKrE8

Also his rant on cracker jacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO_x7U7n8iU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder who Steve Stone pissed off in a past life to get set up with play by play guys.